• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

9 months later, Street Fighter V has finally shipped (incl digital) 100K more copies

Neoxon

Eh, bought it on PC around release. Not interested in playing online at all. Messed around with playing all the single player content and modding costumes for some characters but thats about it. Blows my mind that there is no "vs CPU" option. That's all I'm interested in. Have no desire to "git gud" and have my ass whooped online. I just want to enjoy the game and its fight mechanics.....which, for me, I can do in single player content and vs CPU modes.

Oh well, I play mainly Killer Instinct and MKX now though.
Vs. CPU was added last September.

Mr Rivuz

For a very casual fighting game fan, is the game good ? I've been tempted several times in digital sales.
It's good and it's dirty cheap right now, i paid it 19.99 € last week, first season pass included in the price and i already have almost enough fight money to buy all upcoming season 2 characters.

Serious question: why is Rainbow Six Siege thriving on the same model SFV is struggling with? Something intrinsically incompatible between it and FGs?

Well I apparently don't know what I'm talking about, but Rainbow Six Siege is not only in a different genre altogether, it's not 1 vs 1. Teams mean you don't have to have perfect matchmaking to make the online game enjoyable, even if one team dominates the other it's not just you who failed.

Neoxon

Oh geez, had no idea. That may change things for me then
It was around the same time that Urien & the Missions (challenges that net you Fight Money) came out. It was kinda necessary to do some of the Missions without fighting online.

Platy

A numbered Street fighter on 2 of the most active platforms with the most install base selling less than Pokken, a WiiU exclusive is beyond sad.

It is the odd/even curse in full power

inky

So if they fixed all the issues and added more modes (like they should have launched with) and you could pick up the base game + season 1 content for like 30 bucks or something, you'd still have no interest?

Call me when it's all the characters, not just S1 or whatever season they are on. $30 would be a dream, considering that with regional pricing what you talk about is $80 on Steam for me.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Call me when it's all the characters, not just S1 or whatever season they are on. $30 would be a dream, considering that with regional pricing what you talk about is $80 on Steam for me.

It's not going to be "all the characters" for several more years. I don't know why you'd insist on thinking of "completeness" in these restrictive terms when it comes to a fighting game. If you can get 22 characters for 30 or 40 bucks (which you can during any sale) is that not a reasonable value proposition?

I feel you on the regional pricing, but I spent 70 CAD on the base game and have put 260 hours into it. With one character. It's hard for me to sympathize with arguments about lack of value for SFV, or any fighting game.

A numbered Street fighter on 2 of the most active platforms with the most install base selling less than Pokken, a WiiU exclusive is beyond sad.

Do we know how many people are still playing Pokken, though?

Village

Pokemon is will forever be more popular than street fighter, and is a section to themselves at Nintendo that runs its own licensing branding and toys section because how goddamed big it is.

Pokken or Smash are not good comparison points because those things are a bit too huge in terms of potential reach.

For a very casual fighting game fan, is the game good ? I've been tempted several times in digital sales.

If you plan to play it online its great bar a few niggles (battle lounges seem to suck if you arent in USA or JAPAN for example). But you can easily get caual and ranked matches.

If you only want to play single player then I am not sure I would recommend it. Its better than launch however. It has the following:

Story mode - personally dont think its very good. each fight is a different character so you dont get used to using anyone. Its one round and starts so fast you arnt even ready for it to happen half the time. The story itself is pure garbage and not even in a good way. Well accept Zangief. He is genuinly funny / entertaining in this.

pre-story modes - each character has a mini story that takes place before the main story mode. However its 2-4 super easy 1 round matches with kinda crappy art boards with voice overs inbetween

Survival mode - also kinda bad. Has a nice idea where you can spend points between rounds for buffs (power increase, life recovery etc) but there is no endless mode and the AI ramps up in a really bad way. For example medium is 30 fights long and is stupidly easy till about the last 3 fights when the AI can go mental on you.

Trails - I like these and always have in fighting games. 10 Combo challenges for each character.

Basic Vs AI mode - Its bad though as you choose a character, opponent etc and its just that one fight.

Still no arcade mode but its meant too be coming at somepoint as well as some other mode.

However if you go through all that your looking at 10-20 hours of single player stuff depending on skill. Some chars trials I got through in 10 mins, others an hour. Depended on how hard that chars trials are and how drunk I was. Also each easy survival takes about 10-15 mins while normal is more like 30-45 mins a character.

However I think the gameplay is really great and have been playing this game on and off since release. I say on and off but I have spent longer periods of time playing it than not. Before this game I had played MKX for a few months and that was the first fighting game to get me back into what was my fav genre when I was younger (so like 15-20 years). Now thanks to this game its my fav again and I cant seem to get enough.

I really hope they work out the issues.

Just cut your losses and focus on Marvel for the immediate future. Then take some of the stuff that worked from Street Fighter V and make Street Fighter Alpha 4, with at least as much content as 3.

Please provide an example of a AAA game series that's not Nintendo or an EA sports series that does those kind of numbers over a similar timespan.

The amount of games that sell more than 100k over their first 9 months post launch is enormous and way too long to actually post.

The answer is the vast majority of AAA games

Bought the game some week ago, liked it at first but have already dropped it.

Reasons: Survival mode was god awful crap. Difficulty spikes at the last levels...easy grind Before that.

Wished I had bought naruto instead of this game. Cant justify to throw Money on Another fighting game for awhile..

Neoxon

Just cut your losses and focus on Marvel for the immediate future. Then take some of the stuff that worked from Street Fighter V and make Street Fighter Alpha 4, with at least as much content as 3.
They already confirmed again very recently that they're sticking with SFV until 2020 (as originally planned). Ditching SFV entirely wouldn't end well for the FGC, seeing as it's the biggest fighting game competitively.

i mean its a given at this point

No, it isn't. Not with the way Marvel is working closely with all of their licensed games nowadays. They're also looking at the Esports side of things, so the last thing they'll do is allow Capcom to release the game in a pitiful state. The Producer of Infinite even made it a point to mention that the game will be "feature rich" on day 1 of its release. I'm sure it won't have the same issues SFV had at release. Good netcode is a must, though.

I'm still trying to figure out why they put out a season pass, but they haven't announced the characters included. I'll admit I'm pretty ignorant about this stuff, but is that normal for season passes?

Trup1aya

Reasonable expectations can't be that much higher for a fighting game. SF at it's best was never in the same league as Resident Evil, for another Capcom example.

If the game had a better pricing model or the content to justify is price tag, it DEFINATELY would have met is sales goals.

Neoxon

I'm still trying to figure out why they put out a season pass, but they haven't announced the characters included. I'll admit I'm pretty ignorant about this stuff, but is that normal for season passes?
To maintain the surprise, probably. The only reason they were up-front about the Season 1 Character Pass was because the identity of the characters were already leaked by dataminers.

It's not uncommon for the actual content to be detailed but not shown which in this case is characters with premium costumes.

But it's been over a month since the release of the previous character and there is no schedule nor any details regarding the characters (other than they've never been playable before) nor any details as to when we can actually expect an announcement.
To maintain the surprise, probably. The only reason they were up-front about the Season 1 Character Pass was because the identity of the characters were already leaked by dataminers.
But tbh, that's kinda stupid when we know that they're all new characters.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Varies as some games choose to be transparent, but in most cases its part of the marketing roadmap given these things are meant to draw attention to the product over the long-term.

Spoiling the surprise upfront essentially curtails potential interest during the staggered release milestones for each new piece of content. On the flipside, this is putting a real strain on consumers to spend money blindly and greatly limits the short-term gains beyond the dedicated fanbase.

Platy

Do we know how many people are still playing Pokken, though?

Enoght that it is fighting a good fight in the evo player choice with Marvel 3

3Q2xQLc.png

Pokken or Smash are not good comparison points because those things are a bit too huge in terms of potential reach.

You know what does not have a huge potential reach ?

The console that has Pokken.

Ps4 has more than 50 million consoles (december numbers) sold and it is still selling like cupcakes
The WiiU died at 14 million.

That is 36 million people MORE owning the console WITHOUT COUNTING PC USERS.

Street Fighter X Tekken

Release : Mar 2012
Platform : PS3, Xbox 360, DL
Units : 1.8 million units

LOL.

SFV hold dat retail L.

Actually, SFxT took several years to reach 1.8 million.

And, SFxT reached 1.5 million SLOWER than SF5 did (SFxT took a whole year, SF5 took less than a year), which means SF5 is doing better than SFxT in the same time period. Also, SF5 is already planned to have longer support than SFxT, so higher sales than SFxT are likely.

Also, DLC is a large part of SF5's marketing plan. If no one knows how that's doing (and you guys don't), no one truly knows how well SF5 is doing. The CPT bundle that everyone described as 'absurd' sold WAY better than any of you expected. I'd imagine the regular DLC is doing pretty good.

I'm still trying to figure out why they put out a season pass, but they haven't announced the characters included.

Because lots of companies do the exact same thing?

Neoxon

I totally lost track of this game shortly after release. Have they announced the second round of DLC characters yet? Any love for my main Sakura? ;)
Season 2 already started, though it's only Akuma & a bunch of new characters. As of right now, the released DLC characters are...
  • Alex (Street Fighter III: New Generation)
  • Guile (Street Fighter II: The World Warriors)
  • Ibuki (Street Fighter III: New Generation)
  • Balrog (Street Fighter II: The World Warriors, First Playable in Street Fighter II: Championship Edition)
  • Juri (Super Street Fighter IV)
  • Urien (Street Fighter III: 2nd Impact)
  • Akuma (Super Street Fighter II Turbo)

I totally lost track of this game shortly after release. Have they announced the second round of DLC characters yet? Any love for my main Sakura? ;)

Second season has Akuma (who's already been released) and 5 brand new characters. Brand new in the sense that they've never been playable before and have never shown up in a main entry Street Fighter before (pre-street fighter 5).

They already confirmed again very recently that they're sticking with SFV until 2020 (as originally planned). Ditching SFV entirely wouldn't end well for the FGC, seeing as it's the biggest fighting game competitively.

What kind of money do they stand to gain from the competitive scene for SFV? If they focus their resources on making a game that can sell 3+ million copies, that's better for the competitive scene anyway.

Neoxon

What kind of money do they stand to gain from the competitive scene for SFV? If they focus their resources on making a game that can sell 3+ million copies, that's better for the competitive scene anyway.
But letting SFV die would hurt the FGC in the long-run, especially when MvC never really was a headliner for fighting game tournaments (it's big, sure, but it's always played 2nd string to Street Fighter). It'd be the equivalent of ripping the foundation out of a building. It's not like they can go back to USFIV, which is more-or-less dead outside of Japanese arcades.

Season 2 already started, though it's only Akuma & a bunch of new characters. As of right now, the released DLC characters are...
  • Alex (Street Fighter III: New Generation)
  • Guile (Street Fighter II: The World Warriors)
  • Ibuki (Street Fighter III: New Generation)
  • Balrog (Street Fighter II: The World Warriors, First Playable in Street Fighter II: Championship Edition)
  • Juri (Super Street Fighter IV)
  • Urien (Street Fighter III: 2nd Impact)
  • Akuma (Super Street Fighter II Turbo)

Thanks for the update. If I only wanted Ibuki, I could use the in-game currency system to purchase just one character, right? Is the amount required within reach for a casual player?

Neoxon

Thanks for the update. If I only wanted Ibuki, I could use the in-game currency system to purchase just one character, right? Is the amount required within reach for a casual player?
Yes, & you can easily afford her with Fight Money by just beating the existing Character Stories. That said, I should note that Urien & Guile are two of the best characters in the game right now (in terms of tiers).

Top Bottom