• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another iPhone 8 leak emerges, new color.

First time hearing this. Why even have different color options besides black? Black bezel + silver edges + white back is going to look awful.

The rumor is that due to the deep blacks of the OLED, Apple is only making the front of the iPhone 8 in black so it looks like one seamless sheet of black.

The rumor is that due to the deep blacks of the OLED, Apple is only making the front of the iPhone 8 in black so it looks like one seamless sheet of black.

Good. That model that MKBHD had in his video (White front) looked horrendous
VFdjwb3.jpg
For some reason reminds me of

Daffy Duck

All these random specs and price leaks are making me just want to upgrade to a 7 now and avoid all that early adopter tax mobile providers like to add to deals at the launch of a new handset.

I really don't use my phone for much aside from browsing the net and social media and I just want a new phone after 2 years of my 6S.

I just expect the 128Gb 7S/8 to be so expensive I think it will turn me off.

Draper

I refuse to believe there will be a white front- that shit looks hideous.

Unless they change the status bar color for that option?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
They will either have black faces or color match the back glass. No reason for white (and it would look bad.)

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Also I think Gruber is onto something. These will all be just iPhones or iPhone 8. The 7s won't be a thing imo. they may mention it in the keynote like "these or so revolutionary and magical that we skipped the 7s" blah blah.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Also I think Gruber is onto something. These will all be just iPhones or iPhone 8. The 7s won't be a thing imo. they may mention it in the keynote like "these or so revolutionary and magical that we skipped the 7s" blah blah.

I hope they go that route. No need to crowd the market with two giant bezel phones along side your sleek new design, but I just don't think they will.

I don't think they can produce enough of these new devices to get them out, also that would leave them with one size and one model (aside from color and storage). I don't think Apple goes to one iPhone again.

They'll slowly phase out the bezel models (at the very least the Plus models). I'd guess they end up with the "regular" iPhone and the bezel-less iPhone.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I hope they go that route. No need to crowd the market with two giant bezel phones along side your sleek new design, but I just don't think they will.

I don't think they can produce enough of these new devices to get them out, also that would leave them with one size and one model (aside from color and storage). I don't think Apple goes to one iPhone again.

They'll slowly phase out the bezel models (at the very least the Plus models). I'd guess they end up with the "regular" iPhone and the bezel-less iPhone.
No no there will be 7Ss with giant bezel, it will just be called the 8 :p

iPhone 8, 8 Plus, and 8 Pro
or
just iPhone, Plus and Pro

Black iPhone 8 is going to be IMPOSSIBLE to get for months on end

That white front looks hideous. Though I think all white fronts look hideous and look down on those who get them

Well, this is somewhere between the regular and the plus in size; but the screen is larger than the plus.

Also, Gruber isn't saying that a 7S and 7S+ models won't happen, just that they won't be called 7S and 7S+ because the new tech will justify it, even if its not the edge to edge stuff.

They really should just phase out the Plus model and replace it with the bezel-less model.

They will, just not this year.. I think long term, the iPhone Pro is gonna replace the regular and plus sizes, and the iPhone SE becomes the second size, updated more regularly, and eventually also made edge to edge.

Apple has used this playbook before: the Macbook Air was originally a premium, more expensive model but it also planted a flag to where they wanted to go. Eventually the air replaced / outsold the regular Macbook.

timshundo

Well, this is somewhere between the regular and the plus in size; but the screen is larger than the plus.

Also, Gruber isn't saying that a 7S and 7S+ models won't happen, just that they won't be called 7S and 7S+ because the new tech will justify it, even if its not the edge to edge stuff.

They will, just not this year.. I think long term, the iPhone Pro is gonna replace the regular and plus sizes, and the iPhone SE becomes the second size, updated more regularly, and eventually also made edge to edge.

Apple has used this playbook before: the Macbook Air was originally a premium, more expensive model but it also planted a flag to where they wanted to go. Eventually the air replaced / outsold the regular Macbook.

I actually don't agree with Gruber on this prediction. I think there could be a huge population of people that want a new phone but don't want to pay for ALL of the new features the 8 will have to offer. I think a glass back for inductive charging, camera upgrades, and processor upgrades are all some people would want for a an "S" line of iphones, maybe even a storage bump or a price drop from what the 7 is now as incentive to buy. And then the people who want OLED + crazy cameras + face scanning + whatever for $1000+ can get the 8, which can be billed as "phone of the future, reinvention of the phone as we know it, years ahead" to justify what will be a crazy premium price, again, just like the MBAir.

I guess I'm thinking theres no rule that says a 7S isn't allowed to have a big visual design change such as a glass back. If anything it could be an advantage to this year's lineup so people don't feel like they're getting ANOTHER phone design thats based off the old iPhone 6.

But then yeah when 2018 iPhone rolls around the lineup can be discounted iPhone 7s, more affordable iPhone 8, and then an iPhone 8S with minor upgrades over the 8 and a slight price drop. :)

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
They really should just phase out the Plus model and replace it with the bezel-less model.
My guess is next year they will add a plus size OLED bezel less. Then they will take the whole line there the next year. They can't reach capacity on OLED now. It's not possible.

Black iPhone 8 is going to be IMPOSSIBLE to get for months on end

That white front looks hideous. Though I think all white fronts look hideous and look down on those who get them

Co-sign. White phones have always looked horrible but this is another level of ugly.

Red

Could be they coordinate status bar colors depending on model, so it blends in with whatever the front bezel color is when the screen is on. Similar to current boot screens colored differently for different models.

Guess Who

Banned
Could be they coordinate status bar colors depending on model, so it blends in with whatever the front bezel color is when the screen is on. Similar to current boot screens colored differently for different models.

This only works with black because OLED blacks are pure black (as in, there's no backlight that still creates any sort of light). It'd be basically impossible to create the same "seamless" look with white.

Red

This only works with black because OLED blacks are pure black (as in, there's no backlight that still creates any sort of light). It'd be basically impossible to create the same "seamless" look with white.
Yes. But it would seem strange to me if they did not at least try to camouflage the notch.

jts

...hate me...
White bezel looks just as good - or bad - as any other white bezel iOS device beforehand. In about 8 iOS devices I've bought I've exclusively chosen the black bezel because I like the almost seamless blend with the display, OLED or not. White bezel has always broke that illusion way more. So if you tolerated the white bezel before, why shouldn't you be given the choice of a white bezel now? In practical terms it's the same.

Nevertheless, the Apple Watch seems like a good indicator that Apple is going black bezels with OLED.

White bezel looks just as good - or bad - as any other white bezel iOS device beforehand. In about 8 iOS devices I've bought I've exclusively chosen the black bezel because I like the almost seamless blend with the display, OLED or not. White bezel has always broke that illusion way more. So if you tolerated the white bezel before, why shouldn't you be given the choice of a white bezel now? In practical terms it's the same.

Nevertheless, the Apple Watch seems like a good indicator that Apple is going black bezels with OLED.
Yeah, if white front phones didn't always have the little black gap between the screen and the edge, I'd actually consider getting them.

Erebus

The white front looks super ugly not only due to the odd screen cutout at the top (to accommodate the sensors notch) but also because the side bezels are still as thick as the current models from the looks of it.
I sure hope they've decided against it and only kept the black front.

So with only about 1 month to go until the official announcement, I assume that design is pretty much final, right?

DonShula

The white front looks super ugly not only due to the odd screen cutout at the top (to accommodate the sensors notch) but also because the side bezels are still as thick as the current models from the looks of it.
I sure hope they've decided against it and only kept the black front.

So with only about 1 month to go until the official announcement, I assume that design is pretty much final, right?

That looks like a cheap clip-on case. Surely it's not the retail unit.

DonShula

I know this is a dummy non-functional phone but in terms of design these things were pretty accurate in the past.

This is a good point - I thought for sure the outlines on that first model were prototype stuff at the time , but sure enough they were on the retail unit.

Top Bottom