• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthem | PS4 vs ONE vs PS4 Pro vs ONE X | Graphics Comparison / Framerate Test.

Armorian

Banned
This is a horribly unscientific take, but something funny is going on with these graphics. On PC this weekend, in MSI Afterburner, my GPU utilization and framerate were 99% all the time - no matter if i was in 1080p, or 1440p. No matter if I was on Ultra, High, or a Custom hodge podge. No matter if I had anti aliasing set TXAA, Ultra, or OFF.

So on Ultra 1440p with everything including AA set to max, or at 1080p with AA off and settings turned down to high and or medium, my GPU utilization was still 99%. That's fishy AF.
CPU could bounce between 60-70% but the GPU stayed locked at 99 the whole time.
My CPU is a 5930K running at 4.2Ghz and my GPU is a 980Ti running at ~1380Ghz. Framerates analysis I didn't get a chance to do (blame the twin 7 month olds) but normally reducing graphical settings does change GPU utilization at least somewhat. With Anthem I was redlined no matter what. Lots of people saying on other forums that constant 99% GPU utlization is normal and ideal (this has almost never been my experience in many years of gaming). A dramatic reduction in graphical settings sliders in any game will always restore some GPU overhead. So it's just weird.

Do you use framerate lock or vsync?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Eh, wait for the final game build. I don't see many differences. Digital Foundry will reveal all. These less than professional comparisons mean nothing. Especially not on a demo.

PaNaMa

Banned
Do you use framerate lock or vsync?

I didn't, but it's not like it was pushing 200fps or whatever. But maybe if I limited it to 60 I'd see a drop in utilization. Still, normally I could just drop graphic settings and see lowering of gpu utilization. I will try that in the public beta!

dottme

It isn't the hardware and it isn't the console owners. It is the developers. As long as there are things that they value more than the FPS between 30 and 60 you're not going to get that wonderful 60FPS future.
Exactly. The N64 was already capable of 60FPS like in F-Zero X for example.
It’s just a compromise and you have to decide your priority.

Armorian

Banned
I didn't, but it's not like it was pushing 200fps or whatever. But maybe if I limited it to 60 I'd see a drop in utilization. Still, normally I could just drop graphic settings and see lowering of gpu utilization. I will try that in the public beta!

GPU just renders all frames it can get so that's why it's reporting 99% usage. Looks like this game is not very demanding on CPU since you were solely GPU limited - try 720p :D

This is a horribly unscientific take, but something funny is going on with these graphics. On PC this weekend, in MSI Afterburner, my GPU utilization and framerate were 99% all the time - no matter if i was in 1080p, or 1440p. No matter if I was on Ultra, High, or a Custom hodge podge. No matter if I had anti aliasing set TXAA, Ultra, or OFF.

So on Ultra 1440p with everything including AA set to max, or at 1080p with AA off and settings turned down to high and or medium, my GPU utilization was still 99%. That's fishy AF.
CPU could bounce between 60-70% but the GPU stayed locked at 99 the whole time.
My CPU is a 5930K running at 4.2Ghz and my GPU is a 980Ti running at ~1380Ghz. Framerates analysis I didn't get a chance to do (blame the twin 7 month olds) but normally reducing graphical settings does change GPU utilization at least somewhat. With Anthem I was redlined no matter what. Lots of people saying on other forums that constant 99% GPU utlization is normal and ideal (this has almost never been my experience in many years of gaming). A dramatic reduction in graphical settings sliders in any game will always restore some GPU overhead. So it's just weird.
THat's because this is the best game in terms of optimization ever made. It uses EVERY BIT of performance of any GPU.

/s

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
The game isn't done, all of this talk is premature.

Had the game on x1x and the pro

Game looks much better on the x1x but the hub area was atrocious on both consoles but once ingame I didn’t notice and real differences apart from the pro slowing down in the second part of the mine mission with lots of enemies and it also had some pop in.

The cbr implementation also has some really bad artifacting when enemies spawned in with HDR light effects...didn’t notice this on the x

Gonna wait until the full game and digital foundry as these vids really are not a great measure.

MDSLKTR

Next gen really needs to introduce console owners to the wonder of 60fps.

It's so lame that they're worrying about resolution when games run this badly.
The amount of 60fps games this gen compared to last consoles is a night and day difference. It can only go up from here.

demigod

I came in expecting the res to look better on the xbox one x, but they look practically the same to me(on my iphone atm).

Shmunter

I’m surprised the devs are spouting 60fps rhetoric on consoles. Is that some crazy damage control rhetoric or do they genuinely have an ace up their sleve? Seems like a fantasy at this point.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I’m surprised the devs are spouting 60fps rhetoric on consoles. Is that some crazy damage control rhetoric or do they genuinely have an ace up their sleve? Seems like a fantasy at this point.

If there's more CPU than GPU which some are expecting, then it may be more common, (next gen).

We know most of it issues this gen stem from Jaguar, and not lack of GPU grunt.

So maybe they are thinking next gen talk, lol.

Last edited:

nowhat

The cbr implementation also has some really bad artifacting when enemies spawned in with HDR light effects...didn’t notice this on the x
I wouldn't be surprised to find Pro to be 1800p CBR like ME:A. Artifacts are much more noticeable when the rendering resolution doesn't match the output resolution of the console.

a comparison of a demo that its not even the final version is pointless imo,that's why Digital Foundry didn't do it by now,they are waiting for the released version

a comparison of a demo that its not even the final version is pointless imo,that's why Digital Foundry didn't do it by now,they are waiting for the released version

I don’t think it’s totally pointless. Often times it provides a baseline of what to expect, with the final product maybe having minor tweaks and changes

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised to find Pro to be 1800p CBR like ME:A. Artifacts are much more noticeable when the rendering resolution doesn't match the output resolution of the console.
Yeah it was weird....reminded me of the cbr solution done on monster hunter

Pretty much anything with an alpha or volumetric light ends up looking checkered and blocky..the vid pointed out the x1x having the same issue but I didn’t notice it.

I only noticed it on the pro as everything slowed down when you had multiple enemies and as soon as the sniper lights start buzzing you it was in your face

I hope they fix the performance issues....I actually preferred the ps4 controller for this game but preferred the sharper graphics of the x1x

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It's a demo. How about wait final release before reaching judgement?

If frame rate smooth and better on X in final version then will you slap yourself for posting nonsense?

You were saying? Ok, I goofed, for some reason they've uploaded last week's demo footage on the day of the new demo. It's still not release code, but it's still looking bad.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
This is final release is it? No it isn’t! So why have you posted this????

No, it ain't. Just wondering if he's still sticking to his guns. I'll reword the messaging.

vkbest

So they locked the framerate to 30fps on Pro when you configured 1080p? Looks pretty bad, unlocked framerate felt smoother on beta

Shmunter

So they locked the framerate to 30fps on Pro when you configured 1080p? Looks pretty bad, unlocked framerate felt smoother on beta
Really? It sure made a sizeable difference. Not much lost, game seems to be mediocre and not worth the time either way.

vkbest

Really? It sure made a sizeable difference. Not much lost, game seems to be mediocre and not worth the time either way.

I really not sure about if my post is true, I saw this commentary on the comments section:

"You can switch the PS4 pro to run at 1080p on the menu settings and get a lock 30fps like the standard PS4."

Evilms

Banned

Summary :

X : Dynamic res 2160p ~ 1944p with post processing that makes it have "cb artefacts", adaptive vsync with tearing, dips in performance.
Pro : Dynamic res 2160 cb ~ 1800 cb, no tearing, fewer dips from 30fps. 1080p mode is locked 30fps.

So : X = slightly cleaner image, Pro = slightly better performance.
Neither are perfect.

onQ123

Summary :

X : Dynamic res 2160p ~ 1944p with post processing that makes it have "cb artefacts", adaptive vsync with tearing, dips in performance.
Pro : Dynamic res 2160 cb ~ 1800 cb, no tearing, fewer dips from 30fps. 1080p mode is locked 30fps.

So : X = slightly cleaner image, Pro = slightly better performance.
Neither are perfect.

I wonder why they removed the unlocked frame rate mode that let PS4 Pro run above 30fps in 1080P

Top Bottom