• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jill Stein Launches Fundraising Effort To Ask For A Recount In 3 States

Status
Not open for further replies.

soco

Stein is basically fundraising using false hope here. Even though I'm sure she will use it as she says and I'm in the camp that would love for Hillary to pull a surprise win, it's not going to happen. Doing this using the public's money feels kind of emotionally manipulative.

let's be honest, with the amount of grandstanding that happens in congress with goverment shutdowns and other bs, and the amount of money spent on political campaign. say like teh amount of money raised to fight gay marriage, is far worse spent.

edit: 11:50 -- at 2.5 mil. target reached.

that's a crazy short period of time. if only we could do that for say education.

zulux21

not long now :p
12mHQra.png

MIMIC

Banned
goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllll

71iB2mS.jpg

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Sooooo....where does the extra money go? Shouldn't it stop accepting donations or something?

They're quoting a lot more to actually do it:

We cannot guarantee a recount will happen in any of these states we are targeting. We can only pledge we will demand recounts in those states.

If we do not raise enough for any recount (which is highly unlikely) we pledge to use the money for election integrity efforts and to promote systemic voting system reform. If we raise more than what's needed, the surplus will also go toward election integrity efforts.

Here are the filing fees and deadlines for each state:

Wisconsin: $1.1 million by Nov 25
Pennsylvania: $0.5 million by Nov 28
Michigan: $0.6 million by Nov 30
Those are filing fees alone. The costs associated with recounts are a function of state law. Attorney's fees are likely to be another $2-3 million, then there are the costs of the statewide recount observers in all three states. The total cost is likely to be $6-7 million.

I can't wait for the recount to show Trump won. Jesus, get over it already. He won, fair and square.

Also, these states are no obliged to do the recount. She can ask for the recount, but that doesn't mean she'll get it and odds are good she won't get the recount.
Especially when the person asking for the recount lost by millions.

Hmm... if they actually need ~$6 million, why did they do a $2.5 million initial goal? Do they lose all the money if they don't reach a goal?

edit: also, you would think there would probably be some attorneys that would do this pro bono?

Ms.Galaxy

I can't wait for the recount to show Trump won. Jesus, get over it already. He won, fair and square.

I've already accept he won, I just refuse to accept him as my president, so anything resisting his rule is alright with me.

By all means, let the anti-wifi vaxxer get her recount. If there's something, good. If there isn't, whatever. I already have everything planned for a Trump presidency, and many protest ideas for the coming future.

It's fantastic that this got funded so quickly! That's a good sign for America, really. Yes, I doubt that this will overturn the results of the election, but we need audits like this to know that our system actually is still fair. If you don't recount you don't know, and I think there is reason to want to be sure these counts were right, for as unlikely as it is if there is any chance something was messed with, we need to find that out! And regardless, this kind of thing should be done regularly anyway to make sure things are accurate.

On a related note, much of the Pennsylvania vote uses electronic voting machines with no paper record, so there's no real way to recount them. Seriously, they need to get rid of those and go back to paper; with no record, there's no way to be sure if the vote was actually legitimate or not. It's a huge issue in any close election. After the mid '00s most states got rid of no-record electronic voting machines, but not Pennsylvania apparently, sadly enough... unfortunate.

But yeah, regardless of the unlikeliness of the results being overturned, I'm all for this effort and hope the recounts happen. The Green Party's useful sometimes, apparently, such as when the Dems are being too nice to push for something like this... seriously, you don't win when you won't fight for your values and candidates. Even if it's unlikely, push for every vote you can.

Kettch

Stein is basically fundraising using false hope here. Even though I'm sure she will use it as she says and I'm in the camp that would love for Hillary to pull a surprise win, it's not going to happen. Doing this using the public's money feels kind of emotionally manipulative.

Yeah, I don't expect her to do anything shady here. The publicity it gets her is worth plenty, no reason to ruin it by trying to steal money.

I've already accept he won, I just refuse to accept him as my president, so anything resisting his rule is alright with me.

"I refuse to accept him as my president"

You can claim that and you can beat that claim into the ground, but regardless, he your president.
You are a citizen of the United States, he won the presidency of the United States.
He is your president whether you like it or not.

Ms.Galaxy

You can claim that and you can beat that claim into the ground, but regardless, he your president.
You are a citizen of the United States, he won the presidency of the United States.

Nah. I refuse to accept that. Also, I'm a dual citizen, I can easily revoke my citizenship here.

takriel

Yeah, I don't expect her to do anything shady here. The publicity it gets her is worth plenty, no reason to ruin it by trying to steal money.
That would be her political death sentence, anyway. People would be beyond angry at her if she just ran with the money.

I mean, well yeah. Statements like these really just mean 'he doesn't embody my values.' I don't think many are saying he literally is not the President of the United States (to them). It's just a dramatic 'fuck you.'

Nah. I refuse to accept that. Also, I'm a dual citizen, I can easily revoke my citizenship here.

kay whoops nvm

Ms.Galaxy

I mean, well yeah. Statements like these really just mean 'he doesn't embody my values.' I don't think many are saying he literally is not the President of the United States (to them). It's just a dramatic 'fuck you.'

Basically. He's the president, but fuck him, I refuse to give him an ounce of respect or even acknowledge his rule. He may lead this nation, but I don't care, I'm not listening to him or accepting his leadership.

kay whoops nvm

You had it right the first time. Yes, I do have dual citizenship, but I'm not leaving this country without a fight unless things get too bad for me.

kay whoops nvm

Again, he's your president as Obama was the president of the tea party members 4 years ago, but you didn't see rioting in the streets because they lost and they were giant rednecks.

MrNelson

Banned

The President-elect refused to accept our current president for the entirety of his 8 year term, why should we show him the respect he never gave Obama?

Again, he's your president as Obama was the president of the tea party members 4 years ago, but you didn't see rioting in the streets because they lost and they were giant rednecks.

Yeah, they just demanded that their representatives turned congress into deadlock over multiple years to make their non-President as ineffectual as possible.

Edit: Let's not forget the birther movement, which Trump himself was the head mascot of.

Pretty sure there were protests in red states when Obama won. Trump protests are just bigger and more obvious because

A) He has the higher unfavorables than Satan
B) Most of the protesters are young people with social media in cities.

Basically. He's the president, but fuck him, I refuse to give him an ounce of respect or even acknowledge his rule. He may lead this nation, but I don't care, I'm not listening to him or accepting his leadership.

Yeah. I feel you, man.

Yeah, they just demanded that their representatives turned congress into deadlock over multiple years to make their non-President as ineffectual as possible.

Edit: Let's not forget the birther movement, which Trump himself was the head mascot of.

So you mean they went through the proper channels to have their voices heard, rather than have a Hungarian billionaire work them into a frenzy and getting them to riot.

Amikami

Banned

As others have pointed out, yeah, there were riots (honestly assuming you mean protest which are totally different) so you're factually wrong. Secondly, purely on your points on protesting, there are legitimate reasons for people to be going "fuck you" to this incoming administration and protesting is within the right of the people, just as tea partiers had a right. Their reasons were bigotted for the most part. But many of us have real concerns. You illegitimizing those concerns don't do anyone any favors.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if people accept Trump or not, whether they mean it literally or figuratively. Not accepting him means they are ready to actually do something valuable.

Fergie

Banned
So you mean they went through the proper channels to have their voices heard, rather than have a Hungarian billionaire work them into a frenzy and getting them to riot.
Really going for the Soros angle? You could at least try and hide your true views for longer lad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom