• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50,000 gallons of oil spill into Yellowstone River after a pipe line bursts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thus begins a new cycle of, "well, I guess we should've maintained those pipes a bit better, but fining us for the damages the spill caused is totally unnecessary!"

Getting real tired of this song and dance.

FiggyCal

Banned
I'm certain that with gas prices this low, it would not be of their best interest to finish the pipeline right now anyhow.

Fuck this shit. Is it privately owned?
If it is I sincerely hope there's a huge part of their yearly profits that will be confiscated by the government.

Slap on the wrist probably.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The areas this is planned to run over are very volatile. An oil spill would greatly affect the environment in these areas. Also there is a general lack of responsibility when it comes to maintenance or spills.

Also the Keystone pipeline would divert oil away from American Midwestern refineries and increase the cost of moving an equivalent amount of crude oil through American soil (by about $1.5B per year, as I recall), raising oil prices in America.

There is nothing the keystone pipeline does to benefit America - it diverts resources away from our refineries, increases the pipeline transportation costs of crude oil through our land, exposes us to additional environmental hazards/risks, and undermines our energy security - It does help private Canadian companies ship more product to the international market (via American infrastructure) and provides a few temporary construction jobs in America (while also displacing people from their homes and moving existing businesses/roads)

Nothing but a corporate handout to foreign oil at the expense of American consumers and non-coastal residents

bomma_man

The American economy isn't completely reliant on domestic oil like Canada. And by the way, it shouldn't be. That's an incredible blunder of our federal government, so if the Keystone XL doesn't happen and our dollar continues to fall, you have only that oil-obsession to blame.

Canada really is the cold Australia

-short term corporatist conservative govs
-big with no people
-completely reliant on the fluctuating prices of raw commodities
-absolute failure to diversify the economy
-fuck the environment

Drek

Not that it really changes anything, but this is downstream of Yellowstone National Park.

Rivers run north to south bro (in the northern hemisphere). Glendrive, Montana is southwest of Williston, a few miles southwest of Williston is where the Yellowstone forks off the Missouri River. It then follows I-94 until it is directly outside the northern boundaries of Yellowstone National Park, at which point if follows Rt. 89 in through the park.

That said, this amount of oil would be incredibly dilute after traveling the hundreds of miles it would take to get to Yellowstone, and from a chemicals of concern standpoint it ain't got shit on your average hot spring.

The Keystone is supposed to be built near/over a major water aquafier, right?

Well sorry Canada, cause F' that pipeline.

The Ogallala, yes, where the majority of the great plains gets it's water from:
747px-High_plains_fresh_groundwater_usage_2000.svg.png

This is one of the main points differentiation between current pipeline infrastructure that runs generally along the eastern edges of Kansas, Oklahoma, and somewhere between the eastern edge of Nebraska and the western edge of Iowa. Keystone XL will be the first pipeline to overlay significant portions of the Ogallala. Given that it isn't a very well confined (i.e. encased in non-porous rock) in the upper strata it is also rather prone to having seepage into it.

Another major difference with Keystone XL is that it is intended exclusively or at least primarily for tar sands. Tar sand oils are thicker, require more pressure to push along the pipeline, and are naturally more abrasive due to the suspended solids. This results in an expedited deterioration in the pipeline itself. Supposedly Keystone accounts for this, but seeings how most of the Koch brothers other pipelines leak like sieves because they use the cheapest materials available with consistency, I wouldn't exactly have a ton of faith in that.

The real travesty with Keystone is the government's use of eminent domain to transfer private lands from American citizens into the hands of a Canadian company to ship Canadian oil crude to the gulf for international sale. It has almost zero real value to the American people yet we have the U.S. government acting as the procurement arm for Keystone, all because the Koch brothers own the entire Republican party and a good chunk of Midwest Democrats. It is the very embodiment of government as an agent of private corporations instead of an agent for individual rights and freedoms.

blame-canada-elite-daily.jpg

Sorry friends, I care more about the Canadian economy than the American environment, sue me right?

Keystone is undisputedly good for Canada so it's deeply unfortunate that this oil spill happened. But at any rate, Keystone should go on, keep the dream alive.

Holy shit I thought you were being sarcastic at first

Famassu

Oopsies, did I make you mad that I care more about the economy of an entire country compared to an oil spill?

No, you just come off as a pretty horrible, ignorant & disgusting human being who has very little idea of how bad these things are for the future of humankind, which you are a part of. Being so ignorant and who-gives-a-fuck-y about things like these is pretty naive, childish and, frankly, idiotic. This particular case might not affect you directly, but there are probably some similar environmental disasters waiting to happen closer to yourself that could affect your life if you have such a stupid attitude and just let the oil/mining/other big companies do whatever they want for "the improvement of the economy" (or whatever stupid reason you think this is for) with no regard to environmental protection.

If Bill Gates can convert sewage into water, can't we convert oil polluted water into drinking water?
Of course you can separate oil from water (it's not like they even mix all that well), but these things spread pretty fast with the current so it'll pretty much be impossible to gather all the spoilt water for cleansening.

StoneFox

The sooner we can stop relying on oil the better. Every time I hear about one of these massive leaks it hurts me on an emotional level because I never like hearing of an ecosystem getting destroyed by human negligence, especially in a nature-rich environment like Yellowstone.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
At some point soon this planet will punish us for what we've done and dammit if we don't deserve it. What a waste. What a waste.

orochi91

blame-canada-elite-daily.jpg

Sorry friends, I care more about the Canadian economy than the American environment, sue me right?

Keystone is undisputedly good for Canada so it's deeply unfortunate that this oil spill happened. But at any rate, Keystone should go on, keep the dream alive.

Remind me again, how many jobs (both long-term and short-term) are going to be created in Canada should that pipeline happen?

And how much money will it be bringing in for Alberta?

Ominym

Banned
tar-sands-pipeline-map-north-america_canadian-association-petroleum-producers.png

i don't get why people make the keystone pipeline into such a hot button issue. do people really not know that there's already pipelines from Canada to US? if they actually cared about the environment, they'd want to get those shut down instead of only worrying about building a new one.

There's a reason that those pipes weren't there from the get go. It wasn't like they just had an epiphany one day and found out they could try and put them there.

Famassu

tar-sands-pipeline-map-north-america_canadian-association-petroleum-producers.png

i don't get why people make the keystone pipeline into such a hot button issue. do people really not know that there's already pipelines from Canada to US? if they actually cared about the environment, they'd want to get those shut down instead of only worrying about building a new one.
image.php

My first avatar quote, zomgz

Just because there are pipelines from Canada to US doesn't mean we should just build more of them anywhere & everywhere without any consideration. Each new pipeline will increase the risk of these kinds of accidents happening + building one requires a fuckton of environmental destruction when forest & terrain has to be fucked up in large areas to make the pipeline happen + the suggested pipeline would be built on particularly risky and protection-worthy areas where a mistake like this would be a pretty catastrophic event (and trust me, when it comes to humankind, it wouldn't be a matter of IF a catastrophe happens, but WHEN)

If only we had a cleaner more efficient way of transporting energy needed to power our cars.

Oh wait, we do. Electricity.

Oil isn't just used for cars though.
Plus, shifting to electric cars doesn't solve much if you put up coal/pollutive power plants and don't ramp up cleaner energy sources to meet the demand spike in electricity.

Oil isn't just used for cars though.
Plus, shifting to electric cars doesn't solve much if you put up coal/pollutive power plants and don't ramp up cleaner energy sources to meet the demand spike in electricity.
It's mostly used for transportation. If we switch cars to electricity that will massively reduce our oil needs.

And I agree ... coal should be banned. Instead use solar, wind, geothermal, nuclear, hydropower, tidal, biomass, natural gas, etc.

It's mostly used for transportation. If we switch cars to electricity that will massively reduce our oil needs.

And I agree ... coal should be banned. Instead use solar, wind, geothermal, nuclear, hydropower, tidal, biomass, natural gas, etc.

Gasoline apparently constitutes 46% of oil usage.
http://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=41&t=6

Switching to electric cars would then take a large chunk out. So yeah, that would be a massive drop. A big issue though might be to get people to want electric cars. That might be the real obstacle.

And yeah, switching from coal to pretty much any of those options would be nice.

Famassu

i guess we should just give up using oil! right?
Yes, that is exactly what humanity should try to do. We certainly don't need to risk any new areas with stupid-ass, idiotic oil pipelines that can harm millions of animals (humans included) when things go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom