• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jill Stein Drops Statewide Pennsylvania Recount Effort

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Jill Stein Drops Pennsylvania Recount Effort, Ending Unlikely Push Against Trump

Pennsylvania will apparently not have a statewide recount of its votes, removing the last long-shot hope by opponents of Donald J. Trump that a review of the ballots could overturn his election as president.

In a filing on Saturday, a lawyer for Jill Stein, the Green Party presidential candidate, who began the recount bids in Pennsylvania — as well as in Michigan and Wisconsin — said “petitioners are regular citizens of ordinary means” and could not afford a $1 million bond payment that was ordered by Pennsylvania courts.

Lawyers for Pennsylvania Republicans and Mr. Trump had asked a judge on Thursday to dismiss Ms. Stein’s request, saying she had not identified any fraud or illegal activity during the Nov. 8 election.

In a statement, Ms. Stein left open the possibility that she had further plans in Pennsylvania, and promised a “major announcement” on Monday morning. She criticized the $1 million bond needed to proceed with a recount.

“This is yet another sign that Pennsylvania’s antiquated election law is stacked against voters,” Ms. Stein said. “We will pursue every available remedy to ensure Pennsylvanians can trust what happened in this election.”

Ms. Stein is funding the recount bids, having collected $6.9 million as of Saturday evening. Opponents, though, are concerned that local governments, particularly in Michigan, will end up shouldering millions of dollars in costs.

A smaller recount targeting some precincts in Pennsylvania is still occurring.

While the statewide effort was withdrawn, a related campaign to recount votes in targeted precincts in places like Philadelphia is continuing, but it would fall far short of the statewide recount Ms. Stein had sought.

A bit more in the article on the progress of the WI and MI recounts including link to their own articles.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/03/us/jill-stein-pennsylvania-recount.html

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...aign-drops-her-recount-effort-in-pennsylvania
"Stein's campaign intends to continue its county-by-county recount effort in Pennsylvania, said attorney Larry Otter. That requires efforts in individual precincts, a process that requires three voters to petition their local election boards.

"In the region, a recount in Philadelphia is already underway in 75 of the city's more than 1,600 divisions.
Judges in Bucks and Delaware counties will hear arguments this week on whether to grant recounts, Otter said."

So people don't jump to conclusions about Stein running away with the money.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
The whole thing was a pretty obvious cash grab to begin with. Put whateve rhtey raised towards a halfassed recount, then pocket the rest. Easy money.

Geist-

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...aign-drops-her-recount-effort-in-pennsylvania
"Stein's campaign intends to continue its county-by-county recount effort in Pennsylvania, said attorney Larry Otter. That requires efforts in individual precincts — a process that requires three voters to petition their local election boards.

"In the region, a recount in Philadelphia is already underway in 75 of the city's more than 1,600 divisions. Judges in Bucks and Delaware counties will hear arguments this week on whether to grant recounts, Otter said."

So people don't jump to conclusions about Stein running away with the money.
Forgot that part from the article, she's at 6.9 million right now.

The WI recount is costing 3.5m by itself.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/scott-walker-wisconsin-recount-231887
They want another 500k apparently, so it's closer to $4m.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Green Party right now

BALLINROFL.gif

BajiBoxer

Banned
Pennsylvania has complicated rules and a higher bar for statewide recount. It was pretty clear the county by county thing was going to be the most realistic path.

Kettch

Lawyers for Pennsylvania Republicans and Mr. Trump had asked a judge on Thursday to dismiss Ms. Stein’s request, saying she had not identified any fraud or illegal activity during the Nov. 8 election.

What, a statement by your client, the President-elect, isn't good enough? Millions of illegal votes!

Velcro Fly

Take that money and put it into resources to help immigrants, women, LGBT, etc. that are going to be having a hard time under Donald Trump

Kilau

Gold Member
So the judge was ordering the petitioners (the 3 citizens) to pay a $1 million bond, that money I guess could not be paid by the Green Party. Also if it's $1 million for a recount in each district...lol

She's still gonna go with county-by-county recount efforts, she also has something to announce on Monday regarding the recount. We'll see what happens.

KingBroly

Banned
Recounts are relatively common election practices. Also, Green Party legally cannot pocket the money raised. It had to be used to do the recount.

The election system is flawed and needs work. At the very least, I hope this identifies that even doing a recount is overly difficult. It should not be.

https://www.democracynow.org/2016/11/30/jill_stein_recounts_are_necessary_because

All this is going to do is cause recount efforts like this to be shutdown. I call them "No Chance in Hell" laws where you can't file recount suits under certain parameters. Seriously, I read somewhere she might try some Constitutional grounds effort that'd take up to a year to complete. She is off her rocker.

PA will certify their votes on the 8th. And Michigan already did so today.

Trump's gained like 12 votes net in Wisconsin over 3 days, too.

This charade by her is simply embarrassing.

EDIT: Apparently she's going to file in Federal Court. wtf man.

Kilau

Gold Member
All this is going to do is cause recount efforts like this to be shutdown. I call them "No Chance in Hell" laws where you can't file recount suits under certain parameters. Seriously, I read somewhere she might try some Constitutional grounds effort that'd take up to a year to complete. She is off her rocker.

PA will certify their votes on the 8th. And Michigan already did so today.

Trump's gained like 12 votes net in Wisconsin over 3 days, too.

This charade by her is simply embarrassing.

EDIT: Apparently she's going to file in Federal Court. wtf man.

Yep, suing in federal court now to force a recount.

I was just thinking the other day how much I loved the 2000 recount and wanted to relive it.

KingBroly

Banned
Yep, suing in federal court now to force a recount.

I was just thinking the other day how much I loved the 2000 recount and wanted to relive it.

It's not going to go anywhere. This is not a disagreement between federal and state law. This is literally her trying to ignore state law which she refuses to accept. She has no standing here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom