• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else hyped for One Piece live action?

jorgejjvr

Early reviews are saying it's great. From fans to people not familiar with the manga/anime. People also saying it isn't cowboy bebop, and trailers, behind the scenes etc all seem great. Also Odas involvement I think will make a huge difference.

I'm kinda hyped lol

Season 9 Idk GIF by The Office

jorgejjvr

Not me - it looks so bad. The main character doesn’t sound like Luffy and does not talk like Luffy so I wonder how much Oda was really involved.
He was extremely involved. He was a producer. He chose the cast himself. He reviewed the episode. He called Iñaki perfect for Luffy, and the scene with nami he also said was perfected. Yeah, not sure with what eyes are viewing this. It looks great. Give the show a try
uTXtzrq.png
SsHFIjW.png
9cirBqA.png
6uDc4WU.png

Raonak

Banned
I'm very hyped. It looks like it's made directly to appeal to one piece fans. The attention to detail is legitimately impressive.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Not since Ace Combat 7, not since WoW: Cataclysm, not since Halo: Combat Evolved, has my heart beat like this.

I'm pumped, and after watching the Netflix trailer again, I'm fucking pumped.

This looks amazing and will be the first live action show I've cared about since Westworld.

Also that review about not being exposed to this much before, but then saying this is the thing fans have been waiting for is dumb. If you have no background then how can you say that?

kunonabi

One Piece doesn't even translate all that well to animation so making it in live-action is not something I can be optimistic about.

Kenpachii

Trailer looked solid.

Watching 960 episodes and just gave up how many years ago. Anime is straight up unwatchable bloat. So i hope this series actually makes a tight fast non filler journey through one piece.

He was extremely involved. He was a producer. He chose the cast himself. He reviewed the episode. He called Iñaki perfect for Luffy, and the scene with nami he also said was perfected. Yeah, not sure with what eyes are viewing this. It looks great. Give the show a try
uTXtzrq.png
SsHFIjW.png
9cirBqA.png
6uDc4WU.png

I'm sure who the people whose tweets you are quoting are but I think Oda is just saying what needs to be said and he's probably contractually obligated to not say anything negative. Because I do not see how in the world Luffy would say something like "I am feeling some tension here." line in one of the previous trailer. And that actor saying that "Gum gum..." attack - was that the best take they had on that. Just looks like cosplay and the world looks like a set, not a lived in world.

Edit: Having said that, even the anime has its sycophants despite the slow pace and the fillers.

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

I'm sure who the people whose tweets you are quoting are but I think Oda is just saying what needs to be said and he's probably contractually obligated to not say anything negative. Because I do not see how in the world Luffy would say something like "I am feeling some tension here." line in one of the previous trailer. And that actor saying that "Gum gum..." attack - was that the best take they had on that. Just looks like cosplay and the world looks like a set, not a lived in world.

Edit: Having said that, even the anime has its sycophants despite the slow pace and the fillers.
This is for an American audience my man, adaptations will never be perfect 1 to 1

Have you seen the newest trailer?

The above is way better than the teaser. It looks great, can't really agree with you there.

jorgejjvr

Very surprised at those that say it looks bad. Like it really doesn't, like not at all. One piece is a goofy anime, so it's great to see they aren't taking the live action all that serious either, it matches with the source material. The sets look great and the cast look on point.

If you are even in the slightest a one piece fan, at least give episode 1 a shot. Oda was really behind this adaptation, I trust him.

Ps: I posted above someone who watched the 1st episode and their review. Everyone that has seen it so far (fans and newcomers alike) reviewers and such, have only said it's great, and that it's nothing like cowboy bebop

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
This is for an American audience my man
I think you mean normies. One Piece already has a massive American audience.

This show is just so Oda can get a bigger bag. Already the biggest manga on the planet, what else do you want? Focus on not writing shit arcs like Wano please.

jorgejjvr

I think you mean normies. One Piece already has a massive American audience.

This show is just so Oda can get a bigger bag. Already the biggest manga on the planet, what else do you want? Focus on not writing shit arcs like Wano please.
One piece isn't as big as it could be on the west. I have friends interested to trying this live action out that have never given the anime a shot. Shit, my dad wants to watch it
😂

And lol shit arcs like wano xD not sure what you're watching or reading tbh

Last edited:

Yoboman

Very surprised at those that say it looks bad. Like it really doesn't, like not at all. One piece is a goofy anime, so it's great to see they aren't taking the live action all that serious either, it matches with the source material. The sets look great and the cast look on point.

If you are even in the slightest a one piece fan, at least give episode 1 a shot. Oda was really behind this adaptation, I trust him.

Ps: I posted above someone who watched the 1st episode and their review. Everyone that has seen it so far (fans and newcomers alike) reviewers and such, have only said it's great, and that it's nothing like cowboy bebop
Haters gonna hate, my man

I follow a lot of adaptations and the signs of a train wreck in progress are always there. Sometimes it's just awful casting, you get interviews that show a clear disrespect of the source material, the original creators disowning the project etc. This sort of thing was true in Bebop, Rings of Power, Wheel of Time etc

None of the signs here. Huge amounts of passion and love has gone into this. Heavy involvement from Oda. Purposeful casting. Showrunners are mad fanboys. I am still not sure how mainstream will embrace it but the fans will love it

Lots of good impressions coming from fan event where they showed episode 1... The fact Netflix are even screening it before it releases tells me they have a lot of confidence in how it has turned out

These guys were skeptics before as well

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

Haters gonna hate, my man

I follow a lot of adaptations and the signs of a train wreck in progress are always there. Sometimes it's just awful casting, you get interviews that show a clear disrespect of the source material, the original creators disowning the project etc. This sort of thing was true in Bebop, Rings of Power, Wheel of Time etc

None of the signs here. Huge amounts of passion and love has gone into this. Heavy involvement from Oda. Purposeful casting. Showrunners are mad fanboys. I am still not sure how mainstream will embrace it but the fans will love it

Lots of good impressions coming from fan event where they showed episode 1... The fact Netflix are even screening it before it releases tells me they have a lot of confidence in how it has turned out

These guys were skeptics before as well

Yep, same video I posted earlier above, they were impressed. They are definitely confident about it. I would love to see one piece #1-#2 or shows when it arrives. I think this has potential to reach the mainstream.

Yeah the passion being put into this project is on another level

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
No.

If I were 12 I'd probably be fapping in anticipation, but as it stands it doesn't look like my cup of tea.

Spyxos

I've seen the trailer and it looks like typical Netflix Live Action fail. And the things that work in anime are very difficult to do in real life. Those rubber hands just look silly.

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

I'm gonna put a hot take here, just in case I'm right. This is going to become one of Netflix most watched shows, it will be #1 in their top 10 shows. There will be articles about it breaking records and breaking the anime adaptation curse, it will actually be a great show for fans and newcomers alike, it will renew for season 2, and a lot of people will be eating crow 😂

Last edited:

Spyxos

We must have seen different trailers

I've seen all the latest One Piece episodes, but I haven't seen anything in the trailer that appeals to me. If I just see these live action costumes, they look so bad.

And I've never heard Ruffy in English, only in Jap and German, and he sounds kind of weird.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Sorry OP that GAF isn't as hyped for this as resetera apparently is

jorgejjvr

Sorry OP that GAF isn't as hyped for this as resetera apparently is
Truly a shame :(

Although those were Twitter posts from random people on Twitter, not necessarily era people, I just happen to see the posts on era. But these are people that got to see the season or episode 1 early

Still, they are definitely more excited about it over there lol

Fbh

Nope, still think it looks extremely cringy. It can be the perfect adaptation with the perfect cast and perfect visual effects, won't change the fact that IMO One Piece just doesn't translate into live action.

Its like if you put a dude in a bunny costume and make faithful 1:1 live action recreations of Looney tunes sketches. It's just not something I want to watch

But if fans enjoy it then good for them.
Also props for not erasing the cute redhead like 99% of modern adaptations

Last edited:
Top Bottom