• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agent Whiskers "Stage 2: The Path Untaken" - Free download codes for GAF Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Making some updates to the official site in the coming weeks. Make it a bit more robust and feature-friendly.

VariantX04

TripleW.me review coming today! Will post as soon as it arrives.

Review is up:

Triplew said:
Taking off where Abstarct Forms of Solace stopped, Agent Whiskers’ Stage 2 plays on different tones and textures which are still inspired by the atmospheric aesthetic of the first album.

Stage 2 (The Path Untaken), and through its seven tracks, builds up carefully to create a largely tense musical cascade starting with opener “Awaken (A Paradise in Ruins)” – a downtempo piece which rests on a quasi-classical backdrop and sets the stage for the rest of tracks to ‘open up’.

There is a certain ‘video-game’-y vibe to the album – which shines through layering of vintage synths sounds and midi-inspired sequences. Thankfully, this vibe never veers on cheesy, as the artist shows a respectable amount of restraint in the production of these tracks (example: “Retribution: Feeling Alive, Battle Scars and All”).

What’s great about Stage 2 is that it sounds like an intentional sequel to a first part, which is obviously leading to a final part (and we might be wrong!). There is a sense of urgency and calculation created in a very thorough and detailed atmosphere, which as an indication of the Agent Whiskers’ many talents.

VariantX04

And here's a full review of something I posted earlier:

Jason Randall Smith said:
As a musician based in Saudi Arabia, Essam Alghamdi lives an unconventional life via artistic expression in a culture where such actions tend to be frowned upon.  Performing in several rock and metal bands, he seems to have found his niche within the emotive textures of electronic music.  Recording as Agent Whiskers, Stage 2: The Path Untaken is a follow-up to his debut album that was only released three months ago.  Closely linked to his first album, it attempts to tell a story without words, using only the song titles to give listeners clues as to plot development and mood swings.  The cover art gives us some idea of the journey that lies ahead:  footprints in the snow, a sword in the ground, and a faint outline of a castle off in the distance.

“Awaken (A Paradise in Ruins)” begins the adventure, placing the listener smack dab in unfamiliar surroundings with only the instrumentation guiding their way.  Wistful strings and solemn piano chords serve as cloud cover for a rhythm in constant flux.  Its drum programming shifts from a steady backbeat to skittering blasts that feel like rapid fire gunshots.  As the song’s intensity increases, one gets the sense that there’s danger ahead.  “Contagion (A Dance With Death)” confirms those suspicions as heavy synthesizer riffs suffocate the atmosphere, marching in time to a mid-tempo techno thump.  Despite the gentle bells that provide a hopeful melody, the drums turn polyrhythmic and aggressive, suggesting an inevitable fight to the finish.

“Rescue Me (Deep Sleep)” offers shelter from the prior confrontation, its electric bass tones slapped over canned snares and poignant woodwind monologues.  A foreboding acidic tone rises from the surface as a reminder of dangers seen and unseen, but doesn’t last for long.  “Retribution (Feeling Alive, Battle Scars and All)” continues the recovery process with thoughts of retaliation weighing heavy on the mind.  An analog synth theme loops upon itself and grows more menacing with each layer of distortion that rests upon it.  The beat is stripped down and stoic, resembling a warrior’s discipline.  It all begins to feel like a role-playing game that you’re starring in and “Retribution” is the soundtrack for your eventual comeback.

“Downpour (Finding Love in a Post-Apocalyptic World)” finds balance between beauty and despair.  As the rain comes down, low warbling tones hover over tense drums and eerie keyboard accompaniment.  A serene melody works its way through the dreary orchestration and makes itself at home, which ultimately changes the direction and mood of the composition.  “The Getaway (Just Drive)” is perhaps the best selection of them all.  Picking up on new wave influences, the melodies of the keys oscillate over a chugging rhythm accentuated with occasional bongos and cymbal crashes.  This one would be a perfect inclusion for a racing video game and even sneaks in some sound effects halfway through to prove the point.

“The Final Chapter (The Godless King of No Man’s Land Awaits)” concludes the album, but not necessarily the story.  Synthetic snares and melodic chimes punctuate the culmination of events and the featured piano melody is cautiously optimistic, but wears a hint of doubt.  Agent Whiskers certainly has a way with using melodic hooks to evoke a mood and Stage 2: The Path Untaken manages to present each song as its own chapter in the story.   Although most listeners depend upon and prefer lyrics to provide the narrative, gamers and fantasy buffs will undoubtedly gravitate towards this release.  Considering that it ends with ominous bells and an explosion, could a sequel be in the works?  Only Agent Whiskers knows for sure.

VariantX04

Thanks so much, Cyan! Your support truly means a lot.

And for my sake, let's hope you're right, fuzzery. :p Thanks!

VariantX04

Another full-length review:

Melissa Nastasi said:
Agent Whiskers’ name is enough to lure you in already. An electronic based musician hailing from the eastern region of Saudi Arabia, Agent Whiskers is ready to show audiences all around the world what he has to offer. We are certainly in for a treat. Recently releasing his sophomore effort, Stage 2: The Path Untaken, this album will immediately grab your attention.

Opening with the stellar track “Awaken (A Paradise in Ruins),” the song draws you in and gets inside of your head. With soft bongos, and melodic drum beats, the room is filled with a sound that is beautiful and harmonious. The standout element of this track is the smooth and brilliant piano/keyboard that will put you in a trance. Agent Whiskers certainly knows how to combine these elements to create the perfect piece, and we’re only one song in.

“Contagion (A Dance with Death),” is up next and provides a haunting yet enchanting tone to the album. Once again the keyboard becomes very prominent as does the use of synths. Slight chiming bells come in and out of the song, creating a trance you will not easily get out of.

Up next is “Rescue Me (Deep Sleep),” that continues the vibe of being slightly eerie in the best possible way. The songs on this album not only provide the feel of a video game-esque theme at certain points, but listening to it almost makes you seem like you are in a dream. A dream you never want to end quite frankly.

The most perfect example of a video game reminder comes in the form of the next track, “Retribution (Feeling Alive, Battle Scars and All).” Perfectly orchestrated, Agent Whiskers has certainly accomplished what he has set out to do. This song would be an easy hit in a New York City hotspot or lounge, perfect for DJs to play. The synths throughout are spot on, and the breakdown of electronic drums is fantastic.

“Downpour (Find Love in a Post-Apocalyptic World),” slithers its way onto the album and will immediately send chills down your spine. The chill song can be described in one word: Gorgeous. The dreamy mix of slight strings with a faint keyboard and synths is enough to win you over if you had any doubts about this record. It also has the appropriate ending with a small thunder sound, truly capturing the “downpour.”

As it is time to get away from the rain, next up is “Getaway (Just Drive),” which seems like just that. The perfect song for any night time travel is now in your hands. The listener will be able to imagine themselves weaving in and out of lanes, getting away from trouble, but smoothly. Just like the song. Sleek and unpredictable, it manages to set an even more harmonious tone for the collection of songs.

Closing out the record is “The Final Chapter (The Godless King of No Man's Land Awaits),” which starts off as a solo piano, setting the platform for what is about to come. Slight drums start to accompany from behind, but the keys are what remain to be the most prominent factor in the track. The piano is beautifully played and the listener can tell that every note was carefully chosen. This is the perfect ending to this album.

Agent Whiskers is a name to remember. Stage 2: The Path Untaken, is one of the most intriguing and exquisite albums to come out this year. This is one piece of music that you will want to give a listen to. You can tell all of your friends you knew about Agent Whiskers before he took over the music world as we know it.

VariantX04

More reviews coming in. Turns out my Rolling Stone ME Magazine review won't be up until late November with the new issue.

VariantX04

Chef Cat said:
Downloaded it, but haven't gotten around to listening to it! >_< Been super busy with school.
No hurry. :) But don't forget to tell me what you think once you do check it out.

Retro

/sigh... every time I look at the album artwork I can only see how bad I fucked up the placement of the sword in comparison to the tracks. In an effort to keep things balanced as usual, I completely botched things up; the sword and placement of the footprints makes the sword look like it's 2 feet long. I need to stop being so concerned about the placement of elements and keep my head screwed on.

Chef Cat said:
Downloaded it, but haven't gotten around to listening to it! >_< Been super busy with school.

Dude. This is perfect studying/working music; no lyrics, solid beats, nice pace. With the exception of a few slower tracks (which are still awesome) the album is mostly pumped up electronic awesomeness.

And Abstract Forms (Whisker's first album) is fantastic too, a bit mellower in comparison but still damn fine thinkin' music.

Mikeside

Oh hey! I was just listening to your first album again today! Good stuff :)

Have used a code to get the second one - will buy a copy of it next week when I get paid - thanks very much fella!

VariantX04

Retro said:
/sigh... every time I look at the album artwork I can only see how bad I fucked up the placement of the sword in comparison to the tracks. In an effort to keep things balanced as usual, I completely botched things up; the sword and placement of the footprints makes the sword look like it's 2 feet long. I need to stop being so concerned about the placement of elements and keep my head screwed on.
You're too hard on yourself lol. It's perfect!

IamMikeside said:
Oh hey! I was just listening to your first album again today! Good stuff :)

Have used a code to get the second one - will buy a copy of it next week when I get paid - thanks very much fella!
Hey man! Tell me what you think. :D

VariantX04

Another review:

Matthew Forss said:
Agent Whiskers is an electronic legend based in Saudi Arabia.  As a master of electronica, Agent Whiskers utilizes many types of aural devices to enrapture listeners—drums, loops, ambient soundscapes, and unearthly beeps and blurbs.  Stage 2: The Path Untaken is a seven-track release that romps effortlessly through the world of electronica.

“Awaken (A Paradise in Ruins)” opens with an electric bell sound before a trippy beat with light percussion and electronic twinkles takes over.  Suddenly, a piano adds to the embellishments with sparkly electronica and a smooth, trip-hop melody free from guitar, strings, and horns.  The thriller or suspense-like soundtrack qualities of the track showcase the musical inventiveness of Agent Whiskers.  The middle of the song features a bit of violin and a single, vocal restatement of the track’s title.  The trip-hop beat contains a bit of choral singing in the background during the latter half of the track.  This is trip-hop and electronica at its finest.

“Contagion (A Dance With Death)” begins with a dance-like beat, electronic percussion, and piercing keyboard notes that cut in-and-out.  The dampened percussion sounds imitate a muted buzz-saw, as twinkling, metallic noises fill any musical void.  The drum-kit percussion is relatively thin, but the electronic overtones and xylophone-like notes add a layer of texture amidst a fast-paced beat.  This is more trance related than dance or trip hop.  The track is completely void of vocals.

“Rescue Me (Deep Sleep)” starts with a few whooshing sounds and a tinny percussion beat with a few vibraphone and xylophone-type twinkles.  The electronic washes are deeper than anything heard before.  The echoing drum-kit is a fast-paced trip hop beat that sounds a bit too amateurish. Specifically, the percussion takes away from the electronic tones, noises, and washes that make the track enjoyable.  “Retribution (Feeling Alive, Battle Scars and All)” begins like an early video or computer game with dribbling, electronic beeps.  However, the characteristic sound is backed by drum-kit percussion and a noisy, electronic wash.  The varying tonal structures of the electronic noises and video game-like sounds reach a frenzied point that ends with total quiet. However, a buzz sound and cascading wash of electronic noise begins again with a slightly, dance-driven melody typical of a modern dance club.

“Downpour (Finding Love in a Post-Apocalyptic World)” begins with rain sounds and dog sounds.  An electronic wind merges with a trip-hop beat and electronic pings and washes that are as majestic as the Himalayas.  The trip-hop beat speeds up with an electronic and jangly melody perfect for any suspense film or dance session.  The electronic bells enter the picture near the end of the song, along with electronic washes and a faster trip hop beat.  “The Getaway (Just Drive)” marks a slightly divergent path for the album, but it is still in this galaxy. The techno base and dance foundation lead the way with tinny percussion and an electronic voice that matches the beat repeating the phrase: “I’m upside down.”   The speed of the rhythm varies, as well as the amount of electronic embellishments.  An electronic flute and electronic laser-like additions create an aural ecstasy with tons of beeps, blips, and blurbs.  This is the most complex track, due to its heavy use of electronic sound and dance-laden song structure.
Agent Whiskers is a talented electronic wizard with very solid songwriting skills.  As an instrumental album, the electronic adornments soar to new heights with various percussion, sounds, and ambient bliss.  The downsides only pertained to the tinny percussion on a few tracks. Still, the exciting sounds of electronica were well-developed and energetic enough for fans of trance, dance, and avante-garde.

Cyan

Banned
Directed a few friends to your album via Facebook.

You thought about getting this up on Spotify? Not sure exactly how much more exposure it'd get you, but it couldn't hurt.

VariantX04

Thanks again, man. How do I go about doing that, though? Last I remember Spotify only worked in several countries and Saudi Arabia isn't (and likely won't ever be) one of them.

Cyan

Banned
AgentWhiskers said:
Thanks again, man. How do I go about doing that, though? Last I remember Spotify only worked in several countries and Saudi Arabia isn't (and likely won't ever be) one of them.
Yeah, it doesn't work everywhere, but from their website it seems like they'll accept music from any country. Some more info here.

VariantX04

Awesome! I'll look into that as soon as I'm home a few hours from now. You've been a great help, Cyan. Much obliged.

VariantX04

So it turns out CDBaby already sent out my music to Spotify along with Amazon, iTunes and other digital distribution services! Didn't know that Spotify was included all along lol. If anyone could check if the album is available there that would be great!

AgentWhiskers said:
So it turns out CDBaby already sent out my music to Spotify along with Amazon, iTunes and other digital distribution services! Didn't know that Spotify was included all along lol. If anyone could check if the album is available there that would be great!

First Album is on there, second is not. Love your music by the way.

Edit- my mistake, neither of them are on.

VariantX04

hawkshockey11 said:
First Album is on there, second is not. Love your music by the way.

Edit- my mistake, neither of them are on.
Well damn. :/ Here's hoping they show up soon. Thanks!

Tenck said:
Took the last code. Will give impressions later in the day after I wake up and do everything for the day :p
Please do! Thanks.

VariantX04

I have a bunch of new stuff written. Considering making a third album in the same universe sound-wise as the first two and lazily call it a trilogy. Then I could start from scratch with some new VSTs and plug-ins to change it up a little bit.

Zatôichi

Neo Member
Just bought it on itunes, I'll post some feedback later after I listened to it. I did enjoy your firts album btw, hope this one will be as good or better.

VariantX04

Zatôichi said:
Just bought it on itunes, I'll post some feedback later after I listened to it. I did enjoy your firts album btw, hope this one will be as good or better.
Thanks! Tell me what you think. :)

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Hey man, i just bought the album. Didn't want to beg for a code.

Really good ish.

Apath

So I downloaded this a couple weeks ago, added it to my music library, and pretty much forgot about it. A few days ago I was playing SC2 while listening to my entire library on shuffle when a song came up that I really liked, but I didn't recognize it at all. So I minimized, pulled it up, and it happened to be a song from your album. So yeah, awesome work! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom