• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

According to Shinobi602, Death Stranding 2 and Rise of the Ronin are set to release in 2024

Norman Reedus Jump GIF by PlayStation

That'll be me for that Day 1 purchase

It's simply what a lot of people are speculating to be the case, looking at how Shinobi602 confirmed on Era that Bluepoint's game was from an existing IP plus their involvement with the development of God of War: Ragnarök - it would just make sense for them to be the ones in charge of the standalone expansion (one along the lines of Miles Morales or The Lost Legacy) of Ragnarök, which would certainly fit their ambitions of developing "Game of the Year quality games".

Eh, I was hoping Bluepoint's next game was a new IP or bringing back a legacy IP. Or at least something like a Bloodborne remake.

But if it's GOW DLC/Expansion, then that's what it is. Makes sense on some level I suppose.

Ehhh ok so this is not true as I suspected and is purely speculation. I highly doubt Bluepoint Games are working on GoW Ragnarok expansion. It's most likely Bloodborne with their experience or Demon's Souls Remake.

Bluepoint always work on existing IPs. Not saying it's not possible, but I do not believe they are working on GoW Ragnarok stuff.

Given the Bloodborne movie announcement, a remake to time alongside the film would make a lot of sense. It would be great to see how their tech has advanced four years post Demon's Souls Remake.

Last edited:

Lupin25

If it ends up really buggy, they're better off holding Wolverine for 2025. Seriously, Insomniac have kinda been the MVP for SIE in terms of non-GaaS output consistency this gen. Some of the other studios (particularly Naughty Dog), REALLY need to step it TF up.

I kinda agree with them in that FF7R is probably getting a Switch 2 port around launch; the three-month exclusivity window is just conspicuously short. In reality considering Switch 2 doesn't release until next fall, effective exclusivity on PS5 would be ~ 9 months for FF7R.

But it all kind of depends on when Switch 2 releases. JRPGs have a big audience on Switch...well, at least some of them do. 7R doesn't need to have PS5-level visuals on Switch 2; assuming the game also gets a PC port in the future and will likely target low-end PC hardware that ~ matches Series S, then 7R on Switch 2 can target Series S-level performance when docked, provided the system has good enough base specs (really, the CPU needs to be on-point) and DLSS 3.2 or better.

Dunno about any Xbox port but at this point it wouldn't surprise me if that would also be in the works, maybe timed for after a Switch 2 version and I guess if S-E decided for a Game Pass deal then an Xbox version would come last, after hitting PC (which'd come after hitting Switch 2). We'd be talking mid-2025 at the earliest, probably later. This all assumes a few things, of course.

However, it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Insomniac’s output this gen has been unheard of. I don’t think anyone can compete with such an efficient pipeline.

That’s probably why the void is being filled with 2nd/3rd party exclusives. Bend, SSM, ND & Housemarque are developing new IP. It’s taken quite some time for all, but sensible nonetheless. 5-6 yrs dev time for a new IP is why you’re see a lack of anything excitingly new.

I honestly think ND has been pretty normal as far as their release schedule, outside of TLOU Factions being delayed
(TLOU2: 2020, TLOU1: 2022).
The problem is, it’s too much TLOU.
Fatigue for the IP is setting in, even with the exceptional gameplay/set pieces/character development.

Oh, and I have no doubt SE will port 7R to the Switch 2 for additional sales. FF7R: Crisis Core is already on the Switch, so it’s a no brainer for 7R in the future.
Not so sure about FF7 Rebirth, however lol.

As far as an XSX/XSS port. That’s been more than feasible with their specs, but Sony seems less willing to play ball with MS regarding FF7, so I doubt it.
SE could supersede this, but with Sony helping fund the Og remake it’s unlikely, Especially once FF7 Rebirth releases, Sony will want that entire audience, for the most part, for quite some time (at least until 2026).

Eh, I was hoping Bluepoint's next game was a new IP or bringing back a legacy IP. Or at least something like a Bloodborne remake.

But if it's GOW DLC/Expansion, then that's what it is. Makes sense on some level I suppose.

Given the Bloodborne movie announcement, a remake to time alongside the film would make a lot of sense. It would be great to see how their tech has advanced four years post Demon's Souls Remake.
Demon's Souls Remake looks absolutely insane. Best environments and lighting I've seen in a long time. Funny thing is, it's using the Shadow of the Colossus Remake engine if I am not mistake. If Bloodborne is remade in that engine with the latest bells and whistles I will shit bricks.

Go_Ly_Dow

Insomniac’s output this gen has been unheard of. I don’t think anyone can compete with such an efficient pipeline.

Spiderman 1 for PS5 is a remaster.
Miles Morales for PS5 - DLC/Expansion.
R&C made by their second team about an 11 hour long game.
Spiderman 2 released 5 years after the original game reused a ton of the work from the 1st game, riddled with fetch quests and padding, can be platinumed in about 20 hours.
Wolverine - sounds like late 2024-25. I'd bet you can beat it comfortably in 10-15 hours, we'll see.

Not suggesting these titles don't offer quality, but they have a formula of reusing previous work, putting out short games and padding to be an efficient studio and pump out a lot of games quickly. I wouldn't want every other 1st or 3rd party studio to mimmick this even if its efficient.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I need to play death stranding. I own it but with the backlog I have ill never do it in time for 2 so I jist can't be interested in it.

Really awesome for rhose who loved the first.

I'll check rise of the ronin.

All I care about is ff7r!

Hohenheim

Is Ronin PC day one?
Death Stranding 2 is PS5 only, right? And Silent hill 2 is PC day one..?

Trying to figure out if I actually need my PS5 in 2024.

Spiderman 2 released 5 years after the original game reused a ton of the work from the 1st game, riddled with fetch quests and padding, can be platinumed in about 20 hours.
Wolverine - sounds like late 2024-25. I'd bet you can beat it comfortably in 10-15 hours, we'll see.

Not suggesting these titles don't offer quality, but they have a formula of reusing previous work, putting out short games and padding to be an efficient studio and pump out a lot of games quickly. I wouldn't want every other 1st or 3rd party studio to mimmick this even if its efficient.
They have well over 500 developers, and a report came out they have between 2 to 3 teams(depending) working on seperate games simultaneously. I'm not going to overly complain, as all of their games this generation are rock solid and worth buying day 1. But, it does seem their games average 3 year development cycles, which is quite short when you compare to every other major Sony studio. And imo, their games are noticbly leaner because of this. We will see though. I'm excited for Wolverine and I hope Insomniac takes their time with it

Big time. Was shitting on it shamelessly before I played it, not gonna lie. Ended up being one of my games of the gen. That crow was delicious.
That's what Death Stranding does lol. There's been a few people that started hating it but ended up loving it lol.

The second game won't get that reaction because people know what there getting.

Then and again it's Kojima so 2 might end up being a completely different game lol.

Lupin25

True, but because they are all quality titles with varying set pieces/narratives it makes them all unique packages.

PS5 innovations (from Rift Apart to Spider-Man 2) that were made for new entries only highlighted all of this more.

Rift Apart reuses assets, but overall asset quality and fidelity are at a much higher bar compared to 2016.

“Expandalones” with 10-15 hr play time should be what most of the industry does for “some” titles to fill in the gaps with tighter experiences. But clearly, publishers want games padded with content to justify long wait times for games.

I think it’s most sensible for Sony, because with multiple studios working on new IP or original content (Bluepoint, ND, Bend, SSM, Media Molecule), having already existing IP like Spider-Man, Horizon & GoW pump out titles the past 6 yrs, was the easiest outcome to depend on.

Terenty

Ds2 lets go. Lets see those underground cities powered by Ps5.
C'mon, Kojima would never put resources into stuff like cities full of npcs etc. It's not an rpg.

He's laser focused on gameplay and mechanics, which is one of his greatest strengths as a game designer.

C'mon, Kojima would never put resources into stuff like cities full of npcs etc. It's not an rpg.

He's laser focused on gameplay and mechanics, which is one of his greatest strengths as a game designer.
Im expecting horizon level settlements. What were you expecting?

Terenty

Im expecting horizon level settlements. What were you expecting?
I'm not expecting any settlements. Why would they be there? Have you played the first game? We will probably see the same holograms if there are still npcs. It's simply not feasible to spend so much resources on things that don't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Top Bottom