• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone worried about DriveClub?

It felt really average at EG Expo, like something Codemasters would put out. But it's difficult to guage from such a short time with it. But the gameplay just didn't hook me in - it wasn't 'sim' enough for the enthusiast crowd and it wasn't fun enough for the arcade crowd. Just very middle-of-the-road, pardon the pun.

I suppose PGR was also somewhere in the middle, but the city environments, career/mission structure and Kudos points etc brought it up to another level. Perhaps DriveClub could still do the same.

People who want an arcade racer have a better option in NFS: Rivals.

I've been saying this since E3. I don't know why Driveclub exists. It's a game nobody asked for. I truly hope Sony dumps the franchise after this game and just tells Evolution to go make a crazy arcade racer.

Maybe it exists to offer more value for Playstation Plus at launch? Maybe it exists to fulfill the craving of an arcade racer at launch (nearly every system has had some type of launch racer)? Maybe it exists because it could be a fun, pretty racer to show off on your PS4? Maybe it exists because the road map for the game (remember, they are promising tons of updates and added features throughout the games lifespan) is compelling as it will "evolve" over its lifespan? Maybe it exists because Evolution have a great track record and they wanted to make it, and Sony was open to letting them do what they really wanted to do?

I mean, you really do not know why it exists? Sure, nobody is screaming "I want a team racing game" but Driveclub isn't exclusive to that, at all. It isn't JUST team racing, it is a feature of how the game is set up.

The "I don't know why it exists, nobody asked for this" is a really lame argument. Couldn't the exact same thing be said for a majority of games? Let the devs make what they want to make, you can try it with Plus, and just because YOU don't understand it, doesn't mean others wont enjoy it. Its pretty simple.

system11

I'd rather delay so they can put it out with a respectable frame rate. 30fps racing is a pointless joke, I can't believe people gave Forza Horizon a free pass for it.

nib95

Banned
Will crow be served or will the worries be justified? Seeing how vastly improved the game has been in a short few months, and how EVO did exactly the same thing with the Motorstorm games, I'm not worried.

A few months ago this was considered the worst looking PS4 exclusive, now it's considered by many to be the best looking racer on any platform.

viveks86

I'd rather delay so they can put it out with a respectable frame rate. 30fps racing is a pointless joke, I can't believe people gave Forza Horizon a free pass for it.

And PGR? And NFS? And most console arcade/arcade-ish racers out there? Is 30 fps on all of those games pointless jokes too?

I'm sorry, but many of us don't mind 30 fps for this type of racing. They have already confirmed that they would try to get to 60 fps eventually, if not at launch. So some of us are not willing to wait for the game just so some of you who want 60 fps can be satisfied. You can always buy the game after they get it up to 60 fps, if that's your pre-requisite.

That its a month away and we all know very little about it?
Like what? We know a heck of a lot about it. They just haven't shown everything in video form.

Would you rather they spend time making videos detailing all the gameplay features they've announced or spend that time actually making and improving the game?

We've seen trailers of races with more than one car.

Should have said "gameplay" trailers. I want to see what the game looks like with multiple cars on the screen since I assume that's where we'll be spending most of our time (racing against other cars either online or off). So far, I like what I see, but it's very #TimeTrials.

Mugatu

A bit but like others have said, there will be a free PSN+ version so I'll get to try it before having to purchase it (assuming I get a PS4)

Like what? We know a heck of a lot about it. They just haven't shown everything in video form.

Would you rather they spend time making videos detailing all the gameplay features they've announced or spend that time actually making and improving the game?
I'd rather somebody else put up articles, FAQs and videos while the team keeps going.

And for those saying we know a heck of a lot, what are the game modes? How many environments are there? How many cars to choose from? What's the single player like? Does it use rubber-band AI? Something else? How do you get new cars? Is there a game economy (money, xp, other?). How do players create their own challenges?

I'm probably not as worried as some here, as I do have faith in Evo, but I don't feel like I know much of what to expect from this game at all, and I've kept my eye on it from the get-go.

Deadstar

After Driveclub comes out I hope they work on Motorstorm Pacific Rift 2. It's the game we all deserve.

Driveclub looks interesting but yeah it is strange that they've only shown off one car so far and it's only a month from release. Though it's free so I won't be complaining when I play it.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Sony drove several good studios to death with low budget games. Starhawk, Twisted Metal, Wipeout..
Wait a second, back up. The studios in question struggled with making larger scale games, and these are the projects they themselves chose to work on. They weren't "low budget" in terms of quality and effort, just scope. Sony didn't drive them to that.

viveks86

There will be a free version to people with Playstation Plus, it's not the full version though. Not sure exactly what is missing, I think just a bunch of cars and some tracks, from the free version.

You are correct. Cars and tracks are what would be missing. You can platinum the game without having to pay for it.

.GqueB.

Banned
That its a month away and we all know very little about it?

Should have said "gameplay" trailers. I want to see what the game looks like with multiple cars on the screen since I assume that's where we'll be spending most of our time (racing against other cars either online or off). So far, I like what I see, but it's very #TimeTrials.

Did we not see a 15 minute (or so) gameplay video just last week? Did I dream that? I'm so confused by posts like this.

Krakn3Dfx

Man, that game looked lame - it's free now, right?

Game that plays like PGR with dynamic environments, 1080p shooting for 60fps, day/night cycle and a ton of club based social stuff.

Yeah, it sounds horrible.

So you will not have to pay $60 for it (I would assume it would be $40 for the full version if you upgrade, but I am totally guessing).

I'm betting it won't be more than $29.99 for the upgrade to the full version. They've said it's only missing "a couple of tracks and cars" from the full version, so I don't think there will be enough of a difference to justify a $40 purchase over the free version, but we'll have to wait and see. I believe they're supposed to announce more information pretty soon.

There will be a free version to people with Playstation Plus, it's not the full version though. Not sure exactly what is missing, I think just a bunch of cars and some tracks, from the free version.

Yeah, basically the FREE version is missing some cars and tracks. But in more of a positive light, RUSHY said you can Platinum Trophy Drive Club with only the FREE version, so at least all of the features of the game will still be intact, at least to get all the trophies. So that is a positive.

Plus, they have stated if you have the Driveclub PS Plus Edition, you can upgrade to the full version at a discounted price. So you will not have to pay $60 for it (I would assume it would be $40 for the full version if you upgrade, but I am totally guessing).

Seanspeed

Banned
A few months ago this was considered the worst looking PS4 exclusive, now it's considered by many to be the best looking racer on any platform.

While its pretty, its also no pCars. That game is the undisputed king right now it terms of visuals. I don't want to get into the 'vs' wars, but I think that's pretty plain to see at the moment.

But most of all, graphics aren't what people are mainly talking about here. While something pretty is nice, I think the bigger concern for a lot of people is how it plays/how fun it is.

That said, I think that's largely because DriveClub isn't marketed towards the 'everyman'. Like I said earlier, it fills a particular niche that has been previously unfilled on the Sony side - the PGR niche. It wont be for everyone, but I can see quite a few people still liking it a lot, just like with PGR.

Did we not see a 15 minute (or so) gameplay video just last week? Did I dream that? I'm so confused by posts like this.
What? Did we?

The last I saw was that one day/night transition race up at the observatory. And maybe a partial offscreen from one of the gaming events recently.

Clinton514

It played a little arcade like when I tried it out. Also, might have been an earlier build and/or the tv it was on, but the foliage looked messy as hell.

The lighting was what I was most impressed by.

skynidas

Banned
I´m not, it looks fun and i trust evolution studios, i have liked all their games. I'm getting this AND Gran Turismo 6.

viveks86

They are referring to head-to-head racing and more game details on features, cars and tracks. Valid concerns, if the game weren't a launch title. I'm not surprised of this, since it will be the case for most launch games, especially exclusives. Devs seem to be more focused on getting the game out and meeting their targets for design and quality, rather than preparing the most stable, best looking builds and releasing gameplay videos for us rabid fans. It sucks, but is understandable.

EagleEyes

Will crow be served or will the worries be justified? Seeing how vastly improved the game has been in a short few months, and how EVO did exactly the same thing with the Motorstorm games, I'm not worried.

Are we looking at different videos or something? The ones i've seen of Driveclub have had one car on screen, screen tearing, framerate issues, jaggies and will only be 30 fps at launch. I guess you must be hanging out with huge playstation fans to be hearing such things lol. I'm not saying EVO can't polish this game up and it look great at launch but what we've seen so far shouldn't instill such confidence yet.

VanWinkle

I'm a little worried. We have not seen a race in a racing game ONE MONTH FROM LAUNCH. I believe in Evolution Studios, but MY GOODNESS! It would be crazy not to at least be a little worried by that.

nib95

Banned
While its pretty, its also no pCars. That game is the undisputed king right now it terms of visuals. I don't want to get into the 'vs' wars, but I think that's pretty plain to see at the moment.

But most of all, graphics aren't what people are mainly talking about here. While something pretty is nice, I think the bigger concern for a lot of people is how it plays/how fun it is.

That said, I think that's largely because DriveClub isn't marketed towards the 'everyman'. Like I said earlier, it fills a particular niche that has been previously unfilled on the Sony side - the PGR niche. It wont be for everyone, but I can see quite a few people still liking it a lot, just like with PGR.

PCars whilst gorgeous, is technically several steps behind DriveClub. In terms of lighting (dynamic GI), shadows, reflections, geometrical complexity in the surroundings, foliage, volumetric clouds affected by light sources, trackside physics (foliage is physics based), amount of trackside detail, amount going on in the track, number of people in the crowds and so on.

We are officially 1 month from system launch. I understand they're in crunch mode and trying to get things done. But their deadline to get things to SQA and production have to be this week or next week. If they don't have a GM by then... it's time to delay.

All the best Evolution. You folks do great work. I just hope you ditch the rubberband AI.

Shinta

Banned
Not worried in the slightest. It's free, and I enjoy more arcadish racers so I'm sure it'll be fun for a while.

p3tran

Banned
I'm a little worried. We have not seen a race in a racing game ONE MONTH FROM LAUNCH. I believe in Evolution Studios, but MY GOODNESS! It would be crazy not to at least be a little worried by that.

let them work the most they can, and i am sure they will be pumped to share with us what they did when they are done. right now -and this holds for all console launch games- time for them is everything.

Seanspeed

Banned
PCars whilst gorgeous, is technically several steps behind DriveClub. In terms of lighting (dynamic GI), shadows, reflections, geometrical complexity in the surroundings, foliage, volumetric clouds affected by light sources, trackside physics (foliage is physics based), amount of trackside detail, amount going on in the track, number of people in the crowds and so on.
Ok man. lol

VanWinkle

let them work the most they can, and i am sure they will be pumped to share with us what they did when they are done. right now -and this holds for all console launch games- time for them is everything.

I know. It's just...man, one month until launch and we have only seen time trials since E3.

Ok man. lol

pCars biggest claims to fame are incredible image quality and car models. I completely agree that DriveClub has many technical advantages, as nibs has stated. Do you have evidence to the contrary, seanspeed? Do you believe pCars is above DriveClub in the aspects that nibs listed?

viveks86

I know. It's just...man, one month until launch and we have only seen time trials since E3.

Fingers crossed, man. Rushy promised we would get what we want. For the unprecedented transparency they have shown so far and Rushy's openness on Gaf, he deserves our trust. Now more than ever. :)

Fingers crossed, man. Rushy promised we would get what we want. For the unprecedented transparency they have shown so far and Rushy's openness on Gaf, he deserves our trust. Now more than ever. :)

Be cautious. Rushy only promised head-to-head racing. We have yet to see a return of the 6+ cars on-screen racing that was presented in February. It really sounds like Evo needs to drop the 60fps target. They didn't aim for that to start with so it's going to be very difficult to implement this late in the game.

Wasp

I'm not worried about Drive Club because I don't care about it at all. I loved both Pacific Rift and Apocalypse but realistic racing games aren't my cup of tea at all so this looks like the definition of mediocrity to me.

I'll probably give the PS+ version a quick go to check out the graphics but I will play it on my alt account so it doesn't stink up my trophy list.

Elios83

People at Evolution must be really busy trying to finish the game with the best possible quality they can.
They are definetly failing at creating hype around the game though, at this point we should already have footage of an actual race (not just the promised head to head).
But knowing how much stressed and busy they are right now, it's understandable.
Still considering that I'm going to play this through Plus I'm definetly not worried :p

viveks86

Be cautious. Rushy only promised head-to-head racing. We have yet to see a return of the 6+ cars on-screen racing that was presented in February. It really sounds like Evo needs to drop the 60fps target. They didn't aim for that to start with so it's going to be very difficult to implement this late in the game.

When he said head-to-head, it is still unclear if he meant one on one or just a competitive race. We would know for sure only if they clarify it or when the video is out.

The way they have phrased their response on facebook, I don't think they are targeting 60 fps for launch anyway. It might already be tabled for later.

Seanspeed

Banned
pCars biggest claims to fame are incredible image quality and car models. I completely agree that DriveClub has many technical advantages, as nibs has stated. Do you have evidence to the contrary, seanspeed? Do you believe pCars is above DriveClub in the aspects that nibs listed?
I think pCars quite clearly is the more impressive looking game, regardless of any little things DriveClub does better. You yourself say pCars has better image quality. Well, it also has the ability to be greater than 30fps. IQ+fps advantage = better looking game.

I hate that y'all have sucked me into a 'vs' war. I have nothing against DriveClub and have been defending it here against people trying to bash it and say it has no place. But to say its the best looking racer on any platform is just pure fanboyism. Nib is a Sony fanboy through and through and I'm tired of tip-toing around that fact. If somebody said Forza was the best looking racer around, I'd be equally 'eye-rolling'.

Again, I think DriveClub is a nice looking game and has a very viable niche. I wish it the best and think that it should hopefully be an enjoyable game for those with the 'PGR' itch.

Well I wasn't before this thread :(

By the way, it's not just DriveClub that hasn't had any press, there's been basically zero press for all next-gen games outside of Titanfall and standard E3/TGS coverage.

viveks86

I think pCars quite clearly is the more impressive looking game, regardless of any little things DriveClub does better. You yourself say pCars has better image quality. Well, it also has the ability to be greater than 30fps. IQ+fps advantage = better looking game.

I hate that y'all have sucked me into a 'vs' war. I have nothing against DriveClub and have been defending it here against people trying to bash it and say it has no place. But to say its the best looking racer on any platform is just pure fanboyism. Nib is a Sony fanboy through and through and I'm tired of tip-toing around that fact. If somebody said Forza was the best looking racer around, I'd be equally 'eye-rolling'.

Again, I think DriveClub is a nice looking game and has a very viable niche. I wish it the best and think that it should hopefully be an enjoyable game for those with the 'PGR' itch.

Good point. There is a dedicated thread for comparisons. You brought pCars here despite it being off topic. So I'm going to defend the responses you got. Also, please keep your personal attacks on PMs. It's basic forum etiquette.

UNCMark

Banned
My worry is that the game doesn't seem that fun.

I was hyped as hell for Motorstorm, but I really don't care about a racer with nothing special except pretty graphics.

One of my concerns as well. Feedback from the various shows hasn't been good, and as the OP stated they've still not shown the actual racing in the game against multiple cars. What they have shown of the game looks incredibly boring and bland to me.

Top Bottom