• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analysis of the infamous ass shot scene from Metroid: Zero Mission (no sexy talk, just intelligent discussion)

Sybb

Banned
You know the scene:

MOjhZGP.png

But let's not talk about the sex appeal part. Instead, let's talk about what this scene tries to convey to the player. Because right after this scene, the gameplay changes drastically from "run and gun shoot everything that moves" to "sneak, be careful and watch out for every single enemy". How to convey that to the unsuspecting player without writing it down and therefore killing immersion? I think they did that with two things:

1) Samus's pose
Unlike her poses in her Power Suit, which convey strength and determination, this pose here conveys insecurity and vulnurability. Instead of making herself big, she's making herself small by standing with her legs close together, and almost hugging herself with her left arm. She's not pointing her stun gun anywhere. Instead, it's just hanging there.

2) Samus's flabby buttocks and thighs
Unlike her Power Suit, which looks like hard and cold metal, Samus's lower body looks soft. Very, very soft. Note how big her backside is compared to her head or her waist. Note how her thighs rub together. Her physical condition is further revealed by her upper body which isn't flabby, but slim and untoned.

The pose conveys that Samus is insecure and therefore needs to advance carefully. Perfect for the gameplay ahead. The soft and flabby lower part of her body conveys that she's definitely weaker without her power suit, so the player understands he cannot just run and gun anymore. The conditions have changed.

Compare to a scene where Samus would have had an action pose, pointing her gun at the camera while looking dangerous. Where her body would've looked firm and fit. The player would then have rushed into combat believing that Samus was still very strong. And then he would've been confused and disappointed when he couldn't kill the space pirates with a single shot anymore.

This scene is what conveys that, simply by the way it portrays Samus.

Do you agree with my analysis? Hopefully you don't, because discussion is always most interesting when people have different opinions, and can back these opinions with well thought arguments.

EDIT: Yeah I know there's text at this scene as well where the stun gun is revealed to be rather useless.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
The butt is down to the era. The 2000s were... weird. Granted, not as weird as the puritan nightmare we currently live in, but it seemed like everything was super edgelord, sex appeal, extra all the time.

I agree with the rest. These are the kinds of details and continuity that make Nintendo games resonate so much.

Sybb

Banned
The butt is down to the era. The 2000s were... weird. Granted, not as weird as the puritan nightmare we currently live in, but it seemed like everything was super edgelord, sex appeal, extra all the time.
Can you please elaborate on this, because I don't quite get you.
She's insecure about her flabby backside.
Irony is not easily conveyed online with words only...

Imtjnotu

You know the scene:

MOjhZGP.png

But let's not talk about the sex appeal part. Instead, let's talk about what this scene tries to convey to the player. Because right after this scene, the gameplay changes drastically from "run and gun shoot everything that moves" to "sneak, be careful and watch out for every single enemy". How to convey that to the unsuspecting player without writing it down and therefore killing immersion? I think they did that with two things:

1) Samus's pose
Unlike her poses in her Power Suit, which convey strength and determination, this pose here conveys insecurity and vulnurability. Instead of making herself big, she's making herself small by standing with her legs close together, and almost hugging herself with her left arm. She's not pointing her stun gun anywhere. Instead, it's just hanging there.

Unlike her Power Suit, which looks like hard and cold metal, Samus's lower body looks soft. Very, very soft. Note how big her backside is compared to her head or her waist. Note how her thighs rub together. Her physical condition is further revealed by her upper body which isn't flabby, but slim and untoned.

The pose conveys that Samus is insecure and therefore needs to advance carefully. Perfect for the gameplay ahead. The soft and flabby lower part of her body conveys that she's definitely weaker without her power suit, so the player understands he cannot just run and gun anymore. The conditions have changed.

Compare to a scene where Samus would have had an action pose, pointing her gun at the camera while looking dangerous. Where her body would've looked firm and fit. The player would then have rushed into combat believing that Samus was still very strong. And then he would've been confused and disappointed when he couldn't kill the space pirates with a single shot anymore.

Do you agree with my analysis? Hopefully you don't, because discussion is always most interesting when people have different opinions, and can back these opinions with well thought arguments.

EDIT: Yeah I know there's text at this scene as well where the stun gun is revealed to be rather useless.
Q08i.gif

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
You know the scene:

MOjhZGP.png

1) Samus's pose

Paging thicc_girls_are_teh_best thicc_girls_are_teh_best , you are needed here ASAP :).

Kuranghi

Heartily agree... and I'm more of a diddy-man so no bias here.

I just finished the four 2D metroids for the first time a few months back and I honestly can't say what one I liked best, I played in this order: ZM, AM2R, SM and M:F.

I thought ZM was immense, then I started AM2R and thought it had some great improvements (I'm aware thats its not official but I have no interest in the original version and don't have a 3DS to play M:SR) and was also immense. Then I played SM and thought the physics sucked for 30 mins and then got used to it and loved it also. Fusion was also amazing but I found the bosses to be a bit unforgiving and probably wouldn't have beaten it without save states, damn you Nightmare! *shakes fist*

Sybb

Banned
Sorry, but I was laughing my ass off while reading all this :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Why?
Heartily agree... and I'm more of a diddy-man so no bias here.

I just finished the four 2D metroids for the first time a few months back and I honestly can't say what one I liked best, I played in this order: ZM, AM2R, SM and M:F.

I thought ZM was immense, then I started AM2R and thought it had some great improvements (I'm aware thats its not official but I have no interest in the original version and don't have a 3DS to play M:SR) and was also immense. Then I played SM and thought the physics sucked for 30 mins and then got used to it and loved it also. Fusion was also amazing but I found the bosses to be a bit unforgiving and probably wouldn't have beaten it without save states, damn you Nightmare! *shakes fist*
Sorry but... that has nothing to do with this topic, does it?

Kuranghi

Why?

Well I was just trying to say I appreciated these games and the attention to detail and world building was a big part of it.

The first line of my reply was "I heartily agree...", I don't have much else to add to your analysis.

I agree with the rest. These are the kinds of details and continuity that make Nintendo games resonate so much.
Crazy we look back at that era and think "good times" because right now is an absolute nightmare of fake political correctness.

John Day

Why?

if you are going to disregard every post, weather they agree with you or not, then this thread is not gonna work.

You want discusion, or want to make an statement?

Sybb

Banned
By the way, her pose is a simple contrapposto, where the artist is shifting her weight away from her injured arm. It isn't that deep
But is her arm injured?
if you are going to disregard every post, weather they agree with you or not, then this thread is not gonna work.

You want discusion, or want to make an statement?
I'm not disregarding. I'm just challenging people to a deeper discussion.

Last edited:

Rodolink

i like your analysis and makes total sense in terms of narrative design, but I highly doubt the devs thought about this and instead the artist browsed girl backs he/she liked and made the concept art.

teezzy

Banned
The 2000s were my favorite decade ever.

I miss smoking cigarette butts we'd found in the public ash tray with mall goths all day and just being a shit heads. Getting kicked out so often by the security guard that he actually began to befriend us - even bought me a wallet once!

Stealing all the free samples at Panera Bread because we couldn't afford to eat due to spending all of our money getting drunk in the woods with homeless people who we'd convince to buy us cheap gin due to being underage. It was such a fun era for me. Nu metal everywhere, sexy, edgy. Tough Crowd with Collin Quinn was a thing, Girls Gone Wild commercials, Howard Stern on E!, South Park at its peak, Opie and Anthony dominated the airwaves, and I discovered my love of weed all while stealing books from the school library like a white trash nerd delinquent.

Jesus Christ - take me back. Game Boy Advance, Gamecube, original Xbox, motherfucing PS2!!! Buying second hand Dreamcast games for rat piss prices. Aaaah

Rodolink

And what makes you think so?
well, I'm not saying all Japanese devs are like this, but fanservice there is a given, and also again im not disregarding but maybe the artist references where females without athletic bodies just because he/she liked them like that, its all I'm saying.
I mean is not Last of Us or shadow of the Colossus type of game where they did thought of these kind of things for art sakes.

Sybb

Banned
well, I'm not saying all Japanese devs are like this, but fanservice there is a given, and also again im not disregarding but maybe the artist references where females without athletic bodies just because he/she liked them like that, its all I'm saying.
I mean is not Last of Us or shadow of the Colossus type of game where they did thought of these kind of things for art sakes.
That's certainly possible. But do you think the artist can decide that himself? Because I think anything Samus will have to be approved before making it into the game. For example, the artist might do something on orders from the lead artist, and the lead artist reports to the director (for example).

What I'm saying is that going by your explanation, I think it's more likely that the team decided they wanted Samus to have an unfit backside, maybe based on what they think would be a popular look in the US, which has always been the biggest market for Metroid. What do you think about that?

Belmonte

Yeah. I agree that probably make her feel vulnerable at that part was the intent. Artists study the psychology of the human form all the time. How to make the character feel brave, sad, intimidated, etc...

Why the scene is infamous I don't have any clue. This is a very appropriate shot. I really don't get it. Samus is without her weapons and armor against an army of space pirates. And to make matters worse, it is her first mission.

Rodolink

That's certainly possible. But do you think the artist can decide that himself? Because I think anything Samus will have to be approved before making it into the game. For example, the artist might do something on orders from the lead artist, and the lead artist reports to the director (for example).

What I'm saying is that going by your explanation, I think it's more likely that the team decided they wanted Samus to have an unfit backside, maybe based on what they think would be a popular look in the US, which has always been the biggest market for Metroid. What do you think about that?
uh no no, specially US, thats more asiatic (imo) and that team was small so if not the artist decision directly then guided by the game director.

Sybb

Banned
Yeah. I agree that probably make her feel vulnerable at that part was the intent. Artists study the psychology of the human form all the time. How to make the character feel brave, sad, intimidated, etc...

Why the scene is infamous I don't have any clue. This is a very appropriate shot. I really don't get it. Samus is without her weapons and armor against an army of space pirates. And to make matters worse, it is her first mission.
It's infamous because it's an ass shot. It's also infamous because her butt has never before or since looked so fat. Yeah I know people will laugh at that, but that's how it is. But I made this thread because I don't think that was the intention from the developers.

Other M suffered a lot from people's subjective headcanons. Zero Mission didn't suffer from that, but just because you show a sexy girl with a big booty doesn't mean that's the focus.

Last edited:

Jeeves

I don't see why it's hard for some people to imagine that this was drawn while thinking thinking both "she should look vulnerable here to signify the story/gameplay shift" and "this is a good opportunity for fanservice". It's people's job to make these kinds of considerations.

Belmonte

It's infamous because it's an ass shot. It's also infamous because her butt has never before or since looked so fat. Yeah I know people will laugh at that, but that's how it is. But I made this thread because I don't think that was the intention from the developers.

Other M suffered a lot from people's subjective headcanons. Zero Mission didn't suffer from that, but just because you show a sexy girl with a big booty doesn't mean that's the focus.

Oh.....right. I get it now.

Excuse my lack of perception. I'm South American, this kind of proportion is what I see all day.

Fuck I think she looks great, like the Samus suit did all the work when moving so she is just normal.

The whole image is great, it's infamous because we can't have nice things.
Just think of the children that had their first wank to this and let's thank Nintendo.

In my days it was Laras triangles, we've come a long way

Last edited:
Top Bottom