• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A WINNER MUST BE DECIDED!

Sean

Banned
1) Rev
2) 360
3) PS3

The PS3 design is really disappointing especially coming after the sexy PSP. The big bulge makes it look really stupid and also doesn't allow you to stack anything on top of it. Then there is the ugly Spider-Man font, the ugly boomerang controller, "George Foreman" console.. When it's horizontal, the way most people will be using it, it looks even worse. I really don't see anything great about it.

Diablos

huzkee said:
dry%20cell.JPG
:lol

Cheebs

Am I the one who finds it insanely weird that in this thread its Nintendo who is supported by the majority and Sony is supported by the minority who happens to be very, very, vocal?

It's like a alternate universe GAF! :lol

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Why is everyone picking the rev? Looks exactly like my first cable modem...

1. Rev
2. 360
3. PS3

The 360 and PS3 already look dated. Their design shouldn't have been so ambitious. The simpler the better. Look at the Dreamcast- it's still sexy even today.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
the 360 design has really grown on me. the "inhaled" shape is distinctive, and i like its heavy matte plastics.

null points for the iCableModem. although i like that it's small.

i dislike the ps3 design less than i did at first, but the spiderman font still bugs me.

seanoff

What's defeating me is a White Dell SFF PC is considered sexy. (360 if you don't know)

Some of you must have a very fun time on the dell web site.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
The Playstation 3 is actually the only design I've started disliking more over the past couple of months, especially in the light of the 360 release. While I can't fault the designers at Sony for trying something different I don't think emulating a kitchen appliance was the way to go. The odd jutting front section and the whole pregnant design choice for the rest of the console just doesn't mesh well with any other consumer electronic and stands out for the wrong reasons in a home entertainment setup. Although you never see the back of the console the ridiculous amount of connections is over top as well. I guess I could go on about the lazy logo design but I think I'm hating way too much as it is. They really should have hired the PSP designers to come up with this design, what a difference between the two.

Microsoft I thought nailed a sleek design with the 360, a stark contrast to their monolithic Xbox. While I had reservations about the inhaled design it provides a nice aesthetic and fools the viewer into thinking its slimmer then it really is. The power brick is still the biggest negative. Thankfully it isn't directly attached to the console itself and is usually hidden away from the naked eye. I was also happy to see that their cluttered 360 spiral logo remained off the system and they only used the nice clean font on the side. Bonus points must also be given for the ability to replace the front plate with another design, personalizing a system is a nice touch I'd say. Overall I'd say that the 360 is a nice blend of conformity and attractive design, it’s just a rectangular metal box with a nice looking with matte plastic encasing it.

The Revolution is the only console design that I remain ambivalent on. I can see that Nintendo embraced a minimalist design choice for the system, which I like, although they took it a little too far. Those of you calling it a cable modem are partially correct though I don't think it has enough of a personality to properly emulate one. However I can appreciate the small form factor, glowing disc tray, and how well it blends with a home entertainment setup Hopefully Nintendo will imbue it with the iPod-inspired design of the Revolution controller and the DS Lite to give it more personality. Rounding off the edges and stylizing the front of the system will go a long way to enhancing the design.

1. Microsoft's Xbox 360
2. Nintendo's Revolution
3. Sony's Playstation 3

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
PS3 is like PS2 in that it has some nice angles and some really bad angles, if i lay my PS2 flat and look at it front on i cant help but cringe, i get the same feeling with PS3, from the side it looks pretty, from the front it looks cheap and bulky (imo).

Rev & 360 are much more consistent.

They all have their issues though, i dont particuarly like the front of the 360 and the rev is basically a blank canvas with a blue led light on the tray...still

Rev --> 360 --> PS3 (the supposedly silver one)

<nu>faust

i'd love a console that would have the overall design of 360,size of rev and high end av style sleek finishing ala ps3 but since we live ina real world here is my vote:

1- 360

2- Rev

3- Ps3

1 Rev = will become smaller. with DS perfect!

2 360 = worst in pic. better in real life. see for yourselves.

3 PS3 = Bose rejected 1990 design? disappoint after PSP. hope better in real life.

123rl

Blackace said:
200px-Cable.modem.arp.500pix.jpg

the rev is the sexiest..

That's the same as my modem. I never noticed before but it really does look like the Revolution :lol

Anyway:

Revolution (white, then black...rest of the colours don't interest me)
PS3 if it's black or white
PS3 silver

Top Bottom