• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50,000 gallons of oil spill into Yellowstone River after a pipe line bursts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribbon

Huh, my parents still live in Richland county.

Yellowstone park is ~400 miles away from the spill for context

Amir0x

Banned
Man oh man, this is such bad timing for Keystone Pipeline proponents. So bad in fact I bet they start passing around a conspiracy theory that Obama did this to put people off the pipeline.

NeOak

Man oh man, this is such bad timing for Keystone Pipeline proponents. So bad in fact I bet they start passing around a conspiracy theory that Obama did this to put people off the pipeline.
Inb4 more Taylor Swift gifs to explain this theory

mdubs

Banned
Jesus christ, its not just "american soil." its human beings that can't drink water anymore. If it happens for KeystoneXL, it will be an entire nation wide industry that collapses. Making the inevitable simple invasion of Canada just that much closer.

Going to be hard enjoying those videya games when americans are living in your families home.

Think about it.

All of Canada deserves to pay $79.99 just for your stupidity alone.

blame-canada-elite-daily.jpg

Sorry friends, I care more about the Canadian economy than the American environment, sue me right?

Keystone is undisputedly good for Canada so it's deeply unfortunate that this oil spill happened. But at any rate, Keystone should go on, keep the dream alive.

Sorry friends, I care more about the Canadian economy than the American environment, sue me right?

Keystone is undisputed good for Canada so it's deeply unfortunate to me that this oil spill happened. But at any rate, Keystone should go on, keep the dream alive.

The American environment stops at the border, right?

I wonder how Fox News will spin this.

"Terrorist Muslim attacks on our freedom"?

Expecting it at 9pm tonight.

---

I hope the people of this community are safe. The city better pay for the water that these people will need to survive through all of this. Disgusting and the GOP was pushing for the Keystone? They can kiss that ass goodbye. Thanks Obama

Ultima_5

tar-sands-pipeline-map-north-america_canadian-association-petroleum-producers.png

i don't get why people make the keystone pipeline into such a hot button issue. do people really not know that there's already pipelines from Canada to US? if they actually cared about the environment, they'd want to get those shut down instead of only worrying about building a new one.

Jeels

Keystone really does seem like the dumbest idea ever and I don't see why any person who is not on big oil's payroll would support it other than a petty desire to piss off liberals and environmentalists.

Thats fine and dandy but do you know how many pipelines are already all across the country? I'm not excusing this, like all energy catastrophes it was likely avoidable and I hope the industry learns from this, but for the miles of pipeline we have running across the US, this is a relatively isolated incident.

Post above me says it well.

ISOM

Keystone is undisputedly good for Canada so it's deeply unfortunate that this oil spill happened. But at any rate, Keystone should go on, keep the dream alive.

That's ok. We here in the US care more about America's environment than Canada's economy. Priorities and all that.

slit

That doesn't even make any sense.

We got a real Mensa member here.

Savitar

This is why we need more pipe lines, to destroy the evil of nature. It's either nature or us.

But yeah this is a first class fuck up.

Did this oil enter the Yellowstone River upstream of downstream from Yellowstone National Park?

I believe Yellowstone River flows North. This report says the spill was near Glendive, Montana, so it should be well away from YNP and should be flowing away from it to boot.

I suck at geography though and just figured this out based on really quick Google searching, so I could be way off here.

Abounder

Banned
Terrible news especially with parts of it being frozen

i don't get why people make the keystone pipeline into such a hot button issue. do people really not know that there's already pipelines from Canada to US? if they actually cared about the environment, they'd want to get those shut down instead of only worrying about building a new one.

image.php

And even if it does, Canada needs Keystone so I don't have to pay $79.99 for video games in the near future.

Canada's near future is fucked anyway

Jobiensis

I believe Yellowstone River flows North. This report says the spill was near Glendive, Montana, so it should be well away from YNP and should be flowing away from it to boot.

I suck at geography though and just figured this out based on really quick Google searching, so I could be way off here.

You are correct.

commedieu

Banned
tar-sands-pipeline-map-north-america_canadian-association-petroleum-producers.png

seems its because you don't know what an aquifer is. Or why its important to not risk a spill over its possible location over it.

mdubs

Banned
jesus christ dude. you come off as such a prick. i hope the next game you want ships broken with crappy day one dlc

Let's not pretend as though if America had to build a pipeline through Canada to sell their oil the shovels wouldn't already be in the sand with everyone cheering the benefit to the American economy.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Oopsies, did I make you mad that I care more about the economy of an entire country compared to an oil spill?

And what's your opinion on Canada's environment?

Well, I guess pollution doesn't stop you from playing your cheap videogames, so who cares, right?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

Thats fine and dandy but do you know how many pipelines are already all across the country? I'm not excusing this, like all energy catastrophes it was likely avoidable and I hope the industry learns from this, but for the miles of pipeline we have running across the US, this is a relatively isolated incident.

Post above me says it well.

The areas this is planned to run over are very volatile. An oil spill would greatly affect the environment in these areas. Also there is a general lack of responsibility when it comes to maintenance or spills.

jesus christ dude. you come off as such a prick. i hope the next game you want ships broken with crappy day one dlc

aw com'on, that's just being mean. other gamers who's not Canadian might be effected by such a curse too you know.

in all seriousness, at least it's winter right now and I imagine the spill would be relatively contained in the area instead of expanding as the river carry it far away. hope they can clean it up soon.

and in the subject of Keystone... I really can't say for sure if it's a good or bad thing. I'm currently leaning towards against it since the job opportunity it creates here in the U.S. side is rather limited and it doesn't really benefit the U.S. economy that much, plus that's a lot of nature environment that'll get disrupte/destory because of the work. imagine if Russia build a pipeline (ignore for a moment there's Alaska up north of you, let's just pretend you got Russia right up there instead) across Canada in order for their gas and oil to flow through. it wont benefit Canada that much and it'll destory a lot of your natural resources, would you be up for it? but, of course we're talking about a different thing here since Canada is our ally and in these sort of things you have the whole "I scrathe your back, you scrathe mine" thing going on. so I imagine at the end we'll have the Keystone up and running amidst public opposition.

Not that it really changes anything, but this is downstream of Yellowstone National Park.
It's not as horrific as it could have been then. Yellowstone National Park is one of the last places where bison roam free.

Still, it's really fucking horrific and I hope Keystone XL never gets approved and the oil sands burn.

Stet

Banned
Let's not pretend as though if America had to build a pipeline through Canada to sell their oil the shovels wouldn't already be in the sand with everyone cheering the benefit to the American economy.

The American economy isn't completely reliant on domestic oil like Canada. And by the way, it shouldn't be. That's an incredible blunder of our federal government, so if the Keystone XL doesn't happen and our dollar continues to fall, you have only that oil-obsession to blame.

KooopaKid

Banned
Fuck this shit. Is it privately owned?
If it is I sincerely hope there's a huge part of their yearly profits that will be confiscated by the government.

Heard about this on the radio this morning and raged quite a bit. I haven't been to Yellowstone yet, it is one of the top places on my list. And now 50,000+ gallons of diesel just went into a river and will probably seriously hurt the wildlife, plant and animal, that depend on the river. Thanks shit heads.

But no guys, putting a pipeline right across the main aquifer for 5 or 6 states is totally not risky at all! This will totally be good for America, people!*

*note: by people we don't mean you dirty poors that actually LIVE in those states.

The problem lies in explaining what an aquifier is to the average person. Ppl will go ??? and continue to vote for pipeline X for the 6 permanent jobs it creates.

The lack of logic in this post is amazing. Something is already bad so we shouldn't care if we make it worse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom