• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon FireTV Announced and Released [$99 box, $40 controller, game capable STB]

Raistlin

Everything I've been reading about Plex makes it sound like I'd need a computer running to act as a server for it. I'm looking for a one-device, twitch streaming solution. If I'm incorrect, then the Plex plug-in would be great.
You are correct.

Plex (like Boxee) is a fork from XBMC. The direction they went is for a client/server model, where a server PC or NAS streams to various devices including PC's, tablets, phones, STB's, etc. It works great if you're are looking to view content from various devices, but is overkill if you simply want an all-in-one.

Pociask

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere - how does the game controller work outside of the Fire box? Really, my question is, can you use it with Steam?

Grief.exe

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere - how does the game controller work outside of the Fire box? Really, my question is, can you use it with Steam?

Depends on if there are PC drivers available and if it is detected as Xinput or Directinput. The former has become the PC standard.

I wonder if you could connect a DS4 to the Fire TV via bluetooth and play games that way. I don't have one, yet, but I would like one for PC games and my inevitable PS4 purchase in 2015.

Raistlin

I actually had a controller ordered, then changed my mind to wait and see if PS3/PS4 controllers would work for it ... and to hold out for some more exclusives.

Kind of regretting it now that it's backordered lol

Twinduct

Yo two quick questions

1) With the plex app, does the voice navigation work on it?
2) Is there anyway to sideload Google app store yet?

Krakn3Dfx

Depends on if there are PC drivers available and if it is detected as Xinput or Directinput. The former has become the PC standard.

I wonder if you could connect a DS4 to the Fire TV via bluetooth and play games that way. I don't have one, yet, but I would like one for PC games and my inevitable PS4 purchase in 2015.

I thought someone posted that it was compatible with HID wireless controllers or something to that effect. I'll be trying out both a DS3 and DS4 controller with it when I get mine today unless it's already been confirmed that they don't.

Grief.exe

I thought someone posted that it was compatible with HID wireless controllers or something to that effect. I'll be trying out both a DS3 and DS4 controller with it when I get mine today unless it's already been confirmed that they don't.

Let me know if they are compatible.

If they are, I would just throw down my Best Buy giftcard and pick one up today. I've already been waiting to grab one for PC use.

tensuke

DS4 shows up as a 'wireless controller' but doesn't pair for me. Haven't tried a DS3 yet, is there a way to put it into pairing mode or do I have to connect it to my PC and change the bluetooth address there?

It should be possible to play local content either on-device or from a network share. Dice Player runs on it, so you can copy local media to it and play it (but 8GB...) and Dice also supports playback from network shares, ftp, http, etc. Plex is your best bet though if you are okay having a media server set up.

Yo two quick questions

1) With the plex app, does the voice navigation work on it?
2) Is there anyway to sideload Google app store yet?

1) Voice Search is just that, search, it searches for movies/shows/actors/etc. in Amazon's library as well as apps/games in the store. It doesn't search other services or do any kind of navigation within apps. However, you can use it to open games/apps by searching for say 'Netflix', Netflix will pop up as the first search result, and if you have it installed you can just hit enter to open it. I imagine other search services like Netflix, Hulu+, etc. will come. Navigation I can't say.
2) Haven't seen any. I've tried putting the play store, play services, etc. and nothing works. Perhaps another app store will work, I haven't tried others as Google Play is the only one I'd want.

Raistlin

For people that have it already ...

Does it have a replay function a la Roku? ie. a button that replays the last 10 or so seconds of what you were watching? The fantastic thing about Roku is this feature is not at the app level, but at the underlying video decoder/buffer level. That way it works on any video stream (ie. all apps)

I find this feature absolutely invaluable. There are so many times when you miss something someone says and want to just skip back a few seconds.

1) Voice Search is just that, search, it searches for movies/shows/actors/etc. in Amazon's library as well as apps/games in the store. It doesn't search other services or do any kind of navigation within apps. However, you can use it to open games/apps by searching for say 'Netflix', Netflix will pop up as the first search result, and if you have it installed you can just hit enter to open it. I imagine other search services like Netflix, Hulu+, etc. will come. Navigation I can't say.
2) Haven't seen any. I've tried putting the play store, play services, etc. and nothing works. Perhaps another app store will work, I haven't tried others as Google Play is the only one I'd want.
Unless they are lying, universal search also works in Hulu Plus. Or am I thinking about something else?

Obviously the hope is they can add Netflix and Vudu like Roku does. That is definitely a limitation right now.

I really hope they do gaming right on this thing. It could be a cheap beacon of creativity if they don't try to match xbox 360 and up style games. I hope amazons game developers look at less power as a creative motivator instead of a crutch, I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out on this thing.

tensuke

For people that have it already ...

Does it have a replay function a la Roku? ie. a button that replays the last 10 or so seconds of what you were watching? The fantastic thing about Roku is this feature is not at the app level, but at the underlying video decoder/buffer level. That way it works on any video stream (ie. all apps)

I find this feature absolutely invaluable. There are so many times when you miss something someone says and want to just skip back a few seconds.

Unless they are lying, universal search also works in Hulu Plus.

Obviously the hope is they can add Netflix and Vudu like Roku does. That is definitely a limitation right now.

I think you're right, it supports Amazon and Hulu right now. I just don't use Hulu so I kind of forgot. :p

As for the buttons, yeah, if you just press (rather than hold down) rewind or fast forward it will jump back/forward 10 seconds, like the Roku. Well actually, it appears to do that in the video player for Amazon, Youtube, jumps in 5 second increments everytime you hit it in Crackle, and in Netflix it starts fast forwarding or rewinding (and goes faster when you hold it down). I think it jumps 10 seconds in Crunchyroll, too. So, most of the time yes, but not in Netflix, there you have to hit rewind and then hit play a second or two after.

ViciousDS

Banned
DS4 shows up as a 'wireless controller' but doesn't pair for me. Haven't tried a DS3 yet, is there a way to put it into pairing mode or do I have to connect it to my PC and change the bluetooth address there?

Hold the Playstation button while holding the share button will put the device into pair mode.
the light bar will start flashing rapidly and than you can pair it with your device. To than shut it off just hold the playstation button till it turns off.

hope it works, I didn't try it last night.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this but most of the tv apps like showtime and espn don't have direct tv support yet I was kinda bummed. Good thing I still have a Roku and two apple tvs 😀

tensuke

Hold the Playstation button while holding the share button will put the device into pair mode.
the light bar will start flashing rapidly and than you can pair it with your device. To than shut it off just hold the playstation button till it turns off.

hope it works, I didn't try it last night.

I was asking about pairing a DS3, already tried with a DS4 and it shows up but doesn't pair. :3

edit: while fpse has controller issues, epsxe works perfect (sticks too). Many emus support a second player, and I'm pretty sure you can use the remote and controller as p1/p2 (on the remote I guess you have 4 directions, the center button, and the 3 media playback buttons). Haven't gotten a second real controller connected yet, but it supports up to 7 amazon controllers even, so multiplayer gaming ought to be good on this.

tensuke

Okay so WOW, I feel so dumb for not even trying this, but I plugged in my DS4 through USB and it works. D-Pad to navigate around, Square for 'enter' and X for 'back'. In epsxe, selected controller 1 to be the Sony Controller, and it pretty much mapped all the buttons for me (although I went through to double check). Analog mapped itself too. This is great!

Snaku

Banned
Okay so WOW, I feel so dumb for not even trying this, but I plugged in my DS4 through USB and it works. D-Pad to navigate around, Square for 'enter' and X for 'back'. In epsxe, selected controller 1 to be the Sony Controller, and it pretty much mapped all the buttons for me (although I went through to double check). Analog mapped itself too. This is great!

Woah, so the DS4 works on the FireTV? USB only?

tensuke

Woah, so the DS4 works on the FireTV? USB only?

Yeah, I got it paired through the controller pairing thing in settings but it never connects. It's possible there's a bluetooth pairing app out there that would make it work, though. Also I haven't really tried anything with a DS3, but I'm less optimistic since DS4 is a normal HID controller, DS3 may require a sixaxis app to function if at all.

Grief.exe

I remember reading we would get 1000 Amazon Coins with the purchase, did that end up going through?

EDIT: Oh the controller comes with 1000 Amazon coins

Krakn3Dfx

I remember reading we would get 1000 Amazon Coins with the purchase, did that end up going through?

Wondering about that, too. Going to get mine hooked up when I get home and probably chat Amazon up and see where those Coins are, right now I just have 99, which I had before.

ViciousDS

Banned
I was asking about pairing a DS3, already tried with a DS4 and it shows up but doesn't pair. :3

edit: while fpse has controller issues, epsxe works perfect (sticks too). Many emus support a second player, and I'm pretty sure you can use the remote and controller as p1/p2 (on the remote I guess you have 4 directions, the center button, and the 3 media playback buttons). Haven't gotten a second real controller connected yet, but it supports up to 7 amazon controllers even, so multiplayer gaming ought to be good on this.

how do you transfer your back-ups over? As well how do you delete them lol

EDIT: you get 1,000 coins with each controller purchase not the FireTV

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
If there is any doubt that this is a full fledged console, the first thing you get when you boot it up is a mandatory system update

tensuke

how do you transfer your back-ups over? As well how do you delete them lol

I used Dropbox, although it's possible you can use ES File Manager to copy stuff from networked drives. For dropbox, without a mouse you can't choose log in, but if you put in your username/pass in the sign-up screen it will log you in anyway. Then just longpress something and choose export to tell it where to download to. For deleting them, just install a file manager. :)

And the DS4 works great in epsxe, doesn't seem to work in Riptide, I can't accelerate at all. Sad, although the remote can play it so there's a second player. :p It's really neat that it has 4 player splitscreen, I hope a lot of future Amazon games have local multiplayer like that.

edit: ^neat, let us know when it's approved! Does it use Amazon achievements/leaderboards or anything?

Krakn3Dfx

Mouse an pad functionality on the Logitech K400 work fine on the Fire TV, been messing around in a side loaded copy of Firefox. Unfortunately, one of the things I was hoping to do with this, watch live content on Youtube, doesn't work, just says "Live event playback is not supported on this client". Maybe it's because it's Firefox, loaded Chrome but it runs sideways on the screen.

Grief.exe

Mouse an pad functionality on the Logitech K400 work fine on the Fire TV, been messing around in a side loaded copy of Firefox. Unfortunately, one of the things I was hoping to do with this, watch live content on Youtube, doesn't work, just says "Live event playback is not supported on this client". Maybe it's because it's Firefox, loaded Chrome but it runs sideways on the screen.

I'd be very surprised if a native youtube app doesn't make its way to the device, or you can try sideloading one now.

rbenchley

Until then, there are a couple other options. There is an Android app called Limelight that uses nVidia's GPU encoding/streaming that they use for Shield. Requires Android 4.1 and a GTX 600/700+ though.

There's also Kainy.

I haven't been able to test it yet as I have an AMD card, but someone over at the XDA forums reported success sideloading and running Limelight:
I just sideloaded the latest Limelight.apk onto my Amazon Fire TV, and (somewhat surprisingly) it works great and supports the Fire TV's gaming controller! I was able to do 720p/60 and 1080p/30 streaming of Borderlands 2 from my PC; 1080p/60 was beyond the unit's capabilities, however. The only annoyance is that sideloaded apps don't show up in the apps menu of the Fire TV; instead, you have to go into the unit's Settings menu to find and start the Limelight app...but that's a small price to pay for big-screen streaming.

I should note that I did not test streaming over wireless...my Fire TV is using wired Ethernet.
Hopefully, the developer will submit the app to Amazon's store to make everything a bit more seamless. Very psyched. I think my next video card is going to be Nvidia instead of AMD.

Top Bottom