• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin64

I thought it might be a good idea to have a general purpose amiibo discussion thread, but I also figured it might be better suited for Community under the new rules, so here we are. There's a lot of scattered chatter about little bits of functionality, quality, etc but no central hub.

The first two waves of amiibo to be released are for Super Smash Bros. This means their full functionality only comes into play with Super Smash Bros. for U or for 3DS, but that other games will have a bonus use. You might not want to buy them just for these bonus uses, but if you do have them then consider it a nice little extra.

Wave 1 - November 21st 2014 (US), November 28th 2014 (EU)

Mario
Peach
Yoshi
Donkey Kong
Link
Fox McCloud
Samus
Wii Fit Trainer
Villager
Pikachu
Kirby
Marth

Wave 2 - December 2014 (US), December 19th 2014 (EU)

Zelda
Diddy Kong
Luigi
Pit
Captain Falcon
Little Mac

So of course, in Smash, you use these guys to spawn an AI controlled fighter, which you can train up by sparring with them and feed them items to make them stronger. It may not be overly compelling, but do keep in mind that all modes now have 2-player, including Classic. Can't find a friend? Take an amiibo you trained through with you. This to me is the best aspect. This turned out to not be true. :(

steps-train.jpg

I also made a chart to show additional uses, which I will keep updating as we find out new information. A question mark denotes that we have confirmation it will work with that title, but we don't know what it does. I left Hyrule Warriors blank for the most part for now until we find out if items are random or specific to characters. Note that this is just for the Smash Bros. range right now and there may be ranges specifically for those other games too.

DZdMQab.png

Personally I'm pretty excited to see what extra things we get in other games, and I'm even going to enjoy training a few of these in Smash. I absolutely have to have an amiibo Pikachu travelling through Classic with me while I play as Zero Suit Samus, after all. ;)

(If a mod thinks this should be Gaming side, or not exist at all, I won't argue either way)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Great idea! I was thinking to do it by myself, very good OP!
I'll follow this thread for updates on possible other amiibos or compatibel games.
I'm still thinking to buy the Smash bundle for Mario, and after that Link (because I like him, and because I can use him on three different games already available).
I'm also tempted by Fox, Little Mac, Falcon and Samus

Robin64

I'm going to ask for people to buy me these as Christmas presents, then I just have to get the ones I am missing myself. Getting Mario at launch, though.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Man, I wanted Cap. Falcon & Little Mac, but now I feel like I should switch to Link & either Kirby or Yoshi in order to get more out of my money. Would rather get a character that works on 2 or 3 games compared to someone that only works on one game at the moment.

daydream

Banned
Nice thread, Robin! 'scribed.

Link (and Zelda, I guess) is the one I'm interested in the most atm because of the HW implementation.

Based on the smash roster list I'll most likely end up buying 12 amiibos.

In order not to destroy my wallet, are there any cheap solutions in Europe? Based on a few searchings it appears that amazon.co.uk is the cheapest with 10£ per amiibo. Also it's been ages since preordered anything online. If I order amiibos from wave 1 and 2 as one order (to save shipping costs), will I then have to wait till wave 2 release, or will my order be shipped in two?

Edit: These are the amiibos I'll get.
Link
Peach
Yoshi
Samus
Zelda
Captain Falcon

Shulk
Sheik
Zero Suit Samus
Duck Hunt
Ganondorf
Megaman

I feel like such a thread being made before the Amiibos are out with so many Amiibo news threads still on gaming side will cause this thread to remain quiet for a while.

As for me I just realized that even at the best sale of B1G1 the Amiibos for all Smash characters would cost me $647. Nope.

So far I'm going to skip on all Fire Emblem and Pokemon ones or just get at least one character per franchise. I buy Figmas so I have Pit, Dark Pit, Link, Zelda and eventually Luciana.

Let me make a preliminary list:

Initial 18: 10
Samus
Wii Fit Trainer
Link
Zelda
Yoshi
Kirby
Captain Falcon
Fox McCloud
Little Mac
A Mario character

Other 31: 5

Shulk
Zero Suit Samus
Duck Hunt R.O.B.
Greninja
Olimar
Mr. Game & Watch
Ness

If I did 1 character per franchise: 2

Palutena
Villager

So about 17. Much more reasonable. I'm afraid though that Sheik and Ganondorf will have exclusive weapons too. Also wondering what the Mario bunch have in store for Amiibo support. May have to get Donkey Kong too.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'm more tempted to try a few Amiibos due to all the co-op modes in Smash U.

Oddly enough I would actually like to see Nintendo take one more shot at Nintendo Land, maybe "Nintendo World". Where plonking an Amiibo down spawns the character as a CPU player in various attractions, that level up and become better at the attraction as you play through it with them in tow.

Blues1990

Out of all the Amiibo figurines that have been announced, I'm definitely going to get Samus, Kirby, Pit, Little Mac, & Captain Falcon. In the future, Rosalina, Pac-Man, & Mega Man will be on my wish list. However, I remain undecided on Peach & the Villager, given how people have had mixed reactions towards those particular figurines.

Also, I hope Captain Toad & Toadette will join in on the fun, as they are too adorable to be left out.

Muzy72

Banned
Buying all of them at launch!

Hopefully Captain Toad is Smash DLC so I can get a Captain Toad amiibo O:

Joei

I don't own any games listed in the OP, but I do plan on buying all of them except MP10. Really excited about the Amiibo, more than I thought I would be and will be buying Link and Samus first, and Yoshi eventually since Wooly World is a game I'm looking forward to. I imagine I'd get Luigi as well. Oh, and I'd have to get Toad if they ever release one (I'm sure they will).

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I guess I should mention here if you're a Club Nintendo member, I've been hearing that some people have been getting surveys about Amiibos. Strangely, I haven't gotten one, despite registering Hyrule Warriors & MK8, both of which will support it.

DontBlink

EDIT: Should've read the post above...

Not sure if this has been mentioned but a Bonus Survey at Club Nintendo pretty much confirmed you will be able to share amiibos to unlock the content.

Robin64

Figured that would be the case as the Mario Kart 8 video I've seen has them scanning it once and the costume being ticked. Would be horrible if they unticked it every time you reset.

But good to see confirmation, hopefully this will encourage a few more people to embrace our plastic figurine future.

lt519

Just bought me a Yoshi amiibo! Not to interested in any of the others, or really interested in any of the gameplay effects. I just like Yoshi :)

leroidys

So if I were to buy just one amiibo...

Currently thinking about WFT, Kid Icarus, and Captain Falcon, as they seem the most likely to become rare to me.

I want to buy one at launch who I will use with Super Smash:

Link
Fox McCloud
Samus
Pikachu
Kirby

The above would normally be the easy choice of Link if he didn't look so awful and I expect a Toon Link down the line.

I haven't played Smash in a long long time and wondering who is going to be the best to try and get good with to begin with. Love the look of Fox, Samus (even with the platforms) and Kirby. Pikachu I can't help think I would be terrible with!

Does anybody think we will get Wave 2 before Christmas, is there any point in asking for them on a Christmas list for example?

Thanks for this topic by the way OP!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I wonder if Toon Link will give you something special for Hyrule Warriors similar to Link & Zelda (wonder when we'll hear what weapon you get for scanning her).

Think I'll nab Link the week after Thanksgiving once or once college is done since I'll have more funds to work with.

Does anybody think we will get Wave 2 before Christmas, is there any point in asking for them on a Christmas list for example?
I would imagine Nintendo would want them out before Xmas so they have more options for parents & such to buy for gifts. Maybe we'll get a date once Wave 1 & SSB Wii U's released.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I

I would imagine Nintendo would want them out before Xmas so they have more options for parents & such to buy for gifts. Maybe we'll get a date once Wave 1 & SSB Wii U's released.

In Europe the Wave 2, with Falcon, Zelda, Little Mac, Diddy Kong, Pit and Luigi, will be available before Christmas, I think from December 19. Considering that in the US the first wave is hitting the market one week earlier than PAL regions, I bet that also the second wave will be available at lest on par with the European one.

Yeah good points, need a bit of Captain Falcon goodness so that will be my first purchase from Wave 2. Now if only they would announce Ganon...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Not sure I understand the Loot Crate thing. Why is better than just ordering from Amazon?
Depends on the price. If they charge, say, $33 each month, then that's about $100 you'd spend, compared to $130 + tax. Though we need to hear the price first to see how much of a deal it is.

Phoenixus

Is there any word on whether amiibos are region free? Already with Lootcrate and getting them this way sounds great but not if they're locked to the US in some way.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
my wallet is gonna be destroyed...!!!
Shulk and Ike are stunning; I really want them. Maybe Sheik too, due to HW implementation.

Robin64

Initially I was going to get them all, but now there are just so many I really can't afford that! Ones that work in Mario Kart 8 will get priority for me.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Initially I was going to get them all, but now there are just so many I really can't afford that! Ones that work in Mario Kart 8 will get priority for me.

I know that feeling bro!
Me too I have to determine which will be mine.
I'm waiting one more week for the PAL release of the Smash bundle to get Mario at a discounted price; I'm gonna pick Link up on November 28 to use it in HW and MK8 (and Smash the week after). But I'm really confused about the others...I love Samus, Mac and Pit ones. Those would be the three "useless" choices. But unfortunately I love also Fox, Falcon, Ike and Shulk, other useless option outside Smash bros...I have to determine the "logic" of my collection, and I'm torned!!!

Taigerr

I think its fair to say that many if not all Nintendo gamers are, like myself, on the amiibo hype wagon.
The more of them I see the more of them I want however, the more I think about it I am concerned that these little figurines become must have's in order to access 100% of a games content rather than being an optional game play accessory.
My concerns are raised even more on learning that any 1 amiibo can only have save data for 1 game at a time. Save data must be erased when using the same amiibo across different games http://www.gonintendo.com/?page=1#.

Unless I am missing something, it seems like we could find ourselves in a Skylander situation where before you know it you need more amiibos over the life of nintendo hardware in order to get full access to a games content especially now that third party games are also coming into the fray.

On top of that, as a "mature" gamer its bad enough pulling out my famicom themed white N3DS (which I love BTW!) but to have to pull out little toy figures as well in public is a bit..... well you get the gist...

Just wondering if anyone else feels the same???

Robin64

Well take the Smash amiibos as an example. The read/write portion of the amiibo data is just for Smash. Then there's a little read only section with identifiers that any game can use. This was in an interview months ago:

To get technical, the amiibo is able to store data, and within the full data set you have this much data (mimics a large space with his pointer finger and thumb) which is reserved for Smash Bros. But then you have a subset of data (mimics roughly half of the space from the previous example) that says this is the Mario figure. Smash Bros will use the big chunk of data in the Smash Bros. amiibo, but the other games are able to read that this is a Mario figure through this other set of data that identifies the character, and that is how the characters are able to interact with the Mario amiibo.

sammex

I think its fair to say that many if not all Nintendo gamers are, like myself, on the amiibo hype wagon.
The more of them I see the more of them I want however, the more I think about it I am concerned that these little figurines become must have's in order to access 100% of a games content rather than being an optional game play accessory.
My concerns are raised even more on learning that any 1 amiibo can only have save data for 1 game at a time. Save data must be erased when using the same amiibo across different games http://www.gonintendo.com/?page=1#.

So far there aren't any other games that will save data to an amiibo other than Smash.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
To copy/paste info from another thread, Toon Link is confirmed to work in both Mario Kart 8 (perhaps works as Link & just the costume?) and Hyrule Warriors, and Zelda and Shiek will work in Hyrule Warriors.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
B2KmogvIgAAeMjF.png

So January and February set: I'm gonna pick Ike up in january and Shulk in February for sure. Probably Sheik too for HW.

Rootbeer

Banned
That huge yellow slab looks so strange... Does the yellow part come off? It looks like it might just be some protective thing for while it's in the package? Anyone know?

61JXjf8ioTL._SL1500_.jpg

Great idea, I'm having a hard time following all of the news / releases already. I have Waves 1 & 2 preordered and with the news that Wave 3 is Feb. in the US and will have retailer exclusives I'm likely going to import Wave 3 from Amazon.JP. Have preorders opened yet?

Tom_Cody

This thread makes a lot of sense. There have been a billion Amiibos recently.

Also, I get the sense that only a small subset of GAF cares about Amiibo.

vgamer1

That huge yellow slab looks so strange... Does the yellow part come off? It looks like it might just be some protective thing for while it's in the package? Anyone know?

61JXjf8ioTL._SL1500_.jpg

Nope. that's the stand holding Link up.

We all agree it looks horrible.

Tom_Cody

Have we seen the Japanese packaging yet?

If I am going to collect any of these in-box, I think I'm going to prefer to have the Japanese versions.

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse is also confirmed to support amiibo.

Not sure which ones I am going to get. They are a little more expensive in Canada, and many of them are useless outside of Smash. I may get Yoshi to start, and some others on sales. Yoshi seems to be the most useful, currently.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Have we seen the Japanese packaging yet?

If I am going to collect any of these in-box, I think I'm going to prefer to have the Japanese versions.
They look to be pretty much the same, save for name changes (i.e Mega Man is Rockman) & logos. You can click each character & see a (small) picture of the JPN packaging here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom