• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Accounts that have spent less than $5 on Steam now have limited access

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It was supposed to be for Yoshi. He was talking about Valve taking away abilities and you pointing out it's non-retroactive. He should have put the "Read again.." line in between your posts to be more clear.

Ah. Given the formatting I thought he'd clicked the + button but forgot to deselect the post when he decided to respond to Yoshi instead, haha.

So I just helped my little sister unlock her account, I usually gift her games for her birthday but eh a random gift once in awhile is nice too I suppose.

Hopefully there will be less bots around, tho I must say that I only get random invite once in while (my profile is viewable to friends only).

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Read, again, the thread before you post or maybe you really want a tag like "I dont read the thread or the op, please ignore me". Also your "analogons" are terrible...
I know I've been demanded to keep quite, however I think it is only fair to answer:

I've read the op and numerous posts before posting here, however, the update that it's not retroactive was added later than my first post (or, at least later than the point of time I've loaded up the initial post. Since I was well aware that I had read the OP and numerous posts, >100, after that) I did not re-read it, since the points that were brought forward against what I said did not point towards that point, but misunderstandings of what I said (disregarding potential misunderstanding from me). I therefore have to apologize to anyone who argued against me because of it not being retroactive. I would still prefer other measures (explained above), but in this case at least for existing Steam customers there is no problem and future game buyers have the option to make an informed buying decision and if needed skip a retail game if it manages its online multiplayer through Steam's friends list.

IbUrbkR.gif

I don't think I've ever seen duckroll get mad before.

t means: MS and Sony are taking more money from you, so that's worse in that regard. However, the money you pay, you pay directly for being able to use online and then have a guarantee that you can do that for the specified amount of time.
Also this is some serious kool-aid xD

atomsk

Party Pooper
I suppose since it's not retroactive it will take a bit to weed these out

(from 5 minutes ago)

IyRRNaK.png

Yeah, let me get right on that.

I want to meet this hypothetical person who only buys retail PC games and hasn't or wont spend $5 on steam because that''s the only way that person exists, in a hypothetical scenario.

Sendou

I want to meet this hypothetical person who only buys retail PC games and hasn't or wont spend $5 on steam because that''s the only way that person exists, in a hypothetical scenario.

I think I saw a movie where an invidual like that was genetically engineered to existence by a scientist team of twenty.

foltzie1

It seems like the only people who don't like this change are people who don't use Steam.

Certainly seems that way. I'm still wagering the potential user base that is affected is less than 0.1%. How many people really do not ever buy a game during one of the Steam sales, and exclusively work through gifts an the Humble Bundles? I'm guessing the number is less than 10K.

Mr_Zombie

Wow, some people really live in a bubble. Because it's so hard to grasp that in some countries Steam prices aren't so hot, right? And that if you aren't interested in Steam-exclusive (indie) games or don't want to wait for months for a good (-50% at least) sale other shops (both retail and digital) are a better option? Case in point: last month I bought RE Revelations 2 for 99PLN (~25 euro). The same version on Steam would cost me 39.99 euro. But yeah, why would someone not want to buy games on Steam - it's ridiculous, right?

It's funny that you need to use ignorance in an argument.

Certainly seems that way. I'm still wagering the potential user base that is affected is less than 0.1%. How many people really do not ever buy a game during one of the Steam sales, and exclusively work through gifts an the Humble Bundles? I'm guessing the number is less than 10K.

This thread is literally the first time I've heard of such a thing.

foltzie1

Wow, some people really live in a bubble. Because it's so hard to grasp that in some countries Steam prices aren't so hot, right? And that if you aren't interested in Steam-exclusive (indie) games or don't want to wait for months for a good (-50% at least) sale other shops (both retail and digital) are a better option? Case in point: last month I bought RE Revelations 2 for 99PLN (~25 euro). The same version on Steam would cost me 39.99 euro. But yeah, why would someone not want to buy games on Steam - it's ridiculous, right?

You are conflating the statement once with always. I'm certain most of use have acquired Steam Keys from somewhere else due to great deals (or charity with HB), but to never buy anything on Steam directly? Not once? Yet, still be a heavy user of the service and be affected by these changes in a meaningful manner?

We're having difficulty believing those users really exist, or in my case exist in numbers beyond a simple handful.

Have you spent $5?

I don't think it's so much a question of it being ridiculous as to whether or not one should want to buy Steamworks-games through a store other than Steam, but about how plausible it is that some PC gamer that could conceivably be affected by this has never purchased something directly through Steam.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Don't forget about the desperate need to add new friends and possibly talk to them through their phone, none of whom have spent $5 on the Steam store either. I think I once read about a person like that in a Greek myths book.

foltzie1

So, it only affects newly created accounts, right?

The OP has been updated, so it looks like Valve is taking an even gentler approach to this change and despite my previous thoughts, this is a better implementation strategy.

Fret not ye mystical individuals who have never bought anything from Steam, your accounts shall not be restricted.

This means Valve still has some work to do to clear out existing spam accounts.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I suppose since it's not retroactive it will take a bit to weed these out

(from 5 minutes ago)

IyRRNaK.png

Yeah, let me get right on that.

Time will solve that... eventually. Just remember to report the "user" before ignoring the request.

how funny, I don't know how much I've spent but I have about 200+ games. usually buy when there super cheap but still.

You can use Enhanced Steam to check how much money you've spent on the store (it'll add a few lines of data to your account page).

M3d10n

Don't forget about the desperate need to add new friends and possibly talk to them through their phone, none of whom have spent $5 on the Steam store either. I think I once read about a person like that in a Greek myths book.

I didn't even know the phone app had chat until this thread.

Mr_Zombie

Have you spent $5?

Yes, I've spent even more than $5 on Steam because I'm the type of gamer who likes indie games and old games, thank you very much. But I have at least one friend on my friend list (Steam user since 2010, 6 games on his account, none of them bought on Steam) who, if the change was retroactive, would be turned into a limited user.

And since the very beginning of this discussion I was saying that no, $5 isn't a high price (at least for most people). But it's just unfair towards a certain group of users that could even have a Steam library worth of thousands of dollars with games bought at retail, in another digital shop or through Kickstarter and still be put in the same group as spambots. Valve should at least provide (or consider providing) an alternative method to verify those users.

You are conflating the statement once with always. I'm certain most of use have acquired Steam Keys from somewhere else due to great deals (or charity with HB), but to never buy anything on Steam directly? Not once? Yet, still be a heavy user of the service and be affected by these changes in a meaningful manner?

We're having difficulty believing those users really exist, or in my case exist in numbers beyond a simple handful.

You see, if you're the type of gamer who mainly (or only) buys AAA games near the release (i.e. not wait for months until they appear on Steam sale with -75% price cut), then in Poland and probably certain other countries with healthy PC game market Steam is one of the last places where you would want to buy games due to high prices (and euro to PLN conversion, which especially sucks). And since various older games are also re-released in "Greatest Hits", "Good Price" etc. collections where their prices often put Steam sales prices to shame (e.g. DmC Devil May Cry is currently available for 32.99 PLN - that's less than 8.5 euro; the same game on Steam is available for 39.99 euro; for it to match the current Polish standard price it would need to be on -80% sale) you can understand why there are people who never felt the need to buy anything on Steam shop while still being active on Steam service itself (since most games use Steam as the default DRM or implement Steamworks). Why some people have such a hard time imagining this is beyond me.

I don't think it's so much a question of it being ridiculous as to whether or not one should want to buy Steamworks-games through a store other than Steam, but about how plausible it is that some PC gamer that could conceivably be affected by this has never purchased something directly through Steam.

No, he directly stated that "[a] person who only buys retail PC games and hasn't or wont spend $5 on steam" only exists in "a hypothetical scenario". There were no buts or ifs about it. And there were at least two or three other people in this thread stating the same thing - that PC gamers who use Steam but have never bought anything on Steam simply don't exist.

And the inability to send friend invites does affect you when you play multiplayer games (and a lot of games nowadays implement Steamwork for multiplayer features). Those others features are probably meaningless, but this one - friend invites - is not.

Sendou

And since the very beginning of this discussion I was saying that no, $5 isn't a high price (at least for most people). But it's just unfair towards a certain group of users that could even have a Steam library worth of thousands of dollars with games bought at retail, in another digital shop or through Kickstarter and still be put in the same group as spambots. Valve should at least provide (or consider providing) an alternative method to verify those users.

I will never believe that there exists users that own a library worth of thousands of dollars without never spending $5 on Steam store itself. That's just ridiculous.

I don't doubt there's people that haven't spend money on Steam store but still have bought Steamworks games but how much will these few miss the restricted functions? Answer is of course not enough to tip the scale in favor to them compared to everyone benefiting from spam accountless Steam.

In any case now that it's not retroactive I hope new people to Steam can do the research needed and know what they're getting into without feeling like they're being let down.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
This guy is actualy arguing that the monthly fee for XBL and PSN are better alternatives? What? What?

Yoshi, since no one else will say it, I will say it. At this point no one in this thread who is participating in good faith and who has a Steam account and values the services being discussed here gives a fuck what you have to say. You a) are in no way impacted, b) do not even care about the platform, c) do not have an interest in PC gaming nor do you follow the social trends or actual interests of people who do. So the value of anything you have to contribute to this discussion is jack shit. Go away, no one here wants to talk to you about this anymore. Yes I'm being rude, I don't care.

chrispaulnoway.png

Mesoian

This guy is actualy arguing that the monthly fee for XBL and PSN are better alternatives? What? What?

The thought process of not having to think about spending money, but being comfortable with someone taking money without one's direct consent at time of redemption is something that I've seen more and more people becoming okay with.

It's really weird.

Derpcrawler

They either need to make sure it applies to all account retroactively or if it already does, then bump up requirement to 10USD. I still got 2 spam invites today.

People who argue about this change are crazy, I would be getting 20-30 spam invites each day from bots and scammers. Now it dropped to 3-4 invites. Now I can actually pay attention to notifications that actually matter.

Yoshi, since no one else will say it, I will say it. At this point no one in this thread who is participating in good faith and who has a Steam account and values the services being discussed here gives a fuck what you have to say. You a) are in no way impacted, b) do not even care about the platform, c) do not have an interest in PC gaming nor do you follow the social trends or actual interests of people who do. So the value of anything you have to contribute to this discussion is jack shit. Go away, no one here wants to talk to you about this anymore. Yes I'm being rude, I don't care.

Did Yoshi just got #rekt?

W1KjvA5.gif

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I literally never received a spam bot invite, and didn't know they were so ubiquitous. That said, I fail to see anything unreasonable about this new restriction. In fact, it takes sheer amounts of mental gymnastics to find anything to complain about.
Fixed that for ya

I use steam daily, It's mainly a development tool for me and a web store that keeps me up to date. Also my lifelong friends are on there and stuff. I have a 5 digit accoutn and have made I think 1 store purchase. The buybuybuy culture on steam is lost on me.
So you are effectively worthless to Valve, and using their store platform as your dev work and/or marketing tool for free, and you think you're entitled to do that without contributing to the store because....? FFS you can still post on those forums, even, just not as often as before.

Valve's customers are entitled protection from spammers and scammers a lot more than you're entitled to use the forum without restriction.

Also, if you can't spare $5 for your game development budget to use something you find extremely useful to your work, then you might need to re-evaluate your budget and/or career, y'know?

In all honesty Steam doesn't have a competitor, but I find it hard to believe this is the best way to take care of the problem, and I also find it very dry and boring to actually delve into and prove that so guess I'll concede there.
"It's not the best solution, but I don't actually know what the best solution is, but really it's not the best solution!". Uh, okay...

But it's funny how taking care of their spam problem happens to make them a SHITTON of money
How do you figure? The majority of legitimate Steam users will not have to spend any more money to unlock these features, and the majority of Steam users who would have to pay, wouldn't use these features to begin with.

Someone already gave an example. Two friends - both without Steam accounts yet - buy that new hot multiplayer game that uses Steamworks for network functionality. The game is bought at retail or in another shop and only activated on Steam. Since both of them are now users with limited access, unless one of them buys another game (that he doesn't need right now - he wants to play this new game he has just bought) they can't even add each other as friends (and thus even chat with each other via Steam).
Boo hoo. If they can afford retail games, they can afford to have one of these friends to spend $5 for DLC on one of these games (or a cool indie or whatever), or buy a $5 digital game as a gift to someone else even, and then invite everyone else.

Dunno, but this looks like a major inconvenience to me.
Major? lol

(MEANINGLESS according to rich-GAF) $5
$5.... Rich-GAF

I think I've seen it all.

Steam requires users be at least 13 years to have an account, as is obvious on the account signup page. Do you mean your 13 year-old nephew?
Hahahaha, boom!

(from a Freedom Planet thread a while back that I remembered)

k06vtDA.png

Why are you even posting in this thread?
Yikes, I think this is really the purest textbook example of concern trolling, haha.

Ozium

I know I'm LTTP but why such a kerfuffle over this?

And why are people focusing on "having to pay for fully featured online"

pretty sure I could go create a new account today, download TF2 and play it online.. if I wanted to be steam friends with people I couldn't add them, but they could add me if I asked them to over any communications platform existing in 2015..

what's the big deal?

Cels

i don't see the problem with this new policy

if you have a better way to curtail spam and scammers i'm sure valve would like to hear it.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, but given Valve's history of non-retroactive policy changes, this one affecting applicable pre-existing users for a short while was almost certainly a mistake.
This is one time where I think changes should be retroactive. It would stop all currently existing spambots, instead of having to wait until they are all banned.

webkatt

I haven't spent a single cent on Steam!
Because my computer is too crappy and can't handle games like Super Meat Boy at 800x600 without dipping into 10-10FPS

atomsk

Party Pooper
I haven't gotten a single bullshit invite since the last one I posted in this thread, almost a month ago.

Thumbs up.

Top Bottom