• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Address the Sess - Machinima/MS YT Scandal with Leaker, TotalBiscuit, J Schreier

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Thanks for this. So he's in a better position, just elbow to elbow with his past employer. Not bad, but at least he created a better place that gamers can get honest news from. But what was the change that happened at CBS?

CBS had no ownership of Gamespot when Gerstmann was fired. New owners, new management, a one on one conversation about what happened and why it wouldn't again, and the reality that Whiskey Media was not going to continue to exist to operate Giant Bomb. All in all, CBS/Gamespot was the best option for their site.

VariantX

Lol. When he spoke of EA, he referred them as "we", so no doubt he feels pretty close to the company and has close business connections.

On a side note, liking the discussion from TotalBiscuit and Jason.

Probably because they're actually on topic

Occam

The stream just broke off for me, and I think it's a good time to stop anyway- this is going nowhere.
Sessler appears to have trouble comprehending the issue at hand (non-disclosure).

where almost done... NOOOOOOoooooo stay with me soldier!

haha. I won't take off the video, I'm still hoping they finally GET TO THE POINT, but that last comment by Adam cemented in my mind what was before a tepid opinion of him. Which is sad, if you had asked me a year ago I would have said that he was the most respected games journalist of all.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
The stream just broke off for me, and I think it's a good time to stop anyway- this is going nowhere.
Sessler appears to have trouble comprehending the issue at hand (non-disclosure).

Sessler has trouble comprehending pretty much everything I've ever heard him discuss. I haven't ever understood why people respected and liked the guy, other than "He's that guy who talks games on teevee"

nib95

Banned
The EA guy must be feeling the burn lol. Imagine that whole BF4 YouTube event, and the non disclosure stuff was his idea lol.

ironcreed

Banned
TB: "many youtubers may turn out to be less reputable than IGN type sites" -paraphased

It's no surprise when you think about it. The viewer perception of these Youtube channels as being more of a trustworthy user feedback source is viewed as a goldmine of marketing potential. Hence, the non-disclosure clause. They want to market their wares through these channels without that user-friendly perception being altered by the knowledge of them paying for the positive coverage of their products.

Sessler sucks at BF4

Somehow that's more on topic than other things Sessler has said thus far

Also stream broke for me :(

But erik was going to let me know there is no PR conspiracy at all

Sessler has trouble comprehending pretty much everything I've ever heard him discuss. I haven't ever understood why people respected and liked the guy, other than "He's that guy who talks games on teevee"

He seems to have a tenuous grasp on these talking points. I think he's in over his head here.

NoPiece

Hey officer, I know there is a dead body in my car, but neither of us are lawyers, so who do you think will win the superbowl? Go Seahawks!

Tsundere

Banned
Sessler's reaction everytime TB or Jason bring up Microsoft/Machinima in a bad light:
sesslerknqaz.gif

Thanks for this. So he's in a better position, just elbow to elbow with his past employer. Not bad, but at least he created a better place that gamers can get honest news from. But what was the change that happened at CBS?

New execs, mainly. The Wikipedia link is a lot more thorough than I am (and I'm basically using it as a source for the details I don't remember very well!) but basically Gerstmann put a lot of the blame on the management team running Gamespot/CNET at the time for not knowing how to deal properly with game publishers. In other words, the firewall between marketing and editorial Jason's talking about on the livestream? The old management didn't respect the firewall. When Gerstmann came on board (with the rest of Giant Bomb), part of the deal was that he would retain much more control over the editorial operations of the site (I forget what his new title was but he had a pretty good one at CBSi). John Davison probably also had something to do with it, as his stewardship at 1UP and GamePro gave him a much better reputation when it comes to stuff like how to manage angry publishers.

nib95

Banned
BULLSHIT.

That's not a fair shake. It's a controlled environment where the game often runs better than it does in ordinary conditions and circumstances. In the case of BF4, the damn game was absolutely broken outside of that press event.

Schrade

People doing hangouts or Skype calls for shows like this need to prepare for the fucking show and do the following:

1) Use a computer HARD WIRED to your net connection.
2) Use a fucking real mic so we can hear you and not the room echo. Hell, you can buy a $10.00 Logitech mic for this and it'll sound WAY better.
3) Adjust your mic levels properly. No popping, no extreme quiet.. etc.

So frustrating :p

tsumineko

hahaha

Sessler talking about how fun the travel events are to places like Hawaii to preview games.
Jason saying they don't accept those perks from publishers.

nib95

Banned
Sessler on worrying about how much his back would hurt flying back in Economy class. Lol wut. I'm a pretty wealthy guy and even I'm not that entitled. Economy class is perfectly comfortable thanks.

On a side note, it's pretty awesome Kotaku don't accept any of those things. I didn't even realise. Respect +100.

"Look, I want to dispel the conspiracy theory that there's this great weight of manipulation coming from me and my counterparts in PR"

iDBpyDbAUiMK9.jpg

"We don't have a budget"

I've watched the Wire. The guy who handles the money hand-off doesn't handle the drugs hand-off. I can also discuss the elasticity of demand if you want.

Eric's so full of shit.

"No, all that special treatment isn't meant to bias you it's just meant to make your review more fair!"

You can only focus on Battlefield in Sweden. Couldn't possibly do it elsewhere at all

Oh and BF5 PR event is going to be held in Hawaii for focus and stuff

ironcreed

Banned
BULLSHIT.

That's not a fair shake. It's a controlled environment where the game often runs better than it does in ordinary conditions and circumstances. In the case of BF4, the damn game was absolutely broken outside of that press event.

PR Guru @ buzzspin

People doing hangouts or Skype calls for shows like this need to prepare for the fucking show and do the following:

2) Use a fucking real mic so we can hear you and not the room echo. Hell, you can buy a $10.00 Logitech mic for this and it'll sound WAY better.

they sound fine.

biRdy

Most of the special guests are pulled in just a few hours before the start of each show, this isn't a cnn or fox interview lol

Oidisco

He seems to have a tenuous grasp on these talking points. I think he's in over his head here.

It sounds like he went into this panel having very little knowledge of the actual subject. Like he's simply trying to educate himself rather than facilitate a proper discussion of the topic.

It sounds like he went into this panel having very little knowledge of the actual subject. Like he's simply trying to educate himself rather than facilitate a proper discussion of the topic.

Which is a no-win situation when you're acting as a moderator. This whole thing seems poorly thought out.

UberTag

BULLSHIT.

If I was reviewing games in this industry, I would forcibly withhold any review on a game's online component until it was actually in the wild (post-release).

Would this mean I wouldn't be reviewing TitanFall until after its release date? Yep. So sad but that's why I can still write preview articles.

cfresh

Neo Member
Jason has my respect...and TB, even though I don't really like his personality.

Sessler's credibility went down the toilet.

Top Bottom