• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Vita Renaissance: Is It Possible?

Circinus

The main issue is that it's not a profitable system for developers. I mean sure VITA owners like their VITA (I do) but there's no denying that we're just getting pity crumbs from developers. Nothing will revive the VITA's sales. It's far too late with far too little support from SONY.

I agree, but like I said I'm satisfied with the current pace of games being released for it. There's new games for it being released pretty much each week. I'm a person that consumes games slowly (don't complete many different games in short time frames) and I'm usually not very picky in terms of genres, so all in all I'm satisfied with the PS Vita's catalog of games and the pace of new games.

Hinchy

As someone working on a Vita game right now there's nothing that I'd love more than for it to turn around and be a complete success, but it's not gonna happen; it's too late for that now.
It's carved out a respectable niche for weird imports and indie games though and I love it to bits for that.

It'll never sell, unfortunately.

I really do like my Vita, it is a really nice system. But man, fuck those memory cards. And the account bs.

in my last game haul thanks to that discount code, one of the 4 "vita" games i got is this little gem called growlanser:wayfarer of time. im so hooked right now, i put on hold Bloodborne, MLB15, FC4 and Shadow of Mordor to tackle this game

im loving my vita and i hope they keep pumping more stealth releases

magnumpy

I would just go ahead and investigate the PSP/Vita back catalog of games. there's a good number of quality titles for you to discover, and at (for the most part) rock bottom prices.

flashmouth

Neo Member
I don't think there will change much in the future of the system from now on, it is what it is.
I just hope the support of ports from downloadable titles continues, some work better on Vita for me, having a lot of fun with it in the last monthes. Give me that and a handful of exclusives and I'm happy. Really looking forward to Shovel Knight and Broken Age.

A huge factor is PS+ and crossbuy, that's some sort of support people seem to ignore often. A lot of great content and great value overall, sometimes I can't keep up with the releases.

Sony created the dream handheld for the hardcore fans, which was a huge risk given the decline of the PSP (in the west). They pushed it hard in marketing, gathering positive reactions from fans and media. They then threw everything but the kitchen sink (read: Gran Turismo) and nothing would stick, nothing. Meanwhile, losing Monster Hunter did the damage in Japan. Faced with the prospect of spending more resources on a handheld showing no signs of attracting a wider audience, they needed a plan B.

They mobilized an indie movement in the west, bringing in content at a rapid pace. Meanwhile, they courted smaller publishers in Japan to provide what they can. This built the niece install base for the system which has since sparked further interest in the system, keeping it alive with a steady flow of indies, Japanese games, cross-buys and ports.

Saying Sony never tried is unfair. Anyone can argue they made mistakes, but if the key mistake was making the Vita as it is, then it's a mistake I'm glad they made. Oh, and yes, I hate the memory card pricing but that's NOT why it failed, let's be realistic here.

sjay1994

Its probably dead.

Looking at the horizon, the only things coming are some niche japanese games from smaller publishers, indies or other games that are also available on the PS3/4, and Dancing all night.

Its a shame, I love my vita. I just want some meaningful exclusives on it.

autoduelist

I think that ship has sailed. The fact Sony are discontinuing Near says it all.

What? How does turning off some map based functionality based on non-sony tech in an app that maybe 1% of vita users even know exists, and 0% of users ever understood the reason for, indicate it's death. That's ridiculous. The 'loss' of Near is absolutely insignificant.

I used to think this gif was annoying, then I realized it perfectly encapsulates the only type of game still coming out on Vita.

No, Cyan. It's still annoying. Even if it does "encapsulate" the fanbase that is left for the system.

Just so you know, this is incredibly insulting. Like, seriously, immature and insulting. The first quote is just standard nonsense someone posts in every Vita thread, but the second one (which could only exist with the first) is ridiculous. Let's cherry pick some of the images that repeat in, say, the Steam thread and paint everyone with the same brush too, eh?

Yeah, that's what's silly about these conversations.

Apparently, the Vita's been dead for a long while now, yet it's still getting games people want to play on it.

Iirc I've got a 350 game library for my vita iirc. Over 100 of those are native. And if i include games I remote play it's even larger.

Meanwhile more games release every week.

th4tguy

I've got 150$ in GS credit and I'm toying with the idea of getting a vita. The price on memory cards is very offsetting though. Luckily I already own a bunch of psp and vita games so I wouldn't have to buy any games, just a big memory card to hold them.

Should I?

Circinus

Sony created the dream handheld for the hardcore fans, which was a huge risk given the decline of the PSP (in the west). They pushed it hard in marketing, gathering positive reactions from fans and media. They then threw everything but the kitchen sink (read: Gran Turismo) and nothing would stick, nothing. Meanwhile, losing Monster Hunter did the damage in Japan. Faced with the prospect of spending more resources on a handheld showing no signs of attracting a wider audience, they needed a plan B.

They mobilized an indie movement in the west, bringing in content at a rapid pace. Meanwhile, they courted smaller publishers in Japan to provide what they can. This built the niece install base for the system which has since sparked further interest in the system, keeping it alive with a steady flow of indies, Japanese games, cross-buys and ports.

Saying Sony never tried is unfair. Anyone can argue they made mistakes, but if the key mistake was making the Vita as it is, then it's a mistake I'm glad they made. Oh, and yes, I hate the memory card pricing but that's NOT why it failed, let's be realistic here.

Well said.

The PS Vita is almost like fan-service to me. Because I'm grateful for the fact that a device with such limited mainstream appeal got made.

Tohsaka

The main issue is that it's not a profitable system for developers. I mean sure VITA owners like their VITA (I do) but there's no denying that we're just getting pity crumbs from developers. Nothing will revive the VITA's sales. It's far too late with far too little support from SONY.

It is profitable for some developers, otherwise they wouldn't keep releasing games on it. It's not uncommon in Japan for Vita versions of multiplatform games to outsell the other ones, for example.

autoduelist

I've got 150$ in GS credit and I'm toying with the idea of getting a vita. The price on memory cards is very offsetting though. Luckily I already own a bunch of psp and vita games so I wouldn't have to buy any games, just a big memory card to hold them.

Should I?

I have owned many handhelds, and never liked one of them. Sold my various Nintendo ones, my PSP gathers dust. Vita won my heart... it's an amazing device. PS1, PSP library just makes it all the better... but you'll soon find that there are far more vita games you might be interested in than you first thought. Add in remote play, and yes, i highly recommend it.

Especially if you're a dad. It's perfect if you only have bite size amounts of time to play, and don't always have access to the tv (or can't play a violent game on the tv, etc).

Bingo. The west didn't buy into the launch and early titles like Uncharted or Wipeout or new IPs like Gravity Rush. They didn't buy Tearaway or Killzone Mercs. We did buy the living daylights out of indies and localizations. So... what did we expect? The reason we still have so many games coming out is because of the efforts of Sony in trying new things.

th4tguy

I have owned many handhelds, and never liked one of them. Sold my various Nintendo ones, my PSP gathers dust. Vita won my heart... it's an amazing device. PS1, PSP library just makes it all the better... but you'll soon find that there are far more vita games you might be interested in than you first thought. Add in remote play, and yes, i highly recommend it.

Especially if you're a dad. It's perfect if you only have bite size amounts of time to play, and don't always have access to the tv (or can't play a violent game on the tv, etc).
I've got a 16 month old and we don't use the tv when he is around. Try to limit screen time around him so this speaks a lot to me.

Circinus

I hope SCE will collaborate with Sony Mobile for a PS Vita (spiritual) successor.

Then they could make an Xperia+PlayStation branded smartphone that is also tailored and optimized to play games on it. Runs Android and ideally it would be able to emulate PS Vita, PSP, PS1 games.

It would be great to have Nintendo games officially available on such a device as well then, because they're going to make Android games. So SCE wouldn't even need to make games for it themselves, because their competitor (Nintendo) will already take care of that.

Nintendo games, PSP games, PS Vita games, PS1 games, Android games through Google Play Store. And SCE games as well. All on one device, it could be neat.

MattVT

I really love my Vita and play it on a weekly basis, but it just doesn't seem like Sony wants to put the resources into creating a renaissance, at least not the type I would want. I wish they would have been able to follow up their launch window with new games in the God of War and/or Infamous series. I also would have liked Konami to create new Metal Gear spinoffs like PSP had. That said, the Vita allowed me to discover Persona and play gems like Gravity Rush that I might have ignored if they had just maintained the status quo.

Bashtee

It is dying. They should bring out a Revision with L2 R2 and L3 R3. Maybe a bit more plastic for grip. 128gb card OR bigger. My Dream handheld. Maybe powerful enough for PS2 emulation and a shit load of games in the store. This is probably more realistic than a revitalization and I love the Vita.

PSP>Vita IMO. It had a better game library and all ps1 games off psn worked flawless unlike the vita which can't support a lot of ps1 classic including mgs!
As for TC let the dead rest bro. Vita is done and with its failure Sony will now exit the handheld market. Twice now they suffered defeat at the hands of Nintendo in the handheld console market. Only second time it was not just a victory for Nintendo but utter domination.

Baleoce

I hope SCE will collaborate with Sony Mobile for a PS Vita (spiritual) successor.

Then they could make an Xperia+PlayStation branded smartphone that is also tailored and optimized to play games on it. Runs Android and ideally it would be able to emulate PS Vita, PSP, PS1 games.

It would be great to have Nintendo games officially available on such a device as well then, because they're going to make Android games. So SCE wouldn't even need to make games for it themselves, because their competitor (Nintendo) will already take care of that.
I'm also hoping for some kind of xperia hybrid device. But at the same time I'm not holding my breath.

Valentus

I remember that PSP's Renaissance came out with psp2000 and Crisis Core.

We have vita2000 and there is no sight of a game like Crisis Core to come out.

Like some gaffers said, the vita is now a niche, indie games console, and it's just as good as it is now.

The question is, we will se a third sony portable console? i dont think so.

JCX

No, Vita is dead, at least to me. If Cyber Sleuth is not localized, then there I won't have a single exclusive Vita game to look forward to (unless something big is at E3)

MightyKAC

It's really hard to read Vita threads like this since so many of them are full of FUD and just straight up bullshit opinions from folks who wish the Vita was in bigger trouble than it actually is.

Ray Marden

Neo Member
I have a Vita for a second screen experience, though it's annoying that the video apps are all blocked (barring the temporary glitch in the current update.)

As a gaming device, it's what I wanted - basically, a PS3 in handheld form, but that doesn't appear to be what the bigger market wants. Instead, they play freemium trash on their cell phones or they get sold on the gimmick/unique aspects of a two-screen or 3D handhelds.

For core Vita games, I hardly buy any - I really don't like the super small thumbsticks, I'm not going to pay $40+ for a game unless it is a AAA release, and I am sick - sick - of managing small, overpriced memory cards. I get a wide range of interesting games via PS+ for nearly free so I don't see myself interested in (m)any of the new, paid releases.

In a lot of ways, I think that is indicative of its main issues. Sony made a few blatant mistakes and then it's a great system for the non-mobile gaming market...

I actually just recently bought one and while there is a lot to like about it, I bought it knowing the position it is in and that it is more of a companion system to the PS4 (at least for me). I had been hoarding free PS+ games for the last year or so and one of the first thing I noticed is that big AAA-esque console style games just do not suit the controls on this thing well at all. Borderlands, Uncharted and even consensus favorite Gravity Rush were a chore to play for me with the little analog nubs. Even Hotline Miami is tough to play because of this. Sony launching this thing on the strength of it being a "console in your pocket" and pushing it with console style games seems to have been their biggest mistake. I don't think there is enough of a market that wants that.

That said, I still think I will enjoy the purchase. Rogue Legacy and Spelunky will get a ton of play and I think for more passive games (RPGs, adventure titles) and 2D platformers, along with classic PSone gamesI will get my money's worth. There's also a lot I'm looking forward to on it, like Severed, Broken Age, Shovel Knight and Axiom Verge.

Maximo

Its like the ultimate Fan Service System. Even after getting a N3DS and not having a Nintendo System since the Gameboy Advance/N64, I was so hyped to finally play some Nintendo games again. But man I don't know if its the systems lack of Games or what but I gravitate more towards the Vita and keep coming back to it. Games like Binding Of Issacc Rebirth, Rogue Legacy,Ect, these games are just too hard to pass up on a handheld device not to mention of course the Native Games/PS1/Remaster.
Really am hoping Nintendo Allows the same Indie support as Sony next gen its great to have these AAA Quality Nintendo games but really annoying when there is only a couple of them a year to enjoy without any Indies(Or Lack of) to fill the gap.

SigSig

The Vita has been dead for years, and yet games come out pretty much every week and it's still my most played system by far.

RIP.

Yes it had more exclusives then the PS4 and the Xbox One last year. But I guess they don't count since they're not mainstream enough.

Yup. Vita is fine, the lengths people will go to declare it dead are almost PC GAMING IS DEAD-tier.
Okay that was a huge stretch, but still. I like my Vita, I like playing games on my Vita, there are games coming up I'm looking forward to and a ton of games I still need to get for it (and none of them aere Underaged Panty Quest: Portable). My Vita is pretty much alive :D
I really hope Homebrew gets going, tho, it would be the ultimate portable Emulator. The inputs are just so good.

Agent X

It'll keep trucking along in Japan for a good while, but everywhere else, it's pretty much certifiably dead.

That's a pretty accurate assessment of things. I wish we could see some kind of mainstream "comeback" in the US and elsewhere, but it's highly unlikely.

Here are a couple of other good comments that I agree with:

I don't think it's a matter of asking if it's possible because it is possible but rather on the likelihood of it happening. In terms of the latter, it is very unlikely that we will see a revitalized interest in the PlayStation Vita, be it from developers to produce exclusive titles or consumers picking up the system and its admittedly niche library. That isn't to say we won't see worthwhile exclusives come out for the system (Severed is looking very promising) or that said upcoming exclusives won't meet sales expectations, but it is a shame it's not seeing the same level of success as its predecessor because it's provided some of the most enjoyable experiences i've played this generation, from Tearaway to TxK, to say nothing of the convenience of having Playstation 1, PSP and Vita titles on the go at once.

I'm happy with the Vita in its current state since I rarely play big budget games anyway. I hope the profits are enough to maintain the "dead" Vita for a couple of years more because I'm having a blast with the games released on the system. Whatever a "renaissance" might be for a handheld in these days, I certainly don't yearn for one.

I agree with both of these quotes.

I don't mind if the Vita continues a "niche" machine. I truly enjoy the system--it's a fabulous piece of hardware (even three years later), and its software library is great and continues to get worthwhile games added to it almost every week. That's not even accounting for the back catalog of PS1 and PSP games, which make it even better.

Personally, I'd like to see a successor portable system at some point, with improvements over Vita similar to the leap that Vita offered over PSP (which itself was also an awesome handheld). Something like this might conceivably happen in Japan and any other regions where it's relatively successful. If they do follow up on the Vita with new hardware, then it's unlikely to be pushed hard (or even at all) in American retail, but I would hope that they could at least offer it here through online channels as an "enthusiast" system. I know that I would be interested.

No, it'll keep getting mostly D tier pandering japanese games and indie games you already bought for $1 on steam.

Mine is just a glorified PSP machine honestly, now that was a library.

In my humble opinion, it's one of the few systems that fullfilled its potential among all newer-generation computer entertainment systems so far.

It didn't have much potential then.

Circinus

No, it'll keep getting mostly D tier pandering japanese games and indie games you already bought for $1 on steam.

Well, we won't reach a consensus here then. Different strokes, different folks.

AniHawk

in 2015, retailers are going to start burning through stock, and finally remove the device from shelves. a local target went from having two rows of vita games to three vita games interspersed with some ps3 games. the local best buy has had ps tvs and probably the most prominent vita section i've seen in years, which is two rows of games, mostly western titles and multiplatform games. a lot of them are fairly old since western studios hardly bother with the machine anymore outside of lego and i guess sony's baseball studio.

2015 is going to be a last hurrah of sorts for the platform, so enjoy it while you can. it's the last year 'big' exclusives will hit, like danganronpa another episode, persona 4 dancing all night, toukiden kiwami, and oreshika. if there's support for the machine in 2016 and later, it'll come largely from multiplatform games like zero escape 3 and ys. you might even see something like tokyo xanadu in the future, but that would be like seeing trails in the sky 2 or the wii rodea the sky soldier in 2015 - more of a technicality than a sign of life.

Circinus

in 2015, retailers are going to start burning through stock, and finally remove the device from shelves. a local target went from having two rows of vita games to three vita games interspersed with some ps3 games. the local best buy has had ps tvs and probably the most prominent vita section i've seen in years, which is two rows of games, mostly western titles and multiplatform games. a lot of them are fairly old since western studios hardly bother with the machine anymore outside of lego and i guess sony's baseball studio.

2015 is going to be a last hurrah of sorts for the platform, so enjoy it while you can. it's the last year 'big' exclusives will hit, like danganronpa another episode, persona 4 dancing all night, toukiden kiwami, and oreshika. if there's support for the machine in 2016 and later, it'll come largely from multiplatform games like zero escape 3 and ys. you might even see something like tokyo xanadu in the future, but that would be like seeing trails in the sky 2 or the wii rodea the sky soldier in 2015 - more of a technicality than a sign of life.

Yep, it's ironic that the best PlayStation system of all time is also the worse selling one.

At least compared to the PS4, PS Vita has:

– Backwards compatibility with digital PSP/PS1 games, your digital licenses can carry over; no need to buy "remasters".

– PS1 Classics compatibility

– A sleek, snappy and customizeable interface

– Great first-party games with great, innovative gameplay (Gravity Rush, Tearaway. @Eurogamer, you know "next-gen gameplay” :p)

– Plays music, video and photo media files, unlike PS4

– Portability

– Friends notifications

– Free online multiplayer

– A messaging system that works

– DLNA support (Network Media Player app)

And it had the best launch line-up among all new-generation systems of course.

Yep, it's ironic that the best PlayStation system of all time is also the worse selling one.

I'm sorry but are you even implying the Vita is even close to the same league as the PS2?

Like the Vita or not, that's the most delusional thing I've ever heard when it comes to a console.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
It's the best handheld we ever had, and it's dead.

VLiberty

False.

There are tons of downloadable Vita games that released much earlier on Vita than PC or that never appeared on PC.

Completely missed this. I agree 100%

Circinus

I'm sorry but are you even implying the Vita is even close to the same league as the PS2?

Like the Vita or not, that's the most delusional thing I've ever heard when it comes to a console.

Fair point indeed. Sorry. Definitely one of the best PlayStation systems then. And one of the best handheld systems of all time imo.

rpmurphy

Sony needs to sell 1.25M units of PSP/Vita/PSTV in Q4 to just keep the hardware unit sales even YoY. In Q4 of the last fiscal year, they sold 0.7M units and Sony's own forecast is 0.65M. In Japan, it's in decline YoY.

It's walking towards the tail end of its normal life cycle at the pace one would be expecting. If there is a plan to turn its sales around to a new peak, it needs a mainstream system-selling game and a new hardware revision. Where those are going to come from, who knows.

hymanator

All that says is that they finally realized Near is shit.

I did have one good experience with Near. I actually bumped into an old high school friend that I lost contact with for almost 20 years. He saw my screen name on the Near list, assumed it was me and sent me a message. That will probably be my only fond memory of the service. I was hoping for something more like what the 3DS did with Street Pass I guess.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
No. IMO next time Sony should focus on a single thing. It seems like consoles are what they are good at, and Vita took away focus from that. Now they have to port all their franchises back to PS4 like Gravity Daze

Gigglepoo

Not until people realize that indie games are every bit as good (and often better) than AAA. Vita has good games coming out every week, but because marketers aren't hyping them up, people think the library stinks.

Bought a PSTV just for this - a way to play FFT and Tactics Ogre on my TV and with a controller.

I own one Vita game, and that was the free one EA gave out last year.

Not regretting it one bit, but doesn't seem like it's a healthy ecosystem.

Not until people realize that indie games are every bit as good (and often better) than AAA. Vita has good games coming out every week, but because marketers aren't hyping them up, people think the library stinks.

Well, and those indie games are available on PC (for cheaper) or on PC + other platforms. I'd rather play Spelunky or Don't Starve on PC, and I got them cheaper.

zeopower6

I think it's possible but there's only a small chance of it happening and it has to get a lot of high profile games to do so.

Top Bottom