• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

According to Shinobi602, Death Stranding 2 and Rise of the Ronin are set to release in 2024

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Why wouldn’t people want to play it there? Are you out of the loop about how many units the Zelda games have sold on the Switch?

I’m not sure why you think PS4 level visuals on a portable platform is a poor value proposition.

Especially in Japan where Square is sure to sell a ton more units of the game than on console.

Zelda is an exclusive title with high scores that has dated visuals.

Switch 2 is not going to be the preferred place to play FF7R just like Hogwarts isn’t

I am not expecting ps4 level visuals on a handheld. I’m expecting that for docked mode only. And this isn’t ps4 gen any longer

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Why wouldn’t people want to play it there? Are you out of the loop about how many units the Zelda games have sold on the Switch?

I’m not sure why you think PS4 level visuals on a portable platform is a poor value proposition.

Especially in Japan where Square is sure to sell a ton more units of the game than on console.

Why do you think that just because Zelda sold tons as an exclusive switch game that all multiplatform games would sell incredibly well on switch?

Hogwarts ain’t going to light the world on fire for Switch, maybe it’ll justify the port cost but it’ll come nowhere close to the sales on PlayStation

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Really going out on a a limb there.

I could tell you that the next Steam deck will have custom hardware from the year 2025. Be sure that now and I called it first.

kaizenkko

Btw, if true this means the slate of 2024 Sony published games will be the following:
  • Helldivers II
  • Concord
  • Death Stranding 2
  • Stellar Blade
  • Rise of the Ronin
  • MLB The Show*
  • Destiny 2: The Final Shape*
3rd party console exclusives titles:
  • Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth
  • Granblue Fantasy: Relink
  • Silent Hill 2 Remake
Hope I'm not missing anything there.
Plus: God of War DLC/expansion develop by Bluepoint, TLOU 2 Remastered + Factions and other little white/blue stuff.

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

So we’re going to DS2 vs Hellblade 2 graphics face-off.

Ozriel

M$FT
Why do you think that just because Zelda sold tons as an exclusive switch game that all multiplatform games would sell incredibly well on switch?

Hogwarts ain’t going to light the world on fire for Switch, maybe it’ll justify the port cost but it’ll come nowhere close to the sales on PlayStation

When did I say ‘all multiplatform games’? And where did you get the idea I was talking about the Switch?

A mainline Final Fantasy game launching on the next gen Switch, and with PS4+ level visuals will sell significant numbers in Japan.

Hogwarts is a weird example.

Last edited:

Kerotan

DS2 will be day 1. Hopefully they get it out a few months before GTA V. Summer release would be perfect.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Btw, if true this means the slate of 2024 Sony published games will be the following:
  • Helldivers II
  • Concord
  • Death Stranding 2
  • Stellar Blade
  • Rise of the Ronin
  • MLB The Show*
  • Silent Hill 2 Remake
Three games so far for me this year and only one so far for me next year.

Oh No Reaction GIF by CA in LA

Ozriel

M$FT

the point is it sold well. Reviewed well too. People were clearly more enthusiastic to play a long RPG on Switch than you claim.
An FF7R port on a next gen Switch won’t have ‘dated graphics’

Switch 2 is not going to be the preferred place to play FF7R just like Hogwarts isn’t

Hogwarts is seriously visually compromised by the power of the Switch. Not a scenario you’d expect to see with the new model.

I am not expecting ps4 level visuals on a handheld.

…we pretty much already have that on Steamdeck, running native at 800p.

semiconscious

Gold Member
loved death stranding, but have zero interest in playing a sequel. & rise of the ronin, which looks very nice, appears to be, combat-wise, yet another parry fest, which i'm very, very tired of. i put up with parrying in souls games (tho i mostly dodge, actually) because i love souls games, but otherwise? tired of it...

bender

What time is it?
I was pretty excited for Rise of the Ronin after the NIOH games but Wo Long left me a little cold (didn't try Stranger of Paradise). I'm surprised we've heard so little about it.

Elios83

Rise of Ronin was already leaked by Sony as early 2024. We should be hearing soon.
DS2 will likely get a new trailer at TGA, so we'll see if there is a release year in the trailer as well.
Really looking forward to both!

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
I wonder if DS2 will come to PC Game Pass by 505 games like last time. It would be weird for it to not be available.
It wouldn't be "weird". The 505 deal was done because SIE wasn't publishing their games on PC back then (with the exception of pretty small stuff like Helldivers). No reason for it to happen again nowadays.

StueyDuck

Mmm gimme some of that wet hot ds2 all over my face.

Can't wait.

Also rise of the Ronin is cool I guess, we still need to see more of what it really is, seems intriguing enough though

nial

Gold Member
Wonder if there is a chance of Tsushima 2 to hit by next year end. Seems like they have been working it for quite a bit now and hoped they could reuse some art assets, their engine work, dev pipelines, etc.. for the sequel.
I personally think the game could be ready for 2024, but that they will delay it to early 2025 so that Rise of the Ronin can have a breathing room in the first half of the year, and then announce GOT2 in September-December.
It would be pretty good for full polishing, at the very least.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
You do realize rebirth is a PS5 only game, right?

FF7R would be seriously visually compromised by Switch 2

PS4+ level visuals on a handheld isn’t going to look like a serious visual compromise. People are happily running current gen only games on the AMD handhelds.

It would probably do well in Japan. But optimistically you’re looking at 10-15% LTD sales globally on Switch 2

You're probably lowballing it, tbh. But we’ll see.

Sanepar

No fp sp games in 2024. What a mess PS Studios. 1 game in 2 years. Good luck next gen trying to compete against 33 studios.

• Helldivers II
  • Concord
  • Death Stranding 2
  • Stellar Blade
  • Rise of the Ronin
  • MLB The Show*
  • Silent Hill 2 Remake

Wolverine. I think it has a chance of late 2024.

wOs

• Helldivers II
  • Concord
  • Death Stranding 2
  • Stellar Blade
  • Rise of the Ronin
  • MLB The Show*
  • Silent Hill 2 Remake

I hope you are. I guess I didn’t realize I have only FF and possibly SH2 for the whole year.

StereoVsn

I personally think the game could be ready for 2024, but that they will delay it to early 2025 so that Rise of the Ronin can have a breathing room in the first half of the year, and then announce GOT2 in September-December.
It would be pretty good for full polishing, at the very least.
They could always announce right after Ronin release and then do Nov-Dec launch. Probably wishful thinking on my part, but I enjoyed GoT much more then vast majority of Ubi games and would love to see the sequel sooner vs later.

Fairgame$ is due as well.

If there’s 6 GaaS due by 2025 I’d say at least 4 will come next year judging by this list adding Haven into the mix.

Wolverine you could say, is tentative with Insomniac just releasing a big AAA game, but they have release titles back-to-back (Miles Morales & Rift Apart) in years prior, so we’ll see if they can make the holiday slate again.

If it ends up really buggy, they're better off holding Wolverine for 2025. Seriously, Insomniac have kinda been the MVP for SIE in terms of non-GaaS output consistency this gen. Some of the other studios (particularly Naughty Dog), REALLY need to step it TF up.

I am not expecting ps4 level visuals on a handheld. I’m expecting that for docked mode only. And this isn’t ps4 gen any longer

I kinda agree with them in that FF7R is probably getting a Switch 2 port around launch; the three-month exclusivity window is just conspicuously short. In reality considering Switch 2 doesn't release until next fall, effective exclusivity on PS5 would be ~ 9 months for FF7R.

But it all kind of depends on when Switch 2 releases. JRPGs have a big audience on Switch...well, at least some of them do. 7R doesn't need to have PS5-level visuals on Switch 2; assuming the game also gets a PC port in the future and will likely target low-end PC hardware that ~ matches Series S, then 7R on Switch 2 can target Series S-level performance when docked, provided the system has good enough base specs (really, the CPU needs to be on-point) and DLSS 3.2 or better.

Dunno about any Xbox port but at this point it wouldn't surprise me if that would also be in the works, maybe timed for after a Switch 2 version and I guess if S-E decided for a Game Pass deal then an Xbox version would come last, after hitting PC (which'd come after hitting Switch 2). We'd be talking mid-2025 at the earliest, probably later. This all assumes a few things, of course.

However, it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The same guy during summer 2013 when MS and Sony didn't announced their launch day yet, he predicted "Oct or Dec".

They both launched in November.

how much time did ds 1 get?
Just development, it started when they chose Decima as their engine, which was around august of 2016. So they had about 3 years and a couple months of development.
But we have to take into consideration, Sony lend Kojima developers from Guerilla, Bend and even Insomniac. But still, I'd say what helped the most was the fact that they had a clear vision and direction of what they wanted to do so yeah, I expect DS2 to go as smoothly as the first one.

Perrott

• Helldivers II
  • Concord
  • Death Stranding 2
  • Stellar Blade
  • Rise of the Ronin
  • MLB The Show*
  • Silent Hill 2 Remake
Also the Horizon: Zero Dawn and The Last Of Us Part II remasters, as well as the God of War: Ragnarök standalone expansion likely from Bluepoint and probably the next Team Asobi platformer.

Also the Horizon: Zero Dawn and The Last Of Us Part II remasters, as well as the God of War: Ragnarök standalone expansion likely from Bluepoint and probably the next Team Asobi platformer.
Who said bluepoint is making the GoW R expansion? Link please.

Just development, it started when they chose Decima as their engine, which was around august of 2016. So they had about 3 years and a couple months of development.
But we have to take into consideration, Sony lend Kojima developers from Guerilla, Bend and even Insomniac. But still, I'd say what helped the most was the fact that they had a clear vision and direction of what they wanted to do so yeah, I expect DS2 to go as smoothly as the first one.
Yeah, only 3 years of full development is so crazy. I assume Kojima productions has grown greatly since 2019, and so has Sony's support network. Give Kojima an extra 12-18 months extra months of development time on a sequel, with even more resources, and I have incredibly high hopes it will be a GOTY contender. For sure it will be the best looking open world game until GTA 6 comes out

Perrott

Who said bluepoint is making the GoW R expansion? Link please.
It's simply what a lot of people are speculating to be the case, looking at how Shinobi602 confirmed on Era that Bluepoint's game was from an existing IP plus their involvement with the development of God of War: Ragnarök - it would just make sense for them to be the ones in charge of the standalone expansion (one along the lines of Miles Morales or The Lost Legacy) of Ragnarök, which would certainly fit their ambitions of developing "Game of the Year quality games".

It's simply what a lot of people are speculating to be the case, looking at how Shinobi602 confirmed on Era that Bluepoint's game was from an existing IP plus their involvement with the development of God of War: Ragnarök - it would just make sense for them to be the ones in charge of the standalone expansion (one along the lines of Miles Morales or The Lost Legacy) of Ragnarök, which would certainly fit their ambitions of developing "Game of the Year quality games".
Ehhh ok so this is not true as I suspected and is purely speculation. I highly doubt Bluepoint Games are working on GoW Ragnarok expansion. It's most likely Bloodborne with their experience or Demon's Souls Remake.

Bluepoint always work on existing IPs. Not saying it's not possible, but I do not believe they are working on GoW Ragnarok stuff.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
DS1 is incredible. Replayed a lot of it this year too.

Can’t wait for part 2.

Also, why is his word worth taking at face value ?

Top Bottom