• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agent Whiskers "Stage 2: The Path Untaken" - Free download codes for GAF Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I prefer just the sketch image to be honest. It has a more unique feel.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
We were trying to give off this feeling that you're on a video game-esque adventure while hearing the album and I think Retro nailed it.

VariantX04

Seriously? It's out almost everywhere else, what gives? I checked with CDBaby and Zune was included in the distribution plan. Let's hope it's out this week.

Retro

Forgot to include the giant list of sword drawings I sent to Whiskers so he could decide which style / drawing he wanted. Ended up with the third from the left in the first image;

WYlym.jpg

LHpXU.jpg

Qe2qU.jpg

EzVMO.jpg

The rest are kinda large so, links instead;

http://i.imgur.com/aa1yB.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/HUn6A.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/I6qrz.jpg

http://oi53.tinypic.com/19i0h.jpg

Ether_Snake said:
I prefer just the sketch image to be honest. It has a more unique feel.

The spiral one? I wasn't happy with it because there was no sense of vertical space; they were just long ass hallways filled with scenery, whereas we wanted to have a kind of classic platformer feel that just wasn't working out.

I'll post my own story later today, but the stage concepts for Contagion, Rescue Me and Retribution needed large vertical spaces that wouldn't have been possible (I tried 'breaking' through the spirals in one concept sketch and it made everything look horribly cluttered).

thatbox

Banned
Just listened to it on Bandcamp, and I'm really impressed. It has a very different feel from your first album, and I think you absolutely nailed the sense of progression you get from playing a game. Can't really afford to pick it up right now, but I'll definitely be streaming this again. Well done!

VariantX04

Looking into playing live shows and I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm not sure how I would go about doing that. Only idea I have is playing on a MIDI keyboard as the rest of the track plays off my MacBook. Anyone with experience playing live electronic shows have any suggestions?

Retro

Long post Incoming.
TL:DR - "The crazy game storyline Retro put together while listening to "Stage 2: The Path Untaken."

The vision I had for the game inspired by "The Path Untaken" is set in an anachronistic setting I've been tinkering with for a few months; it's mostly a mix of tribal Stone-and-Bronze Age cultures with magical/mechanical technology laid over it (I call it "Stonepunk"). It's semi-futuristic in that there are modern concepts like biological warfare, firearms, machinery, vehicles etc., but the culture is rooted in pre-civilization motifs (Hyborean Steampunk, I guess?).

It was definitely a 2-D sidescroller though, without a doubt. After the first level, the player acquires a sentient helper who scans each level and gives the player on-the-fly advice, directions, and tips (preferably in a completely out-of-place British accent
2qir78h.jpg
). This is important because the levels often have rapidly changing situations that require quick reactions and having somebody explain things to you is essential... and the gimmick offers some interesting play in later levels.

Track 01
Awaken (A Paradise in Ruins)
The game begins with the player character, a female protagonist, awakening inside a stone sarcophagus/cryogenic chamber inside a massive vertical room. A warrioress from a lost age, she suddenly springs to life when part of her essence calls out to her. Weak from centuries in sleep, she slowly makes her way up the statue-lined shaft and into the ruins of her lost civilization, seeing the empire she once fought for and swore to defend turned to ruin. The obstacles are mostly environmental, with a few scavenger creatures and such to fight.

At the end of the level, she stumbles upon an entryway guarded by a powerful golem/robot sentry, but manages to defeat the being when she finds her equipment (namely her sword, huge stone energy pistols and her talking, 'enchanted' (read: computerized) armor) in a nearby sepulchre after being thrown into it by the boss.

Very somber and moody, like someone picking their way hopelessly through echoing memories that have turned to dust, looking for something they can't quite identify.

Track 02
Contagion (A Dance with Death)
Following the cry of her soul inside, she finds a hidden clean room, laboratory and the reason behind her awakening; someone found her resting place and drained part of her power to create a powerful spell / biological weapon.

The player is treated to a brief (playable) flashback where they see the reason for the Warrioress' slumber; she once used her powers to wipe out an entire enemy civilization single-handedly. However, in the process of doing so, she killed her lover (who had hidden his ancestry from her). This civilization-destroying part of her soul is basically the last remnants of her lover's spirit (I envisioned it as being a sort of 'echo' of him, like a ghost) and someone (I never did create a proper villain) has taken this part of her and used it to replicate the effects of her magic. At the end of the stage she climbs onto an elevator and is immediately attacked by another golem; this one fast and capable of flight though.

This track sounds like she just got her ass-kicking skills back up to speed and is flipping, shooting, stomping and tearing apart a sterile environment filled with strange pumps, devices, and enemies who actually put up a fight.

Track 03
Rescue Me (Deep Sleep)
Reaching the top of the shaft, the heroine slips through a secret door and enters the civilization that replaced her own; a paradise of lush gardens, bubbling pools and glass spires reaching towards the heavens. She is determined to not only stop the spread of her stolen magic, but bring down those responsible without repeating her past mistakes.

Unfortunately, her enemies are aware of her return and have sent their armed forces into the city to try and stop her. Your enchanted/computerized armor helps you spot traps, solve puzzles, and hack into various passages, access tunnels and shafts to bypass closed routes through the city.

I envisioned the boss being a Commander (riding in some kind of advanced armor) who hangs out inside a large atrium. He'd keep calling in tons of fodder foot-soldiers for you to quickly dispatch in alarmingly high numbers (like Kill Bill's Crazy 88s scene) while he takes pot shots from the balcony to keep you from reaching him.

The smooth tones in this track remind me of announcement chimes (like those you might hear in an airport), so I think of this huge city with lots of glass and greenery, but otherwise empty (like a terminal at night or between flights). Lots of armed soldiers setting up barricades and such.

Track 04
Retribution (Feeling Alive, Battle Scars and All)
The heroine tracks down those who have stolen her memory to a huge armory on the outskirts of the city. This is a huge building full of vehicles, artillery-like weapons and tons of soldiers.

At the 2:28 mark, the track flattens out a bit; this lead me to come up with the boss 'event' that makes up the last half of the stage; the troops start to roll out of the Armory and the player chases them down (jumping from vehicle to vehicle, of course). The boss is another commander in battle armor, but the fight is on a high-speed hovering craft and he has air support and lots of vehicular shenanigans (like flying upside down) to make the flight interesting.

At the end of the level, the heroine recovers the original fragment of her soul, finds redemption from her memory, and sets off to stop <insert villain here.>

The alarm-like tones that kick off this track and carry on throughout makes me think of a base under siege while the grungy synth bits make me think of some heavily mechanized, industrial complex.

Track 05
Downpour (Finding Love in a Post-Apocalyptic World)
I saw this stage as being very much like the first; more environmental than combat-oriented, with a healthy dose of stealth included. The player is trying to make their way through more ruins to the enemy fortress, but the constant downpour is flooding passages, washing the ruins away as you try to cross over them, and generally making things messy. There are also sentry drones everywhere that you have to avoid by sticking to the (quickly flooding) sewers or moving between structures when they pass overhead.

Everything about this track makes me think of exploring a dark, rain-soaked city by night. Moody lighting, constant rain, and the last stage's recovery of the lover's spirit all sort of play up this "Determined, lonely path" sound.

Track X
No Track Given
At this point, I envisioned a stage that doesn't have a corresponding track on the album; a large, luxurious enemy fortress with marble columns, rich decoration and tons of interesting rooms to destroy. You've stopped your magic from being abused, made peace with a destructive part of your past, and are basically on the warpath to fuck up those who would abuse your powers. This stage is more or less the 'final level' (even though there's a level after it) where you face down The Villain and kick his ass for thinking he could steal your voodoo and such...
2qir78h.jpg

Track 06
The Getaway (Just Drive)
Having finished off The Villain, all hell breaks loose; enemy troops swarm his quarters, explosions start happening... usual "You beat the game, but oh wait, now you have to escape!" type stuff. You fight your way through a crowded terminal (people are rioting and knocking shit over and pulling you down into the crowd where you're injured) and jump onto a moving train.

Because everything is happening so quickly, your armor can't scan the level in advance, so he's warning you of dangers and telling you what to do RIGHT as you've got to do it ("Jump now!", "Dropkick here!"). Through the level, you fight your way towards the front of the train, leap off it and onto a boat when things get too dicey, leap onto a series of bridges when that gets too dicey, and finally end up back on the train (after wrecking the boat) and riding it to safety.

It's crazy Getaway music and I saw the player basically moving at a full sprint on high-speed transportation as society crumbles and heaves around her. The Villain's lair doesn't explode, but his reign does and everything descends into anarchy with you in the middle of it and squarely to blame. His underlings are seizing power and are all hunting you down; I imagine at various points in the level you get to fight a few of them.

Track 07
The Final Chapter (The Godless King of No Man's Land Awaits)
This felt like perfect ending music to me. In said ending, you reach the edge of the Villain's civilization, built over the ashes of your own, and into the lands of those The Villain wished to dispose of with your powers. You find it's actually a splinter of the civilization you had wiped out in the earlier flashback and that the descendants of the heroine's lover are alive and well and have kept your memory evergreen. So you basically step into a civilization that reveres you as a hero and is ready to kick the asses you just got done kicking all over again. Sets up either a "Hope for the world / Redemption" ending or sequel... heh.

... Yep, it sucks.
2qir78h.jpg

I bought this a few days ago. I've never been huge into this type of music but I gotta say it's pretty nice. My favorite track is definitely The Final Chapter; really love the piano work, and as others have said it's such a great finale to the album.

I'm too drunk to make a huge ass review, maybe later lol. But yea GAFers, support one of our own and buy this.

VariantX04

Awesome post, Retro! :D I actually once considered writing down a story I see in my head while listening to it but this should suffice. :p

And thanks PD. <3 I hope more people check it out. I'm not planning on writing another album for a short while as I think this is good enough to start promoting vocally.

VariantX04

Chef Cat said:
Yes! I can't wait to buy it! You should update your website with the links to buy it. :3
Done! Links are up at the official site. I'll be expanding on it eventually but this should do for now.

VariantX04

Approaching an adorable 250 likes on Facebook. Help a brotha out and like me. I'll send you nudes if you do. <3 ;* xoxoxo

balddemon

Banned
so am i supposed to buy this?!

i want this...if there are no lyrics. are there lyrics? this seems like good getting high music

VariantX04

It's only $6 you stoner bum. Joking aside, I would definitely recommend listening to this high. And yes, no lyrics lol.

VariantX04

ApeDonkey's review is up!

ApeDonkey said:
Agent Whiskers is back with his sophmore release. Even before reading the biography for this album it’s clear what is driving this album. Perhaps it’s abundantly clear to me because I am a bit of a gamer. The underlying tone of each track are video games. It reads like a soundtrack to an RPG with sprinkles of old 64 bit games. This time around it feels a lot more fun and specialized. His previous instrumental release was driven to be ambient keys to keep your ears occupied without too much distraction. It’s clear he changed his direction slightly and it works. I thoroughly enjoyed the flow of “Downpour (Finding Love in a Post-Apocalyptic World)“. The rain plus thunder added a nice feel to it. A majority of these tracks could easily be heard as you slay virtual dragons and cast spells as you explore and conquer levels. It’s a solid follow-up to his debut.

VariantX04

Well a bit of good news. Rolling Stone Middle East replied saying they've done a review for my album that will be available online soon. They're still deciding which reviews will go to print though.

VariantX04

Snippet of a review I just got:

Agent Whiskers is a name to remember. 'Stage 2: The Path Untaken' is one of the most intriguing and exquisite albums to come out this year. This is one piece of music that you will want to give a listen to. You can tell all of your friends you knew about Agent Whiskers before he took over the music world as we know it.
Well shucks...

zeeaykay

Hey man, just thought I'd let you know that I think the album's great! I find myself coming back to listening to it a lot. I'm not sure there's a lot you can do, but I'll do my part when it comes to word of mouth. It's always cool being the guy who can recommend great indie music.

Otherwise, finding as many places you can to submit your album to review is what I'd recommend. Anything from small blogs to popular websites, every bit of exposure works. I'm sure if you submitted this to reddit/r/gaming and/or reddit/r/music it would get a lot of upvotes!

VariantX04

Thanks man! Glad you're enjoying it. And yes, that's exactly what I'm looking for. As soon as i'm back home from work this Monday, i'm getting on it. Much appreciated!

More suggestions/impressions would be lovely.

VariantX04

Snippet from another review:

Agent Whiskers is a talented electronic wizard with very solid songwriting skills.  As an instrumental album, the electronic adornments soar to new heights with various percussion, sounds, and ambient bliss.
I'm like Gandalf up in this bitch.

Will buy once amazon gets their shit together, pretty sure I know the answer, but if I use amazon mp3 credit you still get your full payout right?

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Damn I just listened to the first few tracks, love it.

Gonna buy when I get home from work, gotta support a fellow gaffer and musician.

VariantX04

GodfatherX said:
Will buy once amazon gets their shit together, pretty sure I know the answer, but if I use amazon mp3 credit you still get your full payout right?
Yes, absolutely. Please stop by with impressions I'd love to know what you think.

I'm on web app GAF, not sure how I'm supposed to multi-quote. :| Wrath, no doubt, home slice. And thanks Ermac! Tell me what you think after you hear the whole album. I wrote it as a complete, cohesive piece.

VariantX04

Another review:

Agent Whiskers certainly has a way with using melodic hooks to evoke a mood and Stage 2: The Path Untaken manages to present each song as its own chapter in the story.   Although most listeners depend upon and prefer lyrics to provide the narrative, gamers and fantasy buffs will undoubtedly gravitate towards this release.  Considering that it ends with ominous bells and an explosion, could a sequel be in the works?  Only Agent Whiskers knows for sure.

VariantX04

Sent out my album to several more publications. I'm hoping this upcoming Rolling Stone review and the Bahrain radio promo will land me a gig somewhere. I've played many shows over the years with several bands but this will be something wholly different.

VariantX04

Okay, I'm going to assume most people don't want to pay for it so the next five posters get a free copy of the album.

EDIT: Better yet, I'll just randomly add a Bandcamp download code every time one of them gets redeemed starting now.

4cg9-bwqk

Redeem here

AgentWhiskers said:
Okay, I'm going to assume most people don't want to pay for it so the next five posters get a free copy of the album.

EDIT: Better yet, I'll just randomly add a Bandcamp download code every time one of them gets redeemed starting now.

4cg9-bwqk

Redeem here

I redeemed the code, not sure if it was one use or not. I clicked the thread because I bought your previous album and really enjoyed it. I will buy through iTunes when I get paid this week.

Also I absolutely love this image, and the album art:

awlogo-2.png

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but does that use the default Lion wallpaper of a galaxy?

VariantX04

Neverender said:
Not sure if it has been mentioned, but does that use the default Lion wallpaper of a galaxy?
I really wish I knew haha. A friend of mine designed it for me. I just gave him the idea and he went with it.

Thanks guys! Tell me what you think. :D

New code: 99xs-j9wd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom