• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A few comments from Nomura on FFVII:R

Eblo

Glad to see they've got the right attitude about how to do things. Now we just have to see if they can resist temptations.

More than anything, I hope they don't mess with the personality of FF7. It's unfairly painted as a gloomy, mopey, depressed game, but it's adventurous and goofy, and Cloud himself is way more complex than a lot of people give him credit for.

You're so right. And I fear there's no way they won't totally blow it. Even Kingdom Hearts has become this dark, complex, moody game in its sequels and that series more than any should not take itself so seriously.

I was as excited as everyone else to see the announcement but I just don't trust Square Enix and, more specifically, Nomura's direction.

Abdiel

I still think its comes out on xbox one. If it were exclusive to Sony they would have made it clear it was at least a console exclusive. They choose their words very carefully for these announcements, and first on consoles does not equal console exclusive. I don't know what all Kagari knows, but for all we know Square Enix could be negotiating an xbox release still. I expect it to be exclusive for 6 months to a year and then come out on xbox and PC with little marketing. It will move ps4s big time and the general public will assume its ps4 only which is all Sony cares about anyways.

Oy. Kagiri has said in this, and other threads, that the sales of Japanese games on the XB1 platform are, if anything, discouraging them from bringing more games to the platform. The audience isn't there. I've talked about the retail perspective, I mean, the trends for game sales are not good in that sense.

And in many of these situations, Sony is actively talking with these Japanese developers to give them the money to make the games at all, to make their console have that continued brand power as the home for Japanese games.

I just don't see anything to give them a reason to bring this game over. People using the 'evidence' of XV and KH3 need to remember that was announced before the generation started, and since then, the generation has taken a very distinct slant, that is not favorable for the XB1 in general, let alone for competing for the audience of Japanese games.

Khayam

Banned
I don't know how to deal with the fact that this game has been spoiled to death. Especially that scene with Aeris.

MilkBeard

I don't know how to deal with the fact that this game has been spoiled to death. Especially that scene with Aeris.

Fortunately for you, FFVII as a game is one of the most varied in terms of event scenarios....there are many, many things about the game that are memorable; that scene with Aeris is just one of many. There is plenty of reason to play even though big things are spoiled. There are also a lot of deeper subplots that get a bit complicated as well. Don't worry about it.

It will also be interesting to see what changes are made, if any. So that might help with the surprise.

Oy. Kagiri has said in this, and other threads, that the sales of Japanese games on the XB1 platform are, if anything, discouraging them from bringing more games to the platform. The audience isn't there. I've talked about the retail perspective, I mean, the trends for game sales are not good in that sense.

And in many of these situations, Sony is actively talking with these Japanese developers to give them the money to make the games at all, to make their console have that continued brand power as the home for Japanese games.

I just don't see anything to give them a reason to bring this game over. People using the 'evidence' of XV and KH3 need to remember that was announced before the generation started, and since then, the generation has taken a very distinct slant, that is not favorable for the XB1 in general, let alone for competing for the audience of Japanese games.

I think FF7 is a totally different beast. There are a ton of people who don't play jrps anymore that will buy it for the nostalgia. I was a huge final fantasy fan, but i don't play jrps anymore. My tastes changed and I like more dude bro games and wrpgs. However, I and all my fiends will buy ff7 if it comes out on xbox.

Artanisix

ihope sepirot is a secret character u can use !!

it will be so tight to be selphiroth in the battle with your team against... WEAPON !!!!!!

Paltheos

He knew all along....he knew !

481409iLmAyOFGnAGWH.gif

He got us good. He fooled everybody. Everybody.

Abdiel

I think FF7 is a totally different beast. There are a ton of people who don't play jrps anymore that will buy it for the nostalgia. I was a huge final fantasy fan, but i don't play jrps anymore. My tastes changed and I like more dude bro games and wrpgs. However, I and all my fiends will buy ff7 if it comes out on xbox.

There's just no signs to have any hope of that happening. These projects are taking place because of Sony's push, and the knowledge that their platform has the fanbase. I'm not saying this as some fanboy statement, but just from the realities of the retail market I work in, and the larger trends of how Sony is actively putting their money where their mouth is for keeping Japanese gaming relevant... The Xbox platform possesses almost nil chance for these games being brought to their audience.

How the new, slightly darker aesthetic sits with some of the crazier elements of the original game remains to be seen, but it seems there'll be intact. Can't wait to see the delicious sight of Cloud in a dress in glorious HD? "Please look forward to it," said Nomura as the interview came to a close.
lol, fuck yes.

LOL, yes. Good choice if so, good for fans, keep those elements that are still doable atleast.

Imagine if the December troll was not actually a troll and was actually a marketing ploy because they knew people would ask for a proper remake, and then when E3 came around they could say they did the game only because fans asked for it, and fans would love them for pouring AAA money on whatever they asked for =O

But this is not true since we're talking about SE's marketing here.

Mikey Jr.

I have to head out for a bit, I'll answer those questions when I get back.

1 more question.

Is SE doing this in house or is it an outside studio?

If in house, will this take the place of FF 16? (Like, if this didn't exist, ff16 would come out faster)

Really just wondering how big is this for Square?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
What if this game became the next versus and gets delayed into infinity?

If CC2 is making it(and its very possible they are atleast helping with production if not outright developing it outsourced style), that won't be an issue.

Also, i wonder if Nojima will add the
tifa and cloud implied sex
back into the game -teehee-

There's just no signs to have any hope of that happening. These projects are taking place because of Sony's push, and the knowledge that their platform has the fanbase. I'm not saying this as some fanboy statement, but just from the realities of the retail market I work in, and the larger trends of how Sony is actively putting their money where their mouth is for keeping Japanese gaming relevant... The Xbox platform possesses almost nil chance for these games being brought to their audience.

I honestly think you are underestimated FF7's ability to transcend the normal demographics. FF7 would sell enough on xbox in america to warrant a xbox version. This isn't ff type O or 13-2, this is arguably the most popular game of all time being re-made. Also Sony can still make money by publishing and allowing it to hit other platforms. Mass Effect came out on PS3 eventually and MS published it. MS is going to let future iterations of minecraft come out on sony platforms. The deals they make for these games are complex and how Sony is going to profit from whatever interest they bought in the game from Square Enix would prob require reading a 50 page contract. It may not ever come out on xbox, but the door isn't shut until its shut.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Square would be smart toget Crisis Core up on the digital store right away to take advantage of the FF7 love right now. Sadly won't happen :(

SOLDIER

If CC2 is making it(and its very possible they are atleast helping with production if not outright developing it outsourced style), that won't be an issue.

Also, i wonder if Nojima will add the
tifa and cloud implied sex
back into the game -teehee-

Passionate kissing, fade to black.

Enough of vague hand-holding or whatever.

It's been 20 years, the Claeris fans should be over it.

Especially because Zack is the sexier choice.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Just remembered this article from 11 months ago: http://www.gamerheadlines.com/2014/07/cyberconnect2-want-to-work-on-final-fantasy-vii-remake/

When asked in an interview on his work preferences for the future, president of CyberConnect2; Hiroshi Matsuyama said:

“For now I’m really dedicated to adaptations of Naruto and JJBA. Working on a new project requires more time as was the case. The .Hacks came out of the minds of teams at CyberConnect2. However, if I have to work on another project I’d like to work on a possible remake of Final Fantasy VII.”

So unless he was giving us a big hint, production started less than 11 months ago.

FuturusX

What if this game became the next versus and gets delayed into infinity?

Naturally any game can suffer that fate. But I do feel that SE is aware of the importance of nailing releases going forward. Today's conference felt like a statement of renewed intent, a commitment to releasing the kind of products that brought them all the critical and financial success.

This game has to hit close enough to the 20th anniversary as possible. That's important from a marketing perspective. Foolish perhaps, but I am confident they'll make it.

Abdiel

I honestly think you are underestimated FF7's ability to transcend the normal demographics. FF7 would sell enough on xbox in america to warrant a xbox version. This isn't ff type O or 13-2, this is arguably the most popular game of all time being re-made. Also Sony can still make money by publishing and allowing it to hit other platforms. Mass Effect came out on PS3 eventually and MS published it. MS is going to let future iterations of minecraft come out on sony platforms. The deals they make for these games are complex and how Sony is going to profit from whatever interest they bought in the game from Square Enix would prob require reading a 50 page contract. It may not ever come out on xbox, but the door isn't shut until its shut.

When ME was brought to PS3, it was part of the trilogy after EA bought the publishing rights, so it wasn't published by MS on PSN, but that's not really the point. The point is that Sony and Square are already falling in alignment for this generation, and if Sony is putting down money to make sure this is happening, it's to make sure it happens on their platform, to make it the continued place for Japanese titles.

Look, I understand why you want to be hopeful, but saying that there are people who would buy it on XB1 isn't the issue. The issue is that it has already shown itself to be a low priority for MS in terms of Japanese games/presence, and Sony on the other hand puts a great deal of importance for that. The split for Japanese games is astronomically in favor of the PS4, and unless you know the exact costs of porting to hardware, and then localizing in all the relevant territories, you can't guarantee anything.

If it were something that Square was confident that it would be a serious loss for them, they wouldn't have made a deal in the first place. SE's conference today showed Star Ocean 5, Nier 2, FFVIIR, and World of Final Fantasy as PS4 (/Vita for the last one) exclusives. All of their Japanese titles were Sony exclusive, because Sony is throwing down the cash for it, and that's where the audience is.

The Western titles will likely continue to be on both XB1/PS4, because the XB1 audience buys primarily western games, almost exclusively.

Passionate kissing, fade to black.

Enough of vague hand-holding or whatever.

It's been 20 years, the Claeris fans should be over it.

Especially because Zack is the sexier choice.

Zack/Aerith

Cloud/Tifa.

True Pairings, yo.

Bluenoser

I'm giddy thinking about Barrett and Cloud up in a ventilation shaft spying on Shinra while Scarlett complains about the smell in the boardroom. I CAN'T WAIT!

Top Bottom