• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K Support : could it have a influence on which Next Gen Console you buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not at all. Not even a little.

4k TVs do nothing for me personally. I dont sit close to my TVs and I honestly dont notice a difference, at all, when sitting say 10-12 feet from a 50" The content isnt there... the means to distribute it aside from bandwidth-cap decimating streaming is not there... game consoles wont display true 4k rendered games for a long ass time.... hell, a single high-end GPU... or even some multi GPU gaming PCs wont that well.

Not for another few years until everything's sorted and as cheap as current 1080p stuff.

KORNdoggy

Until 4k media has mass adoption like blu-ray and 4k tv transmitions I have no interest in it, or buying a 4k screen etc. Pointless.

Mit-

So is Gaf ready for 4k Console gaming? And will PS4K influence you to get a 4K set if you haven't already?

I have a 4K TV but think I'll get a 4K monitor for gaming down the road after the PS4K comes out.

You can get a 4K TV for $300 & PS4K is being made for 4K gaming so there you have it.

I mean, you do know what 4K means, right? 4x as many pixels as 1080p. There's an exponential rise in required performance to render that many unique pixels. Current console games barely run 60FPS at 1080P. Most do not. Most don't come close.

The PS4K will play 4K movies, and it MIGHT upscale games for you. That means for every square pixel of a given color at a 1080p resolution, it will make a bigger square pixel of that given color, made of 4 pixels. Ta da! It makes absolutely no difference in clarity/detail compared to a 1080p screen. You'll just be allowing your PS4 to stretch the 1080p rendered resolution of the game to 4K, instead of your TV.

It's going to be like another decade before games are rendered in native 4K as a standard. Probably longer, as we focus on being able to render stereoscopic for VR (two different camera views of the world at once), and continue to favor effects/prettier graphics instead of higher resolution. The VR headsets we have now that sit an inch or two away from your eyes don't even come close to rendering in 4K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom