• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All New Skyward Sword Info from GI + Nintendo

giggas

JimWood27 said:
All of this new information has completely changed those two feelings into Skyward Sword being the largest Zelda yet and quite possibly the best. It is kind of impossible to beat the review scores for OoT and the Galaxy games but this might have a shot.

I would love to be proven wrong, but I think this still might end up being one of the lowest rated main line Zelda games. I feel like the enthusiastic press is just done with Wii and motion control and that they really don't care about this game still. Somehow Zelda got this bad reputation since Twilight Princess that they're all the same game, something I never really agreed with personally. Regardless, I'm still thinking it's not going to get the credit it appears to deserve. Game looks freaking awesome, and damn it's been way too long since Twilight Princess. Can't wait.

wrowa

giggas said:
I would love to be proven wrong, but I think this still might end up being one of the lowest rated main line Zelda games. I feel like the enthusiastic press is just done with Wii and motion control and that they really don't care about this game still. Somehow Zelda got this bad reputation since Twilight Princess that they're all the same game, something I never really agreed with personally. Regardless, I'm still thinking it's not going to get the credit it appears to deserve. Game looks freaking awesome, and damn it's been way too long since Twilight Princess. Can't wait.
I agree and expect that Skyward Sword will be absolutely loved by the fans, but I don't think that these feelings will be reflected by the review scores.

Gino

haterbag.jpg

Caelus

RagnarokX said:
They pretty much are the octorok things from Mario Galaxy with an extra head layer and sprouts on their heads. But what's wrong with references? The SMG enemies were essentially Zelda references in the first place so it's Zelda -> Mario -> Zelda.

I like to call this game Zelda galaxy myself. I think it'll be at least that awesome.

Caelus

I think the textures are really well detailed, like splotches of paint on other splotches of paint with depth... and the cel-shaded textures are definitely pretty.

And the motion depth paint effect thingy looks great in motion.

Caelus said:
I think the textures are really well detailed, like splotches of paint on other splotches of paint with depth... and the cel-shaded textures are definitely pretty.

And the motion depth paint effect thingy looks great in motion.

I agree. I was really pleased with the picture outside of the Fire temple. The textures look awesome there. I just wish that the geometry could be improved a little.

Shiggy said:
I'm talking about the image quality, the game itself looks just fine for Wii hardware. Not great, but after Twilight Princess nobody expected that of the Zelda team.

Am I the only one who thought TP looked really good? I mean for last gen standards.

Bel Marduk said:
Am I the only one who thought TP looked really good? I mean for last gen standards.

I certainly thought the game looked good. Sometimes I'd just stare off into the areas around Lake Hylia because it looked so pretty, especially when the sun rises.

As for Skyward Sword, I'm gonna try to muster the strength to go on a media blackout from here on...but man does every new screen look awesome. Hard to believe it's only two months away.

Aeana

I won't be long until TP is considered an amazing game and Skyward Sword considered to have missed the mark. Zelda cycle continues~

Shiggy

Bel Marduk said:

TP had some huge texture issues. That's why Skyward Sword is this great - they chose an artstyle to hide these shortcomings.

zelda-twilight-princess-screen-2.jpg

My biggest problem has been the enemy design (which has just been compounded by these screenshots). They all look like wacky, non-threatening Mario enemies. I like what we've seen of the bosses, however.

Alextended said:
And yeah, GI really fucked up the image quality. The videos were pretty bad too. Game still looks great.

You realize we were given these by Nintendo, right? Like, we didn't take them ourselves.

Shiggy

shadyspace said:
My biggest problem has been the enemy designs (which has just been compounded by these screenshots). They all look like wacky, non-threatening Mario enemies. I like what we've seen of the bosses, however.

I think most of those characters aren't enemies, they just look too friendly.

I'm quite excited about good sword-fighting with Motion+ already.

Shiggy said:
TP had some huge texture issues. That's why Skyward Sword is this great - they chose an artstyle to hide these shortcomings.

That screen in particular looks crappy but areas like Lake Hylia, Temple of Time, and Gerudo Desert looked great. I played TP a couple weeks ago and I warped during Gerudo Desert during daytime and there was this hazy-type effect going on with the landscape I was like "Holy crap, did this game look this good before?"

MYE

wrowa said:
I agree and expect that Skyward Sword will be absolutely loved by the fans, but I don't think that these feelings will be reflected by the review scores.

I think it will score high, but no one will mention it in GOTY award disscussions...or any disscussions really.

Reminds me of that GT videocast where they almost forced themselves to talk about SMG2 for 10 seconds before going apeshit over RDR, Uncharted or whatever.

Oh and i dont think Giantbomb even covered Zelda in their post E3 videos.

You gotta love these fart-smelling, bro-oriented gaming sites :p
Shiggy said:
I'm talking about the image quality, the game itself looks just fine for Wii hardware. Not great, but after Twilight Princess nobody expected that of the Zelda team.

Still. Considering how horrible 90% of Wii screenshots are, these are pretty good.

For example. I cant find a decent pic of MP3 from a gaming site if humanity depended on it. Its quite amazing, actually.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
shadyspace said:
My biggest problem has been the enemy design (which has just been compounded by these screenshots). They all look like wacky, non-threatening Mario enemies. I like what we've seen of the bosses, however.

Yeah Ive found most of them to be far too generic artsy mushroom trip designs. Deku Babas look great, but everything else is kind of ridiculous looking and not in a good way, but Ill get over it cause everything else looks awesome.

My main concern when they first showed skyward sword last year was that for a game that is supposed to look like a painting it wasn't very... painty. They've really gone full steam ahead with that idea now though and it looks great. The depth of field thing is a stroke of genius.

Shiggy

Bel Marduk said:
That screen in particular looks crappy but areas like Lake Hylia, Temple of Time, and Gerudo Desert looked great. I played TP a couple weeks ago and I warped during Gerudo Desert during daytime and there was this hazy-type effect going on with the landscape I was like "Holy crap, did this game look this good before?"

I definitely do not disagree. Some parts looked absolutely great for a GCN game, but others including the field just looked cheap due to their ground textures. I think there is some texture pack for TP and that improved the visual quality quite a bit (even though I do not want to see Nintendo moving into this particular direction, I prefer the WiiU demo style).

udivision

OrangeGrayBlue said:
My main concern when they first showed skyward sword last year was that for a game that is supposed to look like a painting it wasn't very... painty. They've really gone full steam ahead with that idea now though and it looks great. The depth of field thing is a stroke of genius.
Nice. :p

feel

oh man these are looking so good :) :)

btw, those HDMI adapters for the wii are worthless/scams right?? Component 480p is a good as it gets using the console and an hdtv no?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
shadyspace said:
I hope we get to see how these fuckin' losers die out:

zelda_skyward_sword_volcano_03.jpg

I wonder if this guy is some sort of a businessman?

He looks like he'll sell Link something...basically like a Business Shrub.

FyreWulff

Letters said:
oh man these are looking so good :) :)

btw, those HDMI adapters for the wii are worthless/scams right?? Component 480p is a good as it gets using the console and an hdtv no?

Yeah, no Wii game goes past 480p.

Enduin said:
Yeah Ive found most of them to be far too generic artsy mushroom trip designs. Deku Babas look great, but everything else is kind of ridiculous looking and not in a good way, but Ill get over it cause everything else looks awesome.

The Lizaflos, skultula, and 4 armed/normal stalfos also look good. Actually the majority of enemies we've seen I think look good.

I think people are forgetting the others because we keep seeing those Bokoblins over and over.

Oxx said:
Dreamworks Smirk.

Nope, his eyebrows are both level.

JazzmanZ

udivision said:
C'mon grab your friends,
We'll post in many, stupid threads.
With Lull the Troll, and Hater the hater,
The lulz will never end, it's Backlash tiiiiiiiiime.

Oh wow, I'm not the only one who remembers the sing-a-long tapes.

Instro

shadyspace said:
The enemies were the same way in games like AlttP and WindWaker, I don't see why it matters as long as it fits the artstyle.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
TheCongressman1 said:
The Lizaflos, skultula, and 4 armed/normal stalfos also look good. Actually the majority of enemies we've seen I think look good.

I think people are forgetting the others because we keep seeing those Bokoblins over and over.

Probably, its a about 50/50 or 60/40. It has been getting better but the original slew of enemies shown were mostly ugly as hell. Even though TP had it fair share of bad enemy designs they werent freakishly big like the Bokoblins in SS. Theyre like weird monster babies, its terrible.

Edit: For reference heres a good depository for SS's enemies.

feel

FyreWulff said:
Yeah, no Wii game goes past 480p.
Figured that much. They advertise them with stuff like "Get 720p and 1080p from your wii!" lol

But I'm not to worried. Zelda TTP ha quite poor IQ in HDTVs, but the more recent Mario galaxy games still looked amazing in 480p in HDTV due to the bright and colorful aesthetics, this seems like a similar approach.

Top Bottom