• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthem | PS4 vs ONE vs PS4 Pro vs ONE X | Graphics Comparison / Framerate Test.

Mista

Banned
The frame rates test made me realize that the game has weird drops in weird moments that it shouldn’t drop :/

Damn the XBox One version seems to be running in slow motion :/

But the FR is bad in all plats :(

EDIT: texture pop in is horrible at some points holy shit! Also 24 fps on XbX, LOL

Last edited:
At the end of the day, surely we know how this tests are going to turn out? The more powerful hardware will generally have the better performance. It goes without saying.

But regardless, it's an EA game. That should be all the deterrent people need.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
The more powerful hardware will generally have the better performance.

Except here it doesn't; the X is more powerful than the Pro and it has worse performance. Game looks pretty badly optimised, honestly. I'm sure PC will be fine at least.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Played it on both PS4 Pro and Xbox One X (tonight gonna try on my PC), but the game is identical on both consoles. Nice try Mike Ybarra....hahahaa

BigLee74

Knickers in twist already over a poor comparison on old demo code. Lets wait until its release shall we? Or too much sense?

ethomaz

Banned
The more powerful hardware will generally have the better performance. It goes without saying.
Not always... there are cases where weaker hardware runs better than stronger.

Engine and optimization play a big role in performance.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Knickers in twist already over a poor comparison on old demo code. Lets wait until its release shall we? Or too much sense?

When this is the VIP demo, not beta that you're providing to people that have already bought the game, and that game comes out in less than a month, I think it's reasonable for those people to upset that the game doesn't perform well.

Last edited:

Fbh

Damn that rough, specially on the base consoles. This definitely needs a "performance boost" mode that pushes back resolution/graphics enough for it to stick closer to the 30fps targed.

It also desperately needs a 30fps lock. The only thing more stuttery than a game constantly dropping below 30fps is one constantly going both below and above 30fps

mcz117chief

Dont 90-95% (possibly a larger percentage) of multiplats run/look better on the “X”?
I am pretty sure it is 100%. I am a huge Sony pony and even I can see that Xbox One X games all look better than on PS4 Pro. Even though the frames on PS4 Pro are better in this demo the Xbox One X obviously wins in the graphical fidelity department.

ethomaz

Banned
I am pretty sure it is 100%. I am a huge Sony pony and even I can see that Xbox One X games all look better than on PS4 Pro. Even though the frames on PS4 Pro are better in this demo the Xbox One X obviously wins in the graphical fidelity department.
There are games that runs better on Pro by Digital Foundry while it is few they make the 100% not true.

That is not the first case and probably not the last.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

There are games that runs better on Pro by Digital Foundry while it is few they make the 100% not true.

That is not the first case and probably not the last.
Yeah, frame rate, but I was talking about graphical fidelity. Is there a game that LOOKS better on PS4 PRO than on Xbox One X?

ethomaz

Banned
Yeah, frame rate, but I was talking about graphical fidelity. Is there a game that LOOKS better on PS4 PRO than on Xbox One X?
His question was about run/look better...

I will check old DF analyst but I don't remember happening in terms of graphic fidelity just performance being below what Pro delivered in some games.

mcz117chief

His question was about run/look better...

I will check old DF analyst but I don't remember happening in terms of graphic fidelity just performance being below what Pro delivered in some games.
Yeah, I know, I was just wondering. Thanks for taking the time though.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

Their is not much of a difference between Pro and X in Anthem. Same story with Ace Combat and Resident Evil 2

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
It's what I told folk in the other thread, there are so many games that has better performance on PS4 PRO, you really don't know till the comparison is done and of course recent history.......

So it looks like Ybarra was wrong again, barring some last minute optimization on the XBOX consoles for launch day......Yet, it's strange that it's most probably the PS consoles needing optimization, since this is an XBOX marketed game....

As for what's seen in the OP and the comparisons.....

The Pro has the better framerate, the X has the better resolution, but not huge.....It's looking like XBONEX at 1800p vs 1620p on PRO or 1620p vs 1440p.....PRO could also be using CB.....

PRO seems to have a framepacing issue, or at least, it's not capped well, it goes from 29-31/32 fps, but it's more consistent in terms of average framerate than XBONEX.......

XBONEX seems to be a 27-28fps game and XBONES seems to be a 25fps game......XBONES seems to have slightly dialed down visuals and the resoution pared back the most and yet can only muster 25fps, the XBONES version hardly sees 30fps.......I always told folk that the three pronged OS of MS has a larger footprint on the CPU than Sony's OS, so there's more CPU resources on PS4, this game shows that to some degree......

Another game with better perf on the PRO, I wonder if they force 1080p in the OS, if the framerate would be locked 30fps on PRO, but Bioware has to something with that cap to 30fps, it's broken...

Freeman76

I just hope they can level out the framerate on XB1X so its a solid 30. I loved the demo, really reminded me of PSO, my favourite game of all times :)

AV

Surely the game won’t be released in this state?

It's already gone gold, so it's shipping like this with a day 1 patch. Hardly surprising in today's industry, but it's still a pretty bad sign.

I'm honestly more worried about content than performance. I'd play an incredible game with a wonky frame consistency, but I'm still not sold on this thing. It looks way too basic. Thankfully the open demo's this weekend.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Had to cancel my preorder. There’s just nothing to this I thought it was, sadly. So I’ll wait for a price drop

Performance, bugs, things like that? Then can be ironed out. But you can’t patch out whack gameplay when it’s what the game is based on.

Oh well...

Kamina

Golden Boy
Framerate looked slightly better on the Pro tbh.
Probably because they are trying to hit a certain resolution threshold on XBX while putting framerate second.

Honestly, performance and visuals are both bad an all platforms and paired with all the other issues I hope that people vote with their wallets that this is not acceptable.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Probably because they are trying to hit a certain resolution threshold on XBX while putting framerate second.

Honestly, performance and visuals are both bad an all platforms and paired with all the other issues I hope that people vote with their wallets that this is not acceptable.
Well, it's not just their fault and decision, they have marketing rights with MS and MS has been pushing this "TRUE 4K" mantra for a while now, even though the box is not capable of doing so on the majority of games.......

Kamina

Golden Boy
Well, it's not just their fault and decision, they have marketing rights with MS and MS has been pushing this "TRUE 4K" mantra for a while now, even though the box is not capable of doing so on the majority of games.......
Agreed. Stable 30 FPS should be base standard over resolution always.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
We get it, you don't like Xbox.

onQ123

It's what I told folk in the other thread, there are so many games that has better performance on PS4 PRO, you really don't know till the comparison is done and of course recent history.......

So it looks like Ybarra was wrong again, barring some last minute optimization on the XBOX consoles for launch day......Yet, it's strange that it's most probably the PS consoles needing optimization, since this is an XBOX marketed game....

As for what's seen in the OP and the comparisons.....

The Pro has the better framerate, the X has the better resolution, but not huge.....It's looking like XBONEX at 1800p vs 1620p on PRO or 1620p vs 1440p.....PRO could also be using CB.....

PRO seems to have a framepacing issue, or at least, it's not capped well, it goes from 29-31/32 fps, but it's more consistent in terms of average framerate than XBONEX.......

XBONEX seems to be a 27-28fps game and XBONES seems to be a 25fps game......XBONES seems to have slightly dialed down visuals and the resoution pared back the most and yet can only muster 25fps, the XBONES version hardly sees 30fps.......I always told folk that the three pronged OS of MS has a larger footprint on the CPU than Sony's OS, so there's more CPU resources on PS4, this game shows that to some degree......

Another game with better perf on the PRO, I wonder if they force 1080p in the OS, if the framerate would be locked 30fps on PRO, but Bioware has to something with that cap to 30fps, it's broken...

A dev said both was 4K , Xbox One X native 4K & PS4 Pro Checkerboard 4K.

But the fact that they look so close says more about how good CBR is.

thelastword

Banned
A dev said both was 4K , Xbox One X native 4K & PS4 Pro Checkerboard 4K.

But the fact that they look so close says more about how good CBR is.
Yes....My only issue with PRO is that Sony don't mandate more CBR from third parties or even from certain first parties like Naughty Dog......

Thing is I don't want CBR going the way of the DODO, it looks excellent, saves perf and I think they can improve it even more if they continue to work with it and do some more R&D work with it...I really want to see CBR next gen, like 8k CBR downscaled to 4k, that would be an IQ man's dream....

Ogbert

Next gen really needs to introduce console owners to the wonder of 60fps.

It's so lame that they're worrying about resolution when games run this badly.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Next gen really needs to introduce console owners to the wonder of 60fps.

It's so lame that they're worrying about resolution when games run this badly.

It isn't the hardware and it isn't the console owners. It is the developers. As long as there are things that they value more than the FPS between 30 and 60 you're not going to get that wonderful 60FPS future.

PaNaMa

Banned
This is a horribly unscientific take, but something funny is going on with these graphics. On PC this weekend, in MSI Afterburner, my GPU utilization and framerate were 99% all the time - no matter if i was in 1080p, or 1440p. No matter if I was on Ultra, High, or a Custom hodge podge. No matter if I had anti aliasing set TXAA, Ultra, or OFF.

So on Ultra 1440p with everything including AA set to max, or at 1080p with AA off and settings turned down to high and or medium, my GPU utilization was still 99%. That's fishy AF.
CPU could bounce between 60-70% but the GPU stayed locked at 99 the whole time.
My CPU is a 5930K running at 4.2Ghz and my GPU is a 980Ti running at ~1380Ghz. Framerates analysis I didn't get a chance to do (blame the twin 7 month olds) but normally reducing graphical settings does change GPU utilization at least somewhat. With Anthem I was redlined no matter what. Lots of people saying on other forums that constant 99% GPU utlization is normal and ideal (this has almost never been my experience in many years of gaming). A dramatic reduction in graphical settings sliders in any game will always restore some GPU overhead. So it's just weird.

onQ123

Yes....My only issue with PRO is that Sony don't mandate more CBR from third parties or even from certain first parties like Naughty Dog......

Thing is I don't want CBR going the way of the DODO, it looks excellent, saves perf and I think they can improve it even more if they continue to work with it and do some more R&D work with it...I really want to see CBR next gen, like 8k CBR downscaled to 4k, that would be an IQ man's dream....

Devs are not going to spend much time on tech when only 1/2 of a user base will benefit from it but I think PS4 Pro is going to reap the benefits from devs adding DNN code to games for DLSS & other ML work after DirectML is released

http://on-demand.gputechconf.com/si...-gpu-inferencing-directml-and-directx-12.html

Ogbert

This is a horribly unscientific take, but something funny is going on with these graphics. On PC this weekend, in MSI Afterburner, my GPU utilization and framerate were 99% all the time - no matter if i was in 1080p, or 1440p. No matter if I was on Ultra, High, or a Custom hodge podge. No matter if I had anti aliasing set TXAA, Ultra, or OFF.

So on Ultra 1440p with everything including AA set to max, or at 1080p with AA off and settings turned down to high and or medium, my GPU utilization was still 99%. That's fishy AF.
My CPU is a 5930K running at 4.2Ghz and my GPU is a 980Ti running at ~1380Ghz. Framerates analysis I didn't get a chance to do (blame the twin 7 month olds) but normally reducing graphical settings does change GPU utilization at least somewhat. With Anthem I was redlined no matter what. Lots of people saying on other forums that constant 99% GPU utlization is normal and ideal (this has almost never been my experience in many years of gaming). A dramatic reduction in graphical settings sliders in any game will always restore some GPU overhead. So it's just weird.

Yeah.

That’s not right.

Didn’t run numbers on my 2070, but it was all over the place in terms of performance.

This sounds very odd. What could be causing this?

Codes 208

And this is why we should get betas months before release, not weeks. This close to release and the performance is this bad? I’m feeling another andromeda debacle coming...

thelastword

Banned
Devs are not going to spend much time on tech when only 1/2 of a user base will benefit from it but I think PS4 Pro is going to reap the benefits from devs adding DNN code to games for DLSS & other ML work after DirectML is released

http://on-demand.gputechconf.com/si...-gpu-inferencing-directml-and-directx-12.html
Yeah, I've seen that and I've seen DLSS too and I'm not impressed with DLSS, maybe Direct ML can give us something better, but I'd still like AMD/SONY and Devs to keep on pushing CBR, I think there's a future there too or at least another option to choose from...

Top Bottom