• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AP: Trump remains winner of Wisconsin following statewide recount showing few changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydrus

I don't trust their recount. If they rigged the initial vote counting why wouldn't do the same for the recount?

Did they have independent federal officials doing the recount?

She should ask for more donations, so they can do another recount. You know, just to be safe.

RMI

Banned
Glad to read this.
Hopefully people have more confidence in the system now.

I'll have confidence in the system when the electoral college functions as intended and prevents a demagogue from taking office.

It's going to be a long 4 years. Maybe 8 even.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
remember folks (I am a WI resident)..

this recount was a sham to start with in WI. The contention was that there were irregularities in trending in districts with electronic voting, HOWEVER the judge denied a hand recount, meaning the electronic voting that may or may have not been rigged was just required to spit out the same number it did on Nov 8.

Not saying that Stein's effort here was 100% above the table. HOWEVER, there were really fucked up statistical anomalies in our voting here in districts with electronic voting, and basically the request to validate and verify those machines (hand count and audit) was denied.

so we will basically never know.

Glad to read this.
Hopefully people have more confidence in the system now.

the "system" was never audited. That was denied. The districts that provided highly odd results just spit out literally the same electronic results because of that court judgment. "More confidence" would have required a hand recount, AND audit of the electronic voting machines. If anything, we have even LESS confidence now. Because as long as electronic voting machines can be rigged in such a way as to put over the candidate above the margin of error, a judge can deny that those machines even be looked at because the margin is too great.

this whole thing is fucked up.

FZZ

Banned

this recount was a sham to start with in WI. The contention was that there were irregularities in trending in districts with computer voting, HOWEVER the judge denied a hand recount, meaning the electronic voting that may or may have not been rigged was just required to spit out the same number it did on Nov 8.

Not saying that Stein's effort here was 100% above the table. HOWEVER, there were really fucked up statistical anomalies in our voting here in districts with electronic voting, and basically the request to validate and verify those machines (hand count and audit) was denied.

Okay so basically nothing was solved and we have coy ass motherfuckers in this thread acting like they know everything

fuck everything lmao

this recount was a sham to start with in WI. The contention was that there were irregularities in trending in districts with electronic voting, HOWEVER the judge denied a hand recount, meaning the electronic voting that may or may have not been rigged was just required to spit out the same number it did on Nov 8.

the "system" was never audited. That was denied. The districts that provided highly odd results just spit out literally the same electronic results because of that court judgment.

Oh looky here, I was right. The same rigged systems weren't audited.

As a libertarian who was once ridiculed and mocked here for occasionally bringing up a conspiracy theory, it has been rather gratifying to see the Hillary supporters here going all in on these conspiracy's whether its Russia rigging the election or believing the votes weren't counted correctly.

borghe

Okay so basically nothing was solved and we have coy ass motherfuckers in this thread acting like they know everything

fuck everything lmao

correct. because the margin in WI was so relatively large, the State Judge denied the motion for hand recount, a motion that WOULD HAVE required the electronic voting machines been audited and verified. Because of the denial, all electronic vote recording from the 8th was just spit back out. Nothing was actually proven either way here. They figuratively just hit play on the VCR recording of the 8th.

As a libertarian who was once ridiculed and mocked here for occasionally bringing up a conspiracy theory, it has been rather gratifying to see the Hillary supporters here going all in on these conspiracy's whether its Russia rigging the election or believing the votes weren't counted correctly.

I don't "believe" anything. I just know that a) all of the voting districts in three key battleground states that use electronic voting (which is illegal in most other states) all went to Trump when prior to Nov 8 they all trended toward Clinton, and b) requests for recounts and specifically audits of said results (and thus the machines used) were all denied.

So basically Trump/Russia could have rigged, or Clinton could have just lost/failed miserably. We will never know.

Have you been reading this thread? heh

People are having a laugh because the Green Party is a joke. Recounts happen all the time. They aren't big deals and it's good to do them in close races.

the "system" was never audited. That was denied. The districts that provided highly odd results just spit out literally the same electronic results because of that court judgment. "More confidence" would have required a hand recount, AND audit of the electronic voting machines. If anything, we have even LESS confidence now. Because as long as electronic voting machines can be rigged in such a way as to put over the candidate above the margin of error, a judge can deny that those machines even be looked at because the margin is too great.

That's disappointing.

I said in the original thread that the recount would likely increase Trump's vote count and it urns out it did. :lol

But yeah, it makes me wonder why Trump's team has been so obsessed with stopping the recounts. You'd think they would want this to silence critics.

Same thing with the Russian hacking, Trump is taking a very defensive posture. It makes me think that they don't really know if anything will be uncovered or not, and they're deathly afraid of anything coming out that might delegitimize his election victory even by just perception.

Silver lining; this might give a boost to the public's trust in the voting system, which is a vital part of democracy.

The electoral college probably needs to go though.

RMI

Banned
I said in the original thread that the recount would likely increase Trump's vote count and it urns out it did. :lol

But yeah, it makes me wonder why Trump's team has been so obsessed with stopping the recounts. You'd think they would want this to silence critics.

Same thing with the Russian hacking, Trump is taking a very defensive posture. It makes me think that they don't really know if anything will be uncovered or not, and they're deathly afraid of anything coming out that might delegitimize his election victory even by just perception.

they probably still can't believe they won and are just waiting for the other shoe to drop. I'd be shitting bricks if I were them too.

borghe

Trump wants exactly what he got. Recounts that were not allowed to be hand recounts with electronic voting audits.

Silver lining; this might give a boost to the public's trust in the voting system, which is a vital part of democracy.

to the uninformed joe public, sadly this will probably make them feel good and cozy.

for me and many many many others of us, this is fucking terrifying. I'll restate... basically this means (potentially) if the electronic voting machines can be tampered with in key battleground states, and provide a win that is not stupid landslide but also beyond the margin of error, it can prevent a hand recount and machine audit. It sets precedent for basically tampering with the machines (that, again, are illegal in almost all other states)

Sephzilla

The electoral college needs to go or at least be reworked. The all-or-nothing system is flawed.

The electoral college needs to go or at least be reworked. The all-or-nothing system is flawed.

More states should do what Maine and Nebraska do and have gerrymandered districts. If those 2 states are allowed to have split electorals then all states should. Let everyone in their region of their state have their voices heard.

Enosh

the judge denied a mandatory hand recount but the final decision was still left to each county

http://elections.wi.gov/node/4481

Socreges

Banned

This should go in the OP

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
election fraud just isnt a thing you can organize to scale

too many moving parts

Election Fraud with paper is virtually impossible.
Shitty electronic voting machines, not nearly as impossible.

As I mentioned in the original topic, I also said unless there was an audit of the voting machines, then this recount would be a pointless exercise. Too bad we'll never get an audit. It would be nice just as a common practice to randomly audit machine votes just to ensure they functioned correctly and there was no tampering.

Morts

If they just had the machines spit out the number again how did he pick up 162 votes?

antonz

The "Irregularities" were literally the fact that Pre Election Polling did not match results. Recount was fine as its certainly within a candidates right to request it but the grounds for it was the flimsiest reason possible.

digdug2k

More states should do what Maine and Nebraska do and have gerrymandered districts. If those 2 states are allowed to have split electorals then all states should. Let everyone in their region of their state have their voices heard.
I love how my Midwest friends all say the EC is great because it lets their votes be heard while ignoring that 50% of their OWN State voted against them and wasn't heard at all.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I don't "believe" anything. I just know that a) all of the voting districts in three key battleground states that use electronic voting (which is illegal in most other states) all went to Trump when prior to Nov 8 they all trended toward Clinton,

What do polling experts and electoral fraud experts think of the evidentiary basis for this claim? If not fraud, what is a competing explanation for why this would have happened? Which story seems more plausible on its face?

Nibiru

Banned
I think if Stein had chosen a state Hillary had won also instead of just places Trump won she could have maintained some credibility.

The thing is that in order to fully exploit the disgruntled Dems and get the most donations it had to appear that she was trying to flip the elections so she had to pick only states Trump won and that really makes her look bad imo. I mean lets face it had she included a state Hillary won she probably wouldn't have gotten a 1/10th of the donations.

The idea of wanting recounts itself was totally fine it was just how she went about it was dodgy and felt like a strategic play to propel the Green Party. The best case scenario for her was that she got stopped by courts and could say she tried but they held her back or she raised a ton of cash but just shy of being able to actually do anything.

The good thing is that she hit all the goals, there was a recount, no fraud or hacks it all just backfired and I think has irreparably hurt the Green Party.

jfkgoblue

correct. because the margin in WI was so relatively large, the State Judge denied the motion for hand recount, a motion that WOULD HAVE required the electronic voting machines been audited and verified. Because of the denial, all electronic vote recording from the 8th was just spit back out. Nothing was actually proven either way here. They figuratively just hit play on the VCR recording of the 8th.

I don't "believe" anything. I just know that a) all of the voting districts in three key battleground states that use electronic voting (which is illegal in most other states) all went to Trump when prior to Nov 8 they all trended toward Clinton, and b) requests for recounts and specifically audits of said results (and thus the machines used) were all denied.

So basically Trump/Russia could have rigged, or Clinton could have just lost/failed miserably. We will never know.
Michigan doesn't use electronic voting machines

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Now at least Jill has an updated donor list. You all knew that's what this was really about, right?

Yep.

Thanks a lot Wisconsin...

BVbv7ZY.gif

Joke's on you...they're both Canadian.

I think that made the joke 10x better.

What do polling experts and electoral fraud experts think of the evidentiary basis for this claim? If not fraud, what is a competing explanation for why this would have happened? Which story seems more plausible on its face?

There is no basis in evidence for their being fraud besides our hopes and dreams. Actual mathematical analysis already proved that: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/demographics-not-hacking-explain-the-election-results/ and the fact that people haven't realized this is because most folks don't get the idea of spurious correlations

See http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

That said, there's going to be a glorious cottage industry of "experts" who are going to make bank by abusing "math" to prove there was fraud to a large group of people who desperately want to believe.

Dirca

Really gotta laugh at those that are upset over the outcome. Seriously, what did you expect? If Michigan is allowed to continue, (spoiler alert) it too will be nothing.

Dirca

I'm right here with you brother

What statistical anomalies are you referencing? The completely discredited NY Mag report which said Trump overachieved in rural counties which happened to be electronic voting machines? Just like he overachieved in rural counties around the US.

That statistical anomaly that was immediately discredited?

The story is either that Trump overperfomed in rural counties (just like he did around the US) or the Russians hacked the machines.

The whole recount was based on nothing. They guys who originally brought it up came out and stated that they never did a statistical breakdown like 538 and others did. Nor did they have any proof beyond Trump outperformed in regions they expected him to do bad in.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit

Well....this is pretty terrible. :/

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

Where is your proof? You're likely citing the fake news article that has been thoroughly debunked. The anamolies lineup with demographics as Nate silver and just about every other major pundits has already pointed out.

The cobfirmation bias and hypocrisy surrounding this whole thing is nauseating.

Edit- unless of course Nate silver is in Trump's camp? Right? We're essentially spewing baseless speculation as facts here so why not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom