• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma Reveals: No Left Handed Mode for Zelda Wii

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
New IGN Interview:

Eiji Aonuma Interview on both new Zeldas
http://ds.ign.com/articles/109/1099435p1.html

Eiji Aonuma, Producer of EAD Software Group No. 3, the group in charge of both The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3DS.

Reveals that former Capcom designer, Hidemaro Fujibayashi, director of Oracles and Minish Cap, joined EAD afterwards as an assistant director to Phantom Hourglass.

Afterwards, he joined the Zelda Wii team, and is now the lead director under Aonuma, and with assistant directors.

This is good. Minish Cap is one of the most "Zelda-y" games to me, if that makes any sense. Good pacing and all that, too.

I was saying in the other Zelda thread about how I hoped it was by the Capcom people, because those were my favorite 2D games. HOLLA

Empty

It's interesting because people say "all you have to do is switch it." But in reality, it's really hard. You have to change all the models -- you have to make two of everything. So really you're making two complete games, one left-handed version and one right-handed version. We just can't do that. For Twilight Princess, what we did was just create a mirror -- we flipped everything. And if that worked I guess we could do it that way, but again having to create two games is not something we want to do. We just hope that people will play it right-handed.

lefty uprising incoming.

cosmicblizzard said:
I liked Minish Cap a lot but I wouldn't really put it on par with most of the other Zelda games. Not sure how I feel about this.
Yes, but I think with Aonuma and Miyamoto's watchful eyes, I have total faith. Looking forward to some great new ideas!

duckroll

Not super fantastic news... but.....

He was the assistant director of Phantom Hourglass, but not involved in Spirit Tracks at all. So I take it as a GOOD sign. If the director of PH and ST is working on Skyward Sword I would lose a lot more faith in the game. Hopefully he's not! :lol

Minish Cap and the Oracle games are so much better than Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks I can't think of a way to measure how great the gap between them is.

Alex

The Oracles games were amazing, good as Zelda has ever been. Minish Cap not as much but it was still good. Spirit Tracks though, is the worst game in the entire franchise. It is fucking garbage.

I honestly don't think it'll ultimately matter who is directing it or whatever though, not with the kind of overseeing that Nintendo does for their console games.

Just no vehicle to ruin the game design please.

Harpuia

Crumpet Trumpet said:
Have you played Phantom Hourglass?
Worse than Spirit Tracks in every way

Yes I have. And I enjoyed it more.

Anyways, I wonder if this means we'll have someone as awesome as Ezlo. :eek:

Dragmire

Hmm... On one hand, I wasn't in love with Minish Cap. I think of it almost like a second party Zelda. And the Oracle games were enjoyable, but felt almost exactly like Link's Awakening. But on the other hand the guy is part of EAD now and they wouldn't let him fuck this up. And the DS games were good, imo.

Akai

Empty said:
lefty uprising incoming.

I'm a southpaw and I just play right-handed. Complaining about it instead of attempting to adapt just makes you look stupid...

As for the director, I enjoyed the Oracles and Minish Cap so I have no qualms. And anyone who does needs to realize that Aonuma and Miyamoto obviously have the last say on any major issues...

kman3000

duckroll said:
Not super fantastic news... but.....

He was the assistant director of Phantom Hourglass, but not involved in Spirit Tracks at all. So I take it as a GOOD sign. If the director of PH and ST is working on Skyward Sword I would lose a lot more faith in the game. Hopefully he's not! :lol
ST was the one of the best Zeldas since MM, so I hope he is involved.

Don't know what you're smoking....

Medalion

Banned
Don't forget the team that made Spirit Tracks is the team making Skyward Sword, with Minish Cap director as the director for Skyward Sword.

So...good, not good?

Miyamoto and Aonuma still control the tea table.

Whether or not you like Fujibayashi's Zelda games is irrelevant. This changes nothing.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Uh, I guess better than the jackalope who did PH and ST. Possibly better than Aonuma too.

Overall excitement level: meh.

JWong

Banned
Ignis Fatuus said:
Bitch, Aonuma did Majora's Mask, The Wind Waker, and co-directed Ocarina of Time. Respect.
Like Miyamoto isn't directing much anymore, it's better to leave the directing to younger blood.
Actually, I don't know if Fujibayashi is a young dude.

Krowley

Yeah, from reading reports, it seemed that miyamoto kind of directed over anouma's shoulder at times, and I imagine both anouma and miyamoto will be directing over this guys shoulder, so it's probably very safe.

It will be interesting to see what new ideas a different director can bring to a major console zelda, although right now this is getting the most meh reception of any new zelda reveal that I can remember.

Hopefully that's more related to it being overshadowed by the 3ds, and the technical glitches in the conference than the quality of the playable demo

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Wow, I thought it said Aonuma was the director. Didn't need another Twilight Princess.

Aonuma has been "producer" for the game since Wind Waker basically. The planning team is rather large.. all technically share director roles.

Don't forget the team that made Spirit Tracks is the team making Skyward Sword

Aonuma just meant some of the planning staff. The programmers and musicians and modelers are definitely DIFFERENT.

The Oracle games had some clever items and puzzles, but I wouldn't count them among the strongest Zelda experiences. I felt pretty much the same about Minish Cap, and Phantom Hourglass was easily my least favorite Zelda since Adventure of Link. I can't think of a single thing it did as well or better than any other game in the modern series. So if you're telling me that guy is the director of Skyward Sword, I guess my response is to hope his influence is tempered by long-time console Zelda designers, Miyamoto included.

lyre

It's interesting because people say "all you have to do is switch it." But in reality, it's really hard. You have to change all the models -- you have to make two of everything. So really you're making two complete games, one left-handed version and one right-handed version. We just can't do that. For Twilight Princess, what we did was just create a mirror -- we flipped everything. And if that worked I guess we could do it that way, but again having to create two games is not something we want to do. We just hope that people will play it right-handed.
Fuck you too Aonuma, and your lazy ass.

Acosta

Both Oracles are some of the best 2D Zelda ever, just a step behind of Awakening, so that's good. At least is a promise of seeing some really original items and puzzles. Now I think about it, I understand now why I was surprised with the beetle robo-gun, that kind of original stuff suits to Fujibayashi.

Miau

Neo Member
Fucking IGN. :lol

They just took one of the Stallion Free dolphin screenshots and put a watermark in it.

Zelda%20WW%2022.jpg

ToonInline_1276737553.jpg

Top Bottom