• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ambient Occlusion: The stupidest graphical technique of all time

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Can you elaborate on this. You can't interact with most backgrounds anyway?

If you bake something, like AO or indirect lighning, it's going to look awesome in a static scene, but as soon as you start to move things around, it will break the illusion because, since it not in realtime, lightning (or AO, or reflections, or anything) won't change.

Take this The Last of Us screen

image_303304_620.jpg

There is some nice lighting going on here, but its all baked, hence, everthing is static, and you can't move anything. Take the box on the right. You can see that the part your facing is being lit thanks to a bouncing light (because as far as I can tell, the sun is behind it, so without a bounce it would be completely in shadow), and the lightning is right in this particular situation, but move the box, and place it a few meters back, next to the metal door (Without baking the lightmap again) and the box will still look like as if it's still being lit from the old position.

This applies to everything, take AO, lets say you have a wall, you place a wardrobe next to it, bake the AO, then you move the wardrobe: you're left with a black silhouette (the AO) where the wardrobe was.

This slows down development, but more importantly limits the scene interactivity, because you wouldn't not be able to, say, blow up the wardrobe during gameplay, because you'd be left with the AO on the wall.

So you either don't use any kind of AO on dynamic objects, or you use SSAO/HBAO/HDAO...

2San

If you bake something, like AO or indirect lighning, it's going to look awesome in a static scene, but as soon as you start to move things around, it will break the illusion because, since it not in realtime, lightning (or AO, or reflections, or anything) won't change.

Take this The Last of Us screen

image_303304_620.jpg

There is some nice lighting going on here, but its all baked, hence, everthing is static, and you can't move anything. Take the box on the right. You can see that the part your facing is being lit thanks to a bouncing light (because as far as I can tell, the sun is behind it, so without a bounce it would be completely in shadow), and the lightning is right in this particular situation, but move the box, and place it a few meters back, next to the metal door (Without baking the lightmap again) and the box will still look like as if it's still being lit from the old position.

This applies to everything, take AO, lets say you have a wall, you place a wardrobe next to it, bake the AO, then you move the wardrobe: you're left with a black silhouette (the AO) where the wardrobe was.

This slows down development, but more importantly limits the scene interactivity, because you wouldn't not be able to, say, blow up the wardrobe during gameplay, because you'd be left with the AO on the wall.

So you either don't use any kind of AO on dynamic objects, or you use SSAO/HBAO/HDAO...
Thanks for taking the time to write that out.

rashbeep

Banned
Good luck with that. Unless it's a first person view (and from a human's perspective at that), you're not viewing the game world from the eyes of a person but both a metaphorical and literal (well, virtual) camera.

Super Mario 64 is like the only game I can think of in existence that addressed this adequately.

edit: Oh maybe you just left out the word "first." I agree that the effect has no place in those games (but cool effects like brightness adjustment moving from dark to light areas would be appropriate)

LOL my bad I meant to say "in any first person game" :p

AndyBNV

Nvidia
The examples used in this threads that show how good AO is, are mostly pointing towards non-interactive objects.

HBAO+ has no issue with moving objects or characters. It's applied to Batman, Kenway, Sam Fisher, moving objects, dynamically created, persistent PhysX debris, and so on and so forth.

AO is a great effect when you have the performance for it. However, when I need to increase FPS it's usually the first thing I turn off.

-SD-

Banned
We see everything on TV through a lens. video games are trying to simulate that to make it feel like we are looking at something that could actually be captured on film and thus add realism.
...and that is precisely why it is a stupid idea for games.

I don't mind lens flare/dirt in, for example, Crysis 3 because you're playing a character who sees the world through a helmet's visor. Now, that actually adds realism.

PnCIa

In some games it looks good, in some games it looks bad.
Older implementations are often incredibly noisy and too dark so i would rather leave it off in such cases because it can wreck the picture with black blobs.
Newer games are pulling it off a lot better though.

riflen

Has anyone posted links from Andy's Batman: Arkham Origins performance guide? Some nice interactive comparison images there: 1 2 3

hesido

I guess I'm with the OP here. I can barely tell any worthwhile difference in any of the pictures he posted.

I began to grasp the fact that some people can't tell 60fps from 30fps. I began to grasp the fact that some people are very susceptible to sub-native resolutions (I personally care less about resolution than framerate.) But I can't understand how one could "barely" tell the difference between the shots in the o.post!

You didn't need AO in the old times, almost everything was baked in textures and the graphics fidelity was already low to begin with. As the worlds became more dynamic and bigger, the graphics took a hit in the sense that you could no longer bake in everything in a dynamic world. So you need those extra layers of effects. Unfortunately, once graphics fidelity is past a certain point, those extra touches that make the scene more "realistic" (in the sense that light behaving in ways we come to expect) becomes more subtle, but the whole effect of realism comes from a combination of all those subtle layers, each computationally more costly than the next...

Here's the outstanding implementation of "contact shadows" from characters in the last of us in its subtlest moments, which makes the whole indirectly lit scene. There are places that it's much more visible but I'm loving the subtlety in this one:
lastofusdynamicao2-yoyogif.gif

Their technique is different from screen space implementations seen in the OP tho, as far as I'm aware.

Used to agree, I thought it was useless in BFBC2, and suffered a large performance hit at the time with it, for barely anything noticeable.

Better implementations have come, and now games look flatter without it, so that option stays on. There are some freaking horrific implementations out there though, stupid shit like the first person view model having a black dithered halo around it when next to a wall.

The OP screenshot however shows a good reason for it -

IugX91V.png

Shit is flat as a pancake without it.

pswii60

AO adds a lot of depth based on the comparison screens in this thread, no red rings required. And it's even more pronounced in motion.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
No No No Please
No

There is a lot i can hate on but AO has gone a long way and has added too much to scenes to say its the stupidest......stupidest? Nah
Stupidest technique of all time rather hate on shit like like bloom.

Sorry but AO i love......well done AO im 100% on board.

AO makes even stock materials that much better.
ibjEVuUeJBFF8V.jpg

I guess I'm the only one, but I agree with the OP. If I can barely notice the effect when looking at two screenshots side by side, as is the case with most of the examples in this thread, it's not worth the performance hit to me.

JordanN

Banned
Woah, how did I miss this thread?

Ambient Occlusion is great. CG movies show how it's done and that's the closest you'll get to photorealism this side of rendering.

i8QH7Mpfa5cKP.jpg

ikHcIqA11aTCK.jpg

adelante

Here's the outstanding implementation of "contact shadows" from characters in the last of us in its subtlest moments, which makes the whole indirectly lit scene. There are places that it's much more visible but I'm loving the subtlety in this one:
lastofusdynamicao2-yoyogif.gif

Their technique is different from screen space implementations seen in the OP tho, as far as I'm aware.
Yep, TLOU's implementation works extremely well because the darkness of the shadow takes into account which part of the character's body that is closer to the surface too. Gonna quote my post from an old thread:
I'd love to see developers bringing imperfect shadow map tech (or some variation of it) into PC games, knowing full well that current hardware standards presents such opportunity. Forget SSAO/HBAO when you have indirect shadows as convincing as the ones in TLoU:

Early implementations could do really weird things (I remember Burnout Paradise putting it around telegraph wires for example... what?) but HBAO+ is legit and makes a substantial improvement to any scene.

I can't wait to upgrade my PC and start enjoying that stuff.

Broank

I remember before they added it to Minecraft vanilla AO was one of the can't play without mods along with better grass (which I believe they still haven't added). It made a gigantic difference switching it on/off.

Zing

Banned
Based on the screenshots in the OP, I'd demand this graphical effect in all games. Compared to having it enabled, games look like Wolfenstein 3D.

Demon Ice

Banned
Dunno what you're talking about, OP. Well implemented SSAO / HBAO is both noticeable and drastically improves the image. Just look at how unnatural all the geometry looks in the Battlefield shots without AO. The pillars going into the roof, the intersections of wall and floor, etc.

Naminator

Banned

Demon Ice

Banned
jqNmvOC.png

Look at the difference in depth proper shadowing provides. You can't tell if the pillars in the top image are contacting the roof, sitting just in front of the roof, or what. It looks like a flat image.

The red circles were not necessary at all, IMO.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
I haven't had much luck with a number of titles since going back to pc gaming lately. Couldn't get any results with Metro 2033, Shift 2, Assetto Corsa, SC:BL, Witcher 2 etc. Very finicky to get working if at all ... even with RadeonPro.

Demon Ice

Banned
Look at all the debris on the floor of the Battlefield shot. Without AO it looks like it's all hovering above the floor. It looks unnatural.

Edit: Every pic in the OP looks substantially better with AO on minus the Skyrim ENB one, which seems like it was intentionally chosen as a scene in which there's very little AO, considering all the DOF that's blurring the walls.

Top Bottom