• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jill Stein Launches Fundraising Effort To Ask For A Recount In 3 States

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geez, they raised another million in just 3.5 hours. Crazy.

EDIT: What are the odds that Trump will tweet about this in the next 24 hours?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Over 2 million now.

It's also worth noting that on the site it says that 2 million alone is needed for Wisconsin. Or perhaps it's a bit of word finagling since she also mentions the deadline. Either way it's confusing.

"Those are filing fees alone. The costs associated with recounts are a function of state law. Attorney's fees are likely to be another $2-3 million, then there are the costs of the statewide recount observers in all three states. The total cost is likely to be $6-7 million. "

Russian hackers actually did interfere with voting machines in the Ukrainian elections, so it's not beyond their ability.

Russian hackers clearly were targeting Hilary Clinton and the DNC throughout the US Presidential campaign.

Because of those two things, I wouldn't mind seeing an audit on a sampling of voting machines just to be sure that there wasn't any attempts. If there were attempts, I don't think it was widespread enough to affect the actual results, but it would be interesting to see just how far the hacking attempts went.

If this recount doesn't include an audit of some of the voting machines, then yes this is a pretty pointless exercise because it wouldn't even uncover hacking attempts. It's just going to give you mostly the same count from election night.

Are you talking about the machines that people vote on or the ones that count? Michigan uses paper ballots so unless there are Putin spies dumping ballots in boxes or stealing trucks you won't see anything and even then you would have no idea that it happened.

Again the guys who made the original stink already came out and said that their entire reason for complaining is because the polls didn't match.

A recount does not entail a voting machine audit. You are literally paying the people who did the original count to go back and recount. They may even do it by hand.

Donald Trump, an amoral orangutan who lost the popular vote by approximately 2 million votes, is legally our president and will probably remain so despite how catastrophic this is for this country and the world. Yet, I cannot help but smile at any sort of action that makes Donald "maybe my opponent should get jailed or killed" Trump and his cult queasy or uncomfortable. They should be reminded that their cult and cult leader are disliked at every chance, especially during this transition period.

Donald Trump has violated so many norms and has threatened so many of our communities, it is important to break some norms and pleasantries afforded to the usual election winner to remind everyone he is not normal or worthy of respect. Besides, breaking this norm is hardly a bad thing. It's important to verify the integrity of our electoral system and maybe this will jump-start efforts to do so.

Besides concerns of Russian or other foreign governments meddling in results, that's my main reason for supporting this.

Donald is not normal, he is still the same brain-dead pumpkin-pigmented lunatic who denied the fact that our first black president was an American; he's still the same candy corn-hued scarecrow who advocated nuclear weapons for more countries; he's still the same tacky faux-gold potato-for-a-brain anthropomorphic garbage who encouraged his supporters to beat up protesters.

He's vile. I'm OK with an attempt to show mass dissatisfaction with the election result, as long as everything is legal, safe, and ethical.

Are you talking about the machines that people vote on or the ones that count? Michigan uses paper ballots so unless there are Putin spies dumping ballots in boxes or stealing trucks you won't see anything and even then you would have no idea that it happened.

I'm talking about the machines that people vote on.

Again the guys who made the original stink already came out and said that their entire reason for complaining is because the polls didn't match.

Do you have a link for this? I probably missed it.

A recount does not entail a voting machine audit. You are literally paying the people who did the original count to go back and recount. They may even do it by hand.

Yeah that's what I figured and why I didn't donate. I'm more interested in the voting machines audit, so if the recount doesn't include that then for me it would be pointless.

Koomaster

Haha, if this actually turns up anything and changes the outcome I guess we should be giving thanks to Jill Stein next Thanksgiving? xD

Either way hope this is thoroughly investigated so it can put the issue to rest at the very least. It's concerning there are enough irregularities to warrant this in the first place though.

Ashodin

qM06QEA.gif

okay i laughed

JORMBO

Darkness no more
So where does the money go when the recount is denied because she has no proof and there is no way they messed up that many votes? Does she return it all? Does she keep it?

HarryKS

Donald Trump, an amoral orangutan who lost the popular vote by approximately 2 million votes, is legally our president and will probably remain so despite how catastrophic this is for this country and the world. Yet, I cannot help but smile at any sort of action that makes Donald "maybe my opponent should get jailed or killed" Trump and his cult queasy or uncomfortable. They should be reminded that their cult and cult leader are disliked at every chance, especially during this transition period.

Donald Trump has violated so many norms and has threatened so many of our communities, it is important to break some norms and pleasantries afforded to the usual election winner to remind everyone he is not normal or worthy of respect. Besides, breaking this norm is hardly a bad thing. It's important to verify the integrity of our electoral system and maybe this will jump-start efforts to do so.

Besides concerns of Russian or other foreign governments meddling in results, that's my main reason for supporting this.

Donald is not normal, he is still the same brain-dead pumpkin-pigmented lunatic who denied the fact that our first black president was an American; he's still the same candy corn-hued scarecrow who advocated nuclear weapons for more countries; he's still the same tacky faux-gold potato-for-a-brain anthropomorphic garbage who encouraged his supporters to beat up protesters.

He's vile. I'm OK with an attempt to show mass dissatisfaction with the election result, as long as everything is legal, safe, and ethical.

Wow. Hard man, hard. Wow.
Smoke weed everyday.
,pew

Tall4Life

Haha, if this actually turns up anything and changes the outcome I guess we should be giving thanks to Jill Stein next Thanksgiving? xD

Either way hope this is thoroughly investigated so it can put the issue to rest at the very least. It's concerning there are enough irregularities to warrant this in the first place though.

There really aren't any irregularities though. It's wishful thinking and people preying on the anxiety of those who hate Trump. If Hillary had won and people were demanding a recount of these states to see if there was fraud or other interference that would hurt Trump, 99% of the comments here would be saying how ridiculous that is. We should focus on what to do now and in the future rather than trying to change what legitimately happened in the past.

I'm talking about the machines that people vote on.

Do you have a link for this? I probably missed it.

Yeah that's what I figured and why I didn't donate. I'm more interested in the voting machines audit, so if the recount doesn't include that then for me it would be pointless.

https://medium.com/@jhalderm/want-to-know-if-the-election-was-hacked-look-at-the-ballots-c61a6113b0ba#.e5zelm67o

Were this year’s deviations from pre-election polls the results of a cyberattack? Probably not. I believe the most likely explanation is that the polls were systematically wrong, rather than that the election was hacked. But I don’t believe that either one of these seemingly unlikely explanations is overwhelmingly more likely than the other.

They have also stated they have no evidence.

Everyone can keep donating money, but you are essentially throwing it away to see if a couple of hundred votes move around.

Dirca

Gonna be a lot of upset and disappointed people (again) when the recount never happens, or when no fraud is discovered.

Ashodin

So where does the money go when the recount is denied because she has no proof and there is no way they messed up that many votes? Does she return it all? Does she keep it?

Election officials are in contact with her campaign. They will get the money and perform the recount. They basically said "Get the money, we'll do it."

They have also stated they have no evidence.

Everyone can keep donating money, but you are essentially throwing it away to see if a couple of hundred votes move around.

You are basically telling people to give up hope.

Election officials are in contact with her campaign. They will get the money and perform the recount. They basically said "Get the money, we'll do it."

You are basically telling people to give up hope.

Yeah I mean they get paid OT to do the recount. They don't want to do it because it will be a time sink but they all get paid.

Do people really think there are trucks full of tens of thousand Clinton votes hidden in a bunker somewhere and that they exit polls which line up with Trump victories were also wrong?

I'm telling people to stop being stupid with their money and use it for holidays or actually donating to worthwhile causes including campaigns.

statham

Gonna be a lot of upset and disappointed people (again) when the recount never happens, or when no fraud is discovered.

It'll satisfy me to know Russia didnot tamper with the actual voting booths. Its closure. I would bet most peeps that donated(I did not) feel the same way. Highly doubt many will be upset but rather relieved.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
FINALLY a recount! I laugh at all the GAFFERS who said it would never be done. People are way too pessimistic around these parts.

Donthizz#

people really think this is crazy Jill's idea? c'mon now. I just hope Hillary doesn't end up giving a cabinet position to her if this all works out 😛

Omadahl

Banned
If she pulls off this hail mary I'll buy a Jill Stein tinfoil hat and canvas for her next cycle. All jokes aside, this would be amazing.

LaNaranja

What is up with some of you guys? This is supposed to be NeoGAF. BELIEVE!

(I did't donate because I don't believe. Don't really understand the people getting super upset though. This is harmless at worst.)

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
It'll satisfy me to know Russia didnot tamper with the actual voting booths. Its closure. I would bet most peeps that donated(I did not) feel the same way. Highly doubt many will be upset but rather relieved.

A simple recount is not the same as a detailed investigation of the voting machines. Russia hacking the machines is straight up conspiracy theory nonsense. They are not connected to the internet you know.

NBtoaster

Looking over the 2000 recount, it's interesting how huge of an issue 'spoiled' ballots were. 175,000 people wrote in a candidate already on the ballot (causing it not to be counted by machine tallies) or didn't mark within correct space, or accidentally voted for 2 candidates or no candidates. Depending on how strict or generous the system for counting problematic ballot was either party could have won.

And that was just Florida. Everywhere there are people who can't follow instructions.

Nibiru

Banned

I don't think there will be closure. When this goes nowhere I bet Jill blames the system and says they stopped the will of the people or some shit and there will be a new stage of rage.

seat

Naysayers need to stop complaining about people donating money to this. It's essentially done and the goal will likely be hit in the next few hours. They should be asking about what happens next. If nothing happens, then so be it, because passion for the sake of our country has come out in full force tonight. That is symbolic.

Ashodin

Naysayers need to stop complaining about people donating money to this. It's essentially done and the goal will likely be hit in the next few hours. They should be asking about what happens next. If nothing happens, then so be it, because passion for the sake of our country has come out in full force tonight. That is symbolic.

It's a very symbolic victory. One that people hope has actual ramifications.

The voting machines are air gapped. It would require direct insertion is a USB to upload a file that knows exactly how many Clinton votes to delete independent of the other machines it had no contact with.

It also requires rigging the exit polls which lined up with the votes.

A recount does not check any of these things.

statham

A simple recount is not the same as a detailed investigation of the voting machines. Russia hacking the machines is straight up conspiracy theory nonsense. They are not connected to the internet you know.

Stuxnet worm initally had no internet connection! :p was done through USB drives. If peeps are paying to see this, and mostly likely its nothing, then its closure. It'll die down right after they find nothing.

Hitman

Give up hope for what? A Hillary Clinton presidency?

Yes. People should give up hope.

This recount is more than just getting Clinton the white house. How about ensuring that our elections aren't being tampered with by Russia? How about adding more doubt to the legitimacy of Trump as President.

People should give up hope for a Hillary Clinton presidency. That doesn't mean people shouldn't use gestures like these to send a figurative middle finger to our president elect (who lost the popular vote by 2 million votes).

Wow. Hard man, hard. Wow.
Smoke weed everyday.
,pew

Wow, good comment, wow. We need to be totally chill and nice about the guy who has an alt right ghoul at his right hand side, wants to appoint a racist AG, and thinks a nutcase general who believes Sharia Law is spreading in the US should be his national security adviser.

You're right, it's all about a smooth transition to power from a flawed but sane administration into a corrupt and incompetent administration that we are now counting on to handle things like the North Koreans. Maybe that makes sense for Obama and Clinton, but that doesn't apply to everyone else in the same way.

Yeah, I name called. So what. Don't follow his example, grow some thicker skin. I'm sure the 6 foot rotten pear will survive.

Tall4Life

This recount is more than just getting Clinton the white house. How about ensuring that our elections aren't being tampered with by Russia? How about adding more doubt to the legitimacy of Trump as President.

And when that "doubt" produces nothing but only makes Trump's presidency more legitimate because we proved with almost absolute certainty that he won fair and square? Alright then.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Its very unlikely, but if the US can hack foreign nuclear centrifuges, its certainly possible. Security is undoubted far more lax on voting machines. Nothing will likely come of this, but It'll be another interesting page in the story, I guess.

And when that "doubt" produces nothing but only makes Trump's presidency more legitimate because we proved with almost absolute certainty that he won fair and square? Alright then.
Its already legitimate. It can't get more legitimate.

notworksafe

Then everyone will move on to the next way to try and get the vote to change. Electoral College and recount aren't gonna do it, what can we come up with next? Maybe Gary Johnson will have a good idea by then!

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.

If anything does happen then this sets a very bad precedence for future elections. Don't like the result? Just pay for a recount! It's not like you need any evidence of fraud, right? All this does is give people false hope while cheapening the election process.

Also, passion and symbolism? Okay, sure. But at least admit it's wrapped in bitterness and desperation because their side lost.

Hitman

If it proves that he won fair and square so be it. Then we continue on with hoping we can fight back through protest, through speaking up, and doing pretty much all the things were doing right now anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom