• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga that could be adapted to big budget movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fresh off the Naruto announcement of "This won't go well at all" I sit there thinking…what could work well in a big screen format? I'm of the opinion that manga/anime in which the main character is a kid with these tremendous earth shattering powers just does not translate, I just can't suspend my disbelief tbh.

Cowboy Bebop - Honestly this one I feel would be the hardest to fuck up, the world and characters are pretty grounded; it would take done work to rely fuck it up. Not to say it'd be easy to make amazing. Also helps the main character is an adult.

Berserk - Given the success of shows like GoT, this could work but only with an R rating. It pretty much would fall apart under a PG rating. Some things may have to be grounded just a tad

Monster - Would make a great movie really though I imagine most people wouldn't really care much for it.

Outlaw Star - Same reason as Cowboy Bebop

Macross Plus - The movie Stealth does NOT count! Arguably the only one from the Macross series that could work. The whole "idol is rampant AI" is pretty easy to translate to the big screen without viewers wondering wtf they're watching And why the pink haired girl randomly burst into song and why did said music destroy/disrupt the aliens.

Blood The Last Vampire - They tried it once, put as much effort into as I did this thread. Should take cues from Blade for the reboot, it can definitely work. Always cracked me up how much they put into making this the next big franchise back when the original OVA dropped, even I fell victim to the hype.

Black Lagoon - Would definitely work, I keep thinking of the aesthetics of Smoking Aces when I imagine this coming to the big screen

Prior to creating this thread I had quite a few more to list but as I wrote I forgot, my memory sucks nowadays le sigh.

robotuw

Monster is the best answer. That show is so short on anime-isms you could just use the same script and direction.

Mediking

Some manga panels DO NOT translate to anime well and barely translate to movies.

I love Bleach manga and I can't stand Bleach anime.

But.... But.....

Black Cat manga could work.

Kaiterra

Banned
Gunsmith Cats would be awesome. I mean it's even set in Chicago, with mostly American characters. You'd have to tweak Minnie May's backstory and appearance but besides that it's pretty much good to go straight up.

RainForce

Banned
Masturbation Master Kurosawa.

Not joking, it would be an amazing heartwarming drama with the right direction.

Edit: Ah, missed big budget.

Monster ala David Fincher.

So you keep it ambiguous for half of with the possibility that he may have done it (see Gone Girl) rather than reveal the true villain so early.

Eumi

I legitimately think a Micheal Bay Gurren Lagann would be pretty solid. They have similar humour, view on women, fetishisation of explosions and giant robots, an easy link to Transformers movies for an invested audience. Just age up Simon and Yoko and you've got yourself an outline for a Summer Blockbuster.

TissueBox

Monster...well, it has potential, but is already perfectly fine in its medium if you ask me and might not be sutiable for 'big-budget' cinema. The anime was almost a perfect adaptation, the manga was almost perfectly compelling; but they're both pretty long-winded and maybe even a bit overly convoluted, not sure if I'd like to see them try to adapt it to the big screen in a 2-hour window bankrolled by some studio for large profits. >_< That's more to do with my desire to see its name untarnished though, lol, it really would suck to see it commercialized in an unfitting way.

An HBO series is a better option imo.

Platy

Berserk cannot. HBO series maybe but you cannot make a satisfying movie out of that.

It needs to be a story that gives you closure without taking too long.

FLCL for example is a much more closed story... but adapting it to a live action would be a disservice =P

So my vote is the Rurouni Kenshin prequel OVAs. Simple story of an assassin searching for redemption and the irony of the women he loves have a loved one killed by him

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I've been waiting decades for the Gunnm/Battle Angel Alita/Ashen Victor Hollywood movie...

James Cameron plz.

Wolf's Rain. I'm surprised it's never even mentioned amongst those properties that could potentially be turned into a live action movie.

collige

Banned
Glyceride would make for a fucking terrifying short film. They could easily pad it out to be full length

Bokura no Hentai could probably work as a show. Could be shortened into a movie.

Perfect Blue already exists (kind of).

5cm/second could be translated pretty directly.

I've been waiting decades for the Gunnm/Battle Angel Alita/Ashen Victor Hollywood movie...

James Cameron plz.

Came in here to post this too.

A dream of mine was having FMA brotherhood adapted into 4 films or something but then that transitioned into a live action HBO series since that would do it more justice.
However the current live action FMA movie in the making is killing the dream right now.

Permanently A

The first two arcs of Jojo can each be their own movie.

The third arc, with some significant cutting of the weaker fights might work.

The fourth arc perhaps but it would be a completely different beast. You couldn't have the slow meandering slice of life pace of the manga. You would need to make it solely about Kira, which would probably kill its charm.

Fifth part, maybe? I barely remember it because of the awful translations.

Sixth part, yeah, its fairly linear and has one villain the whole time.

Seventh part absolutely, but it would have to be split into two movies. Can't fit all that goodness into 2 hours.

James Cameron plz.

The Battle Angel Alita film has already started filming with Robert Rodriguez at the helm and James Cameron co producing and the title being changed to Alita: Battle Angel.

Q8Hsj9l.jpg

Record of Lodoss War. Go for that LOTR audience who were disappointed by The Hobbit!

kirblar

Monster...well, it has potential, but is already perfectly fine in its medium if you ask me and might not be sutiable for 'big-budget' cinema. The anime was almost a perfect adaptation, the manga was almost perfectly compelling; but they're both pretty long-winded and maybe even a bit overly convoluted, not sure if I'd like to see them try to adapt it to the big screen in a 2-hour window bankrolled by some studio for large profits. >_< That's more to do with my desire to see its name untarnished though, lol, it really would suck to see it commercialized in an unfitting way.

An HBO series is a better option imo.
Monster definitely runs too long on the back end and could use some editing there.

robotuw

Wasn't Del Toro pitching a live action series to HBO a few years back?

I saw that rumor too. The last I heard of it was an AMA Del Toro did a while back and I think he said it was on permanent hold, along with his Mountains of Madness adaptation. Oh what could have been...

TheChaos0

James Cameron plz.

Well, it's still coming (2018!? maybe...) but Cameron is not directing it himself, which is a disappointment. He's the producer though and doing the screenplay.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Monster could be done without even having to adapt that much. It's basically like The Fugitive, and that was a hugely popular tv show and movie in the States. It would be a tough sell for one movie though. You could cut things down and lazer focus on Tenma's storyline but you'd lose a lot of what made the series compelling.

Cowboy Bebop is doable. I don't know if people would actually go see it, but it isn't something you would have to stretch too much to imagine working on screen with real people.

LordKasual

Banned
Cowboy Bebop - Honestly this one I feel would be the hardest to fuck up, the world and characters are pretty grounded; it would take done work to rely fuck it up. Not to say it'd be easy to make amazing. Also helps the main character is an adult.

Cowboy Bebop is so exceedingly easy to fuck up that I don't want hollywood to touch it. The anime was quite culture rich and the subtle things about why I love it so much could easily be overdone or missed entirely by hollywood.

I'd love for Berserk to happen, but if Game of Thrones gets flak for the stuff it shows, Berserk would never see the light of day.

I'd like to see Eva made into a live action. That would be quite interesting just from a CG standpoint.

Platy

Lots of shoujos can be turned into a movie ... would not even need to be big budget =P

Specialy the "girl wants to get the hot dude" ones

Qurupeke

Macross Plus - The movie Stealth does NOT count! Arguably the only one from the Macross series that could work. The whole "idol is rampant AI" is pretty easy to translate to the big screen without viewers wondering wtf they're watching And why the pink haired girl randomly burst into song and why did said music destroy/disrupt the aliens.

I bet they'd name it Robotech.

The first two arcs of Jojo can each be their own movie.

The third arc, with some significant cutting of the weaker fights might work.

The fourth arc perhaps but it would be a completely different beast. You couldn't have the slow meandering slice of life pace of the manga. You would need to make it solely about Kira, which would probably kill its charm.

Fifth part, maybe? I barely remember it because of the awful translations.

Sixth part, yeah, its fairly linear and has one villain the whole time.

Seventh part absolutely, but it would have to be split into two movies. Can't fit all that goodness into 2 hours.
Jojo's parts starting with part 3 have a heavy monster of the week element that you'd need to deal with to make them into a movie. Even with the great moments like D'arby the gambler it'd be hard to work them well into a movie because as far as the main plot goes they're kind of tangential. On the one hand this means it's easy to cut a lot of the fights, but on the other it makes it harder to tie the charm and fun of each arc into a single coherent movie. I guess for something like part 3 you could do a montage or something as they travel and focus more on Egypt though

Sesha

All I want is Kongou Banchou

I guess manga like Vinland Saga, Kokou no Hito and Blame! could be feasibly adapted into big budget films.

James Cameron plz.

Well, it's happening, with Robert Rodriguez directing, Cameron producing, and a likely reduced budget.

LotusHD

Banned
Part of what makes stuff like Monster or 20th Century Boy so good though is the masterful suspense within the stories. Having panels or scenes slowly build up to show off this new or old character suddenly back in the story was always one of the highlights whenever I read the author's works. It doesn't feel like it'd translate as well on the big screen.

Furthermore, his stuff is just better as a slow burn, so it feels pretty difficult to capture that effectively as a movie. I mean, of course, it can be done, but... meh. It'd just feels like they'd be knowingly making an inferior adaptation. (Though I'd probably still consider watching it lol) Lol, this is probably how people about Game of Thrones as a TV show. But hey, it does make it more accessible to people who just don't bother w/ anime/manga, and could even create new fans, so I guess I shouldn't be against stuff like this. (Putting aside the fact that anime/manga adaptations in general seem to always suck)

As someone stated earlier, I could see Erased working well.

Quixzlizx

My first thought was Black Lagoon, but OP already covered it.

My second thought was Jin-Roh, and apparently the first two movies in this franchise WERE live-action.

Steel Ball Run directed by Tarantino would be godlike. Psycho Pass would also make a great sci-fi detective movie like minority report.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom