• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Vita Renaissance: Is It Possible?

Circinus

No. IMO next time Sony should focus on a single thing. It seems like consoles are what they are good at, and Vita took away focus from that. Now they have to port all their franchises back to PS4 like Gravity Daze

I disagree. They've done a better job with the PS Vita than the PS4.

Except in terms of making it appear appealing for the mass-market.

No. IMO next time Sony should focus on a single thing. It seems like consoles are what they are good at, and Vita took away focus from that. Now they have to port all their franchises back to PS4 like Gravity Daze

Why?

If their bad at it then the games they put out most be bad as well because we buy system for games right?

Bought a PSTV just for this - a way to play FFT and Tactics Ogre on my TV and with a controller.

I own one Vita game, and that was the free one EA gave out last year.

Not regretting it one bit, but doesn't seem like it's a healthy ecosystem.

Well, and those indie games are available on PC (for cheaper) or on PC + other platforms.

And yet it's the system that gets the most games after the PC, weird for an unhealthy ecosystem.

Puru

To be honest for a dead system i bought for a few games it's far exceeding my expectations. And it keeps getting games.
I think it's one of the most underrated device i own but it's over, it's so dead the chance to get another Sony handheld is null and void (unless they are crazy) which is a shame. And let's be honest if one gets released the PSP and Vita had such a bad reputation in general that it would be dead on arrival in the west.

Circinus

To be honest for a dead system i bought for a few games it's far exceeding my expectations. And it keeps getting games.
I think it's one of the most underrated device i own but it's over, it's so dead the chance to get another Sony handheld is null and void (unless they are crazy) which is a shame. And let's be honest if one gets released the PSP and Vita had such a bad reputation in general that it would be dead on arrival in the west.

The PSP and PS Vita have a bad reputation? That's new to me.

Maybe the reputation gets distorted by closed-minded fanboys you meet on the internet that talk about subjects hey have no experience with.

The actual user satisfaction seems very high though.

And yet it's the system that gets the most games after PC, weird for an unhealthy ecosystem.

No reason to feel sad. It's awesome you love the platform, but for most indie titles, the platform of choice seems to be PC. Didn't Don't Starve's expansion take forever to come on Vita?

It's an unhealthy platform when I can't find one game I'm interested in buying for it because I have games for everything. My Saturn has more titles I own than I'm interested in for the Vita. The only exception I can think of is Persona 4, because I do want it, but I won't pick it up without Japanese audio. Even my PS4 has more games I'm interested in, even if three of the four games I have for it are import and cross-gen.

It's a great little indie machine, but PC's a better place to do indie. And it's a great platform for RPGs, but most of those are from other platforms, and a lot of them can be played now on either the PSP or PS3.

RedSwirl

Beyond the ultra niche, no. It'll survive off the fumes of indie ports and really niche Japanese games, but that's it.

Losing Monster Hunter really fucked it up. So did mobile taking over in Japan. Hardware-wise it's an excellent PSP successor, but the market that made the PSP what it was just wasn't there anymore for the Vita, or it was just much weaker. Technically the same has happened to the 3DS compared to the DS, but the 3DS has been able to survive off of Nintendo's usually strong first party support (and some great support from Atlus as well). Once again maybe if Sony (like Sony Japan Studios) actually put as much first party muscle into handheld games as it does into console games the Vita might be more attractive. A Vita God of War game, a Vita Gran Turismo, who knows.

Personally I'm starting to think the last hope for hardcore handheld gaming in the future might be if somebody figures out how to build a straight-up Windows/SteamOS handheld for playing indie and low-range PC games. That and another Nintendo handheld that shares the same library and OS with a Nintendo console so it can run the whole Virtual Console library.

JordanN

Banned
Sony launching this thing on the strength of it being a "console in your pocket" and pushing it with console style games seems to have been their biggest mistake. I don't think there is enough of a market that wants that.

Vita gets flak for this but for me, I always wanted a handheld that does exactly that.

I have the 3DS and the Vita. I go to college in another city so I spend 2 hours traveling.

When I play my 3DS, I find myself getting bored after the first 10 minutes. The games are still fun but it's obvious they're designed for short bursts.

But when I play my Vita, I feel like I want to play longer, because the games are offering more depth.

sublimit

Banned
I am afraid it's too late now. Sony has given up on it and there's no way they would be willing to invest on a high profile game at this point (like MH5 for example) and they are definitely not going to lower the prices of the memory cards since from what i see in various gaming forums people have no problems to pay a small fortune to buy 32 or 64GB memory cards.

It saddens me to say this (i'm a Vita owner) but the system will slowly disappear in 2 years from now and people will move on to whatever low-spec and cheap portable system Nintendo comes up next (which will have MH5 on it.)

Circinus

No reason to feel sad. It's awesome you love the platform, but for most indie titles, the platform of choice seems to be PC. Didn't Don't Starve's expansion take forever to come on Vita?

It's an unhealthy platform when I can't find one game I'm interested in buying for it because I have games for everything. My Saturn has more titles I own than the Vita. The only exception I can think of is Persona 4, because I do want it, but I won't pick it up without Japanese audio. Even my PS4 has more games I'm interested in, even if three of the four games I have for it import and cross-gen.

It's a great little indie machine, but PC's a better place to do indie. And it's a great platform for RPGs, but most of those are from other platforms, and a lot of them can be played now on either the PSP or PS3.

PC is definitely best place to play indie games.

But if you want to play indie games in a portable format (that's the point of handheld :) ), PC isn't really a substitute for PS Vita. Maybe if more compact, yet powerful x64-86 tablets with Windows 10 will start appearing on the market.

And again, PS3 isn't a substitute for a portable system either..

It's an unhealthy platform when I can't find one game I'm interested in buying for it because I have games for everything. My Saturn has more titles I own than I'm interested in for the Vita. The only exception I can think of is Persona 4, because I do want it, but I won't pick it up without Japanese audio. Even my PS4 has more games I'm interested in, even if three of the four games I have for it import and cross-gen.

Your taste don't dictate whether or not the Vita is an unhealthy platform. There's only 1 game I'm interested in on the XONE, does that mean it's not healthy?

The Vita also have plenty of exclusive games, you may not like them but they exist so the "It only has indie games I can play on PC and multiplatform game" is getting old now.

And there's nothing to be sad about, The Vita is my favorite gaming machine after the PS2, in the contrary I'm happy to experience it right now.

PC is definitely best place to play indie games.

But if you want to play indie games in a portable format (that's the point of handheld :) ), PC isn't really a substitute for PS Vita. Maybe if more compact x64-86 tablets will start appearing on the market.

I suppose, but the dedicated gaming handheld doesn't seem like a growth industry. Plus, there's no barrier for most of the indie games; they'll run on anything (a lot of them have Mac ports!).

Your taste don't dictate whether or not the Vita is an unhealthy platform. There's only 1 game I'm interested in on the XONE, does that mean it's not healthy?

And there's nothing to be sad about, The Vita is my favorite gaming machine after the PS2, in the contrary I'm happy to experience it right now.

I realize you're upset that people are justifiably calling out the dearth of software for the Vita, but no reason to be uncivil. If you're happy with it, that's great, but it's not some kind of smashing success of a platform.

I import titles from Japan because they don't come out here or they localize out Japanese stuff. If the Vita's Japanese and indie focused library doesn't appeal to me, that seems like a warning.

Also, yeah, I'm afraid for the Xbox One library at this point - but then, I've never been impressed with Microsoft's exclusives library. Until the last six months, both next-gen platforms' libraries were pretty sad.

Snakeyes

I think Project Morpheus is going to replace Vita.

sWCXt3D.jpg

But I don't see this as a bad thing. If Sony markets the headgear as being portable, it can do anything Vita can do.

I know a lot of people on this board is super enthusiastic about VR and all, but this is on a whole other level of optimism.

Sony have all but washed their hands of the Vita, so a renaissance will never happen.

They haven't even supporting the thing with proper first party games in over a year...for fuck sake, how hard can it be?

Gigglepoo

I suppose, but the dedicated gaming handheld doesn't seem like a growth industry. Plus, there's no barrier for most of the indie games; they'll run on anything (a lot of them have Mac ports!).

Most only run on one portable platform, though. Not being tethered to a television or monitor can be a huge advantage.

I realize you're upset that people are justifiably calling out the dearth of software for the Vita, but no reason to be uncivil. If you're happy with it, that's great, but it's not some kind of smashing success of a platform..

There's not a dearth of software, though...

Circinus

I realize you're upset that people are justifiably calling out the dearth of software for the Vita, but no reason to be uncivil. If you're happy with it, that's great, but it's not some kind of smashing success of a platform.

I import titles from Japan because they don't come out here or they localize out Japanese stuff. If the Vita's Japanese and indie focused library doesn't appeal to me, that seems like a warning.

Of course it isn't a growth industry, it's a shrink industry.

But for the consumer experience, that isn't all that relevant. For someone who desires a good system for portable indepedent games to play them on the bus or train, it's still a worthwhile handheld.

JordanN

Banned
I know a lot of people on this board is super enthusiastic about VR and all, but this is on a whole other level of optimism.

I wont turn this into a VR thread so I'll keep it short. But all signs point to VR being something that you can carry with you. Especially when the device likely to popularize it, would be mobile phones.

Snakeyes said:
What do you play on both systems?

On 3DS, it's mostly Dead or Alive, Mighty Switch Force and Mario Tennis.

On Vita, I play Sly Cooper, Ninja Gaiden, and Dragon's Crown.

Snakeyes

Vita gets flak for this but for me, I always wanted a handheld that does exactly that.

I have the 3DS and the Vita. I go to college in another city so I spend 2 hours traveling.

When I play my 3DS, I find myself getting bored after the first 10 minutes. The games are still fun but it's obvious they're designed for short bursts.

But when I play my Vita, I feel like I want to play longer, because the games are offering more depth.

What do you play on both systems? I own the two as well and feel there's an abundance of games designed for long and short playing sessions on both.

Don't worry about me I'm not upset at all, I just found it funny that you think because you don't find games on Vita that interest you (which is surprising to say the least) then the system is on the verge of discontinuation and will no longer have any game released on it.

It certainly is possible, but Sony have to take a step back from their egos and understand that hardware alone will not sell a console, especially a handheld one. They need to do research on what makes a handheld game attractive. They need to utilize their hardware in a way that makes sense, so that it doesn't feel tacked on like it did with Uncharted.

It would take a strong commitment from Sony and their partners, but it's pretty clear that they really don't have that kind of interest. It's a shame, really, because it was such a great system with a lot of potential.

Circinus

They haven't even supporting the thing with proper first party games in over a year...for fuck sake, how hard can it be?

Helldivers a couple of weeks ago. Freedom Wars, Soul Sacrifice Delta, Murasaki Baby, Hohokum, CounterSpy during the latter half of last year. Resogun PS Vita version as well. The Unfinished Swan PS Vita version as well.

All in all, I'm personally satisfied with the current catalog of games, including the first-party games. They seem to have done a better job on that front with the PS Vita than the PS4 so far.

Silvawuff

I like my Vita and consider it an overall solid system. I do think it would gain more traction if Sony took some steps to improve the cost of memory. I think those that are interested enough to get one know what they're getting into, and the payoff is relatively high.

So, no, I don't think it will enjoy a renaissance, but I think that those who bought in on it have a quality handheld with a solid library for years to come.

There's not a dearth of software, though...

Dearth of exclusive software, then? If you don't have a PC and PS3, sure, it's probably fantastic. I'm the first to admit that if you're leveraging all the libraries the Vita has access to - PS1 classics, PSP, indie and PS2 ports, and to the extent it exists, of exclusive Vita titles - it's a fantastic library. It's just that most of it can be played elsewhere. I *have* a PSTV - it's just used to play PSP games in a way I want.

If you consider it advantage to be portable, that's also great, but it looks like consumers have spoken, and no one cares about portability - likely because smartphones are so widespread. I don't carry around a second devices, despite owning a couple of 3DS and PSP.

Don't worry about me I'm not upset at all, I just found it funny that you think because you don't find games on Vita that interest you (which is surprising to say the least) then the system is on the verge of discontinuation and will no longer have any game released on it.

Your posts come off very emotional. And I don't remember it's saying the Vita is "on the verge of discontinuation and will no longer have any games on it." Can you point me to where I typed that? I just said it's not a healthy ecosystem, which it isn't - and Sony is doing very little to support it.

I love underdog consoles. My Wii U is hooked up to my main entertainment center (along with my PSTV, PS4, and PS3), and I have a Saturn and Dreamcast hooked up to a Sony PVM. But to not recognize that the Vita is an underdog platform seems willfully blind to me.

Poor Vita, I swear its the best portable hardware I have seen and yet we dont have many games. Al I wanted was a Gran Turismo, Soul Calibur and Ace Combat (and a good Diablo like game).

The game had a few good games but too few :(

VLiberty

Personally I'm starting to think the last hope for hardcore handheld gaming in the future might be if somebody figures out how to build a straight-up Windows/SteamOS handheld for playing indie and low-range PC games.

Somehow it's already there, though you need an external joypad and that kinda kills the portability. We need an x86 tablet with incorporated buttons.

Yup! It's incredible having a diverse library with me wherever I go. I don't think people even realize how many games come out for it every week.

At hte beginning of the month we got, in the same week, Oreshika, Lamulana, Helldivers, Olliolli 2 and a couple more games.
Crazy.

And it's not even uncommon.

Helldivers a couple of weeks ago. Freedom Wars, Soul Sacrifice Delta, Murasaki Baby, Hohokum, CounterSpy during the latter half of last year.

All in all, I'm personally satisfied with the current catalog of games, including the first-party games. They seem to have done a better job on that front with the PS Vita than the PS4 so far.

There's also Oreshika: Tainted Bloodline that released this month.

Your posts come off very emotional. And I don't remember it's saying the Vita is "on the verge of discontinuation and will no longer have any games on it." Can you point me to where I typed that? I just said it's not a healthy ecosystem, which it isn't - and Sony is doing very little to support it.

I was just caricaturing your alarming viewpoint towards the system.

Your talking about it being an "healthy ecosystem" about it having "a dearth of software" when it's not the case. Exclusive games keep being released, it has hundreds of upcoming games (there's a thread about it if you're interested) so it's not the case at all.

RM8

I don't think anyone could argue that it doesn't get any games at all or that no one can't love it. But it's a stretch to call it a healthy platform, IMO. Particularly in the West, I honestly can't remember a Vita game ranking on NPD.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
For it to be possible Sony would have to give a shit about the console. They stopped caring about 3 months after it launched.

Gigglepoo

Dearth of exclusive software, then? If you don't have a PC and PS3, sure, it's probably fantastic. I'm the first to admit that if you're leveraging all the libraries the Vita has access to - PS1 classics, PSP, indie and PS2 ports, and to the extent it exists, of exclusive Vita titles - it's a fantastic library. It's just that most of it can be played elsewhere.

If you consider it advantage to be portable, that's also great, but it looks like consumers have spoken, and no one cares about portability - likely because smartphones are so widespread. I don't carry around a second devices, despite owning a couple of 3DS and PSP.

Again, the general public is told what to like by marketers. Indie developers don't have the money to brainwash people. The Vita will never break into the crowd that likes their tastes determined for them, but I wouldn't say consumers have spoken. They're just not aware of things that aren't force-fed to them.

autoduelist

You're dramatically underestimating the appeal of handhelds, and this is coming from someone who hated every handheld they bought until the Vita.

You are correct... I buy all my indie games on PC/ Steam. And then I never play them until I double dip the Vita version. Binding of Isaac, Hotline Miami, Don't Starve, etc, etc, all on my Vita.

I've got hundreds upon hundreds of games on both my Steam account and my Vita. But Vita gets 99% of my time.

Well, and those indie games are available on PC (for cheaper) or on PC + other platforms. I'd rather play Spelunky or Don't Starve on PC, and I got them cheaper.

The joys of holding them in my hand outweigh having them on my PC.

sublimit

Banned
I like my Vita and consider it an overall solid system. I do think it would gain more traction if Sony took some steps to improve the cost of memory. I think those that are interested enough to get one know what they're getting into, and the payoff is relatively high.

So, no, I don't think it will enjoy a renaissance, but I think that those who bought in on it have a quality handheld with a solid library for years to come.

This is true. Even if Sony has abandoned the system i'll still have games to play on it for a very long time. :)

But it could have been so much better if Sony was truly committed on it.As the OP said it has the most wasted potential on a system ever.

Gigglepoo

But it could have been so much better if Sony was truly committed on it.As the OP said it has the most wasted potential on a system ever.

Sony is signing great games all the time, though. They care dearly about the system. It has more games released than any other dedicated gaming device.

Circinus

There's also Oreshika: Tainted Bloodline that released this month.

Yep, thanks for pointing that out.

And the PS Vita versions of Resogun, Dead Nation, The Unfinished Swan, Sly Cooper Trilogy, Ratchet & Clank Trilogy, God of War Collection and Borderlands 2. All released within the past year as well.

I understand that if you've already played all of those games that it might not be interesting to play them again.

But for me, I'm all for it since I haven't played many of these games yet. Always up for more games on PS Vita, regardless of their origin. As long as it's a new game to me it's of value for me.

VLiberty

Sony is signing great games all the time, though. They care dearly about the system. It has more games released than any other dedicated gaming device.

I can see where he is coming from and I agree, Vita could've been a lot more. But it was literally impossible to make it realize its potential, not in this age or in any of the future ones.

That said, I agree with you that Sony is actually doing something for the platform. The games it is undeniably and consistently getting aren't coming out of nowhere; Sony is working well behind the scenes with the work of Gio Corsi's and Shahid's teams.

Your talking about it being an "healthy ecosystem" about it having "a dearth of software" when it's not the case. Exclusive games keep being released, it has hundreds of upcoming games (there's a thread about it if you're interested) so it's not the case at all.

You sound super emotional. It's weird how people get so invested into an inanimate object because they put some money into it.

I lurk on that thread. How much do those "hundreds" of exclusives sell? What are the review scores? I see a lot of Japanese titles that I'm not interested in, tons of ports and cross-platform titles, and a few well-reviewed exclusives.

Don't bothering answering my questions - I didn't think I said anything offensive, about a consumer good no less, and I don't make it a habit to argue with cult members.

Maximo

You're dramatically underestimating the appeal of handhelds, and this is coming from someone who hated every handheld they bought until the Vita.

The joys of holding them in my hand outweigh having them on my PC.
Definitely agree with this. Been a huge PC Gamer for many years now and last Handheld I bought was a Gameboy before the N3DS and Ps VIta. But there are a TON Of indie games I would much rather play on my Vita then my PC, the instant Pause and Resume Feature just makes playing games so simple and easy, put it down and pick it up whenever you want and continue playing. Spelunky,Binding Of Issac Rebirth, Rogue Legacy,ECT are godlike for playing on the go/in bed.

You sound super emotional. It's weird how people get so invested into an inanimate object because they put some money into it.

I lurk on that thread. How much do those "hundreds" of exclusives sell? What are the review scores?
Your bringing up Review Scores now ?

I lurk on that thread. How much do those "hundreds" of exclusives sell? What are the review scores? I see a lot of Japanese titles that I'm not interested in, tons of ports and cross-platform titles, and a few well-reviewed exclusives.

Don't bothering answering my questions - I didn't think I said anything offensive, about a consumer good no less, and I don't make it a habit to argue with cult members.

You keep saying that but I'm not, I'm just having a conversation with someone who doesn't agree with me that's it.

They sell well enough for the dev to keep releasing games on it so pretty good? And what does review scores have to do with having "a dearth of software"?

Edit: We're using ad-hominem now? And i'm the one being emotional lol.

sublimit

Banned

The system already has great games on it,no argue about that.But they are not the ones with massive appeal that would require of Sony to put their hands deep in their pockets in order to buy exclusivity and bring a renaissance to the system by expanding the user base and bring more developers to it.

Yasumi

Banned

It's an unhealthy platform when I can't find one game I'm interested in buying for it because I have games for everything. My Saturn has more titles I own than I'm interested in for the Vita. The only exception I can think of is Persona 4, because I do want it, but I won't pick it up without Japanese audio. Even my PS4 has more games I'm interested in, even if three of the four games I have for it are import and cross-gen.

So you've skipped out on Danganronpa 1+2, Ys Celceta, Oreshika, Tales of Hearts, Sword Art Online, Freedom Wars, Soul Sacrifice Delta, Gravity Rush, and, since you import, God Eater 2 and Digimon Cyber Sleuth? For someone who apparently likes Japanese games to find none of those appealing, maybe you should try broadening your tastes.

Gigglepoo

The system already has great games on it,no argue about that.But they are not the ones with massive appeal that would require of Sony to put their hands deep in their pockets in order to bring a renaissance to the system.

Massive appeal = Huge marketing budget.

The games are fine; people just don't know about them.

Li Kao

So you've skipped out on Danganronpa 1+2, Ys Celceta, Oreshika, Tales of Hearts, Sword Art Online, Freedom Wars, Soul Sacrifice Delta, Gravity Rush, and, since you import, God Eater 2 and Digimon Cyber Sleuth? For someone who apparently likes Japanese games to find none of those appealing, maybe you should try broadening your tastes.

Hush, you cult member ! ( ^_^)

btrboyev

It's literally the only system that has come out that wasnt support by its own damn manufacturer. Songs support and marketing were darn right atrocious.

It's a dead platform.

Not exactly. It's unlikely Sony will release another AAA type of 1st party exclusive, or at least AAA for a handheld. To me, the Vita will continue to get a good selection of indie/small bidet stuff and a decent amount of Japanese niche games. I don't think that would constitute a renaissance, but I wouldn't be upset with that fate. I just don't want it to completely die.

Top Bottom