• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jill Stein Launches Fundraising Effort To Ask For A Recount In 3 States

Status
Not open for further replies.
It could easily lead to war on multiple fronts

Which is why if this goes through and if it turns up significant issues, no foreign power will be (publically) linked to it. Domestic stooges would get hell rained on them, and there'd be one hell of a reprisal, but nothing that would require a declaration of war. Nobody actually wants WW3.

seat

As much as I don't want Trump to be the president, the ramifications of finding fraud of the scale required to nullify his win would be devastating for democracy in the US. Possibly even worldwide, honestly.

If fraud is found and Clinton truly did win in these states, then we didn't win in a democracy to begin with and we need revolution. If not, no harm no foul, right? We need to stop being afraid. This is a cause worth donating.

danm999

You make it sound like that's the only thing she ever said about the comparison between Trump and Clinton.

I mean the only other thing I can find her saying is a Facebook post that between a vote for Hillary 'status quo' Clinton and a vote for Trump she's ready to protest on the streets in Trump's America.

If there's more where she's clearly saying Hillary is the better choice elsewhere I haven't seen it, but am happy to be corrected.

How? If there is voter fraud going on in this country, it needs to be investigated. Even if it turns out there was no fraud and the recount does little, it gives some people a sense of closure.

How could anyone be against a recount? What have we got to lose???
You have to lose your hard earned money. This is just throwing it away and will provide no closure for anyone. At this point there is 0 evidence of fraud.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
If fraud is found and Clinton truly did win in these states, then we didn't win in a democracy to begin with and we need revolution. If not, no harm no foul, right? We need to stop being afraid. This is a cause worth donating to.

Fucking thank you.

I simply cannot deal with the passive attitude towards this. This country has been through some shit. Going through it again should be expected.

You have to lose your hard earned money. This is just throwing it away and will provide no closure for anyone. At this point there is 0 evidence of fraud.

Who are you to say what constitutes as closure for some people? The people donating I'm sure are well aware that things can go in the opposite direction.

Dang man, this country is gonna be even more divided after this happens, ain't we? Whew, I'm wondering how this is gonna turn out. Honestly surprised that people are going for it as it seems out of reach, but you never know what could happen until it's tried. Feels almost as crazy as Donald Trump becoming POTUS!

Tall4Life

This seems bizarre as she openly admitted to supporting Trump over Hillary in her Facebook post. To me, it looks more like an attention grab in an attempt to stay relevant. You made the bed so lay in it.

Ashodin

I don't see the harm if you're donating only some of your money, something you would use on say like a discounted game or something. Something like this is more useful to me.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Worth noting that article has the caveat of stating that without a recount we would not know.

This is our chance to know!

Since when are recounts done based on such little evidence of any actual wrongdoing? Is this a 'just in case' recount? That's ridiculous and has no precedence.

I don't see the harm if you're donating only some of your money, something you would use on say like a discounted game or something. Something like this is more useful to me.
I'm not going to tell you how to spend your disposable income. What I am concerned about are the people who can't afford to donate money but doing it anyway in a fools hope for a 0.1% chance fraud is found. No responsible politician would ever back something like this.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
I'm not going to tell you how to spend your disposable income. What I am concerned about are the people who can't afford to donate money but doing it anyway in a fools hope for a 0.1% chance fraud is found. No responsible politician would ever back something like this.

Jesus people can't even spend money on what they want to anymore. Whether they can afford it or not is their own business.

And now every politician who supports this is irresponsible? How? For looking out for voters and ensuring their votes count?

Ashodin

Since when are recounts done based on such little evidence of any actual wrongdoing? Is this a 'just in case' recount? That's ridiculous and has no precedence.

It's not, it's based on the statistical anomalies other election integrity people have raised concerns about.

You're not telling me. I'm telling you that the likelihood of people donating to this cause more money than they have are likely to be few and far between.

What we do find in this is the question. We can't ask the question if we don't have the courage first.

Jesus people can't even spend money on what they want to anymore. Whether they can afford it or not is their own business.

And now every politician who supports this is irresponsible? How? For looking out for voters and ensuring their votes count?
They are irresponsible by asking people to pay for it themselves when there is almost no chance of success.

So they are going to recount the votes that were counted. Are people really expecting fraud to the extent of tens of thousands of Clinton votes to magically show up?

Despite the lack of any indication of hacking ( as confirmed by the guys who were in the hacking story) this will not be an audit and tear down of every machine.

What do people think actually happens in a recoun?

Ashodin

There are many things that could happen. The idea is to get it started so we can find out if there's anything there or not. It's basically the age old "You won't know until you try."

Calamari41

41 > 38

People are being sold false hope, and those of us who can see that find it distasteful.

High profile recounts which involved actual high numbers of known contested ballots being entered into the totals only changed the deficit by hundreds of votes. Florida 2000, Minnesota 2008, etc. The idea that a recount of an uncontested vote would make up a 10,000 vote deficit, much less a 60,000 vote deficit, is absolutely crazy and for people to raise money based on that hope is wrong.

I wish I could earn 100K every 20 minutes almost at 2.0 already
So they are going to recount the votes that were counted. Are people really expecting fraud to the extent of tens of thousands of Clinton votes to magically show up?

Despite the lack of any indication of hacking ( as confirmed by the guys who were in the hacking story) this will not be an audit and tear down of every machine.

Best case scenario? That would be nothing happens the numbers are pretty much the same or a perfect match

worst thing that could happen is fraud is found and Hillary won 1 or more of those states
the shitstorm would be super ugly

I did not donate for a Hillary victory I donated because these kind of things need to happen to make sure there are no questions and the popcorn of watch Trump reaction is gold

MGrant

CoWZ05t.gif

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
There are many things that could happen. The idea is to get it started so we can find out if there's anything there or not. It's basically the age old "You won't know until you try."

This is not why recounts happen. People are so insanely mad that Trump won they are grasping at the smallest straws ever with shit like this. It's kinda sad really. Everyone here would be lambasting anyone who would try the same thing if Trump lost, and rightfully so.

Ashodin

Meme magic will only get you so far.

Recount is happening.

This is not why recounts happen. People are so insanely mad that Trump won they are grasping at the smallest straws ever with shit like this. It's kinda sad really. Everyone here would be lambasting anyone who would try the same thing if Trump lost, and rightfully so.

You can't equate. Trump losing and doing so would obviously be hilarious and lambast worthy because it's Trump. You're basically saying that he's the same as Clinton. Except it's not Clinton doing the recount. It's Jill Stein's people. It has no implications whatsoever for Hillary except beyond shenanigans happening.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
even though im hopeful for the 3 state recount

what i expect is this:

Recount in Wisconsin
Denied in MI, Denied in PA

Vestal

Gold Member

Machine recounts are known to give different results every time they are run. They are imperfect. Now the variations would not be so wild as to switch a total by such a large percentage but keep the following in mind.

In 2000 Bush was ahead by roughly 1,784k votes. After the mandatory machine recount the AP had Bush up by 362 votes.

Russian hackers actually did interfere with voting machines in the Ukrainian elections, so it's not beyond their ability.

Russian hackers clearly were targeting Hilary Clinton and the DNC throughout the US Presidential campaign.

Because of those two things, I wouldn't mind seeing an audit on a sampling of voting machines just to be sure that there wasn't any attempts. If there were attempts, I don't think it was widespread enough to affect the actual results, but it would be interesting to see just how far the hacking attempts went.

If this recount doesn't include an audit of some of the voting machines, then yes this is a pretty pointless exercise because it wouldn't even uncover hacking attempts. It's just going to give you mostly the same count from election night.

This isn't gonna show anything, but people are free to spend their money how they want.

That said, I'm kinda surprised recounts don't happen automatically when a candidate wins only the electoral vote.

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
Over 2 million now.

Wisconsin: $1.1 million by Nov 25 Almost there!
Pennsylvania: $.5 million by Nov 28
Michigan: $.6 million by Nov 30

It's also worth noting that on the site it says that 2 million alone is needed for Wisconsin. Or perhaps it's a bit of word finagling since she also mentions the deadline. Either way it's confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom