• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: Green Party files for Wisconsin recount, audit

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIMIC

Banned
What are you even talking about? She's not physically going to the state and physically overseeing the vote. Her volunteers are.

No kidding.

edit:

The Green Party got millions in cash. That is what is to be gained from this recount.

So Stein gets money, no votes are changed, the election rigging nonsense slogs on....and that's a good thing?

Jesus fucking Christ... The gymnastics to flex this shit into the "It's all Hillarys fault" column is fucking impressive.

The Wisconsin State Journal noted that Clinton was the first major-party nominee since 1972 to shun campaigning in the state.

It kinda is.

Mattenth

"In addition to winning the Electoral College in a landslide, I won the popular vote if you deduct the millions of people who voted illegally" @realDonaldTrump

Wow. Am I right in believing that this is evidence? This tweet gives legal standing to those who want to sue for an audit.

The President-Elect just said that there are millions of illegal votes. As a citizen, I demand an audit and independent review so that we can ensure the foundation of our democracy is intact.

Stunning. What a fucking stupid statement. Not only is it just dumb at face value (there aren't millions of illegal votes), but it's dumb because of its implications (giving reasons to do the recount).

Just imagine what it's going to be like when he's actually President. Every single one of these outbursts will be brought to court.

"Millions of illegal immigrants are stealing our jobs" - if the President says it, can't I sue the state or federal government to demand they stop?

Wait, wait.

He's saying he also won the popular vote because of massive voter fraud? Without any evidence to support that? But he doesn't want a recount?

My god. Words cannot describe how much I hate this man. I don't think I've ever hated someone as much as I hate Trump, and before him, the subject of my hate on was Ted Cruz.

Wait, wait.

He's saying he also won the popular vote because of massive voter fraud? Without any evidence to support that? But he doesn't want a recount?

My god. Words cannot describe how much I hate this man. I don't think I've ever hated someone as much as I hate Trump, and before him, the subject of my hate on was Ted Cruz.

Listen, there's no need for a recount because I already know there was massive voter fraud against me and I'm just so overwhelmingly magnanimous that I don't care, okay?

I'm willing to put this all behind us because I'm the bigger--hugest, really--man, and there's no reason to bitterly dwell on the enormous and very real fraud perpetrated by my cheating opponents in their failed bid to subvert democracy.

MIMIC

Banned
Wait, wait.

Was gonna post a thread, saw that there were already two....and got locked.

Oh well.

Where is the law that says the candidate has to physically campaign in a state before their volunteers are allowed to oversee polling boots and recounts?

Never mind. Forget I said it.

rykomatsu

Final deadline for states to send their official list of electors is on the 13th of December. No time to recount California.

California doesn't have a deadline to file for recount. Since Trump doesn't need CA EVs to win, technically this can be started whenever and the popular vote record updated whenever.

Glc3o5N.png

Clinton campaign lawyer summing it up

I am reading random reports that 2 counties in Wisconsin have already said they over counted for Thump by the sum of 5k. Is this just fake news that is making it's rounds on facebook again?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I am reading random reports that 2 counties in Wisconsin have already said they over counted for Thump by the sum of 5k. Is this just fake news that is making it's rounds on facebook again?

Yes. The recount does not start until later this week. I find it best to not click on 99% of the garbage people share around FB.

KingBroly

Banned

Yeah, that's fake. State of WI's election page still has it at 27k

Found a little nugget about Wisconsin law. If they don't finish the recount after 13 days, the original results will be certified for the Electoral College.

DR2K

Banned
Trump did lose a few thousand votes in the official count after an error was corrected. That's probably what they're referring to.

A few thousand votes? How does one even lose a few thousand votes?

Is there a way an individual can check and see the results of their own vote to ensure they voted for the correct party or an error of some sort at the voting machine?

Calamari41

41 > 38
I don't think Trump lost any votes in the automatic recounts. I believe that what happened is that those states were called for him when he had a certain lead, and that lead just went down by the time they were officially done counting.

I'm not sure, but some sites like Cook are posting this as truth, it shows roughly 5000 votes less than the results from the Wisconsin site for Trump. But I don't think the Wisconsin SoS has updated theirs recently to take that into account.

Ac30

I'm not sure, but some sites like Cook are posting this as truth, it shows roughly 5000 votes less than the results from the Wisconsin site for Trump. But I don't think the Wisconsin SoS has updated theirs recently to take that into account.

What is Cook?

soco

Yeah, that's fake. State of WI's election page still has it at 27k

Found a little nugget about Wisconsin law. If they don't finish the recount after 13 days, the original results will be certified for the Electoral College.

All states have until the 13th of December at the latest, anyway. Not that it matters.

KingBroly

Banned
All states have until the 13th of December at the latest, anyway. Not that it matters.

Yeah, but their law is 'you have 2 weeks or else' to make it general. Wisconsin's last recount took a month, so...this might be pointless. Honestly, they could throw out the recount right now simply on the technicality of Stein not paying the filing fee when she submitted the petition.

soco

Yeah, but their law is 'you have 2 weeks or else' to make it general. Wisconsin's last recount took a month, so...this might be pointless. Honestly, they could throw out the recount right now simply on the technicality of Stein not paying the filing fee when she submitted the petition.

That assumes the only point was to change the EC, which was never true.

There is nothing to be gained from this recount. Stein is apparently crazy and perpetuating the the GOP-fueled myth (started by Trump) that our elections can't be trusted. What is a recount going to achieve?

And now, Hillary's there.

(as for Trump, I'm not here to defend him. He's crazy and I didn't vote for him)

Because the recount is happening whether the HRC camp wanted it or not, it is happening. It only makes sense to be there to oversee something that is happening no matter what.

schnarf

What is Cook?

The Cook Political Report.
They have the most accurate/current election results.
If you compared the results in WI on say NYT, to the numbers that Cook has, Trump's total vote count has gone down by roughly 5,000 votes.

KingBroly

Banned
That assumes the only point was to change the EC, which was never true.

Trying to de-legitimize the EC and Trump's Presidency (Your party appointed you, you didn't win the EC, etc.) would be my guess. Assuming it gets that far, which it absolutely should not. If the states don't finish their recounts and/or certify by then, it's a real possibility that the House state constituencies will determine the next President and Vice President.

State Constituences (I'm a bit unversed in this one since it's uncharted territory, but here goes nothing)
- 50 state groups, 1 vote each
- All Congresspeople in each state vote to determine their state's choice for President
- States vote, President chosen
- Senate then chooses the VP by a majority vote
- This is done IF, and only IF, no person receives the needed 270 EC votes from the EC (This is the key factor here)

In terms of getting rid of the Electoral College, it's not going to happen. You'd need a Constitutional Amendment to re-write the entire thing. 2/3 of both houses to pass it, Presidential Signature, then 3/4 (38 I believe) of all states. I dunno about you, but I don't think that's ever going to be possible. The big thing that changed along the way was Congress locking down the number of House Members to stop growing, so the EC wouldn't grow as well. This is why you see states gain/lose EC votes with the census every 10 years. Personally, I think it's mastercraft.

This is driving me crazy. The purpose of a recount is not to CHANGE the result. It's to ENSURE the result.

And yet Trump and his supporters, who were all too happy to rant about "rigged systems" when it meant they might get to intimidate minority voters are now aghast at the idea of using a legally-established mechanism to verify the integrity of the voting system.

I'm well aware that the outcome is extraordinarily unlikely to change - so why be so upset about it? If he knows he won, just let it happen. It'll remove any doubts people might have and take away one of their potential lines of attack. A clean bill of health on the audit/recount would not delegitimize him; quite the opposite, in fact.

But no, he just can't STAND the idea that a lot of Americans really, really hate his stupid ass.

This is a good read: https://medium.com/@davidegreenwald/why-the-wisconsin-recount-matters-f9d6513d14b5#.h1flzwjq1

Summary is that an audit may bring to light more details of the voter suppression tactics in play, which I would argue is good as it makes it easier to combat them in future elections.

Also this, yes.

If anything, Trump's "I actually won but there were a bunch of illegal votes" shit seems like a prelude to further voter suppression efforts, to which his Justice Department (under J. Beauregard Sessions) will be a willing accomplice.

KingBroly

Banned
Also this, yes.

If anything, Trump's "I actually won but there were a bunch of illegal votes" shit seems like a prelude to further voter suppression efforts, to which his Justice Department (under J. Beauregard Sessions) will be a willing accomplice.

Telling people who aren't supposed to be able to vote they aren't allowed to vote isn't voter suppression.

Someone sent me a text paste of the Pennsylvania affidavit that Stein wants people to sign, for those curious.

1. My name is _______________. I am a registered voter in City, Borough, Township of____________, Precinct [insert number] ________________ ____,
__________________ County, Pennsylvania. I voted in this district in the election on November 8, 2016. I live at [insert complete street address] ___________________________________, ________ County, Pennsylvania. 2. Pursuant to 25 P.S. § 3154, I request a recount and recanvass of the vote for President of the United States and for United States Senate in the November 8, 2016 election in this district. 3. I believe that an error, although not apparent on the face of the returns, has been com mitted in the vote in this district. I also believe there is a discrepancy in the returns of this district. 4. My belief is based, in part, on the attached Affidavit of Alex Halderman, which raises grave concerns about the integrity of DRE voting machines us ed in this district.
See Ex. A (attached). 2 5. I request that the county board not just recanvass the votes cast on the DRE machines, but do a forensic analysis of the software and media inside the machines, to determine whether the machines have been hacked or tampered with. As the Halderman affidavit makes clear, merely recanvassing the votes on the machines will not detect whether the machines have been compromised. 6. At minimum, I request that a reasonable subset of the DRE machines be forensically analyzed by appropriate computer experts for potential tampering, malware, and/or hacking. 7. As a voter, and as a citizen of this country, I believe it is extremely important that votes are counted accurately in this election. 8. I hereby verify under penalty of perjur y that the facts contained in this petition and affidavit are true and correct to the best of my knowledge or information and belief.

This is not going to fly in Pennsylvania.

Telling people who aren't supposed to be able to vote they aren't allowed to vote isn't voter suppression.

You're missing the point.

There are no "millions of illegal votes". It's bullshit.

But the CLAIM that there were serves as justification for even more draconian voter suppression measures under the guise of stopping those nefarious illegal votes from happening again.

.JayZii

Banned
Fraud and disenfranchisement aside, maybe we should change the system to where the votes have a few days to be counted after election day so it can be done properly, rather than everyone rushing to count votes as quickly as possible the night of.

soco

Trying to de-legitimize the EC and Trump's Presidency (Your party appointed you, you didn't win the EC, etc.) would be my guess. Assuming it gets that far, which it absolutely should not. If the states don't finish their recounts and/or certify by then, it's a real possibility that the House state constituencies will determine the next President and Vice President.

The single biggest goal is to get publicity for Jill and the Green Party and potentially raise money for either/both -- if not directly through leftover money, then through goodwill from the publicity later. Beyond that, it's likely just to answer questions and bring closure, which is likely the case for many of the people who donated. Jill likely doesn't give a shit about that.

Plenty of people already see the EC as "de-legitimized" without the recount happening, and just as with W Bush and Obama, will never see him as a legitimate president. Those are the voices of a tiny, but vocal minority.

KingBroly

Banned
You're missing the point.

There are no "millions of illegal votes". It's bullshit.

But the CLAIM that there were serves as justification for even more draconian voter suppression measures under the guise of stopping those nefarious illegal votes from happening again.

If you don't think it's true, then ask yourself why he would be willing to say it? He only stands to lose from it if it's false. No one in DC likes him. Some merely will tolerate him. If he's wrong, no one will work with him, period.

Ac30

The Cook Political Report.
They have the most accurate/current election results.
If you compared the results in WI on say NYT, to the numbers that Cook has, Trump's total vote count has gone down by roughly 5,000 votes.

Huh, Bizarre.

Link

The Autumn Wind
If you don't think it's true, then ask yourself why he would be willing to say it? He only stands to lose from it if it's false. No one in DC likes him. Some merely will tolerate him. If he's wrong, no one will work with him, period.
Are you being serious right now? It's late and I'm tired.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Oh man.

I don't think you can do an audit in 2 weeks. Maybe 2 months. Maybe.

A full audit is impossible, but even a partial audit could be helpful.

He would be willing to say it because he's a moron who gets his news from Alex Jones. He isn't exactly known for his ability to politic beyond the next 5 minutes.

He says a lot of things that are blatantly false. They're part of his party line and how he operates as a politician at this point. He'll never lose any standing for lying on Twitter, and his lies generate publicity and serve to distract from things he doesn't want people paying attention to. His base is so locked into their echo chamber that they will accept anything he says as gospel.

StayDead

Why are people so against a recount?

Now there's rumours of tampering there should be a recount. If it changes nothing, it doesn't even make a difference, but at least it rules out tampering!

KingBroly

Banned
Are you being serious right now? It's late and I'm tired.

Politicians don't take that kind of blunt position often (at least not openly). It's the kind of statement politicians on both sides in D.C. would RELISH to hold over him if it were false.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom