• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

9 months later, Street Fighter V has finally shipped (incl digital) 100K more copies

cordy

Banned
Tekken 7 is an interesting situation and I'm very curious to how it will sell. As far as casuals are concerned, they're doing everything right.

T7 has been in arcades for years receiving continual updates. It makes tons of money in arcades which effectively pays for the "base game" of T7 over and over. Harada even admitted that the arcade scene is what allows Tekken 7's content rich console version to even exist. Otherwise T7 may have came out in 2014 for PS4 as a barebones release.

So for casual fans this is great. They don't know or care that this game has been out in Asia for years so it seems, to them, they get a game with a ton of everything for $60 opposed to a game that was iterated on multiple times. Effectively, ignorance is bliss.

For Western Tekken fans a lot are pissed they had to watch gameplay of people playing for years without a release date in sight until last month. And now they have to wait some more.

Tekken Tag 2 also had a ton of content but sold poorly so none of this guarantees Tekken 7's console success. Of course, T7 was a big success in arcades so it might not matter.

I highly doubt it'll do SF4 numbers. Definitely not MK9/X numbers either. It'll be fine with the FGC, sell pretty good and it'll "revive" the series to casuals in a way though for the next one. It'll be given great reviews due to how much content it has and the fact they put out a great game.

Basically I see T7 as a layup for the better selling T8.

Platy

they didn't cater to the esports crowd or the casual crowd. they didn't cater to anyone. all players got a half-assed effort.

The esports crowd had ranked online from day 1

And by esports crowd I mean people who actualy PLAY esports, not esports watchers

myco666

Yeah SFV obviously catered to the FGC/eposrts crowd. Not sure why people are denying it, that's clearly what they did. The issue you need to talk about is how they didn't do a good job catering towards them even if it was their intention. They even screwed that up as well.

There's a difference between catering to a special group of people and doing bad and not catering at all.

Because they really didn't cater to esports crowd more than they did to casual crowd. It was halfassed for both crowds.

The esports crowd had ranked online from day 1

And by esports crowd I mean people who actualy PLAY esports, not esports watchers

Having ranked is catering to esport crowd now?

Platy

Having ranked is catering to esport crowd now?

The only people who care more about ranked online than single player modes are the people who try their hands at evo.

That and the fact that releasing it early allowed capcom to launch the capcom pro tour stuff and got everyone training and tournaments ready

Pompadour

The only people who care more about ranked online than single player modes are the people who try their hands at evo.

That and the fact that releasing it early allowed capcom to launch the capcom pro tour stuff and got everyone training and tournaments ready

That is complete BS.

All I want from fighting games is good online Ranked play. That's it. And I've never been to a tournament in my life, let alone Evo.

I'd trade all the single player modes in the world for one more Balrog alternate color because I'd get more use out of that.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

You cannot possibly believe this.

Also, casuals online is a thing.

Reset

No surprise the game sold poorly. Have you seen Ken? The sales won't pick up unless they fix that mess.

cordy

Banned
Because they really didn't cater to esports crowd more than they did to casual crowd. It was halfassed for both crowds.

In a recent interview with MCV, Antoine Molant from Capcom stated, "A big direction for us is the eSports aspect of Street Fighter.

"ESports is booming at the moment, and we want to make sure that Street Fighter is at the forefront of that. Right now–in terms of fighting games–we're not at the level of League of Legends, but that's where we want to be. We want to be the headline name in fighting eSports games," Molant explained.

This comes as no surprise, especially considering the amount of money Sony and Capcom are putting into the Capcom Cup Pro Tour. With support for the tournament only continuing and growing through 2016, Capcom is wearing its ambition for everyone to see.

"We have the Capcom Pro Tour," he continued. "There are also two UK events which take place at EGX and Versus Fighting. We'll look to integrate Street Fighter 5 with them."

The only people saying SFV didn't cater to the FGC/esports crowd are those who are constantly in the SFV OT thread and those who heavily defend this game. There's multiple articles, interviews, Youtube videos and comments from known FGC personalities stating they catered to that crowd.

You're proving my point here.

Like I said, they did a bad job catering even though they catered to them but they clearly were catering to them. Just because the FGC/esports community had issues doesn't mean that Capcom wasn't catering to that crowd. Hell, I remember someone else from Capcom (Ono or Combofiend even) even mentioning they launched like this because they tried to make Capcom Cup that year if I remember right.

Shit's obvious. They just didn't do a great job at it.

vg260

Sorry ... should have said "the audience who is made mostly of people who care more of online ranked than single player is the esports one"

Still disagree with this. There's obviously some overlap, but having a ranked mode is important for matchmaking purposes even for those who only play online causally.

Platy

Still disagree with this. There's obviously some overlap, but having a ranked mode is important for matchmaking purposes even for those who only play online causally.

The biggest amount of casuals care more about arcade mode than ranked.

Would you feel happier if I said "it is the evo players who would have bough the game regardless of their finished state" than ?

vg260

The biggest amount of casuals care more about arcade mode than ranked.

Would you feel happier if I said "it is the evo players who would have bough the game regardless of their finished state" than ?

No, I don't think that entirely accurate either. I think there's a big group of Street Fighter fans who are passionate about the IP, play online, but aren't "evo players" or involved in eSports in a formal capacity. I've been buying SF game since SF2 and it's incredibly rare when I pass one up. I've never set foot in a tournament of any kind.

HotHamBoy

They are obviously trying to recoup money that way, but they did announce the pricing pretty early on before release, iirc.

"Please pay us $60 now and hope we finish the game in a timely fashion. Oh, but we do have a $30 Season Pass, as well."

IMO they still haven't finished the base game.

Sure is a shitload of DLC, though.

Fight Money was a huge mistake. I wish they would just have made a finished game and sold DLC characters seperately.

As mentioned before, the popularity of the SFII cast is vastly overestimated for some of the guys. Most of the popular characters from SFII are already in the game in some playable capacity with the exception of Sagat (who I do think will make it in eventually). Hell, they didn't bother adding E. Honda or Blanka to the Alpha series until Alpha 3. It's not like SFV only had Ryu & Ken as far as classic characters are concerned. There's also quite a few fan requests that were brought in like Karin, Charlie Nash, Juri, & Urien.
I've been playing Blanka, Guile and Sagat since champion edition, Blanka and Guile before then.

Should have been in there at launch instead of Dhalism, Fang, Karin and Shawn's sister

Where is Fei Long?

You're talking about street fighter 3 characters right now? That's when I checked out on the series until SF4 came back with the original cast again.

HotHamBoy

I've been playing Blanka, Guile and Sagat since champion edition, Blanka and Guile before then.

Should have been in there at launch instead of Dhalism, Fang, Karin and Shawn's sister

Where is Fei Long?

You're talking about street fighter 3 characters right now? That's when I checked out on the series until SF4 came back with the original cast again.

A lot of people checked out with 3 but I really don't know why. It's not like anyone knew who the SF2 characters were when that came out.

Three has some amazing character designs. I'm still waiting to see Oro and Q.

I will tell you what Third Strike and SF2 both had that 4 and 5 don't: awesome, memorable music.

vg260

Fight Money was a huge mistake. I wish they would just have made a finished game and sold DLC characters seperately.

I feel the same.

I think that the smaller core roster is a result of that as well. I can't help but think the roster size was influenced by them knowing they would essentially be giving away about 6 free if you used fight money.

HotHamBoy

I feel the same.

I think that the smaller core roster is a result of that as well. I can't help but think the roster size was influenced by them knowing they would essentially be giving away about 6 free if you used fight money.

That and the obviously rushed production. The game should have been given another 6 months and launched as it was after all the Season 2 characters had released. It should have included all those characters and stages and modes.

FM is responsible for all the bullshit like color unlocks, title unlocks, story mode costume unlocks, etc. that is just obscene.

Don't care about the costume dlc, that's not really the issue here.

Neoxon

Should have been in there at launch instead of Dhalism, Fang, Karin and Sean's sister

Where is Fei Long?

Yes, I spoke of SFIII characters, & Urien was one of the requested ones. Hell, Karin was the #1 request for Japan & ranked in the Top 10 worldwide. Also, fewer newcomers at launch would have spurred the "relying too much on nostalgia" complaints. Overall, they struck a good balance for the launch roster (8 classics, 4 vets who were gone for a while, 4 newbies).

Prototype

The game is really ugly. Just picked it up on a whim. Really should have gone with a GGXrd style, would have looked so much cleaner. Some of models look really gross.

Fraeon

Where is Fei Long?

It's always strange to me reading this kind of stuff. But I guess it explains why when it's said that Capcom dun goofed but there are like dozens of fighting games out there that work better than SF5, they'd rather just complain about SF5.

Capcom fucked up. I already said the best strategy going forward is to wrap up 2017 by finishing Season 2 with extra VS and arcade modes, then move on to SF6 while supporting SF5 with costume packs. Wait till 2021 earliest to get SF6 out.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Not at all. They may play ranked, but the majority of ranked players have no competitive aspirations outside of playing ranked.

myco666

The only people saying SFV didn't cater to the FGC/esports crowd are those who are constantly in the SFV OT thread and those who heavily defend this game. There's multiple articles, interviews, Youtube videos and comments from known FGC personalities stating they catered to that crowd.

You're proving my point here.

Like I said, they did a bad job catering even though they catered to them but they clearly were catering to them. Just because the FGC/esports community had issues doesn't mean that Capcom wasn't catering to that crowd. Hell, I remember someone else from Capcom (Ono or Combofiend even) even mentioning they launched like this because they tried to make Capcom Cup that year if I remember right.

Shit's obvious. They just didn't do a great job at it.

They also catered a lot to casuals by lowering execution barrier, having most story content in SF ever and having Survival which is basically longer Arcade mode. They tried to cater to both crowds. It doesn't have to be either or.

Gxgear

Capcom fucked up. I already said the best strategy going forward is to wrap up 2017 by finishing Season 2 with extra VS and arcade modes, then move on to SF6 while supporting SF5 with costume packs. Wait till 2021 earliest to get SF6 out.

Abandoning the precious few that put up with SFV this early doesn't seem like a great move. I've always supported fighters day 1 despite rarely playing them, and I don't think I will ever pay for another SF if Capcom doesn't fix SFV.

Yes, I spoke of SFIII characters, & Urien was one of the requested ones. Hell, Karin was the #1 request for Japan & ranked in the Top 10 worldwide. Also, fewer newcomers at launch would have spurred the "relying too much on nostalgia" complaints. Overall, they struck a good balance for the launch roster (8 classics, 4 vets who were gone for a while, 4 newbies).

That's why it's maybe not the best idea to let fans decide. It's not as bad as a Mountain Dew name contest, but still...

Neoxon

I would be interested to know how much Capcom make from SFV DLC. I suspect its pretty profitable.
Capcom was able to double the Capcom Cup prize pool with the CPT Premier Pack (where 30% of the proceeds went to the prize pool, with 50% going towards production costs), so there's that.

That's why it's maybe not the best idea to let fans decide. It's not as bad as a Mountain Dew name contest, but still...
Why not? Karin was generally well-received & is amongst one of more-oftenly-used characters.

24_pop01.jpg

How was Karin in any way a bad choice?

MrCarter

The game, in general, is not well received. Season 2, especially, has not been well received. Ride out 2017 as is, and start work on super.

Also, release a damn arcade version for Japan.

Street Fighter V was just horribly planned and executed. Scrap it and start over.

Let's calm down the hyperbole people. Season 2 has only just begun and although some people may not like a few balance changes because it affected thier characters, it doesn't mean it wasn't "well received" - I, personally like the changes, as it's more "balanced" across the board unlike season 1. Arcade version for Japan is coming this year I believe and I severely doubt any company would completely scrap a product and start on a new one, especially after selling over 1 million units of said product - makes no logical business sense whatsoever.

Capcom was able to double the Capcom Cup prize pool with the CPT Premier Pack (where 30% of the proceeds went to the prize pool, with 50% going towards production costs), so there's that.

Why not? Karin was generally well-received & is amongst one of more-oftenly-used characters.

24_pop01.jpg

How was Karin in any way a bad choice?

I'm not sure if that graph is evidence of anything other than the people polled played some Karin. It doesn't say anything as to if she made the game more appealing or not, or what character would have done more for the game instead of Karin.

I mean they shipped a game almost exclusively catering to the hardcore competitive crowd. Should come as no surprise that they ended up selling hardcore-competitive-only sales.

cordy

Banned
They also catered a lot to casuals by lowering execution barrier, having most story content in SF ever and having Survival which is basically longer Arcade mode. They tried to cater to both crowds. It doesn't have to be either or.

You mean the Story Mode they threw into the game 4 months after it was out? You mean they couldn't release the game with that? The Story Mode that wasn't in there because they pushed the game out due to the Capcom Cup and trying to make SFV the LoL of fighters? Where they put FGC/Esports above casuals? You mean the Survival Mode that they included on Day 1 that no one likes when they also took out Arcade Mode and VS CPU (which they added later)? That "lemme take out Arcade Mode with an intro/ending for each character that casuals love and instead introduce this bogus mode?" That's catering to casuals lmao?

It's clear to everyone that they catered more to the FGC/Esports crowd more than casuals and if you're denying this, I'll say it again, you're probably someone who's heavily in the SFV OT thread. Damn near positive of that. They just did a bad job catering to the FGC but that in no way doesn't mean they didn't cater to them more than casuals. When you decide to release a fighting game early to meet an esports/FGC crowd and that decision hinders the casual crowd due to it missing certain features, yeah, that's catering more to the FGC. There's just no way around it.

This should be a no-brainer.

kunonabi

I would be interested to know how much Capcom make from SFV DLC. I suspect its pretty profitable.

I'd be interested to know too. I haven't bought any because the prices are too high and I despise timed DLC availability so I just haven't felt like getting taken for a ride. I'll break down and buy Alex's nostalgia costumes if they ever come out though. It's a shame because if they were reasonably priced I'd have bought all the DLC.

Vorg

Banned
Having played the vanilla version for the first time a few days ago, can't say I'm surprised.

Neoxon

I'm not sure if that graph is evidence of anything other than the people polled played some Karin. It doesn't say anything as to if she made the game more appealing or not, or what character would have done more for the game instead of Karin.
Considering that she was a top fan request, I doubt that Karin's inclusion over, say, Blanka (who's more iconic than popular) was part of SFV's problems.

myco666

You mean the Story Mode they threw into the game 4 months after it was out? You mean they couldn't release the game with that? The Story Mode that wasn't in there because they pushed the game out due to the Capcom Cup and trying to make SFV the LoL of fighters? Where they put FGC/Esports above casuals? You mean the Survival Mode that they included on Day 1 that no one likes when they also took out Arcade Mode and VS CPU (which they added later)? That "lemme take out Arcade Mode with an intro/ending for each character that casuals love and instead introduce this bogus mode?" That's catering to casuals lmao?

It's clear to everyone that they catered more to the FGC/Esports crowd more than casuals and if you're denying this, I'll say it again, you're probably someone who's heavily in the SFV OT thread. Damn near positive of that. They just did a bad job catering to the FGC but that in no way doesn't mean they didn't cater to them more than casuals. When you decide to release a fighting game early to meet an esports/FGC crowd and that decision hinders the casual crowd due to it missing certain features, yeah, that's catering more to the FGC. There's just no way around it.

This should be a no-brainer.

Character Stories were at launch. And yes Survival is ass but it is still SP content for casuals no? Like you yourself said you can cater to certain crowd while doing a bad job at it. They did have some content for casuals even at launch not much but still something. I would say bare minimium was offered at launch (not having vs. CPU is baffling though). Same with the 'esports' crowd. Only two player lobbies, no first to 2 ranked/casual, etc. What was offered was bare minimium.

This concept of releasing the game with limited number of characters and content and then release the rest every once in a while just doesnt work.

People move on.

This game should have been released complete with single player campaign and all the characters from the get go and it would have sold at least 4 to 5 million.

Now i actually want a super ultra version that is complete and ill buy it.

Rezae

I've been playing a lot of SF since SF2 at the arcades, and I just couldn't get into this. Played it a bit during beta and at launch and just moved on. Most of my frustration was from how it didn't respect my time as a player. Way too long to get into online matches. Just adds up over time. I also think the state of it's release is a textbook study on how NOT to launch a game.

Neoxon

This concept of releasing the game with limited number of characters and content and then release the rest every once in a while just doesnt work.

People move on.

This game should have been released complete with single player campaign and all the characters from the get go and it would have sold at least 4 to 5 million.

Now i actually want a super ultra version that is complete and ill buy it.
By that logic, fighting games should never do DLC.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I personally never saw anything that appealed to me about the game. I didn't like the art style, which was largely carried over from SFIV. I would have appreciated a cleaner, more vibrant style closer to Overwatch or Third Strike.

And they didn't really do anything to impress me with new gameplay or features. I'm kind of a fence-sitter with the fighting genre, and I'd really like to see more innovation in the genre. I want them to play with scale and perspective, and do something fresh (Like the leap forward with Resident Evil VII). SFV always struck me more as "Street Fighter 4 - 2".

This is why ARMS is more exciting to me than SFV ever was. It seems like Street Fighter is stuck in this place where they feel like they have to please hardcore fans, which makes the game uninteresting to everyone else.

Top Bottom