• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

9 months later, Street Fighter V has finally shipped (incl digital) 100K more copies

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I like to casually play Street Fighter, but I never picked this up because I feel like I'll just get destroyed online when I come out to play. Design of the game just doesn't get into my head.

Wonder how many other casual fans feel the same. Because those numbers seem to mean almost everyone who wanted SFV got it at launch.
Not sure I understand. What's different in V compared to 4, for example? Execution is so much easier.
And match-making does take skill into account, you will find similar players.

No, the entire point is the goalpost-shifting that happens as soon as a narrative is constructed that doesn't demean SFV for its launch failures.

Like, what the hell are you even talking about? Are you sure you even know?

SF5 base has no long legs, by all that we see. You claim that it's a game that have been or would be fine with aiming to get most of its sales around launch. This completely disregards the differences in individual games' usage scenarios and sounds ridiculous unless you give it solid backing. Saying it had a big budget like games that are fine with that sales plan is not solid backing.

Hyun Sai

They launched without basic content and expected features and were punished for it. God knows the thought process that they went through to justify its release.

I also really think they listened too much to some elite "Top" players/community in their bubble who made them think tournament scene was all they needed to hit Jackpot.

watdaeff4

i have friends who play SF4 avidly that didn't even know SF5 exists. i wonder if the sony exclusivity had something to do with it

either way it just really flew under the radar for a lot of people.

Ok then

What systems/platforms do they play SF4 on? What systems/platforms do they own?

i don't think it flew under the radar, I think it's more of a situation the info leading up to and post-launch showed it wasn't made for the non-FGC

gelf

It's such a shame really. Even as as a "casual player" I always preferred the Street Fighter system and characters over Mortal Kombat but the package offered by SFV still hasn't convinced me to buy it and meanwhile I've clocked many many hours in MKXL.

Still open to coming back to SF if they offer more in future though.

I also really think they listened too much to some elite "Top" players/community in their bubble who made them think tournament scene was all they needed to hit Jackpot.

I'm not sure who they listened to, most of the pro community is very cold on SF5, duty fighter and all that. Or maybe they just screwed the pooch.

Mœbius

The worst part of this is knowing that Capcom are both unwilling and incapable of turning things around. I mean for Christ's sake when your outlet for information is Haunts making a random post on Reddit saying that info drops will probably happen once every other month you know shit is bad.

They can't even commit to a date once every other month - like, the 5th of every other month becomes SFV update day - allowing the community to get excited, get involved etc. There's just no sense of commitment or willingness to simply say they are committed and stick to some hard dates. It's not enough to say - well, it's hard to commit because of console patch submission lead times etc... Blizzard with Overwatch, Bungie with Destiny, and others manage to do it.

It's all obfuscating the fact that - despite it being a Capcom US thing - the control is really in Japan and those guys do not understand that they need to communicate clearly and openly with their community on a monthly basis - regardless of when the next update is dropping. It's a culture of secrecy and fear at promising something at a time they can't deliver it - they can't seem to grasp that by communicating more, and keeping that channel open and transparent, even if they do miss a date they committed to - the community would be cool with it because, hey, guess what - you kept them informed!

I'm sure the Capcom US guys like Haunts know this, but knowing what Japanese companies are like I imagine saying this explicitly to the heads in Japan is just impossible and even if someone were brave enough to report / request it, it would fall of deaf ears.

So yeah, nothing will change. They'll fail to communicate regularly or clearly; they will update the core game, continue to say they are improving the network infrastructure and maybe actually improve that - but the overall package will remain flawed in every way - thus missing the point while still saying they want to broaden the audience and appeal of the game.

Roni

Gold Member
Not sure I understand. What's different in V compared to 4, for example? Execution is so much easier.
And match-making does take skill into account, you will find similar players.

That's just the thing, I bought 4 and got crushed. That reminded me of how bad I am at these and I just skipped this one.

sinkfla87

I would argue that the donations would largely come from the community, though.
And yeah, I know they will all just switch to I2, that's how it goes. But that game isn't even out to judge its quality and it's also not a 1:1 copy of gameplay either.
That's the weird part for me.

That is true, but is also a direct result of reason number 2. SonicFox dominated almost nearly every single major and as much love as the community has for the game, people are kind of burned out seeing the same person win all the time coupled with shit like Alien's brokenness. I don't think anyone is worried about the quality of IJ2 as it largely builds upon the first Injustice , and that was a great game, too. The beta is in some people's hands (like mine) and I can verify that the game is a ton of fun. Just look at the Injustice thread here, Twitter, Reddit, etc and you'll see how much anticipation people have for the game based on how many people are still dying to get a beta code and publicly demanding one lol.

jett

D-Member
People somehow defending these numbers, wut.

Capcom fucked up, SFV is beyond hope. Honestly I don't know if a "Super" relaunch would even help much at this point.

Release a 60 bucks deluxe version that has all the characters, costumes and content (including future ones) for free, release a 15 bucks version that has the same business model they are doing right now, release a free to play version with character rotation and, I might sound like a corporate shell saying this, decreased gain of Fight Money just to make buying the game more appealing.

Overwatch model + CSGO/R6:S model + DoA5 f2p model.

JediLink

It's never going to recover. They had their chance and they blew it. At this point all Capcom can do is make sure MvC:I is a hit, and then eventually try again with Street Fighter 6.

Not everybody likes getting his/her ass beaten up by 10 year olds over online.

Should have released this with an arcade mode.

Hyun Sai

I'm not sure who they listened to, most of the pro community is very cold on SF5, duty fighter and all that. Or maybe they just screwed the pooch.

I'm talking before the launch last year, and the excuse of Esport and Pro-tour justifying the barebone state of the game.

Varth

lol that's atrocious

where did they go so wrong?

Nowhere. Plenty of people here will tell you everything about this success story and how its a resounding success. Even going against Capcoms own statements about poor Sales at times.

I'd buy it but it's still overpriced in every sale and I don't have time to study how much DLC I'd have to buy together with it currently.

Make well priced complete edition and I'd be interested in it.

ScOULaris

They got more sales than they even deserved, IMO.

They learned an important lesson: Release a finished game and don't try to monetize every tiny bit of content that other games in the genre include with the asking price. FGC goodwill only goes so far.

We consider million sellers bad now?
In this case yeah, because it's clear they massively overshipped and the game only crossed the 1 million sold through mark after being severely discounted, which makes Capcom profit way lower than expectations.

L Thammy

Don't worry, I'm sure that rabid fans will find a way to rationalize how that's actually a good thing based off some completely arbitrary metric.

I agree with the idea that it would benefit from a F2P relaunch, but I think the underlying reality may be that Capcom needs to change how they approach their audience. Besides the casual / hardcore divide, Street Fighter also seems to be a series that thrives on familiarity. Dropping most of the cast of II didn't work out back in 1997, and I suspect that it hurt them in 2016.

At any rate, I don't think Street Fighter V has poisoned the well. People can always skip this game and go on to the next; that's a good thing about gameplay-focused series.

I'd buy it but it's still overpriced in every sale and I don't have time to study how much DLC I'd have to buy together with it currently.

Make well priced complete edition and I'd be interested in it.

It's currently £16 on uk PSN and includes all the Season 1 DLC characters (plus an additional costume for those 6). That's a pretty good deal (especially considering you could then easily earn enough Fight Money to unlock the 6 Season 2 characters as well).

The US PSN version doesn't say it comes with the Season 1 pass though, strangely. I don't know for sure that it does.

Khezu

I would argue that the donations would largely come from the community, though.
And yeah, I know they will all just switch to I2, that's how it goes. But that game isn't even out to judge its quality and it's also not a 1:1 copy of gameplay either.
That's the weird part for me.

It may not be a 1:1, but it's pretty damn close.
The game is pretty much Mortal Kombat with DC heroes and a back to block.

Unless NRS drastically widen how the two series play, they are always going to canabalize each other. There just isn't any point in playing both.

As for quality, it pretty much plays exactly like I1, except with some minor improvements, so everyone knows what to expect from system mechanics. So unless they introduce a bunch of characters that just shit all over the game, everyone expects the quality to be similar to I1, for better or worse.

As for your original point about EVO donations, most of the community would rather just run their own side tournament similar to what they did with MK9 two years ago, so they can have full control over it.

L Thammy

time for that pixel art SF 6

Both art styles are awful for this and the last game.... just don't like this look.

Maybe they could do the Guilty Gear Xrd thing and have 3D that looks 2D. Phoenix Wright's in a similar territory right now, so I'm sure there are people at Capcom that can pull it off. But it would be cool if they can do it in the Fist of the Northstar type style of II.

Having said that, I personally don't think V looks bad or that the look affected sales. It's a lot like Street Fighter III. But I'll agree that IV always looked like garbage.

Neoxon

Don't worry, I'm sure that rabid fans will find a way to rationalize how that's actually a good thing based off some completely arbitrary metric.

I agree with the idea that it would benefit from a F2P relaunch, but I think the underlying reality may be that Capcom needs to change how they approach their audience. Besides the casual / hardcore divide, Street Fighter also seems to be a series that thrives on familiarity. Dropping most of the cast of II didn't work out back in 1997, and I suspect that it hurt them in 2016.

At any rate, I don't think Street Fighter V has poisoned the well. People can always skip this game and go on to the next; that's a good thing about gameplay-focused series.
Not exactly an apt comparison considering that SFIII started with 2 SFI/II characters & ended with 4. SFV on the other hand started with 8 SFI/II characters (9 counting Birdie), which is half the base roster (or more counting Birdie) & is currently at 11 (12 counting Birdie) with the DLC inclusions of Guile, Balrog/Boxer, & Akuma. The only missing SFI/II character who's actually popular is Sagat, who I wouldn't be surprised if he was headlining Season 3 or maybe a SF 30th Anniversary Character Pack. The others' popularity, such as Blanka & E. Honda, is kinda overestimated (& the game could definitely live without Dee Jay or T. Hawk, even though I personally don't mind either of them).

As for my opinion, while a relaunch would be nice, I still believe that they can't really use the Super name if they want to avoid getting more hate. A month on PS+ (a la Rocket League) also wouldn't hurt. Either way, it was recently re-confirmed that Capcom's in it for the long haul for Street Fighter V, so hopefully they have something planned.

F2P version with 2 rotating character. No Ability to buy others through fight money unless you buy enough to be considered a premium account.

I don't get it why SFV had to be an exclusive title. I think it harmed the sales and probably harmed a successful franchise in a big way.

I get why Capcom made games like Monster Hunter as an exclusive, because it is a handheld game first and 3DS is the only viable handheld, but SFV is a mainstream fighting game for consoles.

To make an multiplatform franchise suddenly exclusive is a stupid move. It's not even a Bayonetta 2 situation where a game desperately needed money to be made.

I don't get it why SFV had to be an exclusive title. I think it harmed the sales and probably harmed a successful franchise in a big way.

I get why Capcom made games like Monster Hunter as an exclusive, because it is a handheld game first and 3DS is the only viable handheld, but SFV is a mainstream fighting game for consoles.

To make an multiplatform franchise suddenly exclusive is a stupid move. It's not even a Bayonetta 2 situation where a game desperately needed money to be made.

Except that being "exclusive" (It's on PC too) is not why SFV bombed. And without Sony "exclusivity" = No SFV.

But it was.

Except it kinda is? Sony wanted SFV to come out faster than expected and exclusively on their console. It was either that or wait until close to 2020 to release it on everything. Capcom doesn't have a lot of money these days. The majority of their releases this gen are HD re-releases of past gen titles.

Castef

Banned
Dude, man. It's been nearly a year, and it's SFV, and Capcom sinks a lot of marketing money into this. All sales have been frontloaded and it's not even close to the 2 million they wanted back in MARCH.

Yes, it's bad.

I think this is mitigated by the money Sony paid for the exclusivity.

So, most probably Capcom is ok with this. Or, at least, they did not lose money on it.

Arkeband

Banned
The worst part right now is how long it takes for matches to start, and of course the lack of a pro patch to bring it in line with the PC version.

Neoxon

The worst part right now is how long it takes for matches to start, and of course the lack of a pro patch to bring it in line with the PC version.
Funny thing about loading times. At least in Versus Mode, SFV typically takes around 18-20 seconds to load on the PS4 (someone in the SFV OT mentioned this, & some stop-watch timing on my end had similar results). As of January 23rd, Harada mentioned that they got Tekken 7's loading times from a minute down to 15-18 seconds. Of course, perhaps Bandai Namco could go further in reducing the loading times. But if they stop there &/or can't go any further, the loading times may have more to do with Unreal Engine 4 (the engine that runs both SFV & T7) than anything else. But again, this all depends on if Bandai Namco can further optimize the console release of Tekken 7 before June.

Castef

Banned

It was not just this.

SFV was already in development or planning phase. Ono said the game would not be ready before 2018. That was in august, 2013. And that made a lot of sense: SFIV has been a great best-seller for Capcom, funding SFV was a no-brainer for them.

Then... "something" happened. Sony came in and magically:
- Capcom "had no budget" for the fifth installment of their best-selling franchise
- The game HAD to be puhlished way before the timing hinted by Ono, development was probably (??) rushed

And we've got SFV.

Now, believe what you want about Ono, Capcom or Sony said about this... my idea will always remain the same: SFV had to be devleoped independently, just like it happened with the previuos entries. Sony's deal damaged the game.

And no, I don't believe the "budget" issue at all. That was just to justify Sony involvement.

As many have already said Capcom can only blame themselves. Should have delayed the initial launch until they could at least deliver basic features but no they wanted to launch with a 60$ beta/demo and so besides the die hards thats how the sales ended up.

A Super Street Fighter V might help a little bit but honestly I think they should take the KI route at this point and release a version of the game for free digitally (very small selection of characters but fully featured with those characters, and you rotate them) and then you can choose to buy the game if you enjoy it and want extra characters or if you only play/care about certain characters then you can just buy those individually.

I just hope this sends a clear message to Capcom and other publishers to NOT LAUNCH AN UNFINISHED GAME but this industry doesn't seem to really listen to shit like that until it effects them personally.

krazen

Sucks.

Fans insist nothing is wrong and that the loss of casuals are no big deal on some...

"If casuals cared about a complete game they would have rushed to buy it 5 months later after it started to look complete!" as if this casual fanbase is waiting anxiously around for Capcom's next move.

And Capcom's apparently too stubborn for a re-release since they are insistent on making it a 'games as a service' trial.

Right now im just hoping these mistakes make sure that Marvel Vs Capcom is treated with the respect it deserves, it becomes successful, and it helps Capcom learn how to approach the next game in the proper SF series, be it a re-release or something else.

Problem is, Capcom seems to forget these lessons every generation or so, LOL

Sakurai was right

Now there will never be a Melee 2, good job Capcom

Eh, no one is saying Sakurai has to forgo all the additional content in Smash in order to appeal to the competitive crowd and rush the game out to EVO like what Capcom did with this game. If a hypothetical new Smash game retained most of the characters and content from Smash 4 all while making the core gameplay more like Melee, it'd still sell like hotcakes.

Mit-

Everyone who plays Street Fighter now owns it.

8 million people didn't play the SFIV series. The same 1.5 million did, they just kept buying the updates.

This new season strategy is more or less a financial failure, especially since I imagine most people are just earning characters instead of buying them.

Neoxon

No one is saying Sakurai has to forgo all the additional content in Smash in order to appeal to the competitive crowd and rush the game out to EVO like what Capcom did with this game. If a hypothetical new Smash game retained most of the characters and content from Smash 4 all while making the core gameplay more like Melee, it'd still like hotcakes.
But to do that, they'd have to keep the same engine as Smash 4. If Smash 5 did what SFV did & move to a completely new engine, they'd have to start from zero in terms of character development. This is part of the reason why SFV had 16 characters at launch (in line with the initial arcade release of SFIV).

Top Bottom