• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 1-3 being re-released on 3DS in Japan

Semajer

I really want this out in Europe, I've been holding off on replaying any of the old games as I want to forget as much about them as I can. This had better not suffer from any of the iOS issues, and it better lead to an AAI collection.

I'm a little worried, because in the trailer you can see a few bits of the iOS version's jank (Angel's missing a frame of her "giving lunch" animation, Franziska's whip and Godot's hand-throw seem a bit fast), but I guess we'll find out.
Fuck. Damn it, Capcom. We are better than those iOS plebians.

zigg

I'm increasingly of the mind this probably isn't worth it even if it does come stateside.

It's becoming pretty clear this is as far as they intend to go, too, with no hope for AA4, AAI, or (especially) AAI2. 😢

I'm increasingly of the mind this probably isn't worth it even if it does come stateside.

It's becoming pretty clear this is as far as they intend to go, too, with no hope for AA4, AAI, or (especially) AAI2. ��

I think it's very possible they'll re-release those on 3DS, especially IF this does well in Japan. Now as to whether they'll cross shores...well...

zigg

I think it's very possible they'll re-release those on 3DS, especially IF this does well in Japan. Now as to whether they'll cross shores...well...
I kinda doubt it, given the apparent re-use of the iOS assets… they'd have to do same again for three more games to hit those. I have my doubts.

I did see Ema in the trailer though. Was her case in the iOS game?

I kinda doubt it, given the apparent re-use of the iOS assets… they'd have to do same again for three more games to hit those. I have my doubts.

Yeah I actually thought about that after posting it and you have a point. Unless they plan to do another iOS collection I guess? And then follow it up with 3DS re-releases...

I do believe the DS exclusive case was included in the iOS version.

Bankoiia

I just started a replay of the entire series and I'm mid-past the first game. Part of me wants to stop now and see if the 3DS version will get a release date in Europe. What to do, what to do.

Zalman

I just started a replay of the entire series and I'm mid-past the first game. Part of me wants to stop now and see if the 3DS version will get a release date in Europe. What to do, what to do.
Keep playing. Don't hold your breath for Capcom anymore.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

I don't see why they could not just do the remakes for 3DS, put the games in a 3DS collection and then port them over to phones to sell them there, too. If the first three games were successful on phones, it seems like a good idea actually.

I hope this makes it here in the West. I have the iOS version, and while I don't deem it the abomination most people here do, the use of GBA music for 2 and 3 is incredibly disappointing. Honestly, I'd happily forgive everything else, but the DS music was much better.

I hope this features the DS music.

image_detail_01_04.jpg

It looks as if they didn't reformat the games for widescreen and instead cropped the original images, hence the lack of headroom on Phoenix and Godot.
Lazy.

It looks as if they didn't reformat the games for widescreen and instead cropped the original images, hence the lack of headroom on Phoenix and Godot.
Lazy.
I hope there is an option to change that to borders* (I'm not holding hope of Capcom redrawing backgrounds to add stuff) as cropped and upscaled sprites (like trying to play DS mode stuff in non-1:1 but worse) is not the ideal way to enjoy this.

Edit: Though maybe it downscaled HD version sprites instead (would explain the missing frames :( ) as it does look clean.

*-Incidentally, didn't the WiiWare releases do this.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I hope there is an option to change that to borders* (I'm not holding hope of Capcom redrawing backgrounds to add stuff) as cropped and upscaled sprites (like trying to play DS mode stuff in non-1:1 but worse) is not the ideal way to enjoy this.

*-Incidentally, didn't the WiiWare releases do this.

If there's no such option and and there's only cropped images... yeah, I will just replay my originals.
Hoping that isn't the case. (and it comes here)

I could've sworn the Judge's gavel animation was smoother than that.

Having not played the iOS version, I'd still say it was; somebody mentioned a character exclusive to that case (Angel), and how one of her animations was missing a frame.

It's like the GBA version but even wider. You can't see all of Godot's left elbow in either the GBA or DS versions, but it's there in the 3DS shot.

zigg

Seems to be closer to the GBA. They do have a closer aspect ratio to each other than to the DS.

GBA Godot:
3_04.png
I don't think I have a problem with the cropping based on the above.

I'm still concerned about art quality, animation, and music, though.

It's like the GBA version but even wider. You can't see all of Godot's left elbow in either the GBA or DS versions, but it's there in the 3DS shot.
Actually, it's cut off a bit higher on the bottom, but the top crop looks identical. But it is indeed also wider.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

But you can see the end of Phoenix's arm on the left side of the DS shot, but cut off in the 3DS shot.
Weird stuff.

I'd much prefer top and bottom to not be cropped though and keep to as close DS versions as possible.

zigg

But you can see the end of Phoenix's arm on the left side of the DS shot, but cut off in the 3DS shot.
Weird stuff.

I'd much prefer top and bottom to not be cropped though and keep to as close DS versions as possible.
Having looked harder based on your point, I don't think the screen cropping is directly comparable, since they're using scalable high-res assets now and positioning them differently in the scene.

The shots may even be the left eye of a 3D image or something similar to that, which is going to shift everything around.

Oh man, now that we know that this game is gonna use the iOS sprites, I'm worried about the animation quality. What if they don't bother fixing it?

At 0:34 in the bottom right, Ema appears to blink. That's something at least, right?

It's missing a frame. Almost every character has 2 blinking frames. It looks weird to see her eyes shut like that with no frame in between.

EDIT: Still, that blinking frame is new (just checked), so maybe they'll finish translating all the animations this time. It at least shows that they're not simply porting over the iOS sprites and calling it a day.

Crisium

Ugh, ok. That's the real proof right there. The aspect ratio is not a deal breaker, imo. It's basically GBA which is how the game was designed anyway.

But animation? That's a huge part of this series. And chop-chop-chop instead of smooth is inexcusable. It looked bad on iOS, it looks bad on 3DS.

Bad port, confirmed. No hyperbole required.

Original of that blinking:
RftA_Ema_Skye_Bench_Normal_1.gif

qq more

disappointing to see the animations looks really off

did they cut out a few frames? wtf happened here? hopefully they'll fix this because I'd love to get this port and presentation is really important to these games

disappointing to see the animations looks really off

did they cut out a few frames? wtf happened here? hopefully they'll fix this because I'd love to get this port and presentation is really important to these games

It was like this on the iOS port. Why? No idea.

BUT IT'S UNACCEPTABLE!

OR7VHQ1.gif

wrowa

So, they used the inferior iOS version as the base, but they are charging three times as much for it. That doesn't sound like something I'd like to support.

I don't think people should pass judgment until the product is released, at least. I know this is Capcom we're talking about here, but I'm gonna remain optimistic.

So as someone who just started to play the first PW:AA game on their 3DS today, should I just move along with purchasing the rest of the series?

Also, is the Miles Edgeworth game worth a purchase?

The animations are off because the concept artists would not have drawn out every frame of the animations, just the key frames.

Edit: Also there would have been changes as the art team transitioned the drawings into sprites and added details not in the concept art.

So as someone who just started to play the first PW:AA game on their 3DS today, should I just move along with purchasing the rest of the series?

Also, is the Miles Edgeworth game worth a purchase?

I'll say wait and see for the first question. Since you just started playing the first game, it'll be a while before you feel the need to play the other games of the series.

A definite yes for the second question.

The animations are off because the concept artists would not have drawn out every frame of the animations, just the key frames.

Sorry, I don't buy that. The animation quality is completely different between characters. For example, Franziska transitioned into her HD sprites flawlessly, while Maya has most of her animation frames cut.

butman

Holly shit!

Right now i'm just replaying the first 4 games (AJ right now) on my 3DS for then start AA5, and capcom came out with this?

Crisium

I'll say wait and see for the first question. Since you just started playing the first game, it'll be a while before you feel the need to play the other games of the series.

Unless he gets totally hooked like me. I can't believe I still replay these linear games, but they are just too good!

I was lucky in that Justice For All was out by the time I finished the first game. But the wait for the third game was unbearable. My roommate and I played the fan translated GBA 3-1 case to satiate our need for more.

Sorry, I don't buy that. The animation quality is completely different between characters. For example, Franziska transitioned into her HD sprites flawlessly, while Maya has most of her animation frames cut.
There's also the possibility that they lost some of the concept art.

I can deal with the worse animations, but the deal-breaker for me would be if they messed up the music again (i.e. Using the GBA tracks and removing Pearl's theme).

There's also the possibility that they lost some of the concept art.

That doesn't make sense either. If that's the case, then a lot of animations would be missing those "key frames" you mentioned.

I think that the people who did the HD Trilogy were simply lazy. I mean, given the overall quality of the port, it's not a rash assumption to make.

Top Bottom