• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A guy drowns an ants colony with hot aluminum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aylinato

You call that an ant colony? now this, is an ant colony:

bil_13-2_magazin-lightbox_22_1.jpg

I need to know more.

Eric C

Well people destroy ant colonies just because they're a nuisance, and most people don't really care too much.

I guess if something this awesome looking can be the result it's better than just destroying the colony and getting nothing at all from it.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
think about how shitty and hostile humans are. what if some race that is orders up orders of magnitude more advanced than use were to find us, see how much of a nuisance we were, and then quickly destroy us? would that be okay? If not, what changes the situation when we're talking about ants and humans, and we are on the ones on top?

Insaniac

Unless humans went totally out of there way to spray ant killer to the point of lethality to humans, I don't think this one ant colony is going to make a significant impact on insect population

think about how shitty and hostile humans are. what if some race that is orders up orders of magnitude more advanced than use were to find us, see how much of a nuisance we were, and then quickly destroy us? would that be okay? If not, what changes the situation when we're talking about ants and humans, and we are on the ones on top?

I hope when I'm on my death bed aliens just come and hot aluminum the whole fucking earth.

Toxi

Banned
The situation is that these are invasive fire ants which murder the shit out of native ant species. They're our mistake, and therefore we consider it our responsibility to murder the shit out of them using poison, fire, decapitating parasitoids, and molten aluminum.

I hope when I'm on my death bed aliens just come and hot aluminum the whole fucking earth.
The human race will make a pretty sculpture. It'll be like Vesuvius, but bigger.

interesting. Is there any way to see where the queens chamber would be located?

Also, could the ants outside feel the pain of those dying with their hive mind? i wonder if they can feel each others physical pain.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
The situation is that these are invasive fire ants which murder the shit out of native ant species. They're our mistake, and therefore we consider it our responsibility to murder the shit out of them using poison, fire, decapitating parasitoids, and molten aluminum.

lets assume humans are hybrid clones of the greys and the greys are pissed cause we're fucking everything up. Look what we're doing to the planet.

Yes. From the perspective of alians equalizing all life as equal, it would make sense to kill off humanity. But we are just broken as human beings. Just by living in a city you have contributed to countless deaths of countless life forms as your C02 blueprint by just being alive and consuming has had a terrible effect on lots of species.

akira28

lets assume humans are hybrid clones of the greys and the greys are pissed cause we're fucking everything up. Look what we're doing to the planet.

What we're doing to the planet is nothing compared to what fire ants will do to your legs.

Ants are my favorite animal, and even I say 'they're ants; fuck em.' They've probably done some equally ill shit to other insect nests and competing ant colonies. At this point, it's like feeling sympathy for the Aliens blown up in Independence Day.

Termites are like 'how does it feel, motherfuckers?!'

Ants are like "a dark day for ant-kind... but shit, we can always build more killbots."

I'd stomp the fuck out of some ants if they were on my kitchen floor. I just wouldn't go out of my way to kill a bunch of them in their home.

karasu

That was gross. Not because of the death of the ants, but because of the aesthetics of their colony. I have the heebie geebies now.

I know mass extermination of insects happens all of the time simply for our convenience but while watching this video something didn't sit right with me about it. I realize it's not a big deal but it just felt a little off.

Toxi

Banned
I dunno. If we do a good enough job of fixing up our shit, maybe the aliens will have a human defense force on their message boards.

Also, could the ants outside feel the pain of those dying with their hive mind? i wonder if they can feel each others physical pain.
Ants don't have a "hive mind". They communicate and interact through chemical signals. They're really good at it, but their synchronized behavior is still just a game of telephone.

There are a lot of misconceptions about eusocial insects caused by media. Like a lot of people think the queen is some sort of ruler who controls them all when she really just forms the colony and then lays a shit-ton of eggs.

Tzeentch

A2kybi2.gif

LaNaranja

As neat as the end result looks I don't think I would be comfortable having it in my house knowing how it was created. It would give me the heebie jeebies.

Edit: good to see I am not alone in my feelings.

Ratrat

I'm ok with this. Kinda. I hate ants, as pests they've cost me a lot of grief over the years and pesticides and poisons were imployed more cruelly than this. Though if he did this like in the mountains that's a bit much.

sn00zer

I assume anyone on here saying how horrible this is has never had to deal with fire ant....also its probably a much better way to kill them than with the slow death of poison

The end result looks pretty cool. I would buy that although the shipping cost might kill me plus the insane import taxes around here.

Probably the same situation, where it matters to us, but not the ID4 aliens, blowing up statues and shit. "Do not jgrllen, for these humans cannot even florghenork like we can." As if the aliens have a level up from 'reason' that we can't even comprehend.

BigDug13

So if ants are blazing a trail through your kitchen, bathroom, etc, you just leave them alone? No killing whatsoever? No Raid? No shoe?

Game-Biz

"What if I poured aluminum in your house."

People are sympathetic towards ants now? Fire ants even?
Yeah, fuck those ant children and ant families cause they don't have feelings. "Oh a species of animals that doesn't benefit me? Fuck'em, burn them with aluminum. Oh when I walk over them and their homes they try to hurt me, so then we should just kill them. Because they aren't human, you see."

:p Fire ants really are the devil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom