• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jill Stein Launches Fundraising Effort To Ask For A Recount In 3 States

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfkgoblue

Russian hacking isn't a conspiracy theory though. They hacked the DNC, Podesta and at least attempted to gain access to voting related systems and databases in various states. And that's just the stuff we know about.

So saying that there is a massive Russian spy network to individually hack each machine isn't a conspiracy theory? The guy who started this even said that there was zero proof.

This is just like 2004 Ohio, Kerry was so sure he won and that there was fraud that he asked for recount after recount after recount. There was no change then either.

OuterLimits

Unless she were to win Pennsylvania, I think Wisconsin and Michigan don't matter. She lost by 70,000 votes in Pennsylvania, or about 1.2%. Hoping a recount can find that many votes to overcome a 70,000 lead, seems a tad unlikely.

Deku Tree

So the deadline for PA is past but they can still try to challenge the results in court and the deadline for that is Monday? What are the chances of the PA courts allowing a recount?

MIMIC

Banned
Unless she were to win Pennsylvania, I think Wisconsin and Michigan don't matter. She lost by 70,000 votes in Pennsylvania, or about 1.2%. Hoping a recount can find that many votes to overcome a 70,000 lead, seems a tad unlikely.

I completely forgot about the leads in the other states. 70K? Man, this IS a huge waste of time.

jfkgoblue

Hoping a recount can overcome the 10,000 votes in Michigan is <.001% alone, much less the 27k in WI or 70k in PA

gatti-man

You would have to find rampant tampering. It would seem incredibly unlikely.

Futureman

not sure why this is 8 pages long with people over and over questioning why Stein thinks there's so much fraud to overturn the election when right on the donation page it says:

The Green Party Platform calls for "publicly-owned, open source voting equipment and deploy it across the nation to ensure high national standards, performance, transparency and accountability; use verifiable paper ballots; and institute mandatory automatic random precinct recounts to ensure a high level of accuracy in election results."

Election integrity experts have independently identified Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin as states where "statistical anomalies" raised concerns. Our effort to recount votes in those states is not intended to help Hillary Clinton.

These recounts are part of an election integrity movement to attempt to shine a light on just how untrustworthy the U.S. election system is.

Read the bold. "Our effort to recount votes in those states is not intended to help Hillary Clinton"

Though people who think this is all about trying to flip the results are the ones funding this so I don't think Stein would complain. It's pretty smart of her to focus on these 3 states as she knew Clinton fans would donate.

CazTGG

There is pretty much zero chance that this would change anything.

It's like a super Hail Mary. Has basically zero chance of working, but it's like "...Well. I mean, I can still toss the fucking thing, what's the worst that could happen?"

To put it in perspective... the closest is Michigan with 10,000 vote win for Drumpf, 10,000 votes is A LOT of missing votes to come up with, and there just isn't a truck full of missing ballots to supply them.

So...pretty much the same chance as Merrick Garland being appointed to the Supreme Court. That's expected, but nonetheless disappointing.

notworksafe

So now it's jumped to even more money? Jesus, what a shady ass scam. Though anyone who donated really should have known better.

Jill Stein doesn't believe in vaccinations and thinks wifi causes brain cancer but she still managed to scam a bunch of dopes out of millions lol.

So now it's jumped to even more money? Jesus, what a shady ass scam. Though anyone who donated really should have known better.

Jill Stein doesn't believe in vaccinations and thinks wifi causes brain cancer but she still managed to scam a bunch of dopes out of millions lol.
If she uses the money for what she says she's going to do, is it really a scam?

Whether or not it has any bearing on the outcome is another matter, but if people are donating thinking this is guaranteed to change the results then that's on them.

Mii

Banned
If you missed it, the $6.5MM goal wasn't written in until later in the campaign and the original copy made the impression that $2.5MM would go towards covering the initial fees for all 3 states. See this post with Wayback links.

Looks like they may have started without all the necessary information. By around 700k (definitely by 1mm) they had some additional information. Who can pull up the archive version from around $1mm and $1.5mm?

Blader

Some of the reaching in this thread. You really think Jill is gonna take all the money and run to the hills?
What do you think she has been these last two campaign cycles? She will never be president, so any fundraising she does is a scam.

Russian hacking isn't a conspiracy theory though. They hacked the DNC, Podesta and at least attempted to gain access to voting related systems and databases in various states. And that's just the stuff we know about.

There no way the Russians could have done widespread hacking of the US voting system without someone noticing.

There no way the Russians could have done widespread hacking of the US voting system without someone noticing.

Maybe someone did notice, but it benefitted their choice of candidate, so they chose to keep it mum. Comey certainly didn't mind manipulating the system toward his own desired result.

Chumly

This is unfortunately playing on people's emotions. I guess if people want to waste their own money to give them peace that trump won rightly then whatever .

RPGCrazied

Wow, almost 4 million. This is so getting funded. Will be amazing to see them recount votes even if it doesn't do anything. This will get under Trump's skin. Watch.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Wow, almost 4 million. This is so getting funded. Will be amazing to see them recount votes even if it doesn't do anything. This will get under Trump's skin. Watch.

I guarantee that he doesn't care about this. He is probably donating money to it, since it makes his opponents look delusional.

Unless he is a Russian double agent who spearheaded a mass KGB infiltration of our election system down to the local polling stations across the entire Midwest, which is totally not a conspiracy theory. In that case he's probably sweating.

KingBroly

Banned
I guarantee that he doesn't care about this. He is probably donating money to it, since it makes his opponents look delusional.

Unless he is a Russian double agent who spearheaded a mass KGB infiltration of our election system down to the local polling stations across the entire Midwest, which is totally not a conspiracy theory. In that case he's probably sweating.

Michigan's already counted and recounted their votes. So, that state is pretty much decided. From Count 1 to 2, it went from a 13.1k to 10.7k lead for Trump. So doing another count isn't going to get you another 2400 votes. And that's if MI would allow another recount. If you extrapolated that kind of change to WI and PI, you'd see smaller gains in WI (less votes, bigger lead) and larger ones in PA (more votes, bigger lead), but still the same result.

BUT, that's only if all things remained equal:
http://billypenn.com/2016/11/23/a-p...llary-clinton-a-nightmare-scenario-explained/

Basically, because most of Pennsylvania's voting machines are so old and don't have paper trails, the majority of the state can't be recounted and the remaining areas can't make up for the 68k vote deficit Clinton faces. Stein would have to go precint-by-precint in order to show how her vote had been wronged in order to get recounts, which is extremely unlikely considering how few votes she got.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

This is absolutely a full blown conspiracy theory. As been stated over and over, the "anamolies" have been explained away as perfectly normal by analysts. This is a recount based on literally 0 evidence. It's speculation at very best, which again makes it a conspiracy theory, placing blame on some mysterious magic Russian hacker.

Crocodile

I'm sure it probably been posted in this thread already but I think a way more productive use of energy and money is to donate to Foster Campbell's Louisiana Senate Run-Off next month. It's a big longshot but if we can win it it makes it much easier for the Senate to block some of Trump's shitty appointments and legislation (we would have to flip fewer Republicans).

Campbell's website is here

Again its a longshot but a MUCH better use of energy/money and would have some tangible results if things work out for us :)

Mikey Jr.

To put it in perspective... the closest is Michigan with 10,000 vote win for Trump, 10,000 votes is A LOT of missing votes to come up with, and there just isn't a truck full of missing ballots to supply them.

Did they check between the sofa cushions?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

Again I disagree with this. It's like beating someone at a game and then watching them scour rule books and make excuses.

KingBroly

Banned
Did they check between the sofa cushions?

Good luck getting any "new votes" accepted at this point. It happened in 2000 with Florida and there was a SHITSTORM over them. And that was just from something found the morning after the election. 2-3 weeks after would be Hell on Earth.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Good luck getting any "new votes" accepted at this point. It happened in 2000 with Florida and there was a SHITSTORM over them. And that was just from something found the morning after the election. 2-3 weeks after would be Hell on Earth.

Oh hey guys check it out, we found this semi filled with 70,000 ballots... All for Clinton! Good thing we did an investigation right guys?

Damerman

So you mean they went through the proper channels to have their voices heard, rather than have a Hungarian billionaire work them into a frenzy and getting them to riot.

i don't mean to quote someone who was banned, but I'd like to know when this became such a huge deal for the extreme right? was it some kind of counter argument for when the left exposed the Koch brothers?

how?

Dirca

I don't think he's even addressed it yet and it's barely a blurb on CNN, NPR, local news( just to name a few). I wouldn't call wasting time and money to "prove" something that has very little evidence supporting it amazing. I am so not a Hillary (or Trump) supporter, but I respect her for conceding when she knew it was over and not wasting anyone's time crying for a recount. Stein is coming off like an even bigger loon than she did to start with

KingBroly

Banned
I don't think he's even addressed it yet and it's barely a blurb on CNN, NPR, local news( just to name a few). I wouldn't call wasting time and money to "prove" something that has very little evidence supporting it amazing. I am so not a Hillary (or Trump) supporter, but I respect her for conceding when she knew it was over and not wasting anyone's time crying for a recount. Stein is coming off like an even bigger loon than she did to start with

Well they apparently did this in 04 without anyone on the ballot, but that didn't lead to anything. I'm a bit weary of some of the numbers coming in on this fundraiser though. It looks pretty consistent at $3k every 4-5 minutes or so.

So...Michigan has certified their results and will do an audit in 90 days to flush out illegal votes, if my information is correct. The more I hear about how Michigan does things, the more I want their policies adopted nationwide. It seems very thorough.

In PA, she'll have to successfully challenge (i.e. prove that her vote totals were hurt) each precinct individually to get recounts. But I don't see how you can do that in a lot of precincts since they don't have paper trails. It seems fruitless and extremely suspicious at the same time. Only challenging in Democrat-heavy districts would be the best way to go about potentially changing results, BUT it would arouse suspicion if they were only done there.

As for Wisconsin...I still don't know about the state. All I know is Trump has a bigger lead there than he does in Michigan, and there are less votes to sift through.

daveo42

Banned
> Jill Stein initiates recount
> Recounts find Hillary winner in all three states
> Hillary has 278 EVs and becomes the president elect
> Jill Stein saves the future of the country

The irony

The only thing this does is give me unfounded hope that a Trump presidential win is indeed false. A recount is fine, but there aren't enough votes there to swing all three states back to Hillary.

MIMIC

Banned
Goal No. 2 reached

mZlJkUY.jpg

> Jill Stein initiates recount
> Recounts find Hillary winner in all three states
> Hillary has 278 EVs and becomes the president elect
> Jill Stein saves the future of the country

> Trump refuses to step down
> Protests turn to riots
> Massive destruction, possible anarchy
> Probably still better for America than a Trump presidency

Alienfan

I know shit all about US politics, so bare with me. So while hillary winning those swing states won't undo the results for presidency, wont it mean that mean the Democrats would control more branches of the government like congress?

Could there be a situation (regardless of likelihood) that these recounts don't change the outcome of the election but do provide a substantial indication of miscounts/tampering/fraud going on with the votes? What could realistically happen in that case? What would be the next step?

Wilsongt

Could there be a situation (regardless of likelihood) that these recounts don't change the outcome of the election but do provide a substantial indication of miscounts/tampering/fraud going on with the votes? What could realistically happen in that case? What would be the next step?

There's been no indication of fraud so far. The places boosting Hillary's popular vote numbers are coming out of states she already won. Not in these swing states.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom