• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else hyped for One Piece live action?

jorgejjvr

Mask is a shit post series, One Piece is actually meant to be taken seriously.... Until Gear 5 which is garbage but whatever.
Gear 5 is awesome, matches Luffy as a person perfectly. Every other anime transformation is edgy, you wanted Luffy to also be edgy? Totally original 😂 in here we instead get a unique transformation that only Luffy could pull off. It's supposed to be a ridiculous and goofy power up, which matches Luffys personality perfectly, we don't need another edgy/emo transformation

Oh and one piece overall is a FUN manga/anime, it's not meant to be taken seriously at all 😂 what in the world are you watching/reading? All the characters, transformations, villains etc are goofy as hell, and the anime is the better for it

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Gear 5 is awesome, matches Luffy as a person perfectly. Every other anime transformation is edgy, you wanted Luffy to also be edgy? Totally original 😂 in here we instead get a unique transformation that only Luffy could pull off. It's supposed to be a ridiculous and goofy power up, which matches Luffys personality perfectly, we don't need another edgy/emo transformation

Oh and one piece overall is a FUN manga/anime, it's not meant to be taken seriously at all 😂 what in the world are you watching/reading? All the characters, transformations, villains etc are goofy as hell, and the anime is the better for it
Gear in its origin was an ass pull for power scaling issues but I let it slide myself until Gear 5 when Luffy turns into Freakazoid. Can't take the series seriously anymore.

You're clearly a fanboy who'd let Oda get away with anything though. lol.

Me: One Piece is too comedic
You: One Piece has serious themes what are you talking about 😂😂😂

Or

Me: One Piece has serious themes to it
You: One Piece is just a fun series what are you talking about 😂😂😂

One Piece fans are dumb as hell. The fandom in 2006 was so much better and the series was in a better place. Wish I could go back.

jorgejjvr

Gear in its origin was an ass pull for power scaling issues but I let it slide myself until Gear 5 when Luffy turns into Freakazoid. Can't take the series seriously anymore.

Or

One Piece fans are dumb as hell. The fandom in 2006 was so much better and the series was in a better place. Wish I could go back.
😂 drop the manga/anime man, the rest of us will just continue to enjoy it

Or

I've been torn on Gear 5. Luffy's powers since inception, and the general feeling of the show, have both been cartoony in nature from the start. Yes, there was a certain point where things became more serious, but when Gear 5 and beyond goes full cartoony again, a part of me shrugs at it because that looney tunes/freakazoid stuff is what I originally felt when I first looked at the show years ago. One Piece is an odd manga/show that paved two parallel roads for itself to jump back and forth between silly to serious, at any given time. I can't say the same for any other show.

I don't know if that makes me a dumb fan(especially since this property is nowhere near my top 10), but I recognize it for what it is instead of what I want it to be. In the scope of all anime, I still feel that there are many other things are much more upsetting. Here's three as an example:

1) Ash Ketchum never growing in age and never winning a tournament until very, very recently.
2) Goku being turned back into a kid for Dragonball GT and the show attempting to go back to it's silly pre-DBZ nature, then swiftly doing a hard, hard 180 back to serious once the reception was bad.
3) Seven Deadly Sins' animation budget running out for it's last arc, which was the most important one. Thus, one of the best fights in the manga becomes essentially a slideshow/animated comic book.

Labolas

Never a OP fan so I'm not invested in this at all. Some things aren't meant to be adapted to live action, this is one of them. And you completely lost me when you started posting resetera forum posts.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Never a OP fan so I'm not invested in this at all. Some things aren't meant to be adapted to live action, this is one of them. And you completely lost me when you started posting resetera forum posts.

They were screenshots of Twitter/X posts. Embedded in era posts, yeah, but not anything those crazies say.

Doom85

Odd himself approved of the casting of all the leads, and he read every episode script. The set design is on point, and nearly everyone looks on point (Shanks’ face looks a little off, but maybe when I hear him speak it’ll work better. Also, I wish Arlong was being played by a more muscular guy).

This is coming out on my birthday, so I’m very excited to see it.

Also, if Season 1 does deliver, a certain actress might consider getting involved:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I absolutely adore the manga and enjoy the anime at times, even with its pointless bloat and bad pacing.

This however looks... awful. Can't say I am excited for it, but I will at the very least give it a try. I tend not to trust nameless reviewers who openly admit they know nothing of the source material and then, in the same breath, claim that this is the show fans have been waiting for.

mortal

Gold Member
I don't think I've seen a single live-action anime adaptation that I actually liked.
Even though some are better than others, imo they tend to rob the anime being adapted of its essence or charm or whatever.
The live-action depictions of anime characters usually look like really nice cosplays at best, if that.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I don't think I've seen a single live-action anime adaptation that I actually liked.
Even though some are better than others, imo they tend to rob the anime being adapted of its essence or charm or whatever.
The live-action depictions of anime characters usually look like really nice cosplays at best, if that.
Technically, the live action ワカコ酒 with Rina Takeda is an adaptation of the anime / manga of the same name.

Anime:
Wakakozake---Sigh.jpg

Live Action:
japanese_food_Shows.jpg

But - it's also a show about a young woman who goes out to sit down restaurants in Japan to eat and drink after work, so it had a very grounded premise to begin with. The show has been going now for seven seasons, and it's really just because it's got to be incredibly easy to make and the restaurants and breweries pay to be featured on the show.

Oda has said that if Luffy was a real person, he would be like Brazilian. His Japanese isn't perfect either, that's why he's always making up words and names
Brazilians come in all colours. His Japanese isn’t perfect but I don’t think he has a particularly strong accent. Nor does he have the same hairstyle as Brook.

Raonak

Banned
Ironically, I think one piece being so weird and goofy actually makes it possible to translate into live action, because it's not trying to chase realism.
Weird places. weird powers. weird characters. weird costumes. weird everything.
Leaning into it fully the surreal nature of the world instead of cutting things that aren't realistic is the thing that's gonna set this adaption apart.
It reminds me of the common beginner complaint about the series in general: "The artstyle looks too goofy"

Also; Gear 5 is the goated powerup. Giving luffy the ability to turn his environment into rubber, is an amazing moveset upgrade.
The standard angry powerups are are overdone, oda flipping the script into the goofy angle is the best way to take it. It not only fits luffy's character, but it fits the themes of the series so well.
Oda's level of creative mastery is simply unmatched.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Ironically, I think one piece being so weird and goofy actually makes it possible to translate into live action, because it's not trying to chase realism.
Leaning into it fully the surreal nature of the world instead of cutting things that aren't realistic is the thing that's gonna set this adaption apart.
It reminds me of the common beginner complaint about the series in general: "The artstyle looks too goofy"

Also; Gear 5 is the goated powerup. Giving luffy the ability to turn his environment into rubber, is an amazing moveset upgrade.
The standard angry powerups are are overdone, oda flipping the script into the goofy angle is the best way to take it. It not only fits luffy's character, but it fits the themes of the series so well.
Agreed. Love this:

People acting like a silly, surrealistic pirate fantasy can't work when Peter Pan exists

jorgejjvr

Totally agree with everything here

mortal

Gold Member
Technically, the live action ワカコ酒 with Rina Takeda is an adaptation of the anime / manga of the same name.

Anime:
Wakakozake---Sigh.jpg

Live Action:
japanese_food_Shows.jpg

But - it's also a show about a young woman who goes out to sit down restaurants in Japan to eat and drink after work, so it had a very grounded premise to begin with. The show has been going now for seven seasons, and it's really just because it's got to be incredibly easy to make and the restaurants and breweries pay to be featured on the show.
That's a good point. Slice-of-life anime translate better to live-action, for sure.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Never heard of, read, or watched a single frame of One Piece. Is this a kids/tween show like pokemon, DBZ, naruto? Or something with broader appeal like Avatar:TLA and TMNT?

GymWolf

I absolutely adore the manga and enjoy the anime at times, even with its pointless bloat and bad pacing.

This however looks... awful. Can't say I am excited for it, but I will at the very least give it a try. I tend not to trust nameless reviewers who openly admit they know nothing of the source material and then, in the same breath, claim that this is the show fans have been waiting for.
I was about to say the same thing after reading the tweets.

Fbh

Never heard of, read, or watched a single frame of One Piece. Is this a kids/tween show like pokemon, DBZ, naruto? Or something with broader appeal like Avatar:TLA and TMNT?

The former.
But it has been going on for so long that it has fans in a variety of age groups.
I'm personally long past the days where I was really into it, but I've been reading it since middle school and I still want to see how it ends. (the fact it's like a 5-10 minutes time investment every other week helps)

Also while I actually do like the first half better (cleaner art and the pacing was better because the cast wasn't as massive), this is one of the few long running series where it feels like the author is still pouring his heart into it and still has a set story he wants to tell. Unlike stuff like Naruto, Bleach or DBZ where you could tell they kept it going for way longer than intended just because it was popular.

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Whether I'm laughing at it or with it, I'm ready. The trailer looked awful but hey a guy can dream. Besides it could end up so bad it's good even if it is bad

VN1X

Banned
Early reviews are saying it's great. From fans to people not familiar with the manga/anime. People also saying it isn't cowboy bebop, and trailers, behind the scenes etc all seem great. Also Odas involvement I think will make a huge difference.

I'm kinda hyped lol
Nah looks awful.

Some thing just aren't meant to be translated into a different art form.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
God no. Netflix has an awful record with anime adaptations. They couldn't even do a somewhat serious anime like bebop any justice. One Piece is anime as hell. It's going to be terrible.

jorgejjvr

God no. Netflix has an awful record with anime adaptations. They couldn't even do a somewhat serious anime like bebop any justice. One Piece is anime as hell. It's going to be terrible.
I don't think so. They are leaning into the goofyness and non serious side of it. The creator of one piece was also heavily involved.

Lethal01

Getting excited for liv e action anime adaptions from the west is just nasty and we should have moved past it a decade ago..

Durien

Have you watched the live action Gintama? I haven't read a single Gintama manga but I love the anime. I thought the live action was pretty good and definitely what I expected.

mortal

Gold Member
Have you watched the live action Gintama? I haven't read a single Gintama manga but I love the anime. I thought the live action was pretty good and definitely what I expected.
I have not. Never been into Gintama tbh. Seen an episode here or there in the past but the humor was never my thing.

Top Bottom