• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Vita Renaissance: Is It Possible?

JordanN

Banned
I think Project Morpheus is going to replace Vita.

sWCXt3D.jpg

Sony is not going to support 3 Playstation platforms where one of them is a failure, so Vita was always destined to die.

But I don't see this as a bad thing. If Sony markets the headgear as being portable, it can do anything Vita can do. If it's also more popular, it would get more games too.

FluxWaveZ

The Vita has been dead for years, and yet games come out pretty much every week and it's still my most played system by far.

RIP.

Yeah, that's what's silly about these conversations.

Apparently, the Vita's been dead for a long while now, yet it's still getting games people want to play on it.

Flunkie

Banned
Vita will have a renaissance due to GAF realizing as a whole that Remote Play works so much better with "Use Wi-Fi in Power Save Mode" turned off.

It's dead. Let it go.

A shame because it could have been the best handheld ever released but thanks to a horribly supar western lineup, it's nowhere close. And it's 100% Sony's fault whatever anyone might contrary.

Harabec

Neo Member
I love my Vita for what it is but I hold no fantasies that the handheld is going to become any more popular than it is. I got my monies worth from the enjoyment I got from it and the indies I get every month from ps+ is just an extra bonus at this point to me.

The recent flash sale where they were selling Vita games for like a buck was like, damn I think it's time for me to finally get a Vita.

Circinus

It's dead. Let it go.

A shame because it could have been the best handheld ever released but thanks to a horribly supar western lineup, it's nowhere close. And it's 100% Sony's fault whatever anyone might contrary.

Yep, I'm going to let my PS Vita and Wii U go because it isn't super popular like the PS4! It's extremely important for my consoles to sell lots of millions of units, otherwise I can't enjoy playing games on them. It's very relevant for me as a consumer.

Mr-Joker

Banned
In another universe maybe but just not in this one, the Vita was doomed to die the moment Sony went with proprietary memory cards and they made zero attempt to fix it.

Sony focus has moved on to the PS4 and they don't really care to save the Vita sales.

It's dead. Let it go.

No handheld ever had a good western support, even the DS who sold each number didn't. So i don't know why anyone expected otherwise.

Sony did help giving the impression that the Vita would have it though.

Strike

Nah. Sony pretty much gave up after the first wave of titles. I still find it baffling that they never even bothered bringing over Loco Roco or Patapon sequels for it.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
It's great if you want a handheld port machine.

And that's all it will ever be at this point.

Circinus

In another universe maybe but just not in this one, the Vita was doomed to die the moment Sony went with proprietary memory cards and they made zero attempt to fix it.

Sony focus has moved on to the PS4 and they don't really care to save the Vita sales.

I think you're as delusional as the author of the OP if you really believe the mainstream market doesn't see appeal in the PS Vita because of.. the memory cards.

The memory cards - while SD cards would obviously have been more convenient - are completely insignificant. There just isn't a big market that wants a dedicated, seperate device anymore to play games, especially games that don't have mass-market appeal. The 3DS manages to survive because of those mass-market appeal games. Pokémon, Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing, Nintendogs. SCE simply doesn't have those kind of IP's.

Nintendo are pursuing other avenues because the dedicated handheld market is shrinking. Vita isn't somehow miraculously going to shrug that reality off where Nintendo cant.

And its not like Nintendo is abandoning the 3DS.

I think it's too early to say for sure that the dedicated handheld market is still shrinking. 3DS obviously lost a huge chunk of its market share to mobile, but we don't know if that was a one-off sort of thing. We just know that there were like 100 million people who'd rather just play free/$0.99 games on their phone. But everyone has a smartphone now, so maybe the dedicated handheld market will start to stabilize.

In other words, will the 3DS successor sell 50-60 million? I think it can.

18-Volt

Vita seems to be more alive than 3DS, so yes. First party stuff and Atlus games (plus MH) are only things keeping 3DS alive while Vita gets love from even more Japanese developers like Koei-Tecmo, NamcoBandai, Compile Heart, Nippon Ichi, Falcom, Kadokawa and Spike. Not to mention endless support of indies.

3DS is constantly reviving itself with hardware iterations and moneyhatted games like Monster Hunter. Sony could exact same stuff for Vita.

- Brand new Vita SKU; cheaper (between $130-170, they could get rid of cameras) and with SD card support.
- More hardware colors, or changable cover plates like New 3DS.
- Moneyhatted games, but games that actually matter. An exclusive GTA game or Elder Scrolls game made by a talented studio could be game changer for Vita. No stealth launches, Sony needs to hype the games like hell.
- They need to continue moneyhatting games instead supporting it with 1st party titles because Sony's franchises are not strong enough to sell systems. Vita needs its own Crisis Core or Peace Walker.

None of these will happen because Sony is poor and probably gonna focus on Morpehus. Pity, Vita was one of the best gaming devices ever made.

CHC

It's dead to me. I was a huge advocate of Vita from the start but it's really been disappointing the last few years. Sony doesn't even talk about it anymore, and the only releases are Japanese visual novels and grindy RPGs. There hasn't been a solid release that really plays to the Vita's strength since Tearaway, which is sad, but it is what it is. I bring it on vacations to play old games on, and I've definitely had my fun in terms of playing ports and old games, but at this point that's as far as it goes. There will never be a "big" Vita exclusive again.

JordanN

Banned
Yep, I'm going to let my PS Vita and Wii U go because it isn't super popular like the PS4! It's extremely important for my consoles to sell lots of millions of units, otherwise I can't enjoy playing games on them. It's very relevant for me as a consumer.

Look at what happened to SEGA when their consoles stopped selling after the Genesis.

If you care about games, of course sales matter.

CHC

You people are fucking rude, jeez.

Yeah seriously... The fact is Vita has not had any major, non-niche exclusives since Tearaway. Say all you want about games like Danganronpa or Freedom Wars, but the fact is that if those came out on home consoles, they wouldn't be any more popular - they're inherently niche games for people that already like those genres and seek them out.

Circinus

I think it's too early to say for sure that the dedicated handheld market is still shrinking. 3DS obviously lost a huge chunk of its market share to mobile, but we don't know if that was a one-off sort of thing. We just know that there were like 100 million people who'd rather just play free/$0.99 games on their phone. But everyone has a smartphone now, so maybe the dedicated handheld market will start to stabilize.

In other words, will the 3DS successor sell 50-60 million? I think it can.

50-60 million? I don't think so.

I think a 3DS successor is likely to flop, assuming it will be in the vein of a traditional handheld. Unless it has an extra-ordinary, unique selling point that manages to get a lot of mainstream attention and a more competitive business model for games (lower game prices, more flexible price points).

3DS still managed to get carried mainly because of games with a wide reach in terms of appeal (Mario, Zelda, Pokémon and co), but I don't think the impact will be as big for another generation. More and more people have been conditioned with cheap or F2P mobile games. I think €/$40 handheld games are going to be a very tough sell.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
vita needs more AAA games thats all i want!!!!

Wrong system if thats what you want.

---

Asides from that the Vita is pretty much set to see no real "Renaissance" soon as its too late in the hardwares life, but the upside is that more companies are interested in localizing titles from Japan on it at a faster pace which is pretty much what is keeping it alive and titles flowing. As the West outside of indie devs have pretty much dropped doing anything new with the system.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah seriously... The fact is Vita has not had any major, non-niche exclusives since Tearaway. Say all you want about games like Danganronpa or Freedom Wars, but the fact is that if those came out on home consoles, they wouldn't be any more popular - they're inherently niche games for people that already like those genres and seek them out.

That's right. I'm not sure who this point is aimed towards.

Because the Vita is just swimming with exclusives, right?

It has several, yes.

MisterHero

Vita seems to be more alive than 3DS, so yes. First party stuff and Atlus games (plus MH) are only things keeping 3DS alive while Vita gets love from even more Japanese developers like Koei-Tecmo, NamcoBandai, Compile Heart, Nippon Ichi, Falcom, Kadokawa and Spike. Not to mention endless support of indies.

3DS is constantly reviving itself with hardware iterations and moneyhatted games like Monster Hunter. Sony could exact same stuff for Vita.

- Brand new Vita SKU; cheaper (between $130-170, they could get rid of cameras) and with SD card support.
- More hardware colors, or changable cover plates like New 3DS.
- Moneyhatted games, but games that actually matter. An exclusive GTA game or Elder Scrolls game made by a talented studio could be game changer for Vita. No stealth launches, Sony needs to hype the games like hell.
- They need to continue moneyhatting games instead supporting it with 1st party titles because Sony's franchises are not strong enough to sell systems. Vita needs its own Crisis Core or Peace Walker.

None of these will happen because Sony is poor and probably gonna focus on Morpehus. Pity, Vita was one of the best gaming devices ever made.

Don't you see the problem with this? They could've had a $130-180 portable back then but didn't because the only thing people hype about is hardware potential. Now all it has is unrealized hardware potential and little mainstream support.

A couple of months ago on the ign podcast they were saying Vita had the most games coming out that month and the release schedule was full of new games. Did that change? Is VIta only dead in the U.S? I LOVE my Vita tv.

Sony tried this with the PSP during the holiday season of 2009. The PSP received a lot of new high profile games in a short time span. Sony launched a new piece of hardware, the PSP Go, with games like Soulcalibur: Broken Destiny, Gran Turismo, Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines, Little Big Planet, Jak & Daxter: The Lost Frontier, and MotorStorm: Arctic Edge. And some months later Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker was released. Sony even tried a whole new campaign for the system with a wisecrackin' black kid.

This resulted in the system...still trending downwards and pretty much dying some months later. It is a huge reason why Sony has done nothing to reignite the Vita, as it has been on life support for most of its life. They didn't want to waste their time and money like they did with the PSP.

CHC

That's right. I'm not sure who this point is aimed towards.

The question in the OP about whether the Vita will have a renaissance or not. I'm saying it won't but it will continue on releasing niche games. It's not winning over any new fans.

18-Volt

Don't you see the problem with this? They could've had a $130-180 portable back then but didn't because the only thing people hype about is hardware potential. Now all it has is unrealized hardware potential and little mainstream support.

Well, now they could do both; unrealized hardware potential + cheaper price. We're talking about a revival/renaissance and serious price cut is the most important thing to have a revival. It worked on 3DS, you know.

VLiberty

That's a weird statement to make.

Why remove a part of it's library? Why stop at indie games, why not remove game by big publisher too? That way you could safely say that the Vita only have niche Japanese games.

That's people's weird attitude towards Vita.

You know what? If you take out all the games that aren't weird japanese games for PS4, what you get is just weird japanese games.

I'm frankly sick of this tired argument. Take away Microsoft software support of the Xbox 360 and what do you get?... still an amazing system. 360 didn't survive because of Alan Wake and Crackdown. Vita doesn't need Sony's shrinking western studios to make the Vita great.

Another legit response to another weird thing people always bring up.

But think about another thing as well: Sony is now focusing on PS4 and they can't put out a decent first party support for the platform. Last year they released a handful of games for PS4 and it looks like this year won't be too much better... do people really think that if Sony still cared about the Vita we would've been now getting more than 2-3 big games per year?

I don't know about you guys, but when I have a 30+ upcoming games wishlist for the platform I'm not really put down by the lack of a couple more of games per year...sure, I wish Sony released some more games, but I don't think the lack of big Sony games is that big of a deal.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
I'm happy with the Vita in its current state since I rarely play big budget games anyway. I hope the profits are enough to maintain the "dead" Vita for a couple of years more because I'm having a blast with the games released on the system. Whatever a "renaissance" might be for a handheld in these days, I certainly don't yearn for one.

Circinus

Look at what happened to SEGA when their consoles stopped selling after the Genesis.

If you care about games, of course sales matter.

To a certain degree, absolutely. However, I have considered that, and PS Vita is past that 'certain degree' where sales are relevant for me. The status quo of the PS Vita installed base is past the point where its place in the market was yet to be determined. I know the current catalog of PS Vita games is worthwhile for me as it is. I know that there is still some interest in the PS Vita for indepedent developers to make games for it. I'm fine with that as it is. There isn't a substitute for the PS Vita that provides an as good portable gaming experience with an as diverse catalog of games. I'm a satisfied consumer essentially. No reason for me be desperate about the sales/popularity of a product I enjoy as it is.

If I would be an early adopter and I'm curious of how the product is going to find its foothold in the market, then I might casually keep an eye on the general market reception and sales.

However, with PS Vita, I'm past the point of looking out for that. I determined its value for me and its place in the market when I bought it already (about ~8 months ago). I'm not the biggest hardcore gamer that completes dozens of games each month, so the PS Vita catalog as it is, is going to last me a very long while. Not to mention the PSP/PS1 games where there are lots of classics that I haven't played yet. I know that the PS Vita has a userbase that is large enough for a good amount of independent developers to make games for it. I have no reason to spend my time being worried about sales when I could be playing PS Vita games instead.

Mr Swine

Banned
A couple of months ago on the ign podcast they were saying Vita had the most games coming out that month and the release schedule was full of new games. Did that change? Is VIta only dead in the U.S? I LOVE my Vita tv.

It's pretty much dead in hardware sales when the Wii U that is a year younger is soon outselling. And that is despite Wii U only having first party support versus Vita having 3:RD party support

Haano

I feel the same way. The Vita is a great console, with many indies but not many AAAs. 3DS is blowing it out the water in terms of titles and sales.

I'm hoping they have something planned for the Vita this E3, like more games, even perhaps a GTA? Rockstar have so far released a GTA on every platform (except 3DS and Vita), though this is yet a dream. I hope Sony stop trying to shift the vita as an add-on for the PS4 with its remote play and such and more as an actual portable machine.

Japan will be fine. Everywhere else is dead except for localizations, which will continue to have a decent niche market for a little while (mostly due to lack of competition--besides the 3DS, it's not like those games are available anywhere else).

In the long term, I expect even Japanese games will eventually go to mobile/PS4, followed by PC for export purposes primarily. Beyond DanganRonpa: AE and Persona 4: Dancing All Night, I don't see myself buying any more Vita carts (though I did spot Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters at my local Best Buy, which was baffling to say the least). I will always stump for Vita, though, because some of my favourite games from last gen are on it (DanganRonpa, Persona 4 port, Tearaway, Gravity Rush if I'm feeling generous).

Circinus

Because the Vita is just swimming with exclusives, right?

Between all new generation systems (3DS, PS Vita, Wii U, PS4, Xbox One) it had the highest amount of first-party launch games. Most of them were very well received too.

It had the highest amount of first-party games for a system 1 year after launch. It had subsequently the two highest rated original first-party (i.e. exclusive) games for a newer-gen system within two years after launch (Gravity Rush and Tearaway). (though PS4 and XB1 aren't past their 2nd year yet, so not a fair comparison yet. And I guess Bloodborne will take that cake now)

18-Volt

But think about another thing as well: Sony is now focusing on PS4 and they can't put out a decent first party support for the platform. Last year they released a handful of games for PS4 and it looks like this year won't be too much better... do people really think that if Sony still cared about the Vita we would've been now getting more than 2-3 big games per year?

What Sony needs to do is not support the system with its first party franchises. They're too weak to sell system. Most of Sony's legacy franchises are dead anyway, reviving a PSone era series didn't work either.

If Sony has enough funds to support it, they need to use it to moneyhat some games. That's exactly what they're doing right now. They brought Borderlands 2 and now they're bringing RE Revelaitons 2. Too bad both are wrong games. They need to bring stuff that matter. Games that sold PSP's. GTA, Final Fantasy or MGS. People have bought lots of PSP's after Sony revealed Crisis Core.

VARIA

To a certain degree, absolutely. However, I have considered that, and PS Vita is past that 'certain degree' where sales are relevant for me.

The main issue is that it's not a profitable system for developers. I mean sure VITA owners like their VITA (I do) but there's no denying that we're just getting pity crumbs from developers. Nothing will revive the VITA's sales. It's far too late with far too little support from SONY.

In other words "games that people care about" are the only thing keeping 3DS alive.

Half of those you listed have at least one 2015 3DS game. Spike in particular supports both systems pretty equally. Mystery Dungeon, Attack on Titan, and Fossil Fighters vs Danganronpa. Virtue's Last Reward and Conception were multiplat.

Really doubt Nintendo even needs to moneyhat Monster Hunter. It's more successful on 3DS than it ever has been anywhere else. I'm sure Capcom is more than happy to keep releasing the games on Nintendo handhelds.

Peace Walker and Crisis Core both sold far less than console counterparts. These are not big handheld games that cater to the distinct handheld audience. There's a reason why Type-0 is on PS4 and not Vita. And you're off your rocker if you think a handheld GTA or Elder Scrolls would "matter" more than Monster Hunter. They would matter about as much as Declassified or Liberation did.

Cerity

At this stage in the PSP's life you had MH selling millions. The only way you might see a comeback is if Sony manage to strike gold twice and are able to cultivate another game that'll sell similarly.

Top Bottom