• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Boy and his Blob [Wii] - 2D platformer by WayForword

ratcliffja said:
and it's one game about which I was very sad upon hearing of its previous cancellation.

Are you referring to the DS game? No reason to be sad, really - it was from a shit developer and had horrible 3D art.

a-boy-and-his-blob-20050521000007990-82a.jpg

Father_Brain said:
Are you referring to the DS game? No reason to be sad, really - it was from a shit developer and had horrible 3D-rendered art.

Yeah, I was just sad that it was of such poor quality that it was canceled. I'm going to make sure that I buy everybody working on the project something nice like a chia pet or something so that I can get in the Special Thanks section of the credits.

Taxman

ratcliffja said:
Edit: Taxman is my roommate. So if you want to hear all about the latest rumblings on him, his future plans, and a list of his allergies, just let me know.
I kill you dead, scum!

I got the original for Christmas one year and was looking forward to the DS one until I realised it had probably been cancelled. I'm loving the art style of this new one though - it fits the series so much better than the original or DS remake/sequel ever did.

The original was really quite confusing though. I loved exploring the caves for treasure, though at first I couldn't find a way to get into them without opening up a hole at the top of a HUGE cavern and falling to my doom. I think I also managed to get Blobert to eat a Ketchup jellybean one time - he turned into a brick wall. I could never get past those damned Cherry Bombs on Blobolonia though.

Great, now I have the city theme going in my head. DOO doo DOO doo DOO DOO DOOO babababapapa babababababapapa .....

ratcliffja said:
Music to my ears, my friend. I'm glad to see people as excited about the project as I am. It was the first new project I heard about after starting here at WF, and it's one game about which I was very sad upon hearing of its previous cancellation. Now it's not only coming out, but my company is producing it. I can't really say anything about it, though... not due to NDA, but because I haven't even seen anything other than some humorous drawings in the break room.

Edit: Taxman is my roommate. So if you want to hear all about the latest rumblings on him, his future plans, and a list of his allergies, just let me know.

Would you know if the game supports 480p and 16:9?

The screens in those blurry pages look like they're in 4:3, so I wanted to ask about that.

legend166 said:
oh man the things i could tell you about ratcliff.

THE THINGS I COULD TELL YOU.

You know I love you, Andy. Anyway, I know very little about the game itself. It is in fact a Majesco game. Also, I'm currently deleting the source code of it from this computer. Don't worry, it's on other computers as well. Sadly, I won't be working on it most likely. I do have another undisclosed project, however. I can't say much other than to say that it will potentially rock the very foundation of what you believe about life, the universe, and everything.

TreIII

Dragona Akehi said:
You had me at WayForward. <3

*high fives*

But really...GYAT DAMN. A BOY AND HIS BLOB?! THAT'S SO AWESOME!

Day 1, whenever this comes out. I'm all for supporting Wayforward, and what could be yet another stylish remake of a NES classic.

And the fact that it's a RETAIL release? BRAVO.

pakkit

Banned
ratcliffja said:
I do have another undisclosed project, however. I can't say much other than to say that it will potentially rock the very foundation of what you believe about life, the universe, and everything.
What about a platform? Eh? Eh? *ribs*

pakkit said:
What about a platform? Eh? Eh? *ribs*

It is for one of the following systems: DS, Wii, PC, PSP, XBox 360, PS3, PS2, PS1, Nintendo 64, Super Nintendo, Turbo Grafx-16, Commodore 64, or Intellivision. Just kidding, it's a cd-i game.

TreIII

ratcliffja said:
It is for one of the following systems: DS, Wii, PC, PSP, XBox 360, PS3, PS2, PS1, Nintendo 64, Super Nintendo, Turbo Grafx-16, Commodore 64, or Intellivision. Just kidding, it's a cd-i game.

...Whatever it is, if it's anything related to Shantae, I would be willing to move heaven and earth, to get to play it. :D

...I'm serious. It's been too long since we've seen her. She's been such a tease, having a promo for a GBA game that never released!

Taxman informs me that sarcasm isn't understood well via the Internet. I have confidence that the game on which I am working could be a good game, but keep in mind that this is a game that they are assigning to new hires. Please have realistic expectations.

TreIII said:
She's been such a tease, having a promo for a GBA game that never released!
You should see some of the demos for games that never saw the light of day. Let's just say the game they pitched that got them hooked up with Konami was quite impressive for when it was produced.

You WFers know which I'm talking about, right?

pakkit

Banned
ratcliffja said:
No Dreamcast support?

Wayforward -1

RocketDarkness said:
You should see some of the demos for games that never saw the light of day. Let's just say the game they pitched that got them hooked up with Konami was quite impressive for when it was produced.

You WFers know which I'm talking about, right?

No I don't. PM it to me if you don't mind. Then again, this is my first day, so that is probably why.

ratcliffja said:
No I don't. PM it to me if you don't mind. Then again, this is my first day, so that is probably why.
Ah, hmm. If you have full SVN access, poke around a bit and you'll find it. I think they have a folder full of old demos.

TreIII

RocketDarkness said:
Ah, hmm. If you have full SVN access, poke around a bit and you'll find it. I think they have a folder full of old demos.

;_;

*is said he won't get to see what you both are talking about, and would like to see Shantae VERY, VERY much...*

Captain Smoker said:
Nintendo Power lists it as a retail game in their game index:

A Boy and His Blob (Wii)
http://nintendopower.com/images/NP240_TOCs.pdf

(WW) would be WiiWare

Imagineering

Jesus Christ. Back in the day I said that the Wii would be the rebirth of 2D gaming at retail. It looks like I may be right. Seriously: Super Paper Mario, Wario Land Shake It!, Broken Sword, Muramasa, and now this?

Developers and publishers at least try to follow this market please.

a retail, full-on 2D game.
(me does a happy dance)

and to the apparently many WayForworders here, I loved the shit outta Contra 4. You have my full confidence and likely eventual monies to make the best durn 2D adventure/puzzle game you can.

Tron 2.0

Yes! The Game Boy game kicked my ass as a kid. I could never get past the first five minutes.

I'm even more excited that it's retail and not WiiWare.

Great to see full-on 2D games on consoles but A Boy and His Blob...bah. Original sucked and I have no nostalgia for it, thus no desire to see someone make a good version. Why couldn't they have picked up a better title to rejuvenate...oh well.

Shiggie

XiaNaphryz said:
Errr, it's posted in the OP as a blurred link, since scans aren't allowed.
Thats not a scan. Nintendo mag released it blurred... I guess they changed their minds.

I was massively confused with the original back in the day when I was a kid. Maybe I should pull out my NES and give it a try.

A Boy and His Blob wouldn't have been my first choice for a revival, but the fact that it's a full on 2D retail game from WayForward is enough to make my pants tight. This sort of software is the perfect direction for Wii imo, I only wish more publishers would throw their weight behind similar projects. Hell, I'd prefer seeing Kid Icarus get this sort of treatment over a 3D Factor 5 effort any day of the week.

Top Bottom