• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jill Stein Launches Fundraising Effort To Ask For A Recount In 3 States

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBroly

Banned
This has stretch goals now?

It keeps increasing. If you notice, at the bottom of the page, it says $6-7 million is needed.

In Michigan, recount laws are as follows:
"Any candidate at the county, city, township or village level “who believes he or she is aggrieved on account of fraud or mistake in the canvass or returns of the votes” may apply for a recount of one or multiple precincts with the appropriate canvassing board. Mich. Comp. Laws 168.862."

Basically, she has to have probable cause she was "aggrieved." BUT it doesn't appear that she has any proof of it, isn't pursuing that avenue of possibility and is only doing it for integral purposes. Meaning, she has no standing and will not be accepted in court.

This is a scam.

This is a Kickstarter alright. And the results will be as disappointing as most of them.

At least in a kickstarter you get a plastic toy. Here you get a few votes that do nohing and line a voting rights attorneys pocket.

Seriously, this is being pushed by a firm that knows there is no tampering but are going to charge millions of dollars to fight it. They are going to make banks because they only have an opportunity to do this once every four years. This is their payday. Glad to see everyone is making sure they pay their mortgage. If they were really concerned they would be doing this probono.

RedHill

Banned
It keeps increasing. If you notice, at the bottom of the page, it says $6-7 million is needed.

In Michigan, recount laws are as follows:

Basically, she has to have probable cause she was "aggrieved." BUT it doesn't appear that she has any proof of it, isn't pursuing that avenue of possibility and is only doing it for integral purposes. Meaning, she has no standing and will not be accepted in court.

This is a scam.
Where does that quote say anything about proof or probable cause lmao? It straight up says "if he or she believes." Does it need to be spelled out?

Maybe someone did notice, but it benefitted their choice of candidate, so they chose to keep it mum. Comey certainly didn't mind manipulating the system toward his own desired result.

There is no way only Trump supporters would have noticed this. This is way too big for nobody to blow the whistle.
We had this conversation in the other thread. Voting statistics don't show any signs of foul play. Let it go.

TarNaru33

Banned
There is no way only Trump supporters would have noticed this. This is way too big for nobody to blow the whistle.
We had this conversation in the other thread. Voting statistics don't show any signs of foul play. Let it go.

Unfortunately the foul play has already affected the voting before the first vote was cast D:

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
This is a Kickstarter alright. And the results will be as disappointing as most of them.

Just like a Kickstarter, a lot of people who funded this are gonna be disappointed.

This really shouldn't shock me, because we're in a country that voted trump into the whitehouse... however the sheer amount of people who had to have donated to this is still shocking to me though. How can so many people genuinely believe this will actually do anything at all? And after a whole bunch of nothing comes from it, a ton of people are going to be let down again.

Kettch

This really shouldn't shock me, because we're in a country that voted trump into the whitehouse... however the sheer amount of people who had to have donated to this is still shocking to me though. How can so many people genuinely believe this will actually do anything at all? And after a whole bunch of nothing comes from it, a ton of people are going to be let down again.

It's basically like the lottery. Except instead of an incredibly miniscule chance that one person wins, there's an incredibly miniscule chance that everyone wins. Not surprising that people are playing.

*Splinter

It's basically like the lottery. Except instead of an incredibly miniscule chance that one person wins, there's an incredibly miniscule chance that everyone wins. Not surprising that people are playing.
This doesn't need to be about winning or losing, this should be about finding evidence of fraud - even if its not enough to overturn the states in question / the overall result.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

There is no miniscule chance. It's a conspiracy theory. While we're at it we should hold a fundraiser to investigate the moon landing.

Jackson

This is bizarro world.

Trump claims if he doesn't win then "the election is rigged and voter fraud is a real thing" and everyone makes fun of him, as they should. Now anti-Trumpers (I guess that's what I should call it? Jill Stein is doing this, so they aren't specifically Democrats or Hilary supporters per se...) are intent on doing what they thought he would do and suddenly "nah totally possible, let's give it a shot!"

I don't like Trump, but I do like salty hypocrites.

Kettch

There is no miniscule chance. It's a conspiracy theory. While we're at it we should hold a fundraiser to investigate the moon landing.

I'm comparing it to winning the lottery. 1 in 300 million odds.

If you hold 300 million elections, somebody's gonna try to fraudulently steal one of them.

I'd say the chances of this working are way higher.

This is a total waste of money, but so is playing the lottery. People like to bet on longshots for some reason.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I'm comparing it to winning the lottery. 1 in 300 million odds.

If you hold 300 million elections, somebody's gonna try to fraudulently steal one of them.

I'd say the chances of this working are way higher.

This is a total waste of money, but so is playing the lottery. People like to bet on longshots for some reason.

I don't think that's quite how it works, not to mention it would require fairly rampant fraud. The foundation of this is a supposed anamoly that was seen by a few unnamed "top computer scientists" , which was quickly shot down.

Seems to have slowed down now. Guess the $7m goal is too much?

There are likely only so many fools out there. I did like the fact that no one responded to my comment that this effort is being led by a voting rights law firm that is going to make millions off of dissaffected Hilary voters.

CDX

Seems to have slowed down now. Guess the $7m goal is too much?

I guess they have until the 30th before they need the total $7million

Because of you, recounts in Wisconsin and Pennsylvania are funded! Next up is Michigan.

Here are the filing fees and deadlines for each state:

Wisconsin: $1.1 million by Nov 25
Pennsylvania: $0.5 million by Nov 28
Michigan: $0.6 million by Nov 30

Those are filing fees alone. The costs associated with recounts are a function of state law. Attorney's fees are likely to be another $2-3 million, then there are the costs of the statewide recount observers in all three states. The total cost is likely to be $6-7 million.

mclem

I guess they have until the 30th before they need the total $7million

My interpretation is that they just need to meet the filing fee by each deadline, and then the remainder of the fund would go to litigating it, which would be funded over a longer period.

draetenth

This is bizarro world.

Trump claims if he doesn't win then "the election is rigged and voter fraud is a real thing" and everyone makes fun of him, as they should. Now anti-Trumpers (I guess that's what I should call it? Jill Stein is doing this, so they aren't specifically Democrats or Hilary supporters per se...) are intent on doing what they thought he would do and suddenly "nah totally possible, let's give it a shot!"

TBF, Trump did a lot of projecting during the election where he was often making claims about others doing something when he was the one doing it. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if claims of voting fraud/rigging was another projection (hell, didn't he outright tell his supporters to even vote twice to balance out the "rigging" the Dems were going to be doing?).

Still, don't see anything coming of this though...

TarNaru33

Banned
This is bizarro world.

When you say this, do you actually have people in mind? I am sure there are some people who thought like this, but I don't see the point in writing it out in the thread considering people want a recount for various reasons.

Trump wasn't going to accept the result simply out of spite, not due to any real voting fraud. Any voting fraud that could of happened would of been against the Dems considering the amount of play Russia, the Republicans voter ID laws, and even the FBI has been putting into U.S's election this year.

I do not think anything will come of it, but I don't mind using the Republican tactics against them so I can hear them whine as they are kept awake. I did not donate, but only because I can not afford to, the entertainment alone makes the donation worth it in my book.

The only issue here is it needs an actual investigation, not just a recount, which I am not sure if this covers doing such.

jWILL253

Banned
If it does turn out that there is evidence of shenanigans in the recount, a large, large, LARGE portion of the posters in this very thread are going to look like chumps.

Don't tempt the irony gods. They've already won 2016...

Boy, if the Founding Father just gave up we'd be stuck with the Articles of Confederation.

Its fucking disgusting and really privileged to say "give up".

Toparaman

Banned
This is bizarro world.

I'm not convinced the people funding this are the same folks who scoffed at Trumps claims.

If I donate a large amount, do I get a bonus reward. Do I get early access to the primary, or complementary inauguration tickets? Preferably, I'd like a premium package where I can pick my own president.
I mean, time is money and maybe I don't want to keep voting until until 2020 to get the president I want. Especially while my online friends are kicking my arse with maxed out Trudeaus and Merkels.

robochimp

It's over guys, we need to move on

There is no moving on guys. This is just the beginning of questioning and holding the future Trump administration accountable.

It's going to be similar to Gov. Scott Walker in WI, constant pressure has kept him from going hog wild with a full out conservative agenda and has left him as one of the most unpopular governors in the country.

Dirca

Now, just imagine if instead of wasting all this money on something that may not even happen (a recount) or will prove/settle nothing, that all this money was donated to a much more worthwhile cause- cancer research, children's hospital, homeless shelters, etc.
Just a shame to see all that money getting pissed away

Vestal

Gold Member
It's over guys, we need to move on

Stein just doing a great job playing into fears and seriously banking hard, she's asking for 7 million now lol

While I think this will go no where and it's a waste of money, there is no moving on from this election. People need to keep it fresh in their minds everyday and let it fuel them to do something about it, be it volunteer, donate, protest, run for office etc.

It's going to be a long 4 fucking years but we need to fight this every day.

If you guys read the actual thing she didn't only just now increase it to 7 million. The goal was always 6-7million to cover lawyer fees and such.

MaulerX

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...for-an-election-recount/ar-AAkJ8y5?li=BBnb7Kz

Good read. This is not going anywhere (hint: They've done this before). Total waste of money and it's sad because they're just feeding off of the losing camps desires to not have Trump as president. Most of the money is actually not for a recount, but for lawyer fees associated with taking Pennsylvania to court as the time to ask for a recount there expired. In order to get a recount a judge has to allow it. Insane waste of time and money.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...for-an-election-recount/ar-AAkJ8y5?li=BBnb7Kz

Good read. This is not going anywhere (hint: They've done this before). Total waste of money and it's sad because they're just feeding off of the losing camps desires to not have Trump as president. Most of the money is actually not for a recount, but for lawyer fees associated with taking Pennsylvania to court as he time to ask for a recount there expired. In order to get a recount a judge has to allow it. Insane waste of time and money.

Correct. You guys are just paying for a bunch of attorneys to make bank. Nothing will come of this other than attorney fees.

While I think this will go no where and it's a waste of money, there is no moving on from this election. People need to keep it fresh in their minds everyday and let it fuel them to do something about it, be it volunteer, donate, protest, run for office etc.

It's going to be a long 4 fucking years but we need to fight this every day.
How is another demoralizing defeat going to motivate people to keep fighting? Let's use our energy for things that can actually make a difference rather than some pie in the sky bullshit.

Calamari41

41 > 38

Good read. This is not going anywhere (hint: They've done this before). Total waste of money and it's sad because they're just feeding off of the losing camps desires to not have Trump as president. Most of the money is actually not for a recount, but for lawyer fees associated with taking Pennsylvania to court as the time to ask for a recount there expired. In order to get a recount a judge has to allow it. Insane waste of time and money.

Since it's not a conspiracy theory to believe that the Kremlin has sleeper agents manning the polling stations and sticking USB dongles into electronic voting booths all across the Midwest under the supervision of KGB commander Donald Trump, I can't imagine that any judge will deny the request.

notworksafe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom