• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: Green Party files for Wisconsin recount, audit

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was over before it started. I've been saying repeatedly that they are just going to redo what they did already and its not this deep fraud investigation many were touting. There are no legal grounds for that.

Lol, she is getting a basic recount and she spent millions on that already. There is no money left to sue in WI.

I've been saying the same thing. People think that a re-count entails a full voter audit and a teardown of all ballot boxes.

Stein effectively got Clinton voters to fund her party for the next several years and WI got a nice shot of cash.

Trump said he lost the popular vote because of illegal voting. Just recount the whole thing.

This is the part that made me scratch my head. Why the hell would Trump agree with opposition that there was wide-spread voter fraud? If both sides are wanting a recount and/or believing there were millions of fraudulent votes, doesn't it seem obvious that a recount should be conducted?

KingBroly

Banned
Wouldn't matter either way.

It never really began.

This was all a fucking scam from Jill Stein.

This puts Trump at 276 (if you say recounts in WI and PA are pending), so a recount won't change the fact that he has the votes banked now.

EDIT:
This is the part that made me scratch my head. Why the hell would Trump agree with opposition that there was wide-spread voter fraud? If both sides are wanting a recount and/or believing there were millions of fraudulent votes, doesn't it seem obvious that a recount should be conducted?

He beat what he believes is a rigged system and still wants it fixed.

I assume he was referring to supposed illegal immigrants voting, which I don't think is even technically possible but who knows. But, as I've said before, a recount won't do anything for finding fraud, its just doing the count that was already done again.

This puts Trump at 276 (if you say recounts in WI and PA are pending), so a recount won't change the fact that he has the votes banked now.

My understanding it that those are the certified original results, so a recount hasn't been done yet assuming its allowed under Stein's plan.

I don't know if you are being sarcastic, but I think Trump said that because he acts like an angry 5 years old on twitter. People are just taking advantage of his stupidity by saying that Trump support the recount because of the illegal votes.

I assume he was referring to supposed illegal immigrants voting, which I don't think is even technically possible but who knows. But, as I've said before, a recount won't do anything for finding fraud, its just doing the count that was already done again.

what if someone wants to investigate the votes rather than the a recount? I think Jill should have done that instead of the recount. It just gets to prove that there a lot of stupid people on sides...sigh

IPVUvBD.jpg

mfw millions of illegals will get away with voting against god emperor trump

KingBroly

Banned

The New York Times wrote an article in 2010 about illegal immigrants who vote. So it's definitely possible. The question is how prevalent is it? And at what number do people go 'WTF? STOP THIS SHIT NOW!'

Ryzaki009

The New York Times wrote an article in 2010 about illegal immigrants who vote. So it's definitely possible. The question is how prevalent is it? And at what number do people go 'WTF? STOP THIS SHIT NOW!'

Considering many of them actually pay their taxes I see them as having more of a right to vote than Trump honestly. (Edited because absolutes are bad)

what if someone wants to investigate the votes rather than the a recount? I think Jill should have done that instead of the recount. It just gets to prove that there a lot of stupid people on sides...sigh

Well she waited way too long for anything like that. There are deadlines because the electoral college is required to make a final decision by December 19th. That was why the Bush/Gore Supreme Court decision went in favor of Bush, there wasn't enough time to fully audit everything and they went with status quo in favor of blowing up the entire election process.

Considering many of them actually pay their taxes I see them as having more of a right to vote than Trump honestly. (Edited because absolutes are bad)

Eh I mean I'm not opposed to productive members of society voting, its just a matter of the legality of it.

Steel

Banned

It's never been at a significant number. It's incredibly risky to try to register to vote as an illegal. If you get caught(which will happen if the people in charge of registering voters actually do their job), you're deported. You either do that, or vote under the name of another registered voter, who, if they show up will also get you caught and deported.

Calamari41

41 > 38
It's never been at a significant number. It's incredibly risky to try to register to vote as an illegal. If you get caught, you're deported. You either do that, or vote under the name of another registered voter, who, if they show up will also get you caught and deported.

Link to the numbers?

Calamari41

41 > 38
In order for non-citizens to vote they have to commit voter fraud. It's a subset of voter impersonation.

I thought that voter impersonation was pretending to be someone you're not. I'm talking about someone who registers to vote and lies about their citizenship status. Are you suggesting that there are only somewhere between 0 and 31 people in this entire country who are on the voter rolls and yet shouldn't be?

Steel

Banned
I thought that voter impersonation was pretending to be someone you're not. I'm talking about someone who registers to vote and lies about their citizenship status. Are you suggesting that there are only somewhere between 0 and 31 people in this entire country who are on the voter rolls and yet shouldn't be?

The ones that are on the voter rolls that shouldn't be are generally the recently deceased. which most voter impersonation cases take advantage of. Other cases of voter impression include fake registrations to vote that don't have any citizenship backing, which doesn't happen unless the people in charge of registration are not doing their jobs.

Look, consider how incredibly risky it is for illegal immigrants to try to vote. Then consider the fact that a lot of these illegals are in solid blue or solid red states(texas, california) where their vote would literally make no difference to the election. There's absolutely no justifiable reason for a struggling sub-minimum wage illegal immigrant family to risk voter fraud. It's idiotic to think that they'd do so in any significant numbers.

Yep. I will give Jill Wifi Crystals Stein credit for pulling off a successful con

I don't know why anyone was falling for it. it was obvious that this was a PR stunt from the beginning.

Calamari41

41 > 38
The ones that are on the voter rolls that shouldn't be are generally the recently deceased. which most voter impersonation cases take advantage of. Other cases of voter impression includes fake registrations to vote that don't have any citizenship backing, which doesn't happen unless the people in charge of registration are not doing their jobs.

Look, consider how incredibly risky it is for illegal immigrants to try to vote. Then consider the fact that a lot of these illegals are in solid blue or solid red states where there vote would literally make no difference to the election. There's absolutely no justifiable reason for a struggling sub-minimum wage illegal immigrant family to risk voter fraud.

It would be interesting to see what an audit of the California voter rolls would find. I know several people whose names would be dropped due to citizenship status.

Have any non-citizens been deported after attempting to register to vote? Or is the argument that none have ever made this attempt?

Steel

Banned
It would be interesting to see what an audit of the California voter rolls would find. I know several people whose names would be dropped due to citizenship status.

Have any non-citizens been deported after attempting to register to vote? Or is the argument that none have ever made this attempt?

A 2015 report from the conservative Heritage Foundation documented less than a dozen individual cases of noncitizens convicted of registering or actually voting since 2000. And in Texas, a city councilwoman was sentenced in 2007 to five years in prison for registering noncitizens to vote.

But such cases are rare, experts told us. Sarah Pierce, an associate policy analyst with the Migration Policy Institute, said there’s very little evidence of it, in part because the disincentives are enormous. It is an illegal offense for an unauthorized immigrant to vote — a deportable offense that makes a person permanently inadmissible for return to the U.S., she said.

http://www.factcheck.org/2016/10/trumps-bogus-voter-fraud-claims/

It's an idiotic thing to risk especially in states like California where it won't make any difference whatsoever. But there are, at best, hundreds that do it successfully and aren't caught. It's not enough to make a difference.

Calamari41

41 > 38
http://www.factcheck.org/2016/10/trumps-bogus-voter-fraud-claims/

It's an idiotic thing to risk especially in states like California where it won't make any difference whatsoever. But there are, at best, hundreds that do it successfully and aren't caught. It's not enough to make a difference.

Less than 12 convictions since 2000 leads me to the opposite conclusion, that there isn't much risk. I'm not trying to argue or anything, I'm just interested in what the official numbers are. I don't expect anybody to believe my anecdotes, and thus am not trying to change anybody's mind. It's just very interesting to compare the official numbers with my personal experience.

Thanks for dredging some of these numbers up, I appreciate it.

As I said earlier, I'm not opposed to productive members of society voting but it would be interesting to see how many non-legal immigrants are registered to vote in CA. Speaking from my own experience, there are a significant number of them who are enrolled in government assistance programs, so I can't imagine registering to vote would face any higher scrutiny than that. Purely scientific of course, because CA is as deep blue as it gets.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
When I was a LEGAL immigrant, I was terrified of committing a moving violation, because in theory that could get you deported.

The idea that an immigrant working for less than minimum wage would go vote, which could get him or her jailed, then deported, and have zero meaningful impact on their life anyway, is comical.

The idea that this happens in large numbers is absolutely confoundingly stupid.

Steel

Banned
Less than 12 convictions since 2000 leads me to the opposite conclusion, that there isn't much risk. I'm not trying to argue or anything, I'm just interested in what the official numbers are. I don't expect anybody to believe my anecdotes, and thus am not trying to change anybody's mind. It's just very interesting to compare the official numbers with my personal experience.

Thanks for dredging some of these numbers up, I appreciate it.

If it's going to happen, it'll happen in clusters where the locals know that the people in charge of registering voters are corrupt and won't get them permanently deported like in the Texas conviction case.

Calamari41

41 > 38
If it's going to happen, it'll happen in clusters where the locals know that the people in charge of registering voters are corrupt and won't get them permanently deported like in the Texas conviction case.

No snark, West Adams in LA and North Orange County must be two such clusters. The cases I know involve community organizer types rounding up everyone's info, kind of like the prosecuted case that you linked to, so that makes sense. Would be interesting to know how much of that goes on.

Isn't this just the final certification from the initial election, and not the results of the recount? She hasn't even filed in MI yet. Not that I expect it to change much, but wait for doom until it really happens.

Yep, those are the original election results finally being certified.

I don't know why anyone was falling for it. it was obvious that this was a PR stunt from the beginning.

People gullible enough to believe there was voter fraud despite minimal evidence are also gullible enough to believe in Jill Stein. She preyed on vulnerable people like all scam artists.

People gullible enough to believe there was voter fraud despite minimal evidence are also gullible enough to believe in Jill Stein. She preyed on vulnerable people like all scam artists.

She should have gone big and created a fake university instead, people who do that kind of thing can actually win the presidency.

ITT - people just say shit without knowing or caring what is really the case.

Unreal.

See above.

Rommel

Seems all rather pointless... missed the PA deadline. Without PA neither of the other two states matter. Of course this is as much publicity/money that the Green Party has ever gotten so I expect Stein to ride this train to the bitter end. States need to include a clause that you need to have obtained at least 5% of the vote to initiate a recount request. This end around that the Dem's are doing using the Green Party is laughable.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/p...stein-missed-recount-deadline/article/2608305

Ryzaki009

Eh I mean I'm not opposed to productive members of society voting, its just a matter of the legality of it.

Oh I agree it shouldn't be so difficult to get citizenship really. That said I highly highly doubt that even happened in great enough amounts to influence the election.

Trump's just such a manbaby accepting that many in the country feel he's human garbage causes him to go into a twitter fit.

crimnos

Seems all rather pointless... missed the PA deadline. Without PA neither of the other two states matter. Of course this is as much publicity/money that the Green Party has ever gotten so I expect Stein to ride this train to the bitter end. States need to include a clause that you need to have obtained at least 5% of the vote to initiate a recount request. This end around that the Dem's are doing using the Green Party is laughable.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/p...stein-missed-recount-deadline/article/2608305

? I'm only seeing the Examiner reporting this missed deadline, and they definitely have an agenda. Genuinely curious if there's another source on that. Here are a few sources that say the opposite:

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/...ecount-of-Pennsylvania-remains-difficult.html

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/28/politics/wisconsin-recount/index.html

Rommel

http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...tions-staff-layout-recount-timeline/94539210/

Hand-count rejected in Wisconsin

The Wisconsin Elections Commission set a timetable Monday for a recount of the presidential election but rejected a request to require a count by hand made by Green Party candidate Jill Stein, who quickly responded that she would sue

? I'm only seeing the Examiner reporting this missed deadline, and they definitely have an agenda. Genuinely curious if there's another source on that. Here are a few sources that say the opposite:

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/...ecount-of-Pennsylvania-remains-difficult.html

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/28/politics/wisconsin-recount/index.html

From the link you posted.

According to Wanda Murren, spokeswoman for the Pennsylvania Department of State, the deadline for a voter-initiated recount was Monday, Nov. 21. That would make a lawsuit the only remaining option for initiating a statewide recount.

bringing it to court only sky rockets the cost.. its fucking over.

Jill Stein: "...blah blah blah...because of the lack of funds to further proceed, we have no other options but to end the recount effort. I apologize for the inconvenience."
*pockets the rest of the $$$

Fuck you Jill Stein.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom