• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5 must see movies through-out history

Status
Not open for further replies.

SantaC

If you could recommend ONLY 5 must see movies for someone; what would it be?

1. Jurassic Park

jurassicdtscover.jpg

2. Terminator 2

00802116.jpg

3. Never Ending Story

00000215.jpg

4. Twelve monkeys

1563-large.jpg

5. The Abyss

B00003Q438.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

solid list?

esbern

SantaC said:
mine also actually :D

sweet.

i saw it in 3rd grade....went absolutely dinosaur nuts after it came out. bought this big book about dinosaurs, around 1500 pages long, and memorized every damn thing about them.

i finally saw the deinocherius skeleton in london in august, gave me a huge 3rd grade geek moment.

xsarien

daedsiluap
If I had to recommend just five movies? maybe Jurassic Park would stay on the list, but the rest? 12 Monkeys probably isn't even Gilliam's 5-best.

SantaC

esbern said:
sweet.

i saw it in 3rd grade....went absolutely dinosaur nuts after it came out. bought this big book about dinosaurs, around 1500 pages long, and memorized every damn thing about them.

i finally saw the deinocherius skeleton in london in august, gave me a huge 3rd grade geek moment.

yeah same here. Also, JP1 was probably the most hyped movie in history...atleast close to it.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
You know, I like all 5 movies on that list and all, but :lol .

I mean, really? OK, MAYBE if this list was to highlight some of the major advancements in effects in the last 20 years, then it would be a pretty decent list, but as "the 5 must-see movies throughout history?" Really? Did history start in 1985?

SantaC

MetatronM said:

I mean, really? OK, MAYBE if this list was to highlight some of the major advancements in effects in the last 20 years, then it would be a pretty decent list, but as "the 5 must-see movies throughout history?" Really? Did history start in 1985?

1984? Yeah I am born in 79 so I tend to like the 80s and forward. It's only natural.

Gaborn

Cheebs said:
HOLY SHIT. Have none of you guys seen the classic films? Movies came out before 1990 you know.

THANK YOU. Where's Rosemary's Baby? Some Like it Hot? Anatomy of a Murder? Animal House?

Defcon

Banned
Gaborn said:
THANK YOU. Where's Rosemary's Baby? Some Like it Hot? Anatomy of a Murder? Animal House?

You would recommend Rosemary's Baby to someone? I wouldn't want to put them to sleep.

MetatronM said:

QFT!

Chichikov

The OP was the worst top five list I've seen in my life.
The sad thing it has already been topped twice in this thread.

Gaborn

Defcon said:
You would recommend Rosemary's Baby to someone? I wouldn't want to put them to sleep.

Hey now, it's a great movie, it's a psychological thriller, not hack 'n slash, very eerie if you're in the right mood.

SantaC

Chichikov said:
The OP was the worst top five list I've seen in my life.
The sad thing it has already been topped twice in this thread.

Wait, so I have the worst top 5 you seen in your life, but it's been topped twice already?! That doesn't make sense.

Chichikov

SantaC said:
Wait, so I have the worst top 5 you seen in your life, but it's been topped twice already?! That doesn't make sense.
Doesn't it?
I read threads in order, when I read the OP it was the worst top 5 list I've read in my life.
It didn't kept its title for a long time though.

HyperZone<3 said:
anybody who busts Cheebs on picking more then five can go fornicate themselves.
Vertigo is boring though compared to some of Hitchcock's other movies like Dial "M" For Murder, North by Northwest, or Rear Window.

Futureman

Cheebs said:
Updated my list for you poor kids.

Jesus Christ, top 5 lists with MATRIX on them, NEVERENDING STORY? Wow.

Matrix could be considered one of the best sci fi/action movies ever made, so I'm fine with that. Neverending Story just seems like someone feeling a bit nostalgic.

Cheebs

Futureman said:
Matrix could be considered one of the best sci fi/action movies ever made, so I'm fine with that. Neverending Story just seems like someone feeling a bit nostalgic.
If you think Matrix is better than Day The Earth Stood Still, 2001: A Space Odyssey, the original Star Wars, Forbidden Planet, Alien, Blade Runner be my guest.

Armitage said:
if there's one thing this thread needs it's quoting huge posts

Indeed, I'm glad someone took the time to post pictures of 10 movies so I don't have to read text. However, I've seen the list once already, why do you have to quote it 4 times in the same thread?

Anywho:

1. Braveheart
2. Shawshank Redemption
3. Boondock Saints
4. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
5. The Big Lebowski

I like most of the films mentioned in this thread. However, aside from the ones Cheebs listed, the movies in here are not all time great of history.

Some people need to learn to distinguish between movies they love and films that are great. There really is a big difference.

Futureman

Cheebs said:
If you think Matrix is better than Day The Earth Stood Still, 2001: A Space Odyssey, the original Star Wars, Forbidden Planet, Alien, Blade Runner be my guest.

Wow, that screams elitist movie SNOB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom