• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

9 months later, Street Fighter V has finally shipped (incl digital) 100K more copies

But to do that, they'd have to keep the same engine as Smash 4. If Smash 5 did what SFV did & move to a completely new engine, they'd have to start from zero in terms of character development. This is part of the reason why SFV had 16 characters at launch (in line with the initial arcade release of SFIV).

Do they need a new engine?

350px-PMLogo.png

This little mod shows it's entirely possible to take the game's pre-existing engine and modify it to be more in line with Melee, and this was done by a bunch of small-time modders. I don't think they need to entirely start over. Smash 4 as it is already clearly ripped a bunch of stuff from Brawl.

Castef

Banned
Everyone who plays Street Fighter now owns it.

8 million people didn't play the SFIV series. The same 1.5 million did, they just kept buying the updates.

This new season strategy is more or less a financial failure, especially since I imagine most people are just earning characters instead of buying them.

I don't know what are you trying to explain here, but even looking at the sales of the BASE SFIV, they were more than double than SFV's (3.4M VS 1.4M).

Your theory makes no sense.

Neoxon

Do they need a new engine?

350px-PMLogo.png

This little mod shows it's entirely possible to take the game's pre-existing engine and modify it to be more in line with Melee, and this was done by a bunch of small-time modders. I don't think they need to entirely start over. Smash 4 as it is already clearly ripped a bunch of stuff from Brawl.
Capcom felt that they needed a new engine, at least. Though to be fair, the SFIV models didn't exactly age well (or at least the ones they first made).

Concerning Smash, assuming that the rumors of a Smash 4 port on the Switch pan out, people would draw a ton of comparisons to Smash 4 if they basically carry over the same models from that game. Of course, they could just brand the port as a sequel if they add enough content, but that's another story.

8 million people didn't play the SFIV series. The same 1.5 million did, they just kept buying the updates.

This new season strategy is more or less a financial failure, especially since I imagine most people are just earning characters instead of buying them.

True, but only if you ignore all the people that play Street Fighter single/local multiplayer. Shipping SFV unfinished and still without an arcade mode is what killed it.

Pachinko

This was a barebones project (apparently ONE person did the network infrastructure!), with cash thrown in by Sony. It'd be shocking if it actually needed to sell 2 million at full price to break even...

Pretty much this , I'm not saying SFV cost nothing at all but it didn't have the AAA budget of most games these days. It's perhaps considered a letdown for Sony and capcom who undoubtedly wanted 5 million sales by now but between the DLC (which is a total rip off) and season passes it's certainly profitable.

Their biggest regret is going to be not going F2P when Riot's fighting game eats their cake and becomes the most played fighting game ever, something they could have easily achieved with a better product.

Saddest thing is that this could easily be another SF3 that starts a 10 year hiatus for the franchise.

jett

D-Member

That...makes a lot of sense.

I guess Capcom was content with Sony's moneyhats.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

eh, i played SFIV, entered tournaments from 2010-2012, still play fighting games, still enter tournaments, don't own SFV.

T_V_H

What Capcom should do is stop trying to nickel and dime their way to success. And fixing the netcode would probably help. Shitty online play has been a major source of frustration for me, so much so that I would not recomend the game to anyone.

What Capcom should do is stop trying to nickel and dime their way to success. And fixing the netcode would probably help. Shitty online play has been a major source of frustration for me, so much so that I would not recomend the game to anyone.

It's hard to nickel and dime when you don't got nickels and dimes. :p

L Thammy

It sold worse than SSF4 3DS

Er... Not that I don't believe you, but do you have a source for that? Capcom's platinum list has V at 1.5 million and 3D at 1.2 million.

That said, I think those two numbers are kind of interesting in itself, aren't they?

Spman2099

Game needs a relaunch.

Unfortunately, the time to do that was at the beginning of season 2. I think it still needs it, and late is probably better than never, but the timing will now be janky if they do it. I guess showing a "complete" edition at E3 wouldn't be a terrible idea...

As long as they don't leave the fans who purchased the original copy out to dry, it will be a great move.

They need a second launch as their first launch was a complete disaster.

L Thammy

As for my opinion, while a relaunch would be nice, I still believe that they can't really use the Super name if they want to avoid getting more hate. A month on PS+ (a la Rocket League) also wouldn't hurt. Either way, it was recently re-confirmed that Capcom's in it for the long haul for Street Fighter V, so hopefully they have something planned.

Would it be anyone aside from us message board nerds that care if they break their promise? I find that hard to imagine. I don't think the people who weren't grabbed by the initial release would care if Super happens, the people who bought the game already have either shelved it (and so might be lured in by a Super) or have been playing the new content anyway. Although I'm just guessing.

The main issue I see with a Super version is just that they tend to sell less than the originals anyway (although if it was multiplatform that could alleviate that a bit), and it dilutes the value of the brand when people expect most Street Fighter releases to be just an upgrade.

gdt

Bad word of mouth really kills an online title man. Doesn't really seem like they are turning it around.

T_V_H

It's hard to nickel and dime when you don't got nickels and dimes. :p

I'm not following, who got no nickle and dimes? I do, and Capcom desperately want them. Additionally they wanted me to buy a incomplete game and two season passes. Which in return tells me that Capcom does not have their nickles and dimes, or that a few nickles is all they have. Is this what you meant? :)

krazen

Also keep in mind that the game isnt where it should be even today as far as online functionality is concerned vs the last gen SF games.

Er... Not that I don't believe you, but do you have a source for that? Capcom's platinum list has V at 1.5 million and 3D at 1.2 million.

That said, I think those two numbers are kind of interesting in itself, aren't they?

I thought It sold more than that. What's even worse that SFxT sold more.

aBbz0jm.gif

It's just not good. The game mechanics don't lend themselves to matches with any real surprises. All along I thought the game mechanics were solid and saved it from sucking, but now I'm realizing that it was the game itself that was the problem. It's boring. SFxT... man, I wasn't thrilled with it, but looking back, I'd trade the mechanics and game control of that game with SFV in a heartbeat.

It's not surprising the game sold so poorly. Ignoring the mass market, I find it a terrible game even from a core fan perspective. I used to grind out online in SFIV and USIV and bought literally every version of those games on multiple platforms (360, PC, PS4).

And I don't touch SFV anymore because the net code is garbage and playing with my friends (US to Canada) that I did for all of SFIV has somehow turned into a shit show when I had little issue playing before.

I do love looking like I hit the opponent with a jump-in only for the next frame to be me getting hit mid-way by an SRK.

It's a real shame that the perception of this game became more important than the reality.

The negativity started before launch and the momentum never stopped.

People will just always believe that fighting games played against other people are too hard.

I just don't see how stuff like DotA and CSGO which are at least as difficult to learn as fighting games can develop such a competitive player base but when it comes to learning how to block a mix-up or time a combo it's like asking people to learn a foreign language.

I guess the reality is there's really no mainstream fighting game market at all anymore unless you license big movie or comic characters or have the hook of mk gore and fatalities.

I just don't see how stuff like DotA which are at least as difficult to learn as fighting games can develop such a competitive player base but when it comes to learning how to block a mix-up or time a combo it's like asking people to learn a foreign language.

Dota is much more competitive than fighting games, and much more complicated. Its also HUGE in places like China and Korea which helps

Neoxon

I believe there's a CFN update coming this March, so there's that.

Game needs a relaunch.
A relaunch could be a bit of a sticky situation. Even if they provide existing owners with the system updates, people would complain about Capcom going back on their word.

For those waiting for a version with ALL the content, I assume you aren't playing CoD, or FIFA, or Destiny, or Uncharted, or WoW, or...

And comparing it to NRS games is pointless. The gameplay in those games are always different shades of shit. Even C tier fighters like KI and stuff like Arcana Heart, Under Night and Aquapazza run circles around them. NRS has tons of that ridiculous "content", but it's like an all-you-can-eat at McDonalds.

I guess the reality is there's really no mainstream fighting game market at all anymore unless you license big movie or comic characters or have the hook of mk gore and fatalities.
More people probably watch fighting games then play.
Dota is much more competitive than fighting games, and much more complicated. Its also HUGE in places like China and Korea which helps
It's not more competitive. They are both different genres that require different ways of playing of thinking.

Malice215

Not surprised. SFV won't sell much the older that it gets, and with the negative stigma that it has. Season 2 hasn't done much to persuade others to jump in. Who knows if they're making enough money milking hardcore fans to keep this game supported until 2020.

1.5m is good considering that they sold people a half assed game that didn't work at launch for days at full price + a $30 season pass.

I wanted Capcom to do a relaunch, but who cares with Injustice 2 and Tekken 7 coming. I've enjoyed season 1 in spurts, and haven't touched the game since season 2 started.

L Thammy

How are Killer Instinct, Tekken, and DOA5: Last Round doing? I don't think the fighting game industry has suddenly become more dead than it was before, has it?

And comparing it to NRS games is pointless. The gameplay in those games are always different shades of shit. Even C tier fighters like KI and stuff like Arcana Heart, Under Night and Aquapazza run circles around them. NRS has tons of that ridiculous "content", but it's like an all-you-can-eat at McDonalds.

If McDonald's offered me all-you-could-eat McChickens and McGrittles, I'm not sure I could say no. I'm also not sure that I'd survive.

Toxi

Banned
The donation drive for MKX at EVO is sitting at 7 donors and $135 while Marvel 3 is at $15,000. It's such a weird community.
To be fair, that's about the same dedication Sreeet Fighter IV received post-Street Fighter V.

They'd receive so much backlash from fans and gaming press. After the umpteen super mega ultra XX versions of SFIV that got made, a big selling point was supposed to be SFV being the one SF game that would be supported during this console gen with myriad free updates and changes.

Well, is it really much of a selling point when the game didn't sell anything close to expectations?

How are Killer Instinct, Tekken, and DOA5: Last Round doing? I don't think the fighting game industry has suddenly become more dead than it was before, has it?

KI is doing ok, Tekken is slowly picking up and, IMO, is gonna blow up with 7, and DOA5 exist.

If McDonald's offered me all-you-could-eat McChickens and McGrittles, I'm not sure I could say no. I'm also not sure that I'd survive.

KI had 6m unique players during March in 2016. Dont know the exact numbers on it other than that, but Phil Spencer has went on record saying it has been successful and is the result of them rebooting other old franchises.

It was also successful enough to get 3 seasons, and to hire a new developer after Double Helix got bought by Amazon. New character came out just last month.

Nobody plays Dota in Korea and even in China it is severely outnumbered by other games and dwarfed by LoL.

You're not refuting his point either. The truth is that a 1v1 games will never be as popular as team games because they are inherently much more frustrating to play for most people (little to no social aspect, only you to blame).

Top Bottom