• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga that could be adapted to big budget movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbayne

I always wondered how Gundam would translate as a big budget action movie.

No need for a direct adaption. Might as well Edge of Tommorrow it, you know. But keep the core elements-ie soap opera storylines, bad acting, big battles, big mechs, light bit of politics, slapping-it be great.

Kalentan

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood could make a good Film Trilogy or maybe an HBO series.

Still have near 0 hopes for the current live-action movie being made.

It's like Hollywood would love to adapt stuff that maybe isn't suited so well for Western audiences and will require whitewashing but then the stuff like AoT or FMA are ignored despite being perfect.

No need for a direct adaption. Might as well Edge of Tommorrow it, you know. But keep the core elements-ie soap opera storylines, bad acting, big battles, big mechs, light bit of politics, slapping-it be great.

Original Gundam could honestly work really well since a lot of the episodes are more vignettes than necessary and I've heard people suggest the best way to experience the original is through the compilation movie trilogy anyways

Kaiterra

Banned
I think a Trigun duology could be pretty good too. Title the first one Trigun and the second Trigun Maximum. Introduce the cast and have Legato be the main antagonist in the first one and then go on to finish off the Gung-Ho Guns (who you can probably cut like half of) and deal with Knives in the second. Have the reveal of Vash's true nature come near or at the end of the first film.

Epcott

Deadman Wonderland (but fix that final half)
Food Wars
BECK Mongolian Chop Squad
Michiko and Hatchin

I wonder if GitS does well, will they do Dominion Tank Police and Appleseed? Have like a live action Shirow Cinematic Universe?

SalvaPot

I don't know how this would be adapted considering Punpun is a cartoon bird who doesn't speak, and so much of the impact of the work is precisely because of his depiction

Punpun is a cardboard cutout properly (crudely) animated, everything else is live action and played straight. It will have the same impact and contrast if done properly.

The budget is invested in the fucked-up sequences with "God" and Punpun's imagination.

Ridley327

I think the original series would adapt really well, as the anime film trilogy did a pretty solid job of covering the major thrust of the story without feeling like it cut out all that much (well, Operation Odessa aside). I'd just be worried if they tried to tone down the ambiguity of both sides, since that's a major driver for the entire story.

Competent people adapt anything. The biggest problem is the serialization format which is based on narrative structures hard to translate to 2 hour movies. That tends to be much harder than the content or the visual style.

But off course there are things that seem easier to adapt than other. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is a franchise waiting to happen.

Hajime no Ippo should be easy..

Ippo is very much a show about the japanese context. You simply can't relocate-it without changing everything about it.

Sci-Fi series are the easiest to do. You can't do Gundam or primarily mech shows obviously since the CG wouldn't hold up for 2 hours especially when it has to move all the time.

But Legend of the Galactic Heroes would be a great series to adapt, it works and translates perfectly. How am I the first to suggest it?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Wasn't Del Toro pitching a live action series to HBO a few years back?

Yeah I knew one of the guys working on making it happen. He actually came to me as the talks of the show were starting as he'd never heard of it but knew I was well aware of a lot of anime and manga. Sad news but Its dead jim, much like a lot of other Del Toro's projects.

FMA would be a perfect candidate for a Hollywood movie franchise. As weird as it sounds, FMA live-action would feel more authentic with a Western cast. The characters and setting are already Western, so much so that it feels weird to have Japanese actors playing the characters for once.

Plus the crazy alchemy, powers, monsters, and characters feel like they need a big Hollywood budget.

zeemumu

Berserk would probably be beyond anything GoT has had, and they
shanked a pregnant woman.

I'd say Hellsing but in a way we kinda have that split between multiple currently existing vampire films.

I feel like the most viable anime and manga franchises in this regard are those which are more... archetypal, I guess. Ie, where they're popularly known for their general concepts, rather than through having a strict, core narrative.

Example: Mazinger Z. Next to no-one actually looks to the original manga in terms of the 'core Mazinger canon', and even diehards would be hard pressed to remember every episode of the original series. Any team working on such an adaptation would be at liberty to do what they want so long as they maintained the basic premise. That being a young man inheriting his grandfather's legacy (a giant robot) and having to decide what precisely he wants to do with its awesome power (to be god or the devil, etc). Considering how well the world latched onto the character of Spider-Man and his whole 'with great power comes great responsibility' schtick in film form, there's clear precedent for bringing that sort of story to the big screen. Plus, any tropes too particular for wider audience tastes could be eased down, because they aren't visually core to the franchise.

From a production point of view, the nature of the franchise's storytelling would actually permit being careful with the budget, and save the big money for when the creators really need the special effects. See, while Mazinger Z is supposed to be a nigh-indestructible fortress that spends its time onscreen punching lesser robots into oblivion, that is exactly why a number of the main villain's plots (said villain going by Doctor Hell btw) revolve around killing the main hero before he can get in the damned thing. So you can have more affordable, low-key action sequences to go alongside the much more demanding robot fights, where the hero's relative vulnerability would maintain tension. Plus, Doctor Hell's not the sort of villain who needs to be entirely defeated in order for the story to resolve itself - thus a film could climax on taking out his latest and baddest machine, setting his plans back until the sequel.

In essence, take the Marvel approach with this, and it could work.

HStallion

I'd say Hellsing but in a way we kinda have that split between multiple currently existing vampire films.

Berserk's biggest issues would be the budget to even do it a fraction of the justice possible and the content of many parts which makes Game of Thrones look like the Muppet Babies. Not only that but casting and shooting many parts would require a helluva talented cast and crew. I'd almost prefer if it was something shot like True Detective with a singular creative vision behind the entire show instead of different directors and such for every episode.

Berserk will never be done live action.

It's just not feasible, you can't do The Eclipse and have it not either look ridiculous, or be so profoundly fucked up that it destroys the notion of horror in every movie before or since.

SalvaPot

Competent people adapt anything. The biggest problem is the serialization format which is based on narrative structures hard to translate to 2 hour movies. That tends to be much harder than the content or the visual style.

But off course there are things that seem easier to adapt than other. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is a franchise waiting to happen.

Ippo is very much a show about the japanese context. You simply can't relocate-it without changing everything about it.

Hip "Little Steps" Makanouchi is a half-japanese american timid boy from the outskirts of a Philadelphia in the good old US of A. Only son of a Japanese dad and american mom, his father, a fisherman, died tragically years ago in a boat fishing accident, leaving only him and his mother to take care of their boating family business. Having to dedicate all his free time helping, he has little time to make friends. One fateful day, while been pestered by bullies, he is helped by a mean-looking man. This man happens to be a rising boxing superstar, Mark Takamura, a person as strong as he is assholish. Little did Hip know that this encounter will change his path in life forever.

I'm with the OP when it comes to Macross Plus. I've always thought it would be the most translatable to the big screen if they were to turn one of the Macross series into a live action movie. The dog fights in the series were just incredible and I'd love to see that with a big budget. The story although not amazing is good enough. Better than any of the Transformer movies which gets butts in seats just to watch transformable robots go at it.

Although I'd love to see the original Macross as a live action movie as well it would have to have at least two parts. Although a trilogy would work best for it IMO.

HStallion

Berserk will never be done live action.

It's just not feasible, you can't do The Eclipse and have it not either look ridiculous, or be so profoundly fucked up that it destroys the notion of horror in every movie before or since.

But don't you want to hear your random coworker talking about that cliffhanger ending to season 1?

Gee Frozen Prince did you tune into HBO last night and catch the ending to that Berserker Show? I was yelling at Griffon from my sofa! What's going to happen to Cassandra and Gots now?

Ippo would be a shit movie because Ippo as a character hasn't evolved at all in 25 years.

You can get one movie up to the Mashiba fight, but a film that's just nothing but 4-5 boxing matches (you need to do more than one fight before Mashiba) sounds boring AF.

Ridley327

Hellsing's biggest problem is that there aren't going to be too many people forking over a lot of dough to make something that revolves around a mix of the supernatural and Nazis. That's always been low budget territory, and you would not be able to do Alucard's powers or any of the insane crap that goes on in the last couple of volumes without a big budget.

I've always wondered if a sports style shonen like Ippo could translate well into a TV series. Less room for error than something supernatural but the whole idea formatting a show around the build up of a boxer from the very start over a long run that chronicles the training, comedy and fights against interesting opponents

I've always wondered if a sports style shonen like Ippo could translate well into a TV series. Less room for error than something supernatural but the whole idea formatting a show around the build up of a boxer from the very start over a long run that chronicles the training, comedy and fights against interesting opponents

The first one would need to be like 2 1/2 hours long.

Kuroko might work if you just go full stupid and make them have superpowers like they do in the series. Touch I think you could do.

Jyu-Oh-Sei is basically a young adult novel movie or CW show.

Gundam 0080 could be sci-fi Empire of the Sun, sort of.

Hikaru no Go, but probably not about go.

One Outs would be amazing.

Hip "Little Steps" Makanouchi is a half-japanese american timid boy from the outskirts of a Philadelphia in the good old US of A. Only son of a Japanese dad and american mom, his father, a fisherman, died tragically years ago in a boat fishing accident, leaving only him and his mother to take care of their boating family business. Having to dedicate all his free time helping, he has little time to make friends. One fateful day, while been pestered by bullies, he is helped by a mean-looking man. This man happens to be a rising boxing superstar, Mark Takamura, a person as strong as he is assholish. Little did Hip know that this encounter will change his path in life forever.

If Takamura was american we would actually be Brian Hawk eheh.

Bible Black wouldn't be that bad, Rogue one had that
giant tentacle monster scene
. Maybe we're ready to take the next step.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom