• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8 minute cam footage of Daytona 3 via Arcade Heroes

GrayFoxPL

Oh shit this dull track design. Someone was depressed making these.

JnVKrQp.jpg

avens

Neo Member
Not that I disagree with you regarding technically better arcade titles but the state of arcades in Japan is far from fantastic, especially for traditional games. We're seeing more and more card and medal based games entering the market with the actual size shrinking last I checked.

SEGA for example had 477 arcade facilities in 2005 and now have 198 centres. I'm not sure about the overall volume of them (I think I recall seeing it in one of their stock reports) but I am pretty sure they've declined considerably too.

I mean it's not videogames land like it used to be, but 198 Segas is still very impressive. Each of them to the very least has 4 racing cabinets (two Initial D's and two Wangan's), usually 8, plus the 8 immense cabinets of the currently popular mech game (don't know the name of that one), among others. For those unaware, these are not 1-level shopping mall centres, and Sega is not the only company, neither.

Anyway, the point is that if Daytona 3 is getting a Japanese release, then the competition it will have is going to be much fiercer than only the western crap we are used to playing. With the graphics shown in the video, Daytona 3 would be the worst looking racing game in Japanese arcades, that not because of the graphics themselves but it just would look so bland in comparison to the games sitting next to it.

New video. Three Seven Speedway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBbLpmbd9SA

To be honest, I am disappointed. This would be awesome as the HD Remake version of the original Daytona USA but this is Daytona USA 3.. THREE. It should have been more like how Daytona USA 2 provided aplenty more.

Oh well, we got 3 more courses to check out and I guess we won't see them unless Sega releases new footages or they put the arcade out on a test location with the new courses unlocked.

I have to double check but if memory serves... the way the CPU is driving and positioned at the beginning of this is nigh on identical to the original. The camera in game and replays also looks the same. It is almost like another HD remaster. But, the original game was perfect so it's not like they could better it if they tried!

Comeon now Sega, i can understand not putting this exact game on consoles, but how about a Daytona 2017 release with a bunch of exclusive tracks? We're really not asking for much, even a port of Daytona 2 would hold me over for another 20 odd years!

Top Bottom