• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5 must see movies through-out history

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakitu

st5fu
children_of_men.jpg

003_amelie.jpg

munichmovieposter.jpg

B00004U8P8.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

oldboy.jpg

Mario_Hugo

Lisa Edelstein's dad touched my private parts. True fact.
No particular order:

400 Blows
Amadeus
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Raging Bull

SantaC said:
If you could recommend ONLY 5 must see movies for someone; what would it be?
Completely different from yours.

1984 - Perfect realization of a dystopian future and the novel itself
The Big Lebowski - Smart modern comedy
Hamlet (Zeffirelli) - Olivier's is too presentational and Branagh's is too ornate
Rashomon - I love the "Rashomon effect" style of storytelling
Star Wars: Episode IV - Epic sci-fi that imprinted on a generation

Just missing the cut:
Dead Calm - A tense, small cast thriller where the genre's cliches make sense

beelzebozo said:
inside man was shit, but 25th hour is top-notch. ed norton, barry pepper, philip seymour hoffman, brian cox. . . and again, it has the nuts to have an irresolute finale
I'm with you on Before Sunset, but I think you might want to re-watch 25th Hour because it has a very definite resolution.

Vic said:
The title in english please?
There is one, and only one, rule in GAF list threads:

1) If someone can't identify something, they don't deserve to see it. Only post pictures. Bonus points awarded for pictures that:

a) don't include title
b) don't include title in English
c) link rot away in less than 12 hours
d) aren't viewable due to hotlinking (doesn't apply to imageshack)
e) are just random images from the material, ideally even the artist responsible for the material shouldn't be able to guess the title from the image.

Infernodash said:
I'm surprise that there is no love for law movies... No 12 angry men nor and justice for all on anyone's list. Moreover, where are the disney movies?
12 Angry Men has been mentioned a good three or four times.

Illuminati said:
There was also a John Travolta law movie that I liked and I can't put my finger down on what the title is.
A Civil Action

mrWalrus

Banned
a little more than 5 but I consider these all essentials..

12 Monkeys
City of God
Serpico
Dr. Stranglelove
Chinatown
Trois couleurs: Blanc
To Catch a Thief
Owning Mahowny
Capote
The Graduate
Rushmore
Brazil
My life to live
The Shining

Flek

Banned
i whas just going over my dvd collection and picked up those 5 as "must see" movies:

qqxz86.jpg

swing girls, lost in translation, sympathy for lady vengeance
pans labyrinth, dead run

but i can easily name you like 10 more

cheers

HolyStar

Banned
Keep in mind that I have yet to see many movies that most of you have listed (mainly ones everyone should have watched like JP and Casablanca).

1. Scarface- Has everything about the american dream

2. Pulp Fiction- One of the better movies out there, really good and fun.

3. Forrest Gump- A great, heartworming movie that tells you about the latter half of the 20th century, plus bubbagump shrimp is mighty tasty:D

4. The Big Lewbowski- This movie is so amazing. I can watch it 5 times and still enjoy it.

5. Matrix(first one)- A great movie that shows how dangerous technology can be.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Squirrel Killer said:
I'm with you on Before Sunset, but I think you might want to re-watch 25th Hour because it has a very definite resolution.

no, it doesn't at all. i'm going to spoiler the last part of brian cox's little talk at the end:

"You forget your old life, you can't come back, you can't call, you can't write. You never look back. You make a new life for yourself and you live it, you hear me? You live your live the way it should have been. But maybe, this is dangerous, but maybe after a few years you send word to Naturelle. You get yourself a new family and you raise them right, you hear me? Give them a good life Monty. Give them what they need. You have a son, maybe you name him James, it's a good strong name, and maybe one day years from now years after im dead and gone reunited with your dear ma, you gather your whole family around and tell them the truth, who you are, where you come from, you tell them the whole story. Then you ask them if they know how lucky there are to be there. It all came so close to never happening. This life came so close to never happening."

then ed norton, with his head against the window, closes his eyes and it fades to black. it's completely unclear whether monty ultimately goes to jail or tries to escape

but i'm really glad you agree with me on before sunset. there was a little richard linklater love-in thread a few weeks ago where we talked briefly about waking life, a scanner darkly, etc

This thread is a shame. Way too many new flicks.

How about 5 overrated movies NOT to see.

1. Blade Runner
2. 2001
3. Unforgiven
4. Princess Bride
5. ET

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
PhoenixDark said:
This thread is a shame. Way too many new flicks.

people like movies made in the past twenty years because a subtle shift happened at some point in terms of film pacing. especially with films made in the 60s and 70s that are considered great, the pace (at least, as i see it) tends to be slower and more deliberate. that's not inherently a bad thing, but it does make them more difficult to recommend to just anyone. you have to commit to them.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Illuminati said:
It is a fact that every good movie in existence was made between 1975-1989.

I was trying to say this, and Dragona and some random guy got all heavy on my ass. I have no interest in watching movies from before this time period.

beelzebozo said:
no, it doesn't at all. i'm going to spoiler the last part of brian cox's little talk at the end:
I'll re-watch it tonight, but while I remember that monologue, I also seem to remember
the movie pretty specifically rejecting the scenario Monty's dad laid out.
Maybe Lee's commentary will be as specific as Gilliam's was for 12 Monkeys.

Not that their word is the end all and be all, but moviepooper.com and themoviespoiler.com say pretty much the same thing,
that Monty and his dad are still on their way to the prison as the movie ends.
Now, I didn't even catch the GWB reference that moviepooper talks about at all, but I still came away with the same conclusion so I don't think I'm completely out on a limb to say that the movie had a definite resolution. (In the interest of fair debate, amuseyourself.com supports your theory that the ending is ambiguous.)

Besides, the whole movie is about how
Monty has accepted his prison term. For him to go on the lam would represent a major change in the character's motivation. It's going to take something more than his dad's wishful thinking to make me think Monty has done a complete 180.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Citizen Kane bored me to tears. That said:

Psycho
Seven
Raiders Of The Lost Ark
Dr. No
Goodfellas

tnw

Banned
karasu said:
Green Mind, Metal Bats. I love it beyond words.

I don't know what the official translation was, but 'green mind' is seishun which is 'blue/green spring' which means 'adolesence'

karasu

Hating on genre film is idiotic. I really don't get the critiques about the lists. When you're listing must see movies, you aren't supposed to list shit that somebody else likes even though you have no interest in it. And you surely aren't special for listing a movie made before 1965. There really are some great films being made right now. Why does it matter if they're action films, comedies, dramas, or whatever? A cinephile loves em one and all. Besides, is listing a bunch of fims from the 80' really any more offensive than listing nothing but big budget Hollywood pictures full of glitz and glamour ?

marsomega said:
Gone with the wind should have been mentioned way before other movies.

From a historical perspective sure, but the tide is turning on that film and I hope that trend continues.

karasu said:
Hating on genre film is idiotic. I really don't get the critiques about the lists. When you're listing must see movies, you aren't supposed to list shit that somebody else likes even though you have no interest in it. And you surely aren't special for listing a movie made before 1965. There really are some great films being made right now. Why does it matter if they're action films, comedies, dramas, or whatever? A cinephile loves em one and all. Besides, is listing a bunch of fims from the 80' really any more offensive than listing nothing but big budget Hollywood pictures full of glitz and glamour ?

Not really sure what you're trying to say here. Are you trying to convey the idea that people have personal tastes? I think that's the whole point of the lists. They're all pretty different. Some people won't like a genre, oh well.

Who are the people listing something they don't like? Although I find it irrelevant, one can dislike a film and still find it important and must-see.

I think if a topic is about cinema throughout history, one should try to encompass as many different movements as possible. Give a wide look at cinema. What's the point of making a list if it's limitless? The point is for it to be carefully chosen.

genjiZERO

This is the all-East list. I guess it really should be filled with all Studio Ghibli and Kurosawa films - but I limited Mr. Black Swamp to only my two favourite and disqualified Ghibli because they're not live action.

SevenSamurai%28ITA%29.jpg

whah-oh crotch shot!

hardboiled.jpg

To_Live_Poster.jpg

this movie is Zhang Yimou's answer to Chen Kaige's Fairwell my Concubine - I think it's the best Chinese film ever made.

adrenaline_drive.jpg

very funny film and it has Jovi Jova in it!

Please_Teach_Me_English_movie_poster.jpg

This is the only good Korean film I've ever seen (and before anyone bashes me I've seen a bunch of them). It's absolutely hilarious.

Squirrel Killer said:
I'll re-watch it tonight, but while I remember that monologue, I also seem to remember
the movie pretty specifically rejecting the scenario Monty's dad laid out.
Maybe Lee's commentary will be as specific as Gilliam's was for 12 Monkeys.
Wow, Lee was, if anything, more specific.
Spike Lee said:
For me, it's obvious that this was a dream, a fantasy sequence, of what might have happened, what could have been, what should've been, but alas, it didn't happen that way. Again the Arabic voice, we hear, as father drives son to the hoosegow. He's going away for seven years.
(my emp.)

And if that wasn't enough, the novelist/screenwriter chimes in too.
David Benioff said:
Some people read the novel and weren't sure if this final sequence here really happened, and so I've got friends of my mother who believe to this day that Monty never goes to prison. So in the movie I wanted to have a more visual cue that what's about to happen is a fantasy sequence. And so there's a couple of different things. One is that in the book there's a line that, "for the space of a mile, Monty imagines." My idea was that this was a dream for a mile, this is a dream for that stretch of highway then it's gone. In the movie here we have two different things one is that Mr. Brogen/Brian Cox says, "give me the word and I'll turn west and head over the George Washington Bridge and take you out of here." And so we see the George Washington Bridge approaching and at the end of the sequence we're going to pass by it and that's the last chance for escape and he doesn't take that turn. Another idea was that we're going to go back to Monty, we're going to see Monty's face healing through the sequence, but then we would go to go back to Monty in the car and his face was going to be back to that ravaged face we saw before and you realize that this healing has not happened. And finally it's just the way that spike and Rodrigo Prieto shot these final scenes. using saturated colors using a totally different palette than they used in previous scenes.

...(snip generic Brian Cox love-in)...

And there they are passing the George Washington Bridge. After the premier, my mom said to me, "Are people who don't live in New York going to know that was the George Washington Bridge they just passed?" That's a good question. My mom, she pointed out something pretty smart. Everyone in New York realizes now that they've passed their last exit and they just passed the George Washington Bridge and they are heading up to Otisville, but for those of you living in other parts of the country, other parts of the world, that was the George Washington Bridge they just passed, and Monty's going to prison.
(my emp.)

Eraserhead: Slow, challenging, and one of the most personal, yet unique films I've ever seen. Absolutely nightmarish and superb.

Lost in Translation: The plot is almost nonexistent. The ending is a cop-out. The film is, at times, plodding. So why did I choose this? The mood that this film conveys is wholly unique and the cinematography is refreshingly intimate.

The Shining: Infinitely influential; highly rewatchable.

Wings of Desire: Absolutely stunning in every way imaginable. Such a beautiful film.

The Double Life of Veronique: Again, the mood just works wonders for me here. Enigmatic, surreal, and I highly recommend Kieslowski.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Squirrel Killer said:
Wow, Lee was, if anything, more specific.

And if that wasn't enough, the novelist/screenwriter chimes in too.

thanks man. that is some impressive leg work! worth it for a fantastic film.

you win ten cool points, buster

Lakitu said:
People have to like old movies to have good taste?

Oh I forgot, this is GAF. Nevermind.

No you don't, but dismissing them would be a shame because you would be missing out on some of the best stories ever put on celluloid. It took me a long time to see the great science fiction movie Metropolis because it was made in 1927 in black and white and silent to boot. But what a mistake on my part, that movie is now one of my favourites of all time.

Solo

City Lights
The Third Man
Casablanca
The Godfather
The Last Temptation of Christ

So hard to pick 5. As for favorites, my usual top 5:

The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly
Vertigo
2001: A Space Odyssey
Blade Runner
Oldboy

Yixian

Banned
What's with all the wrong answers? Pay attention class:

143766~The-Treasure-of-the-Sierra-Madre-Posters.jpg

Apocalypse-Now-Poster-C10290024.jpeg

501721~Lost-in-Translation-Posters.jpg

2126-large.jpg

343090020_8a37334787.jpg

Runners Up: The Godfather, Magnolia, The Third Man, 21 Grams, Fight Club, The Big Lebowski

Honorable mention:

1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom