• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All New Skyward Sword Info from GI + Nintendo

[Nintex] said:
It looks great, reminds me of Super Mario Galaxy even more now :eek:

But not a single fuck was given by Nintendo's texturing department that day
Speaking of which isn't the bird noises the SS bird makes reused sound clips from the bird in SMG2? It sounds like it to me at least.

This might have changed (and moreover, even if it hasn't, it may not be indicative of anything), but the E3 shots of Skyward Sword from last year had this
Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I thought it was shown that the level at the E3 2010 demo was actually floating slightly above Hyrule.

[Nintex]

Lord_Byron28 said:
Speaking of which isn't the bird noises the SS bird makes reused sound clips from the bird in SMG2? It sounds like it to me at least.
And the fire-monkey thing has the same sounds as the monkeys from Twilight Princess which originated from Majora's Mask.

The monkey sound is close to 10 years old now and still lives on. The real monkey who did the voice is probably dead by now.

Also the bird was first used in Twilight Princess then brought over to Super Mario Galaxy 2 and has returned in The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. But Link can fly now so that's awesome if only he had a dragon instead of a bird and the world was connected instead of floating bits but eh.

Lord_Byron28 said:

Sounds a tad different to me, but then again all I remember from Galaxy were the annoying squawks. Ironically, the bird levels were the my least favorite parts of Galaxy...

Enduin said:
Thats what Im hoping and seems most reasonable and rational, but never underestimate Nintendo's ability to fuck things up and randomly throw Ganondorf in their for some unnecessary reason.

Ganondorf doesn't need a reason to appear. He needs to be fucking Ganondorf.

MYE

GUYS, look at the colors of this fucking game!!!!!!

zelda_skyward_sword_volcano_14.jpg
zelda_skyward_sword_volcano_06.jpg

zelda_skyward_sword_volcano_45.jpg
zelda_skyward_sword_volcano_30.jpg

zelda_skyward_sword_volcano_01.jpg
zelda_skyward_sword_volcano_34.jpg

zelda_skyward_sword_volcano_42.jpg
zelda_skyward_sword_volcano_08.jpg

zelda_skyward_sword_volcano_09.jpg
zelda_skyward_sword_volcano_43.jpg

zelda_skyward_sword_volcano_03.jpg
zelda_skyward_sword_volcano_49.jpg

zelda_skyward_sword_volcano_30.jpg
zelda_skyward_sword_volcano_47.jpg

Oh god. I'm gonna play this in a couple of months!!!!
*CRIES*

Lunar15

MYE said:
really?

Really?

Don't get me wrong, I think this game is really beautiful... but those textures...

It's the kind of problem that I think is only really apparent in screenshots, but not so much in motion.

I had two feelings about this game as of just a few months ago (one a concern, one just a general feeling)

1. The concern was that this game was not going to get great reviews from the gaming media. Somewhere in between the polarizing Other M and the universally praised Galaxy games, which would be a disappointment for a Zelda game. And I know 'lol review scores' but this game will be the final mark on the Wii and Zelda games are traditionally the best reviewed games for their console.

2. For whatever reason (the E3 demo last year, the lack of information until about a week ago) I felt that this was shaping up to be a 'smaller' Zelda in terms of how expansive the world was and just how much there would be to explore. I wasn't particularly concerned about it, it was just the vibe I was getting.

All of this new information has completely changed those two feelings into Skyward Sword being the largest Zelda yet and quite possibly the best. It is kind of impossible to beat the review scores for OoT and the Galaxy games but this might have a shot.

[Nintex]

Cygnus X-1 said:
Just a question: is it possible this game is using Galaxy 2's graphical engine?
I believe almost all current Nintendo EAD games use the same base engine that Nintendo created while developing Super Mario Sunshine. That toolset was a big deal back then and The Wind Waker used it too. Twilight Princess used a customized The Wind Waker engine.

It seems that just like the Zelda timeline split the engine split up in two different directions

Super Mario Sunshine > The Wind Waker > Twilight Princess > Skyward Sword

Super Mario Sunshine > Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat > Super Mario Galaxy > Super Mario Galaxy 2 > Super Mario 3D Land

If you go further back you find out that most if not all of Nintendo's own N64 titles(Star Fox 64, Zelda OOT) also use the same engine as a base(Mario 64 engine).

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
What do people dislike about the textures? Some are bad here and there, like in TP (or every game ever), but most of the game looks great. Or do people mistake that painterly style for muddy textures? It's intentional... And is it me or do they have some kind of depth of field effect that makes distant areas even more painterly looking?

Boney said:
shouldn't it be the other way round?

Anyway, gimmieeeeee
I was slightly worried that the dude who did Oracles and Minish Cap was helming this but everything that had been put out prior to these screenshots looked amazing so I didn't give it much thought. Now? For a reason I can't quite place this isn't looking like a fully realized console Zelda. That and the unexpectedly strong Galaxy influence is off-putting.

Alexios

shadyspace said:
everything that had been put out prior to these screenshots looked amazing so I didn't give it much thought.
Eh, these screens don't show much those amazing videos you mention hadn't shown already. A few new views/spots of previously seen areas maybe.

Alextended said:
What do people dislike about the textures? Some are bad here and there, like in TP (or every game ever), but most of the game looks great. Or do people mistake that painterly style for muddy textures? It's intentional... And is it me or do they have some kind of depth of field effect that makes distant areas even more painterly looking?

You're 100% correct. The further you get from an area, the more like an impressionistic painting it appears to be. It's an insanely gorgeous effect to see in motion, seriously.

Alextended said:
Eh, these screens don't show much those amazing videos you mention hadn't shown already. A few new views/spots of previously seen areas maybe.
This is some the laziest shit I've seen from Nintendo in a while:

zelda_skyward_sword_volcano_45.jpg

Davey Cakes

GCX said:
This game puts TP's million shades of brown to shame.
Yeah. TP was a good looking game (for Gamecube), but Skyward Sword seems much more vibrant and colorful. It's a real pleasure to the eyes. Nintendo continues to show that it can make up for the lack of HD by creating artistically brilliant games.

Gino

MYE said:
zelda_skyward_sword_volcano_04.jpg

dat smoke

zelda_skyward_sword_volcano_17.jpg
WOW, he crossed his right leg behind his left... Nintendo I serious about Zelda animations.

I remember reading about how exited Miyamoto was that the level of liquid in a potion bottle drained realistically when you drank it in wind waker.

There is so much in this game that hasn't been in any other Zelda. I really love how they are changing it up but still keeping it familiar.

Shiggy

The screenshots look awful, who's responsible for the image quality at Nintendo/GI? And yes, the people responsible for textures also still seem to be on vacation.

Alexios

shadyspace said:
This is some the laziest shit I've seen from Nintendo in a while
Uuuh, it's floating rocks. Fits with the game's starting areas being floating islands. Why not have rocks here and there, smaller and larger areas, to show it's how the whole world is and to break up the constant view of (beautiful btw) clouds? I don't get what you find so offensive. Did you think every rock that stuck out of the sea in WW is lazy too?

Gino

Alextended said:
Uuuh, it's a floating rock. I'd guess there are plenty of those since the game's main area is a floating island to begin with. And?

maybe he's made this game has whimsical characters that seem like they could fit into a Mario game?

[Nintex]

Shiggy said:
And yes, the people responsible for textures also still seem to be on vacation.
Being a Zelda texture artist is like the best job ever. You don't have to show up at work 'ever' and you can take 5 years to put a color filter over the same texture you made for Majora's Mask 10 years ago.

Shiggy

[Nintex] said:
Being a Zelda texture artist is like the best job ever. You don't have to show up at work 'ever' and you can take 5 years to put a color filter over the same texture you made for Majora's Mask 10 years ago.

I think that's done by NST these days :D

Alexios

Gino said:
maybe he's made this game has whimsical characters that seem like they could fit into a Mario game?
So it's his first Zelda? Hardly the first cute creature to show up in the series, 3D or not...

And yeah, GI really fucked up the image quality. The videos were pretty bad too. Game still looks great.

MYE

Shiggy said:
The screenshots look awful, who's responsible for the image quality at Nintendo/GI? And yes, the people responsible for textures also still seem to be on vacation.

lol

RagnarokX

Gino said:
They pretty much are the octorok things from Mario Galaxy with an extra head layer and sprouts on their heads. But what's wrong with references? The SMG enemies were essentially Zelda references in the first place so it's Zelda -> Mario -> Zelda.

Top Bottom