• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: Green Party files for Wisconsin recount, audit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Green Party officials filed Friday for a recount in Wisconsin, following reports of voting discrepancies, and were seeking a deeper investigation into the election results, which handed the state to Donald Trump two weeks ago.

Wisconsin Green Party co-chairman George Martin said that they were seeking a "reconciliation of paper records" -- a request that would go one step further than a simple recount, spurring, he said, an investigation into the integrity of the state's voting system.
"This is a process, a first step to examine whether our electoral democracy is working," Martin said.

The announcement came as Green Party candidate Jill Stein's Thanksgiving fundraising blitz passed $5 million. The money is well beyond the $2 million mark the Green Party initially set, and Wisconsin party officials said that any additional money not used for the recount would be used to train Green Party candidates for local office. The goal as of Friday was to raise $7 million.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/25/politics/green-party-recount-wisconsin/index.html?adkey=bn

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Coming soon: Hillary elected president. Bernie made VP. Neo-nazis shrivel up and die in the light of the sun.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It's hard to believe the amount of good that could be done in the world if the $5 million specifically donated for this had been used for literally any charitable endeavor.

Edit: As always Stump is right as stated above this post.

I don't know what it will change but wouldn't it be a hilarious thing if the recount swung in Clinton's favor.

We are already in darkest timeline so why not.

Lulubop

giphy.gif

MIMIC

Banned
The money is well beyond the $2 million mark the Green Party initially set, and Wisconsin party officials said that any additional money not used for the recount would be used to train Green Party candidates for local office.

Interesting.

Red

It's hard to believe the amount of good that could be done in the world if the $5 million specifically donated for this had been used for literally any charitable endeavor.
That's where I'm at. The result ain't changing. That money could be better put to use toward Planned Parenthood, Advocates for Children, the Anti-Defamation League... any one of the many organizations that will soon begin fighting a hard four years.

Good.

Regardless of whether it changes things, with this election especially and its preponderance of foreign influence, including wide ranging hacks, we could use some peace of mind.

People need faith in the process, now and for the future.

it's sort of adorable how much money from emotional Democrats will go toward training Green party members how to campaign effectively in wisconsin

bsp

$5 million invested into planting trees would have been better. Or food. Or refugee support networks. Anything.

Brakke

Banned

This the perennial least interesting take on anything that ever happens. Any dollar spent on anything could've been spent on something else. You're not really going to shock anybody awake with this revelation.

I guess we all get frustrated sometimes.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Damn, Jill followed through!

Except where she mentions left over money goes to training green part candidates. It should stop as soon as the goal is hit not leave it open to siphon faux green party donations.

Edit-
This the perennial least interesting take on anything that ever happens. Any dollar spent on anything could've been spent on something else. You're not really going to shock anybody awake with this revelation.

No it's different because they are misleading people into thinking there is an actual chance this will change a damn thing. If people were aware of how pointless this is they'd likely not donate. People waste money all the time, but I feel people are being essentially scammed here.

Lol, with the GOP taking Congress and Senate, does anyone even want Hillary to be president? I'd much rather the GOP be the sole reason for blame and for the democrats to continue being pounded by the L so they can get their shit together. Also, what's in it for the green party? I don't understand the sudden doubts

RDreamer

As a Wisconsinite: Thanks for the unneeded stimulus!

Lol, with the GOP taking Congress and Senate, does anyone even want Hillary to be president? I'd much rather the GOP be the sole reason for blame and for the democrats to continue being pounded by the L so they can get their shit together. Also, what's in it for the green party? I don't understand the sudden doubts

The weird thing is if they found out she actually won, for some reason, that'd be the weirdest choice in the world for her. Pursue the presidency and get in, but completely split the country and have like 30% of voters go toward crazy conspiracies... or leave us with nearly half a decade of Trump...

Or alternatively, not even that. Even if we want to just restrict it to the realm of politics, while it's still a longshot, donating that money to Foster Campbell's Senate campaign in the Louisiana Senate runoff race would be something that at least has the potential of making some kind of difference. A low possibility, but at least that's a potentially surmountable battle. This has no chance whatsoever.

Even if both Wisconsin and Michigan were to somehow flip, which is immensely unlikely in of itself, it's still pointless unless Pennsylvania also flips, which is flat-out impossible with the deficit.

I get people are frustrated with the results, and that's tremendously understandable to me, but this is not a productive way to do anything about it an it really saddens me that this is what seems to be getting so much attention versus alternative options of making a difference that have at least a chance of doing something and getting something accomplished. It would be amazing to see Campbell getting this type of support to put up one last fight there this year if people want to have one and it's frustrating to see all this energy going towards something well-meaning and sympathetic but completely pointless instead.

bsp

This critique is missing the concept of measurable value. It is not simply about realizing that money can be spent on anything.

Xelinis

I want Trump out just as much as anyone here, but am I the only one that thinks this is all just a PR ploy by Stein to position herself better for 2020?

Polari

Jill Stein is trolling. All this thing is going to do is raise the Green Party's profile and build up their coffers so they can deny the Dems even more votes in 2020.

soco

Except where she mentions left over money goes to training green part candidates. It should stop as soon as the goal is hit not leave it open to siphon faux green party donations.

The original request also had some vagueness about money usage, which I quoted in the original request, which is why I refused to donate in the first place. I think it was frame in terms of 'if the recounts don't occur', but there was always something there suggesting they could use some of it for other uses.

People literally just want to throw money away on a vain hope huh.

Not, you know, donate to NASA who's funding is gonna be gutted. Not donate to an organization providing meals to Africa. Or a place that tries to install plumbing in remote areas so everybody has access to clean running water?

Sounds about right.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Do they get to keep the money if Hillary becomes the president because of this?

Yil1MW8.gif

I imagine they keep it no matter what. I don't expect anything to come of this but at least they're doing something, I guess.

KingBroly

Banned
A point about the "audit." The Audit, according to the Wisconsin Board of Elections, is a yearly audit that they perform on their machines to make sure they're up to code and as error free as possible. This audit was also already underway before the recount was filed for.

And another party also filed for a recount here, so...yeah.

Not, you know, donate to NASA who's funding is gonna be gutted. Not donate to an organization providing meals to Africa. Or a place that tries to install plumbing in remote areas so everybody has access to clean running water?
Why is this an either-or situation? How does this stop contributions to other causes?

This country can multitask.

The fact is, state sponsored hacks have been a shadow over this entire election, and now some are raising points that the electronic voting tallies might be suspect, at least in relation to the other voting methods. Regardless of the candidates involved I'd be for this.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

It is true that any dollar can be substituted for any other dollar, and it's also true that some things are more of a waste of money than other things, and this is a gigantic waste of money engineered by a shyster that's preying on peoples unresolved anxiety disorders by selling them bullshit.

soco

People literally just want to throw money away on a vain hope huh.

Sounds about right.

Why so surprised? How much do people spend gambling or on the lottery every year? People also even donate to long-shot candidates for office still.

there's always a "better" use for someone else's money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom