• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S4 |OT| Ghost Riders in the Skye - Tuesdays 10/9c

Carbonox

giphy.gif

ma boy ward is back

One of the best comic book TV show eps ever.

LotusHD

Banned
Because those characters were terrible top to bottom.

Couldn't tell Fitz and Simmons apart before Ward's heel turn
Skye/Daisy did not matter
May was even more stoic and unremarkable
Coulson was clown shoes
Tripp was fine though

Most of Season 1, is trash

Oh yea, remember when the show kept repeatedly telling us over and over how important she was before she got her powers lol

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Nah.
Well, you must not have been paying much attention. I mean, Simmons was a bit bland, but Fitz had that weird pining for Skye thing. He was way more awkward.
They were the viewpoint character and had episodes where she was the main focus. How did she not matter?
She was stoic because she had issues. Also what's wrong with stoic? A stoic character is not inherently bad. Her development in the series was based of her coming back out after retreating internally. It was obvious that she had something that made her quit and they moved that plot forward.
Coulson was clown shoes
What does that even mean?
Tripp was fine though
Tripp was a catchphrase machine and had the least character. He was kind of a nothing character.
Nah.

LionPride

Banned
Oh yea, remember when the show kept repeatedly telling us over and over how important she was before she got her powers lol

And that whole TAHITI shit was bad, I was so happy when it got resolved and led to me caring about Skye/Daisy in the process

Nah.

Well, you must not have been paying much attention. I mean, Simmons was a bit bland, but Fitz had that weird pining for Skye thing. He was way more awkward.

They were the viewpoint character and had episodes where she was the main focus. How did she not matter?

She was stoic because she had issues. Also what's wrong with stoic? A stoic character is not inherently bad. Her development in the series was based of her coming back out after retreating internally. It was obvious that she had something that made her quit and they moved that plot forward.

What does that even mean?

Tripp was a catchphrase machine and had the least character. He was kind of a nothing character.

Nah.
We were told Skye mattered but not why she mattered. All we had was "She hack gud"
I paid hella attention, point a gun to my head and I could not have told you the difference between Fitz and Simmons
May was beyond stoic really, she was somehow worse than Boy Scout Ward in terms of character
Coulson wasn't shit
Tripp was the god, you are objectively wrong

Season 1 was shit until the episode that matters

Now if they bring Gravitron back...I'm here for it

LotusHD

Banned
We were told Skye mattered but not why she mattered. All we had was "She hack gud"

Yup, characters like that tend to be annoying when there's a disconnect between the show repeatedly telling you how great or special said person is, while meanwhile the audience is like "How sway"

Wow what an episode I cannot wait until April.

But if they showed Jemmas grave does that mean she'll be waking up in a coffin six feet under ground? That'd be a horrifying way of staring the next episode.

Pachimari

But when all comes to all, does anything that happens in the Framework even matter? If Ward turns up a Shield agent, Coulson an Inhuman hater and Fitz a billionaire, does that change anything in the real world?

My first impression of Skye was generic eye candy. Lived in a van but had perfect hair and makeup. Couple episodes in and she's running around in a dress. Has no abilities beyond hacking.

FitzSimmons were standard nerds with fancy tech and fancy words.

Coulson was their wisecracking leader.

Ward was bland male eye candy with a backstory we're supposed to care about.

May was almost an Asian caricature (super serious fighter).

The guest appearances (Fury, Sif) fell flat.

But when all comes to all, does anything that happens in the Framework even matter? If Ward turns up a Shield agent, Coulson an Inhuman hater and Fitz a billionaire, does that change anything in the real world?

Well, they can't die in there. If they die in the Framework, they die in real life. So, I assume there can be other consequences.

wildfire

Banned

Revealing some hidden secret thoughts could irrevocably change relationships.

As much as I liked this episode and the LMD arc, I am not sure how i feel about a 6? episode arc of them in a virtual reality trying to discover the location of the other agents.

Pachimari

As much as I liked this episode and the LMD arc, I am not sure how i feel about a 6? episode arc of them in a virtual reality trying to discover the location of the other agents.
The possibilities are limitless. Hell, we could probably even see Robbie Reyes in another role. Even see May's inner workings with Hydra and if they can still die in there it adds weight to it all. I'm pretty hooked on this.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I wonder if they account for how people consume media these days. It's rare that I watch any TV show live anymore since I have Netflix and Hulu subscriptions. Doesn't mean people are not interested in the show, but it might appear that way if you only look at live ratings.

They do account for it. Network ratings are pretty poor across the board and they have been forced to look outside of live ratings. Granted, if they're REALLY bad, you're clearly getting canceled. And AoS has bad ratings.

That being said, it also has one of the biggest gains with DVR viewership on network television. ABC's president acknowledged it in a recent interview and spoke positively about the show's future.

A few Marvel questions. How do you move these shows forward when Netflix has gained so much ground with Jessica Jones? How do you feel about the state of Marvel on ABC?

Look, we are incredibly encouraged. Season 4 of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has been creatively the strongest season we've had yet. The episodes just keep getting better and stronger. And that's another one for us that we moved from 9 to 10 and yet even though the HUD levels are softer at 10, the live-same-day has remained the same and that's another one of our shows which regularly goes up triple digits over the seven-day period, anywhere from 100 to 110 percent.

So you see a future for S.H.I.E.L.D.?

Absolutely. I'm very bullish on S.H.I.E.L.D. and we're also really excited about our production with Marvel, ABC Studios, and IMAX, which we are working on for next fall as well.

Yes, live ratings are bad. But AoS does have other factors in play, some of which that are unique to the show, to keep in mind:

- DVR viewership
- The critical response, which seems to keep getting better
- ABC wanting a steady-enough 10 PM drama, which they have trouble with
- The chance to market a two-hour "Marvel block" in the fall with AoS and Inhumans

In the end, cross your fingers. This could end up being one of those "campaign to the network" type of shows.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Just watched it. INSANE episode. I almost can't believe how good that was. If this season is the last of AoS I hope they stick the landing because it's en route to becoming the perfect swan song.

And LMAO @ Ward. Always thought the show would jump the shark if they had him appear again, but they went and found a reasonable way to do it. Amazing.

LionPride

Banned
Season 1: Victoria Hand, Garret is the Clairvoyent, Ward is a dick, Fitz gets brain damage, Raina exists, TRIPP, TAHITI, Talbot is a dick, Deathlok kills Garret???

Season 2: Whitehall, Fitz is fucked up, Talbot is still a dick, Kree, Inhuman shit, Tripp dies, Mac is brought in, Hunter & Bobbi, Simmons is a spy, Ward kills his brother and parents, Ward falls in love with Agent 33, Reina and Skye are brought to Afterlife, Absorbing Man, No eyes dude existed, Reina is murked, The Bus is blown up, Mac and Bobbi are part of NotSHIELD, Ward is just a dick, kills Agent 33 by accident...Lincoln..., May killed Inhumans in Bahiran, ANDREW! Simmons hates Inhumans, Coulson loses his arm, Skye's dad is Hyde, Hyde has memory wiped, SIMMONS IS EATEN BY THE MONOLITH!!

Season 3: Fitz is going HAM to find Simmons, Becomes a damn spy for this woman, Daisy can open up portals, they bring Simmons back(All first episode btw), Simmons wants to go back, met and fell in love with "Will", Inhumans everywhere through Fish Oil, Rosalind is a thing, LASH DA GOAT, Lance goes HAM trying to kill Ward, Recruits May because they fucked, remember that? Wernor von Strucker, Malick, more Lincoln..., WARD MURDERS ROASLIND, NotMagneto is a villain, JOEY!, Coulson HALO Jumps through a portal and murders Ward, Hive is byke! Yo-Yo shows up, Bobbi and Hunter leave :( , Andrew is Lash forever, Lincoln and Hive/Ward die, Daisy runs off

Holy shit just finished the episode. That was one of the single greatest episodes the show has ever had.

I say it basically every week but the jump in quality this season is INSANE

Edit - Also if I was somehow a crazy rich man I would just finance Season 5 my fucking self

Quick

Banned
Just finished. Current reaction:

QhFfv.gif

OHHHHH MY GOD. AUGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I'm getting major Evangelion episodes 25-26 and End of Evangelion vibes from the Framework with everyone living alternate lives, and the base getting blown up.

And I don't know what it is about a base getting destroyed that feels to me like the closing of a chapter/era.

Nice touch with Daisy having her long hair.

Finished it a little while ago just wow Daisy pulling off the rasengan. Congrats to the writers for pulling off this arc countdown till April begins...

Do we know if the regret that is removed in the framework is based on the characters actual regret, or just AIDA assumption of what are these characters regret from watching their memories?

It makes a difference I think.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Do we know if the regret that is removed in the framework is based on the characters actual regret, or just AIDA assumption of what are these characters regret from watching their memories?

It makes a difference I think.

Probably the second. May's regret was changed manually by Radcliffe, for example.

error4041

What are guesses on who was in the car with Fitz?
Aida?
Nadeer? (not dead in the framework)
Bobbi?
Hand?

Brett's smile in the teaser video has so much smugness, it's like he knew he was coming back when/if the showrunners were telling him he isn't on the show any more.

LionPride

Banned
Aida?
Bobbi?
Hand?

Brett's smile in the teaser video has so much smugness, it's like he knew he was coming back when/if the showrunners were telling him he isn't on the show any more.

Aida/Agnes or Bobbi

S4 of SHIELD is better than every other season of every other comic book show on TV or on Netflix. I mean...This episode was a fucking 10. It was a 10 and I cannot believe how good that was.

Aida?
Bobbi?
Hand?

Maria Hill

caliph95

Coulson was clown shoes
Tripp was fine though

Daisy was insufferable and was hate so say the word but a borderline mary sue at times.
Tripp was a forgettable character in Season 1

AMUSIX

Aida?
Bobbi?
Hand?
The more I think about it, the more I believe it'll be Aida. She's already shown to have some sort of a connection to Fitz, so she could have put herself in there with him. Also, of all the people put into the Framework, he would be the biggest threat to it, so she would keep a closer eye on him that way.

mm04

Emotional FitzSimmons scenes always deliver. They have such great chemistry and the emotions seemed so real. I was pretty shook during that scene and it must've been heartwrenching for Jemma to have to stab a Fitz LMD to high heaven. Girl power was turned up to 11 and it was pretty glorious. I was waiting for Daisy to just straight up destroy one of them and she delivered. Even the bit of Maybot redemption. Please come back for another season, dammit.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I don't know where this love for Tripp is coming from. He was such a bland character. What did he add to the show that someone else wasn't already providing?

It's crazy how good this season is. I thought Ghost Rider would be the high point but nooooope. LMD just swoops in and gives us the best episode of the entire show. All the one-on-one scenes were so damn good, especially Jemma and Fitz. Goddamn at that scene. Everyone is great but Iain De Caestecker is the MVP.

anaron

Yeah I don't know where this love for Tripp is coming from. He was such a bland character. What did he add to the show that someone else wasn't already providing?
He was barely even a character. I like BJ Britt a lot but lol @ this devastation over Tripp's death

Chirotera

Banned

Tripp was a burst of personality in a show that, at that time, had very little. It's come a long ways since then.

Cuburt

There have been some episodes that had more emotional moments and bigger narrative crescendos, but I definitely can see where people are coming from saying this is the best episode of the series.

Great action. Lots of real tension. Cool special effects (for the most part). Great story pay off. Amazing scenes with Fitz and Simmons. Touching scenes with Coulson and May. Awesome tense scene between Simmons and Daisy. Lots of Chloe fan service. And a few good twists to top it all off followed by an ending that floored me. I can see why Jed Whedon wanted to direct this episode himself.

They set up a really great scenario for the final episodes. I can't wait to see how it plays out.

May in the HYDRA Triskelion from The Winter Solider gave me chills.
This was also a great Secret Invasion type storyline that was executed very satisfyingly for me.

The season has been pretty much everything I hoped the show would be from day one.

They should take a break after season 4, split the cast to various mcu show, like Quake goes to Inhuman, Coulson to netflix defender, other going to Runaway and Cloak and Dagger. Then next year after Infi ity War part 1 is out, do a final season 5 where they reunite and prepare for Infinity War part 2 event.

Then reboot the show with a new name with same cast start at season 1 again for phase 4 mcu.

Moondrop

Banned
What a fucking roll this show is on. Never fails to entertain.

The twists they can throw at is in the Framework are incalculable. They can bring back literally anyone- Bobbi, Hunter, Raina, Garrett, Tripp, Ros, Malick, Malick's hot daughter...

I'm expecting the reveal of Fitz's lady to be more mind-blowing than simply Aida.
FitzSimmons4life

Top Bottom